Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Vertical dynamic deflection of south 2nd deck.

189,377 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by The Collective
Fitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They responded to public sentiment and addressed it, everyone should be happy with that.
AGC
AG
quote:
quote:
He said something along the lines of it was the frequency of sandstorm? Hmmm
It was the gayness of sand storm. There was a great trembling in new army's loins that day.

Is that what they meant by "stiffen things up"?
AggieSVT
AG
And there we go, reinforcements for the stands:

HC article about the stands
winorgetadog
AG
I see the picture but what did it look like before?
Aggie95
AG

BrayK15
AG
even better article. Total frat move.

http://totalfratmove.com/ams-kyle-field-needed-reinforcements-from-shaking-too-much-during-sandstorm/

quote:
I'm a lifelong Texas fan, so I've never truly experienced a hyped home stadium
aprihoda
AG
Understanding from the BZ article that the inclusion of this support steel will not "increase" the cost of the renovations, does the resolution of this "comfort issue" mean the project will still miss out on some possible extras? It has been my understanding from the discussions on these boards that if there were extra funds available in the budget, they might be used for things like facade for the South EZ exterior, paving of Houston Street, or the revitalization of Spence Park. I would imagine these will definitely remain on the shelf now.
rcb05
AG
quote:
Understanding from the BZ article that the inclusion of this support steel will not "increase" the cost of the renovations, does the resolution of this "comfort issue" mean the project will still miss out on some possible extras? It has been my understanding from the discussions on these boards that if there were extra funds available in the budget, they might be used for things like facade for the South EZ exterior, paving of Houston Street, or the revitalization of Spence Park. I would imagine these will definitely remain on the shelf now.
Sounds like they were able to do this without increasing the amount of steel already built into the budget. I doubt the cost of this was so substantial that it would definitively eliminate one of those other projects.
txyaloo
AG
From the Chronicle.

quote:
Now, thanks to eight expansion joints (two in each corner) and modern know-how, stadium swaying is expected to be at a minimum starting in 2015. Ray said A&M will be able to play whatever songs it wants, and fans can keep swaying however they want.

"We're good," he said of "Sandstorm" staying on the Kyle Field playlist. "There are no restrictions on this building."
Does this mean Sandstorm would have gone away had these reinforcements not been added?
BrayK15
AG
I was hoping Sandstorm would go away. The home team always loses when Sandstorm is played. @ South Carolina, @ Auburn, LSU @ home.
jeepdriver54
AG
If you were under the impression that discussions on this board drive administration decisions, you are delusional.
Phil Garner
quote:
I was hoping Sandstorm would go away. The home team always loses when Sandstorm is played. @ South Carolina, @ Auburn, LSU @ home.

Yep, the music determines outcome. you would've thought that someone would have found the perfect music combination by now. Theres gotta be an algorithm for that.
aprihoda
AG
quote:
quote:
Sounds like they were able to do this without increasing the amount of steel already built into the budget. I doubt the cost of this was so substantial that it would definitively eliminate one of those other projects.
Right, but where there could perhaps have been cost savings by either returning or reselling that excess steel, those savings are now gone. I'm not a construction or manufacturing expert, but I can't imagine the university would have eaten the cost for unnecessary steel. My comment above was based on a presumption that those savings might have been available to fund those other aesthetic, rather than necessary, projects. Of course, who really knows whether any savings generated would have been sufficient to finance any of those projects anyway.
aprihoda
AG
Ha, fair point. And, I personally wouldn't give a lot of credence to unofficial construction discussion on a sports-centric forum. However, to play devil's advocate, from the article cited above:

quote:
While Ray said he only heard from a couple of concerned fans via email, a post on the fan website TexAgs addressing concerns currently has more than 120,000 clicks - views A&M took into account. The result? Reinforcement, with the final bracing added Monday. Only some welding remains.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Unions involved?

Maybe a difference of possibly paying for parts and labor to not install; rather now paying to actually install?
Picadillo
I believe it is a firm fixed price contract.
Ags06Win
AG
Thank goodness they are fixing it! Way to go TexAgs!

It was NOT safe last year!
Clucky
quote:
Ha, fair point. And, I personally wouldn't give a lot of credence to unofficial construction discussion on a sports-centric forum. However, to play devil's advocate, from the article cited above:

quote:
While Ray said he only heard from a couple of concerned fans via email, a post on the fan website TexAgs addressing concerns currently has more than 120,000 clicks - views A&M took into account. The result? Reinforcement, with the final bracing added Monday. Only some welding remains.

So, that means the administration and the powers-that-be have most likely seen my art? E'erybody has murals, I think I want to be commissioned to paint the ceiling of the Joe Routt Blvd. underpass.
ILuvAgLand
Is anyone else concerned that it required someone from a fan website to point out this problem. Makes you wonder what else needs looking at
The Collective
AG
quote:
Is anyone else concerned that it required someone from a fan website to point out this problem. Makes you wonder what else needs looking at

That a non-structural problem was fixed to appease people's sensibilities that may have never been an issue again?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.