***** Formula 1 - 2022 Season *****

251,468 Views | 3136 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by NewOldAg
tailgatetimer10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hamilton has fell off. He took the off-season off after being devastated by the loss to max. I'm sure he'll be retired soon enough, or driving for AM
AgGrad99
AG
It is curious though, that Russell hasn't had near the struggle Hamilton seems to have had.
La Fours
AG
I think it was on the F1 Nation podcast that the Merc technical director mentioned that LH had been running different race setups from Russell. And at times they were more extreme than usual. Or maybe it was commentary by sky sports folks.

I'm probably not explaining it very well.
texags08
AG
La Fours said:

I think it was on the F1 Nation podcast that the Merc technical director mentioned that LH had been running different race setups from Russell. And at times they were more extreme than usual. Or maybe it was commentary by sky sports folks.

I'm probably not explaining it very well.

I heard about that as well. He is more willing to try the experimental setups since he isn't running at the front. Although I feel like it could be a little bit of an excuse because he knows Russell has more drive this season. Can't really blame Hamilton for not being as committed right now. I bet he's retired soon. Doubt he will drive for a lesser team like Alonso, Seb, and Kimi have done. I bet Valtteri would be killing him this year too if he would have still been with Merc.
AKA the Command Center guy... 0E stacks member…
AgGrad99
AG
That could explain some of it, but it's been this way from the jump. And if Russell is outperforming the more extreme versions...doesn't make sense to keep doing that with your best driver.

Just a weird year overall for them/him
An Ag in CO
AG
Eh, Lewis has outperformed Russell the last two races with Austria being the more telling race. Lewis started 8th and finished 3rd. Russell started 4th and finished 4th with Sainz ahead of him retiring. I think Merc have settled on what they are going to do after trying pretty much everything and Lewis was probably the only option to test different set ups since Russell really needs more of a plain vanilla set up.
texags08
AG
Agreed, great perspective on that situation. Hadn't thought of it that way before.

I try not to let my dislike of Lewis affect the way I see things, but it's tough sometimes.
AgGrad99
AG
He really only outperformed him in one race, right...because of Russell's DNF on the first turn?...and only by one place. Overall though, I think it's safe to say he's extremely frustrated this year. I don't blame him at all.
XpressAg09
AG
Taking a peek at the Constructor Standings going into France and Esteban Ocon (or Alpine as a whole) is on a tear lately. 42% of their points have come in the past three weeks alone. And with Lando doing all the carrying for McLaren, I'll call my shot and say that Alpine comes out as the leader of the middle teams.

Will be interesting to see how Esteban drives in his home course.
McGibblets
AG
Agreed. On top of that, I wouldn't be shocked if Haas somehow catches McLaren. They haven't rolled out any major upgrades yet, so who knows what will happen once they do. They've been driving very well recently
jorgerr96

I'm a 100% with Fernando on this one. I don't know if you guys are on F1 Twitter or interact with fans in that platform, but that place is without a doubt the stupidest fanbase I've ever encountered
Bunk Moreland
They can wipe their tears up with the increase in contract dollars they're getting.
La Fours
AG
What's the word on how Colton Huerta's test with McLaren went? They briefly mentioned it on this week's F1 Nation podcast. But they didn't say much other than they were told he did well.
planoaggie123
AG
jorgerr96 said:

I'm a 100% with Fernando on this one. I don't know if you guys are on F1 Twitter or interact with fans in that platform, but that place is without a doubt the stupidest fanbase I've ever encountered

LOL this.

These new "stupid" fans will line the pockets of driver and teams in the near terms and only likely continue to grow the fanbase via friends, kids, etc. Plus those fans will learn to appreciate the more nuanced aspects of the sport the more and more they watch....silly comment from him...
XpressAg09
AG
Definitely agree. I had zero idea how F1 worked pre-COVID and now understand it well enough to comment on it and watch each qualifying and race religiously.

He's just mad at the minority of dummies who have a bullhorn via the internet,l and aren't afraid to use it for attention…just like most forums that have ever existed since forever.

Nothing new, he'll get paid, and crowds will be bigger and bigger. Can't, or shouldn't, complain about that.
CharlieBrown17
AG
The F1 subreddit is wild. It's a mix of DTS fans and people that probably have hand written race charts from 2001 or some **** always fighting
Bunk Moreland
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/12656303/french-gp-lewis-hamilton-holds-milestone-victory-hope-as-mercedes-reveal-new-car-upgrade

Quote:

Mercedes have brought a re-designed nose to Paul Ricard, which appears to be flatter and could be focused at reducing drag, with the team known to be chasing a straight-line speed boost.

The full package will be revealed before Friday practice, and Mercedes may even have more upgrades up their sleeve.

