Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Vertical dynamic deflection of south 2nd deck.

189,565 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by The Collective
Meximan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The real issue here is why grown assed people were jumping up and down like excited little school girls.
TyHolden
AG
Because every school has been doing it for 20-30 years. This is nothing new. If it's an issue don't play the song. If it isn't, crank up whatever the recruits like.
Officer Slater
JJxvi
AG
Against LSU the deck bounced even when we were on defense without music after the Speedy touchdown.
Jawbreaker
ttt for updates on what has been done so far. Timing in this is good if some supports need to be added. We used to sit in 144 and have seen the 2nd deck students side jolt vertically. But if someone is able to gif the video with a horizontal bar across the image mapping at the railing close to the field, overlay that on top of the gif you will be able to see that thing bounce. We are being moved to the south east side top deck next season and now I am wondering if was a grand idea to do this construction as fast as they did. Also, the welder t shirt fan from Alabama's facebook posts are becoming more suspect than ever.
Ridge14
quote:
The real issue here is why grown assed people were jumping up and down like excited little school girls.
-_-

You old army or something? Hate passion?
Officer Slater
I never intended to sit in the SEZ anyway. Hope to see this addressed though.
TyHolden
AG
Are we earthquake proof? We about to frack campus.
bigfoot10s
AG
I was on the 6th row in that overhang area. The movement of the stands was a little odd the first time we felt it
OkinTexas
It would be horrific if that thing ever collapsed. I hope that the OP gets in touch with the right people.
Goose83
AG
quote:
quote:
-_-

You old army or something? Hate passion?

Yes - Now get off my lawn.
tmelton3
Another structural/civil engineer here. Texas PE. Austin based. If the welded steel clips holding the precast seats/floors down are widely spaced, and there is no underlying concrete diaphragm or floor level bracing, then there could be a big problem. Also, the main steel support columns at the end of the stadium overhanging the adjoining building appear to have a lateral bracing problem, potentially unstable under both vertical and horizontal loading. When I was directed to a photo of your new stadium about a month ago, I voiced that opinion to others. and told them that I would not be attending any games if I had to sit up there Looks to me like it was designed by someone using a computer with little knowledge of the basics but I am an older engineer was was taught the basics. Don't want to scare, but you all need to get the TX A&M administration on the problem. Don't try to politic it to keep it in house. This is no time for special deals. It can be fixed, but don't wait. I investigated the Aggie bonfire collapse years ago from afar and was not impressed with how all of that came out. All I can say is tell the admin. to get some skilled outsside engineers in there immediately and there could be a possible lawsuit soon..
T. June Melton, PE
Ridge14
Thanks for your input Melton

Someone better seriously look at this
GarryowenAg
AG
FML
fulshearAg96
AG
This farking blows.
GarryowenAg
AG
The rib is questioning if we should drop our season tickets
Fitch
AG
quote:

Short answer, no. You're gonna be just fine if you're in the south.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:

I'd bet that if enough people called into the TMF with this line of reasoning, a 3rd party inspection would happen.
Philip J Fry
AG
Typical female/zoo reaction. Maybe see what the admin/engineering firms say before you ditch your tickets. It could be a fairly simple fix of adding stiffeners if there is indeed a problem.
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
Typical female/zoo reaction. Maybe see what the admin/engineering firms say before you ditch your tickets. It could be a fairly simple fix of adding stiffeners if there is indeed a problem.
you're assuming this will be addressed by the A&M admin
reb,
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Seems that this entire thread is just speculation that the design will fail bc it currently flexes under dynamic live loads...

Does anyone have any actual knowledge of the analysis that was performed?

If the steel is flexing, but not yielding, what is the failure mode of concern? Fatigue?

It'd be nice to hear from someone who actually worked on the project...
Officer Slater
V
Philip J Fry
AG
First, I find it offensive to compare our stadium to bonfire...,yeah, I saw the post before you edited it.

Second, these PEs don't actually know anything about what was analyzed, what the assumptions were, and what kind of loading conditions were assumed.

Third, if there is a problem, it can be fixed without having to knock down the whole stadium.
Officer Slater
quote:
First, I find it offensive to compare our stadium to bonfire...,yeah, I saw the post before you edited it.

Second, these PEs don't actually know anything about what was analyzed, what the assumptions were, and what kind of loading conditions were assumed.

Third, if there is a problem, it can be fixed without having to knock down the whole stadium.

I obviously didn't mean for it to be offensive but after a reread I saw it may be and thus took it down. My bad. I haven't seen anyone suggest we tear the thing down but the engineers that have been posting seem to have concern and that is enough for me to have concern.
Philip J Fry
AG
Structural dynamics engineer here. If say it's too early to start freaking out over. Feel better?
Officer Slater
quote:
Structural dynamics engineer here. If say it's too early to start freaking out over. Feel better?

When would be a good time? I said earlier I never intended to sit in there anyway because it looks a little steep for me. I'd feel better if I knew this was being reviewed by people.
Ridge14
quote:
quote:

I haven't seen anyone suggest we tear the thing down but the engineers that have been posting seem to have concern and that is enough for me.
Yeah I tend to agree.

Multiple PEs (one with 35 years of experience voicing some sort of concern) means IMO that the admin should have the project engineers reaffirm the design or something similar.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
quote:

When would be a good time? I said earlier I never intended to sit in there anyway because it looks a little steep for me. I'd feel better if I knew this was being reviewed by people.

I was referring jumping to the conclusion that folks need to start dropping their season tickets. No harm in asking the powers that be to look into it.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Totally late to the conversation here but I felt the exact same thing when I was sitting under the gigatron for the Ole Miss game. When the team came out of the tunnel everyone started bouncing to "Power" and I could feel myself drop several inches. Being that high up I was prepared for some movement but it exceeded my expectations and scared the **** out of me
Fitch
AG
^
To that point, there's no harm in issuing a brief statement for SEZ ticket holders that there's some bounce in the steel and its fine, or else reviewing it now that the construction is gearing up again.

There was a message in the old pressbox media packets about the "sway" during the war hymn. Might as well nip this in the bud early on.
Philip J Fry
AG
Personally, that more than anything else could drive some response/design changes. It may be perfectly safe from an engineering standpoint, but I wouldn't want folks to be terrified from unnecessary deflections if it could be helped.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Here's a vid that I took; just now got around to uploading it. This was after the song had ended, and most people had stopped jumping.

Watch the rail to the left of the guy in the black fleece/white cap. Also, watch the top of his head, as he is standing still for the most part.

This was taken in section 245, row 9.

Michael Cera Palin
AG
quote:
^
To that point, there's no harm in issuing a brief statement for SEZ ticket holders that there's some bounce in the steel and its fine, or else reviewing it now that the construction is gearing up again.

There was a message in the old pressbox media packets about the "sway" during the war hymn. Might as well nip this in the bud early on.
Completely agree. Commentators always complain how scary it is up in the pressbox but at least they're expecting it. As long as the structural integrity of the South endzone is ok there's no need to do anything drastic just simply let people know they're gonna move
WestTexAg12
AG
How much vertical deflection would 10,000 of these cause?

About 6" vertically or so?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.