Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Vertical dynamic deflection of south 2nd deck.

189,576 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by The Collective
Satellite of Love
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are you sure the bar was "moving?" Or were you jumping up and down too but became alarm at the movement??
MagnumLoad
6" vertical movement would not surprise me. I don't think it was a foot, but there should be some stadium video that could be analyzed.
zephyr88
AG
Tarp for no fans is a shame, but a tarp for Vertical dynamic deflection is a real black eye.
squirrelhunter
Seriously, maybe we should stop ripping off two bit C-USA commuter schools and South Carolina and ban Sandstorm and Zombie Nation from ever being played at Kyle again.

Oh and fire the clown of a coach who peads the team in their silly jumping jack antics too.

We are A&M, not UH ot UCF.
D10878
AG
I was in sec 245 row 9 and it was very noticeable. Needs to be looked at!
epag
AG
Sec 348 (third deck, south end) was also bouncing.
92Ag95
AG
1. Steel is flexible.

2. LSU game probably used up several hundred of the several hundred thousand cycles of the available fatigue life of the structure.

hth
Billy Liuccis Facial Hair
AG
It was so bouncy in 347
GarryowenAg
AG
Eff. My season tickets starting next year are in the sez. I'm gonna die, aren't it...?
THEamc
AG
I has video evidence of deflection.

How do you post videos to facebook?
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
I was in sec 245 row 9 and it was very noticeable. Needs to be looked at!

As was I, it was a substantial amount of movement. By the time I got my phone out to take video, people had stopped jumping, and it was not as noticeable I the video.
Officer Slater
I'm supposed to get up and jump when sandstorm and zombie nation play?
Personal Best
AG
quote:
Seriously, maybe we should stop ripping off two bit C-USA commuter schools and South Carolina and ban Sandstorm and Zombie Nation from ever being played at Kyle again.

Oh and fire the clown of a coach who peads the team in their silly jumping jack antics too.

We are A&M, not UH ot UCF.

We are A&M. What the **** does that mean? We are a perennial mid tier, underperforming program so we aren't allowed to play certain amplified music?

Fall on a dick brah.
AggieOil
AG
quote:
OP, please tell me you don't go out in public in A&M gear.

You sir are a real jackass
TopRowKyleField
Real black eye for somebody.
Billy Liuccis Facial Hair
AG
And tell me why we didn't build a new stadium?
cdowl38
AG
Charlie strong and Steven Spielberg are behind this
lotoarmy
AG
We keep playing like we have this year, we won't need the south zone anyway. Put a tarp over it.
howdy2u
AG
Very impressed with all the big boy words being whipped out in this thread. I'm sure they mean something important. T&P for New Kyle, I guess
schmellba99
AG
quote:
I am fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '92 B.S. Mechanical Engineering and I support this thread!

Do you guys remember watching the film in grade school showing the Tacoma Narrows Bridge up in Washington get torn to shreds by wind blowing at the natural frequency of the bridge even though a bunch of engineers "probably considered the wind"?

Do you remember the Hilton in Kansas City that collapsed in the middle of a concert in the foyer because of a fundamental misunderstanding of how the structure would be used (people all standing on the balconies of every floor at the same time to watch) causing a physical design failure?

How many years have we had Sandstorm playing at Kyle Field? Or the other songs that have never been played before at Kyle? It's probably fine, but engineers don't get paid to say it's probably fine. They get paid to consider account for the rare and unlikely when the consequence could be catastrophic.

Thanks Magnus for bringing some attention to this - - TexAgs will get it public enough to get it to the right folks!

Tava Narrows was a fumction of not really understanding steel consteuction in bridges (it was still a relatively new material at the time in the bridge world) and the designer being notorious for using the smallest and lightest members he could. In the case of the Tacoma Narrows, it was catasteophic when the wind bit a certain velocity.

The Hilton balcony was a combination of crappy design, crappy construction and shoddy inspection. The balcony would have failed at some point as a result of this. The concert just sped up the process.
Ridge14
quote:
quote:
I am fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '92 B.S. Mechanical Engineering and I support this thread!