La Fours
AG
Most of what I see on F1 Twitter is the same kind of stuff you see for every other sports Twitter. Max/Red Bull fanboys hating on Lewis. Lewis/Merc fanboys hating on Max. Then there is everyone else. I try to avoid going too deep into the comments of media I follow because it is the same stuff every time. And I don't know that it was really any different pre-Netflix because that's just how social media is, especially Twitter.
CharlieBrown17
AG
At least in the American fan base there was way less of that pre DTS because F1 wasn't something someone just stumbled across.

The only race that ever used to be on broadcast TV and shown in the afternoon here was Monaco on a replay
jorgerr96

Yeah Pre-DTS discussions were mostly over quick. I want to think if Multi-21 happened after DTS, those discussions would've lasted an entire season lol
AgGrad99
AG
What is the context for his comments? Was he lamenting the racist comments by some fans in Europe, or something else?

My initial response is a shoulder-shrug and 'so what?' type of reply.

Growth is good for the sport, it's good for the teams, and it's good for his bottom line. But like anything else, there will be some growing pains with the learning curve, for all the new fans. I think everyone wants to keep what's special with the sport, while it grows.

But I also struggle to see how he's affected personally? It seems like most of the drivers are pretty well insulated. Which...made me wonder about the context.
WC87
AG
Sounds kind of like a 2 time world champion needs a hug.
planoaggie123
AG
Step 1: Stay off twitter

Step 2: Drive car

Step 3: Collect $$$$

i just solved his issue....
Spaceball 1
AG
Alonso's mentality is what's wrong with F1. I'm a new fan, I don't care if Alpine passes McLaren for 4th in the Constructors. That's a loser mentality.

And, I think it's fair to say Williams is not F1 level.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Spaceball 1 said:

Alonso's mentality is what's wrong with F1. I'm a new fan, I don't care if Alpine passes McLaren for 4th in the Constructors. That's a loser mentality.

Williams probably isn't but they have been around forever and where good once so they ain't leaving, they are the Vandy of F1.
GarlandAg2012
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Spaceball 1 said:

Williams probably isn't but they have been around forever and where good once so they ain't leaving, they are the Vandy of F1.

It would be cool if the new owner restores them to some level of competitiveness but the "Williams" name is just a name. Not a family business anymore. And if they do succeed I imagine they will be sold again.
jorgerr96

Holy smokes Logan Sargeant gets another Formula 2 pole on his last flying lap!!! What an insane session. US media needs to get on this guy, he can grow F2 in the States. It's the only time we can hear the National Anthem on the F1 podium lol.

At this point, Logan has become the biggest threat to Oscar Piastri for that Williams seat.
racerfink
As far as Hamilton/Russell goes, I'll just say…
I've been racing for 31 years. My willingness to drive a car on the edge that isn't working great is a much lower priority the older I get. Russell is much younger, and therefore has the mentality that he's indestructible. Hamilton has had a few big shunts over the years, and if you go back and watch the Top Gear episode where he drives the slower car that the F1 drivers use, he's much more carefree then.

Many people could never comprehend what it feels like to drive a F1 car at the limit for 2 hours. Even if the car is perfect, it's extremely physical and mentally demanding. A car that isn't working well will mentally drain you, because you have to be 'on' every second, otherwise, you might find the wall.
texags08
AG
racerfink said:

As far as Hamilton/Russell goes, I'll just say…
I've been racing for 31 years. My willingness to drive a car on the edge that isn't working great is a much lower priority the older I get. Russell is much younger, and therefore has the mentality that he's indestructible. Hamilton has had a few big shunts over the years, and if you go back and watch the Top Gear episode where he drives the slower car that the F1 drivers use, he's much more carefree then.

Many people could never comprehend what it feels like to drive a F1 car at the limit for 2 hours. Even if the car is perfect, it's extremely physical and mentally demanding. A car that isn't working well will mentally drain you, because you have to be 'on' every second, otherwise, you might find the wall.

I also think having a car that you don't have to push to the ragged edge in the previous 6 years has a role to play in his mentality these days. I guess he got a little bit of edge back last year because he had to actually fight to be where he was.

And I don't say that to take away from his talents and accomplishments, they were difficult, but it's a different mentality when you aren't in a position of power.
jorgerr96
U2 might be having one of their upcoming Vegas residency dates during F1 weekend next year in Vegas.

"MSG plans to open the MSG Sphere at The Venetian in time to participate in the FIA Formula One World Championship when it comes to Nevada in November 2023."
Gladiator 96
AG
Staying in airBNB with no cable service so we are watching the live Watchalong videos.
texags08
AG
Gladiator 96 said:

Staying in airBNB with no cable service so we are watching the live Watchalong videos.

Espn or F1TV
Gladiator 96
AG
texags08 said:

Gladiator 96 said:

Espn or F1TV
F1 TV it is. We are in the middle of moving and don't currently have a provider subscription.
Bunk Moreland
Oh my Leclerc wreck!
Spaceball 1
AG
Horrible, verstsppen v LeClerc was super entertaining today. No idea how he kept Verstsppen at bay those first 10 laps

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.