Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Vertical dynamic deflection of south 2nd deck.

189,560 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by The Collective
BQ78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
There is definitely an issue. It has been tested, and in advance of results I predict that remediation will take place. Simple placement of
structural support to mitigate what's going on will happen. And it
will be done prior to the 1st game. Includes columns.

So our contractors have a time machine to go back and fix this before the Lamar game 2014?!

We should have complete confidence if they have that sort of capability. Maybe they have the Minority Report people in a little hot tub too!
fireinthehole
This is not a hotel or a bridge, but a cantilevered seating area in a stadium. Also, simply applying an impact factor to static gravity load does not equal or assure adequacy for dynamic loading.
AgBeliever
AG
quote:
It's important actually.
AnalogyAg
http://skywalk.kansascity.com/articles/20-years-later-fatal-disaster-remains-impossible-forget/not a laughing matter
EnderWiggin
quote:
This is not a hotel or a bridge, but a cantilevered...

Because bridges aren't cantilevered and don't undergo dynamic loading....
ColoAg95
AG
quote:
It was a field change as it was a change in design driven by practical application. It was not analyzed as it should have been due to time constraints (trying to open before a certain event)
Flaw in the RFI process and an impractical design to start with. Change was reviewed by a junior BS engineer without a brain. Every construction job is in a hurry to get completed, but I'm glad you paid attention to the case study in your ethics class.

If Kyle Field EOR says a fix is required to limit deflection, then their fix will work. They will have given their full attention to the matter. Having vibration/deflection issues is more common than you think. Sometimes is fixed, sometimes is not. It happens. I have seen some terrible vibration issues that 99.5% of the people I watched never even noticed it.

Just because it bounces doesn't mean it's going to fail. If EOR says the bounce is okay, then we should just enjoy the ride. Seriously. It will enhance your stadium experience.
oysterbayAG
AG
The EOR is just a service ! TAMU is the Owner, the controlling entity in this renovation. The Fans are seriously complaining about the scary movement. The only remaining question is : " WHEN WILL IT BE FIXED "
TexasRebel
AG
Maybe you should know the difference between "fix" and "repair".

The SEZ seating is a bridge. Designed to hold people over people.
ColoAg95
AG
As a structural engineer having previously worked on major stadium design, I am okay with a close look and some load testing. If the deflection is within acceptable limits, then i am good with it. if the recorded movement does not match calculated movement, it will be addressed. Walter P Moore is literally the world's best stadium engineering company. Best of the best. If they made a mistake, we will know.

Just put up a sign that the spectators should expect a bouncy ride, and it will be fun. if it bothers you, request a move.
oysterbayAG
AG
One of the greatest and wealthiest Universities in the world , has to put up a warning sign , in a new 1/2 Billion Dollar Stadium Renovation ? Your Kidding !!!
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
Just put up a sign that the spectators should expect a bouncy ride, and it will be fun. if it bothers you, request a move
I'm fine with this. As long as I know it is safe, it IS fun. I would enjoy it, because it was a wild experience (especially during Sandstorm). But not knowing if it is safe or not definitely changes one's perspective on the bouncing.
agnerd
AG
quote:
Your Kidding !!!

Aint my kidding.
aggieaviator
AG
I know one person who will be jumping a little less during the game. Old Army Style
Post removed:
by user
Expert Analysis
AG
quote:
Maybe you should know the difference between "fix" and "repair".

The SEZ seating is a bridge. Designed to hold people over people.

There really ist a difference between fix and repair, and he may have literally been meaning to fix it. The sez is not a bridge any way you want to try and make it.
It doesn't even matter if it is safe or not right now. There are adequate complaints now from people who may not even be regular seat holders in the area. The number of complaints will be even more next year when people pay more and realize they will have to put up with that forever. Thus something will need to be done to lessen the impact from at least comfort standpoint. The excuse that changes were implemented to increase comfort will be used to not directly point out any structual defiencies in the initial design if there were any.
TexasRebel
AG
You know... TMF doesn't really care who buys the tickets. If you're not comfortable in that seat, someone else will be.

