*****Track and Field 2022-2023*****

68,854 Views | 630 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by taylorswift13
TRM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
triniaggie said:

Clearly, we need some change in the distance department having scored probably just once in the last 15 years. We need a coaching change or better recruits. I don't believe we cannot find just one athlete who can score in the distance events or steeplechase.

It all depends on the scholarship allocation. McRaven is doing okay with what he has to work with.
taylorswift13
AG
Thanks for the breakdown! I wish we knew the scholarship allocation, but with 18 scholarships you should be able to spread it around! Texas has sprinters, hurdlers, mid distance, multis, and throwers, Florida has everything, Georgia even has throwers, tech has sprinters, hurdlers, jumpers, multis, and throwers. Dismissing events may have worked in the early 2010's, but it's clearly not working now. Pat Henry uses the same excuse every year and says it's okay we've won with a small group before, but nowadays people are scoring from all event groups. Our short sprints, throws, and distance performance at nationals has been subpar. We're suppose to load up on 400 runners, yet only one scored and we got our butts kicked in the 4x400.
taylorswift13
AG
TRM said:

triniaggie said:

Clearly, we need some change in the distance department having scored probably just once in the last 15 years. We need a coaching change or better recruits. I don't believe we cannot find just one athlete who can score in the distance events or steeplechase.

It all depends on the scholarship allocation. McRaven is doing okay with what he has to work with.
and we have solid girls, what I hate the most is how Pat Henry never runs a girls DMR all season till conference or runs a weak lineup. It's idiotic. We have solid depth at 400/800 to put someone in there and we had Gemma Goddard and Annie Fuller and we only ran it once at conference and weren't far off from a top 12 spot, that's poor coaching…

Aside from that I'm excited to see the growth of our distance program! Aside from Fuller every girl returns. So our entire xc team will be back on the girls side and we're adding solid cross runners in Amanda Hogan, Carson Parker, and others! On the mens side we lose a few but added an excellent transfer in Romano Francesco and Chandon Chhikara, and some quality high school runners. I believe Brady Grant transferred to Bama though. Although Arkansas and Texas are going to be so tough to beat…
taylorswift13
AG
All it takes is one scholarship, one scholarship to possibly land a stud distance runner! One that can score and help a DMR indoors!
TRM
AG
Why worry about Brady? It's not like he was scoring points...
TRM
AG
taylorswift13 said:

All it takes is one scholarship, one scholarship to possibly land a stud distance runner! One that can score and help a DMR indoors!
You'd need 2 for the 2 important legs of the 1200 and 1600. We really couldn't run a DMR early on as Annie couldn't run.
taylorswift13
AG
TRM said:

Why worry about Brady? It's not like he was scoring points...
I meant more for cross country as he was a solid runner and a part of our 5! Although I've heard from runners from other schools that his attitude after some races wasn't very Aggie Core Value friendly…. LOL
taylorswift13
AG
TRM said:

taylorswift13 said:

You'd need 2 for the 2 important legs of the 1200 and 1600. We really couldn't run a DMR early on as Annie couldn't run.
true but that's me expecting one our other runners can step up and run a good leg lol
taylorswift13
AG
After I get my law degree and start working I'm starting a collective for distance runners to TAMU
taylorswift13
AG
For some good news around here, I heard the Texas A&M Track Camp went really well!! Lots of great Texas runners were in attendance and some solid vaulters as well!! I heard great feedback! It also helps when you have 4 world championships competitors in Mu, Miller, Young, and Distin taking pictures and signing autographs with everyone!
triniaggie
AG
Mason Corbin goes to Clemson. I guess after graduating he is using his remaining eligibility at Clemson.
taylorswift13
AG
Wow before even setting foot on campus, one of our top recruits Joy Moorer is now signed to Colorado… this is bull***** https://www.instagram.com/p/CfrpjbPv3jg/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
triniaggie
AG
I knew this would happen and some would decommit with exodus of athletes.

It seems like we are not even attracting anyone from the transfer portal. All schools are announcing their transfers. It seems like Arkansas men have taken a lot of top athletes from the portal

taylorswift13
AG
I'm losing faith in this program day by day. I still have hope we can resurrect this and contend, but I also see this program falling apart piece by piece. I'm just hoping we don't lose any of top guns cause I'm sure the message right now is that Pat Henry doesn't have it anymore and that this program is on a decline
TRM
AG
How many people that have transferred out scored points at nationals?
taylorswift13
AG
Well only like 1 guy and a relay scored at nationals so that's a trick question! But man it hurts, I've been following Joy Moorer since Mustin committed and was so excited when she became an Ag! Really expected her to come and hit a 56 as a freshman

That Tara Gittens is washed up now but scored points back in the day
TRM
AG
Now, I am worried about our short sprints, but I've worried about that since the end of the Anderson era. We lack horsepower there. We've points from horizontal jumps to vertical jumps, but it's not enough. The 400 and 800 groups are strong. I'm fine with people transferring out to bring in others that can score at nationals. I think we bring in some foreign talent at the mid-term.
taylorswift13
AG
I could see that happening! A male jumper would be nice just sucks we won't have a strong 4x100. Hopefully Camryn Dickson isn't worried so much about relays
triniaggie
AG
Crazy how a 4th place team at NCAA could fall apart but there must be other factors contributing to this that we are not privy too.
I thought we were seeing some progress with the sprints under Kurt Henry but it seems like the athletes believe otherwise.
I keep saying there are some many international athletes would do anything to come to A&M but we continue to persist with athletes who are not really committed to the school and would make a big issue on social media which would obviously encourage recruits to decommit.

