*****Track and Field 2022-2023*****

68,226 Views | 630 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by taylorswift13
triniaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

The SEC just got more insane with Leroy Burrell going to Auburn

Leroy Burrell named Auburn track and field head coach - Auburn University Athletics (auburntigers.com)

Maybe we can look at some of the Houston sprint athletes from the state of Texas who might enter the transfer portal
gigem1966
Why would they come to A&M? Seems like they would follow him to Auburn or stay at UH. I would love to get some real sprinters.
Aggie02
AG
Thanks for kicking this off. Looking forward to a bounce back season.
taylorswift13
AG
Guess this goes here now…

Landon Helms sitting in 6th in the Nike Nationals Decathlon! 3489 points! But I expect him to move into medal contention LIKE CRAZY after the Pole Vault and 110 hurdles where he can blow away the field!

100 - 11.09
Long Jump - 21'0.5
Shot Put - 39'5.25
High Jump - 5'6
400 - 50.87

Retakes the lead in day 2 after a huge 13.92 in the 100 hurdles and a 139'9 in the discus, winning both events! He is currently in the pole vault where his lead should go up drastically!
taylorswift13
taylorswift13
AG
Landon Helms wins the Nike Outdoor Nationals Decathlon for high school! Would have put him 68th in the nation collegiately! In an event where progress is key, that is outstanding! A year in a collegiate weight room where he could work on throws as well, and he could easily be top 30 next year! It's also his first decathlon of the season! Way to go young fella!

https://live.athletictiming.net/meets/17184/events/621640/combined
AggieSwim16
I am so excited to watch him next year! Following him on Insta and he is an incredible hard worker with a strong desire to be the best!!
taylorswift13
AG
Lol Dominique Mustin announced through a YouTube video she is transferring and has been in the transfer portal for over a month. She had a rough year going 2:09 in the 800, and only cracking sub 60 in the 400 hurdles once after a 57 last year. For example Deshae Wise tan the event for the first time this year and was able to go under 56… She also mentioned she was on a full ride scholarship, so I'm sure we will upgrade without a doubt her high school teammate Joy Moorer who will be an incoming freshman will already be an upgrade. Now let's go get a sprinter or another hurdler! Crazy how much effort and dramatization kids put into things like the transfer portal, these kids are wild nowadays lol, best of luck to her wherever she lands!

triniaggie
AG
I think too it would be a struggle for any athletes to be in the shadow of your best friend Athing Mu.
Anchorhold
I also feel weird when surrounded by shorter people. Best of luck to her.
taylorswift13
AG
Ole Miss Distance Coach leaves for a head coaching gig at Cal Poly
Anchorhold
Any potential tranfer pickups?
taylorswift13
AG
I'm hoping soon! The transfer portal is loaded from what I've heard, visits and recruiting pitches have been going on all across the nation this week! I'm assuming the rest of this week and the next few lots of transfers will be moving around. Hopefully we get our share! I'm on the lookout! Ole Miss did have a 1:46 800 guy signed, maybe he looks elsewhere now that his coach is gone
triniaggie
AG

Quote:

University of Texas athletes cashed in on over $2 million in the year since collegiate athletes have been cleared to make name, image and likeness deals, according to UT records.

Records obtained by the Austin American-Statesman show that 154 Longhorns sealed 418 NIL deals for a total of $2,039,180 from August 1, 2021 to April 30, 2022.
triniaggie
AG
Oregon Coach Robert Johnson contract will not be renewed

UO Statement Regarding Leadership of Track and Field and Cross Country Programs - University of Oregon Athletics (goducks.com)
triniaggie
AG
Someone on Letsrun has posted that Laila Owens is in the transfer portal and tu might be after her.

