Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Vertical dynamic deflection of south 2nd deck.

189,575 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by The Collective
jpd301
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I has video evidence of deflection.

How do you post videos to facebook?
When you are logged into facebook, next to update status at the top of your timeline should be an add photos/videos options. Then just follow the upload prompts to upload the video from your computer. You will then need to share it publicly etc if you want the world to see and not just your facebook friends.

I would suggest uploading to youtube instead but that's just me. For that you'll need a youtube account though before you can upload.

You could also put it on dropbox and share it out that way amongst many options.
Ridge14
quote:
I started a thread on this in premium overnight and was hoping someone had better video than me. It looked to me that the deck was moving 6-12" but there's no consensus in premium other than folks think I am exaggerating.

I tried to get video but didn't get a great shot, and it was after folks stopped jumping as much and the deck started damping. I apologize for the crude vertical 5 second video in advance. I know it can be a rough crowd around here... Watch the railing at the front of the second deck.

Wonder if anyone has better video they can post.

Sketchy
jpd301
AG
quote:
You're a smart fellow, but you need to learn how to film with iPhone. Turn it sideways so you film in landscape, otherwise it looks pitiful on youtube.
I'll just paste my reply from the construction photo thread...

Yeah yeah yeah... its funny though, I knew I would get grief for the vertical video which is why it stops after 5 seconds. By the time I flipped horizontal and started recording again the deflection had damped out visually at least in the video so I didn't even post the horizontal. I'm just happy I caught something on camera. It was a lot more pronounced before I recorded anything.
Jawbreaker
I see it. This is important. We do not need to risk anything happening. OP, please send that video and a letter to not only the construction company, but to the president of the university. There is something that can be done about this, and being overly concerned about this matter is prudent.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
quote:
I started a thread on this in premium overnight and was hoping someone had better video than me. It looked to me that the deck was moving 6-12" but there's no consensus in premium other than folks think I am exaggerating.

I tried to get video but didn't get a great shot, and it was after folks stopped jumping as much and the deck started damping. I apologize for the crude vertical 5 second video in advance. I know it can be a rough crowd around here... Watch the railing at the front of the second deck.

Wonder if anyone has better video they can post.

Sketchy

I'm not really seeing it. Can't tell how much of whatever movement I'm seeing is just you.
94chem
1) After Bonfire, I would think that Texas A&M would take all engineering concerns seriously.

2) This could be a recruiting tool for Kyler Murray. He may only like to play in condemned stadiums.
Credible Source
AG

Then OP was all "blah blah blah, I'm a fake scientist" and everyone else was all "shut up idiot" and then he got his ass kicked.
jpd301
AG
quote:
I'm not really seeing it. Can't tell how much of whatever movement I'm seeing is just you.
Fair enough. Focus on the front wall of the 2nd deck and watch the edge in relation to the field etc below. the deck is pulsing in step with the music.

My video isn't great which is why my primary point through all of this has been "does someone have better video?"
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
So has anybody done the review yet?
Iowaggie
AG
Hmmmm......
lead
Who are the cornballs jumping up and down? It looks very awkward.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
quote:
Fair enough. Focus on the front wall of the 2nd deck and watch the edge in relation to the field etc below. the deck is pulsing in step with the music.

My video isn't great which is why my primary point through all of this has been "does someone have better video?"

Are there more people jumping under the deck that we can't see? I was expecting to see the whole section jump up and down, but I'm only seeing a handful.
lead
quote:
I has video evidence of deflection.

How do you post videos to facebook?
Email to one of the giffers so that it can be posted to texags for maximum exposure to expert analysis.
Space91
AG
I know structures can flex quite a bit. I have never worried about it collapsing, but I always had a fear of a chunk of concrete falling on my head though.

Look at the video of Wisconsin's stadium.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/11/four_college_football_stadiums.html
DNC
Effective immediately: New Army is assigned 2nd deck, South end Zone!
gman103
AG
Seriously though, I can't even comprehend how catastrophic it would be if something were to happen. This concern needs to be addressed.
jpd301
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are there more people jumping under the deck that we can't see? I was expecting to see the whole section jump up and down, but I'm only seeing a handful.
I am on the aisle between 346 and 345 in that video. Most of the folks straight ahead in the second deck are sitting. Further left, so deeper into section 244 is where the bounce/deflection was the greatest and is where the largest number of fans were standing/dancing/jumping/bouncing whatever to the beat of the music. The deflection did not seem as sever looking to the right towards the east into section 243.

Also, by the time I got my phone out etc, the deflection was already starting to decrease. The song was still playing but I speculate that a bunch of people quit bouncing because it got uncomfortable how much it was moving. My sister compared it to a diving board.
Philip J Fry
AG
Gotcha. Off the top of my head, that sounds more like a second order mode than a first order.
jml2621
quote:
Doesn't matter how much movement there was, that officiating crew was not going to call offsides.

That's a horizontal deflection.
VA_Ag94
AG
There's really a simple solution to this problem... DO NOT PLAY SANDSTORM AT KYLE FIELD!!!
Mr. Lahey
AG
Looks like im late to the nerd fight. But seriously this should be looked at, thanks for posting OP
DanHo2010
AG
I was in 243 and felt/noticed nothing.
jsgracey
AG
I was in 244 row 10 for LSU and it was very noticeable and very scary for a brief few seconds. Everyone around me noticed fairly soon and we all looked and each other, said WTF was that?, and laughed it off with a few jokes made. I agree it needs to be looked at.
C2 Ag 93
Not to piss on the OP, but I was on second deck and felt nothing.
C2 Ag 93
quote:
There's really a simple solution to this problem... DO NOT PLAY SANDSTORM AT KYLE FIELD!!!
+93
jsgracey
AG
I will add to my post above. I think it's fairly isolated to section 244, which is a long section, and worse in the dead middle of the section. Had friends in 243 who noticed nothing also
Burnsey
AG
quote:
began bouncing in unison to music

That was just me and an LSU girlie in the bathroom. Sorry about that.
Cancer Boy
SECAg13
AG
Section 243 row 5. There has definitely been noticeable deflection while Power is being played during the team entrance.
MaxQ86
AG
I've known some of you are ****** bags, but now I know you're dumbasses too.

Thanks op for posting! And that vid is pretty interesting. I'm in 244, low. It's been moving all year. 1st noticed it during intro at Lamar game. LSU and Mizzou were the largest I've noticed.

I'd also like to know inspection frequency and method. Especially since I'm hearing other sections aren't detecting movement. The things that bite most often are things you don't plan for, like materials defects.
SlimM
AG
I'm glad people are finally talking about this, because it's been happening ALL SEASON! Yes, Sandstorm and that other song made it much worse, but it has happened during every game. We're in section 242.

I wrote the 12th Man Foundation and the athletic department earlier in the year, but I still haven't gotten a response. Hopefully they can't ignore the OP because he sounds a lot more knowledgeable than my letter did.

PLEASE let me know if they respond to you...especially if you're being serious and not just trolling us all!

SlimM
Bullmoose
AG
I realize the seriousness of this thread but Cancer Boy you almost made me lose my coffee out my nose.
Credible Source
AG
quote:
quote:
began bouncing in unison to music

That was just me and an LSU girlie in the bathroom. Sorry about that.

I hate to tell you this but, you now have several diseases.
Swagmanag
quote:
I see it. This is important. We do not need to risk anything happening. OP, please send that video and a letter to not only the construction company, but to the president of the university. There is something that can be done about this, and being overly concerned about this matter is prudent.

Please do this. No need to take risks due to arrogance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.