I notice also that Joy Moorer had remove aggie commit from Instagram profile some time ago and I just knew it was coming
wangus12
AG
At what point while watching this implosion does the University have to be thinking about making a move. Something seems super wrong
taylorswift13
AG
What's going to be important is how we replace Deborah Acquah and if Charokee Young and/or Lamara Distin go pro… then we will really be in deep hurt
Guest Commenter
triniaggie said:

"I keep saying there are some many international athletes would do anything to come to A&M..."
Coach Henry targeted the Carribean athletes he wanted but it was Coach Waters who did all the trench work of making connections with coaches, counselors, and so forth. He was recruiting coordinator during the heyday and when he left for Alabama that void was never filled. Waters continued to take advantage of the connections he made and not only got good sprinters to follow him but expanded his foot with distance talent. He was Roger's coach when she won here. Our other talented recruiters are not in that sprint niche like Waters was as they are known for their work in 400 & 800. They all recruit each athlete though and we will need a coordinated effort of convincing these new recruits that we can take them places within their ability right here. Unfortunately recruits don't care about your growing pains. A&M will live and die with Kurt and Camryn; he will take her up and A&M into a new promised land or he will miss the mark and take A&M into oblivion. He may only get 1 year with Camryn - if development doesnt turn with her.
Guest Commenter
wangus12 said:

At what point while watching this implosion does the University have to be thinking about making a move. Something seems super wrong
Most ADs always have a short list of contingency plans. When the men's basketball team had great defections last season, surely admin was taking note but nothing drastic nor harsh was spoken nor put into public consumption. Coach has not won anything here on a national level, however.

Bjork may or may not have agreed with the hiring of Kurt but he was not going to 2nd guess unto deterring a hall of fame coach. Do you remove a hall of fame coach who continues to put your institution in the position to be top 3 every year. If that is underachieving to fans then who do you replace him with and who is coaching their institution to a higher consistent level than A&M. Surely, their is talent unproven who could get the job done but why do you pull that trigger. Track and Field News and Milesplit have written articles lauding A&M's classes over the last 3 years. You don't pull that trigger because of defections but only when your recruiting and end result are no longer top5/in the mix. Bjork is watching, as any good admin would be doing, yet he will not be emotional like fans.
TRM
AG
Guest Commenter said:

triniaggie said:

"I keep saying there are some many international athletes would do anything to come to A&M..."
Coach Henry targeted the Carribean athletes he wanted but it was Coach Waters who did all the trench work of making connections with coaches, counselors, and so forth. He was recruiting coordinator during the heyday and when he left for Alabama that void was never filled. Waters continued to take advantage of the connections he made and not only got good sprinters to follow him but expanded his foot with distance talent. He was Roger's coach when she won here. Our other talented recruiters are not in that sprint niche like Waters was as they are known for their work in 400 & 800. They all recruit each athlete though and we will need a coordinated effort of convincing these new recruits that we can take them places within their ability right here. Unfortunately recruits don't care about your growing pains. A&M will live and die with Kurt and Camryn; he will take her up and A&M into a new promised land or he will miss the mark and take A&M into oblivion. He may only get 1 year with Camryn - if development doesnt turn with her.

Waters wasn't Rogers coach when she won. Dan left in 2011 and McRaven coached her in 2012 to her NCAA title and Olympic trials run. Aside from that I agree Waters did a ton of great recruiting for us.

VanHootegem and Behm are underrated coaching losses as well.
Guest Commenter
TRM said:

"Waters wasn't Rogers coach when she won. Dan left in 2011 and McRaven coached her in 2012 to her NCAA title and Olympic trials run."
Thanks for the factoid. I stand corrected.
TRM
AG
That's what I'm here for and to rag on Coach Hon.
Guest Commenter
lol - to which you have been consistently true to form; he's still not one of your favorites 1 year removed!
triniaggie
AG

I believe our coaches still have some Caribbean connection even after Coach Francique left. Coach Francique help recruited many Caribbean athletes.

Coach Mallard would have been to Jamaica several times and liaise with Hydel school track coach where both Charokee and Distin attended.

The current NJCAA 200m champion and 100m runner up Jerod Elcock is from Trinidad with some impressive times (9,92w for 100m and 20.17w for 200m). He runs for the club Deon Lendore used to run for.
I assume Pat Henry would know Deon's club coach very well as he was also guess to Deon's coach in Trinidad for his funeral.

There are also Europe, Africa and Down Under to recruit.

Guest Commenter
I agree that the international talent pool is ripe for the taking and probably with interest from athletes.
We have had some great athletes come here: one was 2nd all time in the jav while another was a few inches short of being a 57' triple jumper. For all of Henry's success at getting them here, these athletes took spots from American athletes who may have had interest in coming here too but for whatever reason these international athletes did not remain here through their eligibility. Perhaps there is some hesitant skepticism on Henry's part going after them. National points are just that so I am sure he is willing to take that 1 or 2 year stint; it's just a matter of him finding the talent to score who also wants to come here.
aggiedrjdub
AG
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfrtn8HvZnc/?igshid=NDBlY2NjN2I=
AggieSwim16
Heads up….this fall Julia Black will be Julia Abell. She married 2nd Lieutenant Jacob Abell on 7-7-22. If the name sounds familiar he was last year's Band Commander.
triniaggie
AG
Since the firing of TCU track coach Darryl Anderson, some of TCU top athletes have entered the transfer portal including
Robert Gregory - Sprints 100m (10.20) 200m (20.34)
Devin Roberson - Discus (190'11") Shot Put (58'0.25")
taylorswift13
AG
YES!! Go get 'em Pat Henry! TCU is full of sprinters and jumpers!
Aggie02
AG
What about his nephew? We can't let him go for a better coach.
taylorswift13
AG
LOL

And tu's top distance runner Yaseen Abdalla transfers to Tennessee, Tennessee loading up on the distance runners

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.