I don't know about you, but I'd never trust my life (or hundreds all at once) to a "fix".
oysterbayAG
AG
As a supplement to Expert Analysis : In the overall picture , the main reason for the renovation of Kyle Field is the happiness of the Fans. Good Lord ! , The Home of The 12th Man , after spending half a Billion Dollars , will allow itself to be dogged endlessly with complaints about this structural abnormality in the SEZ ; frightening the hell out of the Fans and their children ? If the Public Relations people at A&M have no problem with this , they should be relieved of duty .
RagonkForce
Would someone please quote the 3 or 4 important, intelligent posts on this thread so I don't have to read this?
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
As long as I know it is safe, it IS fun. I would enjoy it, because it was a wild experience (especially during Sandstorm). But not knowing if it is safe or not definitely changes one's perspective on the bouncing.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
haven't read this thread in a while....interesting that i never equated the KC Hyatt disaster....

I was on those bridges mere weeks before they collapsed....must say that was a bit unnerving. I lived in KC from 77 through 82....had been at a dinner in the Hyatt at the Peppercorn Duck restaurant. My sister and I walked over each of those bridges before and after the meal just because they were cool.

An I'm a SEZ 2nd deck season ticket holder with my sister. FWIW. The movement did not bother me I thought it was kinda cool.

hmmmmmm......
howdy2u
AG
quote:
Would someone please quote the 3 or 4 important, intelligent posts on this thread so I don't have to read this?

tldr; the SEZ is noticably bouncy. The appropriate people are looking into it. Nobody knows yet what they'll learn , and what (if any) action they'll take.
ag92tx
Why is this thread still here?
fireinthehole
Because it's important to a lot of Aggies. Howdy2u nailed it.
A Person
AG
This thread lives...............like I hope to do next time I visit Kyle Field
SpiderM85
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
As a supplement to Expert Analysis : In the overall picture , the main reason for the renovation of Kyle Field is the happiness of the Fans. Good Lord ! , The Home of The 12th Man , after spending half a Billion Dollars , will allow itself to be dogged endlessly with complaints about this structural abnormality in the SEZ ; frightening the hell out of the Fans and their children ? If the Public Relations people at A&M have no problem with this , they should be relieved of duty .

Simple solution is to stop playing sandstorm. It really is that easy.
AggieEE
AG
quote:
Great, just great. Now our stadium sucks to.
Don't be mad just because you don't know the difference between too, to, and two.
D. Turner
AG
Edit.
mpaggie06
AG
Have we received any official answers on this issue yet? All of my tickets are in the SEZ, and even though I wasn't bothered at all last year, this internet thread is enough to make me fully believe that there is definitely a problem. I will be asking for club level West side seats next year if this is not fixed; otherwise I'll be DEMANDING a full refund of season ticket payments for this upcoming year and last, as well as the capital campaign. Further still, I will let the TMF know that they can expect a new lawsuit for displaced season ticket holders who were forced out of perfectly safe seats (they've literally been there for decades) into a death trap waiting to happen. If anyone feels similarly, let me know and we can go class-action.
XL2Win
Hopefully we had a design engineer from tu.
Can you imagine the eternal nightmare of a failure?

Not a structural engineer, but wouldn't harmonics come into play here as well as pure force loads?
zephyr88
AG
I thnk I'll just site in the horseshoe...
SECTAMU#1
quote:
As a structural engineer having previously worked on major stadium design, I am okay with a close look and some load testing. If the deflection is within acceptable limits, then i am good with it. if the recorded movement does not match calculated movement, it will be addressed. Walter P Moore is literally the world's best stadium engineering company. Best of the best. If they made a mistake, we will know.

Just put up a sign that the spectators should expect a bouncy ride, and it will be fun. if it bothers you, request a move.
So, if it the movement is within the tolerable limit, I don't think putting up a sign will not help with a fan's perception.
TexasRebel
AG
Shouldn't you be watching the game and not a building?
TxAg76
AG
Imagine your son/daughter watching game over there.
Now imagine a failure and the ripple effects.
Bonfire tragedy would become minor in comparison.

Let's not F around w this one, let's get it right.
Hell, let's spend the money to get it BETTER than right.
Fitch
AG
There's zero reason to suspect it's not adequate right now.

Surely no one thinks it will not be addressed if it's found to be necessary, right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.