If that is true, I am more worried about our sprinting now.
taylorswift13
AG
WTF is Pat Henry doing… if that's true he's just being played by Flo and letting it happen
triniaggie
AG

This is the post on Letsrun forum

Quote:

As of now i don't have any updates on any more recruits. I think its some jamaican men coming to the 40acres but i wont know for sure till July or early august that's usually when they release their incoming class. But my intel mentioned they might be looking at laila owens of a&m I believe she is in the portal and Dillon Bedell of baylor but im not sure when i get more info believe i will post it lol. But i know texas will be ready for next season with whatever squad they have Flo is a man with a master plan.
triniaggie
AG
Letsrun forum has indicated that Laila Owens is transferring to Florida
gigem1966
Are Henry and his staff even awake? We are being lapped by Florida, Texas, etc!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Is a coaching change in the works?
taylorswift13
AG
F this
triniaggie
AG
Zhane Smith to Texas Tech
taylorswift13
Ag4eva95
WTF is going on??
taylorswift13
AG
Pat Henry better make some moves or else this is going to look very bad! Our two fastest sprinters gone the same day. We were already thin at the event now our womens sprinting is merely non existent… WTF PAT HENRY! I have zero words
Sports-Ag
AG
I'm not sure what's going on but I can't say I'm surprise. The sprints lately has not been good for the Ags. NIL can play a huge part in this but not sure if the athletes feel the coaches are the best if the athletes are leaving and injuries plaguing them.

Also, not surprise Mustin is leaving. I watch her YouTube videos from time to time and she did not look happy in them. Looks like she had a great time last year with her teammates and Athing but this year was different. She didn't have a roommate and looked alone in her videos. She responded to a comment on her transfer video and said,

"The training at A&M did not fit me. Therefore goal is to find a school that has training better suited for me & hopefully start seeing the progress & results I want."

Coach Henry needs to have a coaches meeting asap and see what is going on.
shady
AG
Probably should have hired a real sprint coach instead of his nephew.

Our sprints on both the mens and women's side have dropped off significantly.
taylorswift13
AG
Remember Coach Pat Henry doesn't believe in NIL and thinks it shouldn't be legal… while other coaches are embracing it!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Well that's not good news. Old school doesn't work anymore. We are now in NIL, crypto and NFT times!
triniaggie
AG
Meanwhile at the Jamaican Championship Tina Clayton won the under 19 100m in 10.96 breaking their junior record

Jamaica National Championship Meet
JAAA National Senior& Junior Championship - 6/23/2022 to 6/26/2022
National Stadium

Event 5 Girls 19 & Under 100 Meter Dash Under 20
=====================================================================
Sponsor: TVJ
WORLD U20: % 10.88 7/1/1977 MARLIES OELSNER, GDR
Nat. Junior: R 10.97 6/5/2021 BRIANA WILLIAMS
WORLD QUAL: M 11.90
Name Age Team Finals Wind
=====================================================================
Finals
1 Tina Clayton 17 Edwin Allen High 10.96R 1.0
2 Serena Cole 16 Edwin Allen High 11.13M 1.0
3 Tia Clayton 17 Edwin Allen High 11.25M 1.0
4 Kerrica Hill 17 Hydel High School 11.26M 1.0
5 Alana Reid 16 Hydel High School 11.41M 1.0
6 Alexis James 18 Petersfield High 11.44M 1.0
7 Lavanya Williams 17 William Knib 11.61M 1.0
8 Mickaila Haisley 16 Immaculate C 11.68M 1.0
Guest Commenter
All these transfers. 'Disappointed' is honestly not the proper word. 'Sad' is a more appropriate feeling; it almost seems like a death in a family.

If this is true, I can only surmise that for all these sprint athletes to be leaving( all of good quality) then there must not be a true sense of awe amongst them to stay amidst other phenomenal athletes. For that to be the case may indicate that the consensus among these athletes is that A&M is either not developing them OR that there has been some type of incident within this running group which the handling of by 'staff' was so inept or off point that it ultimately soured the entire bunch against A&M altogether. Oh my - what a sinking feeling this is. To have watched this program since about 2007 to see this is ...

A&M track and field has been my saving grace after my mom passed in 2006 and my father in 2011. I have looked forward to these times of the year for uplifting and pure enjoyment. I won't complain because I have received too much joy from this sport through A&M even though this is heartbreaking.
taylorswift13
aggiedrjdub
AG
I think NIL is huge and if Pat Henry is against it then we won't keep up with Arkansas, Florida, Texas, or the others. Usually when stuff like this happens, something is going on internally (look at womens basketball this year).
triniaggie
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.