***** Formula 1 - 2022 Season *****

251,504 Views | 3136 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by NewOldAg
Robert C. Christian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That "Yacht Club" is something, just not what.
NewOldAg
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Fair points. I get that F1 is the premier league and what all future drivers will strive for but again just seems very limiting as far as opportunities and surely there will still be good drivers working towards NASCAR series....the one thing I wonder about NASCAR is could they look to shorten races or change up the structure a bit to make them more "exciting"? Not sure...

I would expect them to take a look at their structure and make some changes. Whether it's team reduction so there's not half a lap of cars on the track or reduce the laps from 500 to something interesting, I bet they'll pivot somewhere.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
I agree that F1 has increased in popularity, but I disagree that IndyCar will fade away or rather that it's popularity is at IndyCar's expense. There will always be something cool about those cars hitting 230+ MPH lap speeds in May.

IndyCar and F1 ratings have been increasing.
Legal Custodian
AG
I have never been a NASCAR fan in my life. And wasn't a racing fan at all until I watched Drive to Survive. I've watched damn near every F1 race and qualifying since. I always respected the F1 drivers more than NASCAR due to the skill on the turns and the road racing with blind spots. My idea of F1 and NASCAR was just that, F1 was road track racing, and NASCAR was oval racing.

I figured I would give NASCAR another chance (since I never thought I would like any type of racing). I turned it on this past Sunday and.......nope, still can't get into NASCAR. Just too long and boring.
jorgerr96
Same here. my first exposure to racing was F1. Nascar is just too long for me and they just turn to the same side so I just didn't care enough to keep following. i'd rather watch paint try. im sure the in person experience would be better but i also dont want to be in an oval track sitting down for like 4 hours
jorgerr96
As for the talent, I am sure there's a lot of talented US drivers, but I've seen F4 US races and half those kids would get murdered at a F4 Italian race, it's no surprise most just give up and join Indy Lights or whatever those feeders for Indy and Nascar are called. The 3 americans in F3 aren't THAT good, and one of them is in a Prema, he can't hang with Arthur Leclerc, and that guy is also mid. Logan Sargeant could get a seat if a good result comes in and he gets funding but I can think of like 10-15 EU from F2-F3 drivers that are better than him.
Gladiator 96
AG
I was never much into racing at all, let alone NASCAR. We came upon Formula 1 almost by coincidence. My son is a huge Mercedes Benz fan outside of F1, and he and my wife discovered Formula 1 in the 2nd half of 2018 by simply coming across the races on TV. We slowly got into it over the last half of 2018 and soon discovered DTS. We got hooked and become full-time fans by the start of the 2019 season. Race weekend is a definite event in our house now. We made our way to COTA for FP2 last year, and it was a huge hit with the family.
Fairview20
AG
I think NASCAR's biggest issue is their fabricated playoff at the end of the season basically makes a lot of the stakes of the other races for the first 80% of the year very low.

Harvick and Hamlin dominated almost every race in 2020 and neither won the championship because they couldn't put it together for the last 4 races of the season even though they both would have been way out in front in an F1 scoring system. Basically like if Hamilton and Max last year got beat out by Lando in the last race of the season and Lando became champion because he won the "Championship" race.

Almost every race of the F1 season has high stakes.
Bunk Moreland
As a huge fan of NASCAR I agree the playoff Era has been difficult. Understand the reasoning to build excitement but it's a catch 22.

While I understand the natural inclination to assume F1 drivers have superior skills, I don't exactly agree. Cup cars are almost 2x as heavy as f1 cars, there are road course races in nascar and a lot of nascar drivers come up racing on dirt and other styles. With things like DRS in f1 vs rubbing and bumping in nascar it's just too different.

You've seen some open wheel and f1 drivers cross over and the results weren't great.

Many NASCAR racers drive other types of cars in the off season. I don't know how often f1 drivers do that if at all. Kyle Larson is viewed as one of the top 2 or 3 drivers of any type of racing in the world so there is major talent sitting in Cup.

That said, I also love F1 and the differences the sport brings to a nascar style. Larson was asked at the COTA about F1 during a pre race on track interview I was in the crowd for and he mentioned some general interest. I'd LOVE to see him try it if he wins another title or 2 in NASCAR.