Do you guys remember watching the film in grade school showing the Tacoma Narrows Bridge up in Washington get torn to shreds by wind blowing at the natural frequency of the bridge even though a bunch of engineers "probably considered the wind"?

Do you remember the Hilton in Kansas City that collapsed in the middle of a concert in the foyer because of a fundamental misunderstanding of how the structure would be used (people all standing on the balconies of every floor at the same time to watch) causing a physical design failure?

How many years have we had Sandstorm playing at Kyle Field? Or the other songs that have never been played before at Kyle? It's probably fine, but engineers don't get paid to say it's probably fine. They get paid to consider account for the rare and unlikely when the consequence could be catastrophic.

Thanks Magnus for bringing some attention to this - - TexAgs will get it public enough to get it to the right folks!

Tava Narrows was a fumction of not really understanding steel consteuction in bridges (it was still a relatively new material at the time in the bridge world) and the designer being notorious for using the smallest and lightest members he could. In the case of the Tacoma Narrows, it was catasteophic when the wind bit a certain velocity.

The Hilton balcony was a combination of crappy design, crappy construction and shoddy inspection. The balcony would have failed at some point as a result of this. The concert just sped up the process.
I thought they altered the original engineering design (which would have been fine) during actual construction without having it approved and reconsidered by the engineer. The audible changed the loading on the support rods between levels.
howdy2u
AG
quote:
The audible changed the loading on the support rods between levels.

Crap, they audibled to a bubble screen, didn't they?
Ridge14
quote:
quote:
The audible changed the loading on the support rods between levels.

Crap, they audibled to a bubble screen, didn't they?
That was the first audible, but ultimately they went with the short side option.
fireinthehole
Fatigue is not the concern. Fatigue is cracking from many thousands of reversals (tension to compression and back) of relatively small stress levels. Failure level stress from large deflection is the concern, it may be fine but should be reviewed.
ColoradoMooseHerd
As said the Kansas City hotel accident was a contractor mistake not a engineering design failure.
Furious George
AG
quote:
I has video evidence of deflection.

How do you post videos to facebook?

Can someone help this man?
WILDMAN95
AG
quote:
As said the Kansas City hotel accident was a contractor mistake not a engineering design failure.
Yep. It was on one of the Modern Marvels / Engineering Disasters episodes they did a few years back. And MM made it clear that the collapse was due to unauthorized design changes in the field.
Furious George
AG
quote:

I expect that the frequency for people bouncing to music would be around 2 cycles per second, but say a range of 1 to 3 cps for starters. Two parameters here, amplitude and frequency of the vertical dynamic force.

What are the amplitudes of motion at that location that are actually occurring? Should be obtainable from video analysis. If less than the amplitudes in the above question, wala, we be scrong den.

Sandstorm is 136 BPM
Ridge14
I'll give y'all a break since I took solid mechanics more recently than all you olds
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Fatigue is not the concern. Fatigue is cracking from many thousands of reversals (tension to compression and back) of relatively small stress levels. Failure level stress from large deflection is the concern, it may be fine but should be reviewed.

You mean low cycle fatigue is the concern.
BlueAg2003
AG
I'm so glad someone posted about this. My family and I sat on 2nd deck for the Mizzou game. During both the Power intro and Sandstorm, the deck was moving significantly. My dad was freaking out and was afraid the whole thing was going to collapse. Nobody believed me when I told them about how much I saw the deck move vertically. I hope someone checks this out.
InternetFan02
AG
My God is Sandstorm going to be the cause of a safety renovation to Kyle Field???
Ridge14
Waiting for civil engineering professor to check it out tonight and post here
STX Ag
AG
quote:
What's the frequency, Kenneth.
CaveDwellinAg
AG
You're a smart fellow, but you need to learn how to film with iPhone. Turn it sideways so you film in landscape, otherwise it looks pitiful on youtube.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.