Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Vertical dynamic deflection of south 2nd deck.

189,549 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by The Collective
wood2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My brother and I were in 245 for the Mizzou game. It was moving so much that we both stopped jumping and pointed out the movement of the rail in relation to the field behind it. I understand human perception probably over-exaggerates, and i would say the 6-12" is an over-exaggeration, but I would bet a lot of money that it moved no less than 4". 5-6" is probably closer to accurate. I've never seen anything like that before, and it was definitely unsettling. We were about 6-7 rows up, and the ground under us felt like it was moving a good 2-3".
MagnumLoad
Agnerd and HoustonAg doin work. Good job. Looks pretty flexible, even the back supports.

It may be an illusion, but the spans between the overhung steel trusses (span of the precast concrete deck) look to be greater moving toward the center of the deck. May be more load tributary to those center cantilever trusses.
512Ag
AG
This is how I'm imagining the people designing the SEZ:

quote:
The kneebone's connected to the... something. The something's connected to the... red thing. The red thing's connected to my wrist watch... Uh oh.
D. Turner
AG
Probably a nuisance rather than a structural concern, though back in the 1980's I engineered out the nuisance factor when I designed buildings on A&M's and Abilene Christian's campuses and commercial buildings elsewhere. This phenomenon has been recognized and addressed by engineers for decades. I am surprised it was not addressed in the original design. I have noticed this phenomenon occurring in several structures built in the early 1970s or before (department store, music venue balcony). Not sure whether designing for this situation started after those buildings were constructed or before.

My recollection is that the engineer ensures the structure is stiff enough to meet a deflection limit in addition to a strength. By limiting deflection, you engineer out the problem. That is what I recall.
The Collective
AG
I am just disappointed that it took Sandstorm to get this issue some attention.
JonSnow
Alright this is scaring the S out of me. Time to up my donation and get better seats. Wait, maybe that is the administration's plan all along?
AgNFla
AG
I believe a COP is in order to fix this issue.....

Change of Plan -- PM terminology for those needing an explanation.... PM= Project Management
Ag2012
AG
Engineer here, in my professional opinion you should all sell your second deck tickets. I will then scoop some up on the cheap and perform a season-long analysis of deflection patterns in the structure and report back my findings.
eniels
AG
And boom goes the dynamite
Kuz89
AG
Engineering Jibber-Jabber....

Now I know what it feels like when I get involved in Nerd speak around non-IT folks.

Do The Needful!
gigemrangers
AG
I awaiting NCEES test scores released in the next few days to hopefully weigh in as an engineer too. And you don't want to know what engineer me would say.
JonSnow
Greatest trolling in the history of this site.
Philip J Fry
AG
Has the OP received an official response yet?
The Collective
AG
So, next year we play Sandstorm before opening kick, so that we can get some accurate readings on this right?
jpd301
AG
quote:
Has the OP received an official response yet?
I am not the OP, but I did receive a response to the email I mentioned sending on page 6 of this thread. I hesitate to call it an official response but more an acknowledgement of receipt my message. It is actually more of a response than I expected to get though.
cannonfodder02
AG
10/10 WRA

On a side note has anyone checked the specs on the endline for the...rotary...girder...
Credible Source
AG
quote:
10/10 WRA

On a side note has anyone checked the specs on the endline for the...rotary...girder...

I'm retarded.
Cappy407
AG
quote:

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time.
Credible Source
AG
I think you're gonna be alright, it's got a thin candy shell. Surprised you didn't know that.
TxAg76
AG
220v power?
Yeah, sure.....220, or 221.....whatever it takes
MagnumLoad
Not yet. Too soon. Ltr & emails sent.
Counterpoint
AG
Any other responses yet?

And will connecting the SEZ to the new west side solve this problem? Is that why they are slow-playing any reply to us?

I know why everyone else is joking about it, but for the people that have to sit there, it's a serious topic!
MagnumLoad
Sent a detailed letter on 12/5 to 12th Man president, Sam Torn, Sharp, and the interim president. Received a thank you from Skip Walker, and that the first word from the engineers is that movement is within generally accepted limits but they (A&M) were waiting on a written report. They are aware of the concerns. No other response yet. Still relatively early particularly given the time of year, and also there is plenty of time now. I don't believe that the south end actually connects to the west side in the final config. Not sure about that though. I feel confident that in the final analysis any problem that may exist will be fixed. It could just be a comfort thing and not strength. A detailed forced response analysis is needed to confirm that IMO, using a substantial portion of fans jumping in synch to the music in question as the forcing function. The analysis could be empirical also.
Counterpoint
AG
Thanks Magnum.
RDV-1992
ag92tx
quote:
Sent a detailed letter on 12/5 to 12th Man president, Sam Torn, Sharp, and the interim president. Received a thank you from Skip Walker, and that the first word from the engineers is that movement is within generally accepted limits but they (A&M) were waiting on a written report. They are aware of the concerns. No other response yet. Still relatively early particularly given the time of year, and also there is plenty of time now. I don't believe that the south end actually connects to the west side in the final config. Not sure about that though. I feel confident that in the final analysis any problem that may exist will be fixed. It could just be a comfort thing and not strength. A detailed forced response analysis is needed to confirm that IMO, using a substantial portion of fans jumping in synch to the music in question as the forcing function. The analysis could be empirical also.

LOL
AgEngineer72
AG
Until you send a clearly worded specific concern to the EOR you may never get much of a response. The individuals you communicated with will only pass your concerns on to legal or to advisors and will likely never respond to you with any certainties. Sending a professionally worded concern, with some specifics to the EOR may get some response particulary if you send it certified mail. But you should remember that any response will be discoverable and as such may be very general- kinda like what you already received.
ckwarren33
Looks like Kyle's got some strut'n'swag!
Picard
AG
You guys haven't gotten this fixed yet??? Sheesh!

Swagmanag
So will the 'engineer this out' or not? I sit on the 50 so am relatively secure except for new army getting the yells wrong.
KaneIsAble
rhart
AG
Since sand bags can't jump, can we get some volunteers for our empirical analysis!
MagnumLoad
Ways to do an empirical without stands full of jumpers. The responsible parties at A&M will follow up in detail with the EOR. Failure to do so opens them and the university up to serious liability. They/we are paying the bill.

LOL is a cop out.
MagnumLoad
BTW, given that they are waiting on a written report from the EOR, they have already put the EOR on notice. I am confident this will be fixed if need be. I am renewing. Wise asses need not reply.
oysterbayAG
AG
Even if " movement is within generally accepted limits " , the structure should be beefed up ! Do we want to take any chances whatsoever ? Do we want to continuously scare the fans ? An independent Engineer should be hired to check the Design and issue a written report. Also, it is possible that there is a fault in the construction which should be physically checked. We must make this issue go away for good , whatever the cost !

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.