I also think there could be some incredible mutual benefit to F1 and NASCAR + indy doing 3 exhibition races a year in the off season with a handful of drivers from each racing the other disciplines.
Brad 98
AG
I would watch that! They could do a sort of 5 to 6 race season in the winter months, and they could do say one race in Nascar type cars, Indy and Formula 1. That would be fun to watch!!!
cap-n-jack
https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2022/Australia.html
Is this right? Midnight our time?
aggie4231
AG
Yep 1155 pm on Sat night
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
gggmann
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I also think there could be some incredible mutual benefit to F1 and NASCAR + indy doing 3 exhibition races a year in the off season with a handful of drivers from each racing the other disciplines.
That's what the Race of Champions is supposed to cover.
Vernada
AG
cap-n-jack said:

https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2022/Australia.html
Is this right? Midnight our time?

Yeah, I won't be watching anything live this weekend. .
Gladiator 96
AG
Goldie Wilson
Not sure what to do with broadcast times this weekend. We don't have cable/DVR. Does the ESPN app on ROKU typically have replays available on demand?
htxag09
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

Not sure what to do with broadcast times this weekend. We don't have cable/DVR. Does the ESPN app on ROKU typically have replays available on demand?
I would assume so, I know the ESPN app on our Apple TV has them on demand, or did last year.
La Fours
AG
How do you watch races now? My understanding is with the ESPN app, you must link a TV subscription account (i.e. your DirecTv, Dish, Suddenlink, YoutubeTV, etc) to watch the live broadcast. And I assume that would still apply for watching it on demand. But I could be wrong.

The other option would be to sign up for F1 TV Pro.
NewOldAg
AG
Gladiator 96 said:

Maybe now McLaren can actually start working on the real race car .
Vernada
AG
La Fours said:

How do you watch races now? My understanding is with the ESPN app, you must link a TV subscription account (i.e. your DirecTv, Dish, Suddenlink, YoutubeTV, etc) to watch the live broadcast. And I assume that would still apply for watching it on demand. But I could be wrong.

The other option would be to sign up for F1 TV Pro.

F1 TV here. Love it.
Gladiator 96
AG
ICYMI, FP1 on now on ESPNN Live
La Fours
AG
Has Pirelli ever skipped a compound before in the tires for a race weekend? This week is C5, C3, and C2.
SydB92
AG
The helmet cam for LeClerc showing the porpoising is nuts. Can't imagine doing that lap after lap.
TulaneAg
Seb the fireman...taking matters into his own hands. Funny
htxag09
AG
What's up with the 0.0 in all the over track billboards?
nai06
AG
Ads for Heineken nonalcoholic beer
tk for tu juan
htxag09 said:

What's up with the 0.0 in all the over track billboards?

https://campaignbrief.com/heineken-0-0-launches-new-formula-1-australian-grand-prix-campaign-via-saatchi-saatchi/
htxag09
AG
nai06 said:

Ads for Heineken nonalcoholic beer

Gotcha. Didn't notice the ones I saw have any Heineken branding but they were quick shots. Usually don't pay attention to the billboards. One was welcome back melb0.0rne. Made me think of the fat asses with 0.0 stickers on their trucks
Gladiator 96
AG
Ferrari practicing their drift skills a little too much
Gladiator 96
AG
Seb doing a practice lap on a motorcycle
lunchbox
La Fours said:

Has Pirelli ever skipped a compound before in the tires for a race weekend? This week is C5, C3, and C2.
Crofty said the last time they did it was Russia 2017.
kyledr04
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

It'll be on the espn app. I forgot to record or accidentally deleted my dvr recording of qualifying one of the first races and watched it on the espn app later.
Goldie Wilson
XpressAg09
AG
Here's my fun fact with 0.0

After the Nashville Half in November 2021, we all got a 0.0 for free…but we couldn't leave the beer garden with a 0.0 because "alcohol."

Explain that to me
Gladiator 96
AG
DRS zones have been cut from 4 to 3 for rest of event

Zone from T6 to T9 removed

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.