***** Formula 1 - 2022 Season *****

254,292 Views | 3136 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by NewOldAg
gggmann
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mts6175 said:

Is HAAS finally turning the corner?
What's interesting is they have found pace w/out bringing any upgrades to the car. Now they are ahead of Alpha Tauri in the standings. If they could get in front of Alpha Romeo to 6th then that would really be something.
tailgatetimer10
AG
With the way the team is performing, got to think this is simply a matter of when and not if
NewOldAg
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

htxag09 said:

I will say as a casual watcher the track limit penalties and seemingly randomness and quantity of them is annoying. I would kind of just rather modify the track so it's not beneficial to test the limits. Curbs, gravel, etc.

They have to do something about this. In this race it was a bit much

I was listening to The Race podcast and they were talking about the need to remove sausage curbs. Sausage curbs are used to disincentivize exceeding track limits, but can launch a car into the air, so The Race argued that the risk/reward says it's better to remove them.

The solution, as The Race concluded, was to enforce track limit penalties, which removes the need for sausage curbs. Then Austrian happened 4 days after the podcast. And everyone hates track limit penalties. Bring back the sausages, I guess.
PJYoung
AG
NewOldAg said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

htxag09 said:

I will say as a casual watcher the track limit penalties and seemingly randomness and quantity of them is annoying. I would kind of just rather modify the track so it's not beneficial to test the limits. Curbs, gravel, etc.

They have to do something about this. In this race it was a bit much

I was listening to The Race podcast and they were talking about the need to remove sausage curbs. Sausage curbs are used to disincentivize exceeding track limits, but can launch a car into the air, so The Race argued that the risk/reward says it's better to remove them.

The solution, as The Race concluded, was to enforce track limit penalties, which removes the need for sausage curbs. Then Austrian happened 4 days after the podcast. And everyone hates track limit penalties. Bring back the sausages, I guess.
At COTA we watched 2 different cars get launched into the air by those sausage curbs at T1 with both drivers receiving pretty brutal back injuries as a result. Those injuries led directly to F1 removing the curbs after Sebastian Vettel complained.

Quote:

W Series driver Abbie Eaton has revealed she suffered two fractured vertebrae after making contact with one of the Circuit of the Americas' sausage kerbs.

Quote:

recent injuries Abbie Eaton (W Series) and Christian Weir (F4) suffered broken backs at COTA

NewOldAg
AG
Don't forget the F2 near decapitation that happened at Silverstone.

I think enforcing track limits is the right way to go, but it's funny how F1 fans can flip on a subject so quickly. Unless a 3rd option arises, it's either sausages or penalties.
An Ag in CO
AG
It's a pretty tough nut to crack:

• Sausage kerbs - effective but higher risk
  • Time penalties for track limit violations - pretty straightforward, but annoying as hell (see Austria)
  • Increased gravel traps to punish track limit violations - tends to reduce the number of cars that finish a race and the teams and sport don't like that one so much anymore
XpressAg09
AG
htxag09 said:

That safety/fire crew looked incompetent right there
They definitely put Sainz at risk with their slow response but good on him for holding the brake til they got there...he definitely rolled through more than his fair share of smoke during the ordeal.
AgGrad99
AG
One of the things that always bothers me, happened in this race.

Russell causes a wreck, which takes Checo out of the race. Checo/RB get zero points as a result, which has a big impact on the driver and team standings. For that, Russell gets a 5 second penalty, and is able to finish 4 and get 17 points.

That always bothers me, because I dont think the punishment is equally weighted to the impact of the incident.

But all that said, I dont really have a good solution. Accidents happen, and he didnt mean to do it. But that always makes me feel bad for driver/team who get knocked out of the race.
SydB92
AG
I had the same thought. Would grid penalties (maybe 3-5 spots) make drivers leave more space or would they just quit assessing penalties.
Gladiator 96
AG
aggiejumper
AG
Which race gets the axe? Monaco, France, Spa, somewhere else?
XpressAg09
AG
As "processional" as Monaco is, can they ever really get rid of it?
McGibblets
AG
Spa has probably had the most rumors about not being able to reach a deal, correct?
jorgerr96

A lot of workers at Silverstone were worried about Spa. Heard France sucks so they should just get rid of that one as well.

Kinda sad to lose Spa and get Miami and Vegas.
NewOldAg
AG
I would hope for France, but I understand that logistically and financially, Spa is probably the one getting cut.
aggiejumper
AG
Spa and France should rotate each year. Spa is a great track to watch on tv.

What happens when China gets back on the schedule?
Russia is out for a long time but Miami/Vegas/SA are net pluses.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
XpressAg09 said:

As "processional" as Monaco is, can they ever really get rid of it?

Monaco is usually boring as hell, but the day they drop Monaco is the day I'll stop watching F1.
gggmann
AG
aggiejumper said:

Spa and France should rotate each year. Spa is a great track to watch on tv.

What happens when China gets back on the schedule?
Russia is out for a long time but Miami/Vegas/SA are net pluses.
No, Spa needs to be on the calendar every year. Spa, Silverstone, Monza, and Suzuka once Japan opens back up are the must have tracks IMO.
aggiejumper
AG
Agree 100% but if they have to cut, I'd rather a rotation instead of no Spa
Gladiator 96
AG
Rumor is Spa ..

ac04
nai06
AG
Damn who did Yuki Tsunoda piss off

FTAco07
AG
Would have been funny to leave Danny Ric's picture normal
htxag09
AG
I mean I half watch NASCAR, haven't watched a race this year. But I can't really think of any fat drivers, why'd they default to adding 100 lbs to these F1 drivers?
nai06
AG
It looks like the original post for these was F1 drivers as truckers
htxag09
AG
Not F1 but relevant to the recent curb convo

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cf1zNsEKYwv/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y
cap-n-jack
I hate that, Eau Rouge is my favorite complex in all of F1. That being said it's dangerous. I thought it was going to be re-worked but seems like a mute point now.
AgGrad99
AG
htxag09 said:

Not F1 but relevant to the recent curb convo

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cf1zNsEKYwv/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y
Whoa
gggmann
AG
cap-n-jack said:

I hate that, Eau Rouge is my favorite complex in all of F1. That being said it's dangerous. I thought it was going to be re-worked but seems like a mute point now.
It was reworked after last year's "race". It's actually not that dangerous for F1 cars now because it is taken flat out (not sure if that will still be the case after the rework). Back when they had to lift it was much more challenging.
'03ag
For F1 the danger isn't in the difficulty of the corner.

The danger is in what happens when someone goes off at the top of the hill. Cars are coming flat out over that hill completely blind.
gggmann
AG
'03ag said:

For F1 the danger isn't in the difficulty of the corner.

The danger is in what happens when someone goes off at the top of the hill. Cars are coming flat out over that hill completely blind.
My point was with the corner being taken flat out since they stopped using V10's it is easier for everyone, so you don't see the offs and accidents that you used to see. I remember back in 1999 when both Villeneuve and Zonta crashed trying to take it flat out in practice. That doesn't happen anymore unless it is wet.
NewOldAg
AG
Apart from the safety, I've heard Spa has yet to upgrade its facilities. The ingress and egress and the overall crowd numbers are lower than most other tracks.
Gladiator 96
AG
sharpshot
What's going on with hamilton? Haven't been keeping up as much this season, Mercedes car just not performing?
TopFlightReject
sharpshot said:

What's going on with hamilton? Haven't been keeping up as much this season, Mercedes car just not performing?

Pretty much. The Merc W13 just hasn't been able to keep up with Ferrari and RB this year with the 2022 regs. It's been coming around lately but it had some issues at the start of the season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.