Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Vertical dynamic deflection of south 2nd deck.

189,583 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by The Collective
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What makes you think it isn't?
Corps_Ag12
AG
Wow. You're dumb. Good luck with that when the university drags you through a courtroom until you don't have any money left to pay for a legal team. Wouldn't take more than a couple of years.

Like stated before, there are plenty of people who are willing to take your seats if you don't want them. This "issue" has been blown way out of proportion, IMHO.
Sharpshooter
AG
quote:
I have south end zone tickets so I'm just going to leave this here in case something happens when they crank Sandstorm a little too loudly...

If you do make a statue of me, PLEASE don't make my face look like the faces on those new statues on the east side!
What if that is exactly what your face looks like?
Zman91
AG
quote:
I thnk I'll just site in the horseshoe...
Boy are you in for a big surprise...
MarathonAg03
AG
quote:
Have we received any official answers on this issue yet? All of my tickets are in the SEZ, and even though I wasn't bothered at all last year, this internet thread is enough to make me fully believe that there is definitely a problem. I will be asking for club level West side seats next year if this is not fixed; otherwise I'll be DEMANDING a full refund of season ticket payments for this upcoming year and last, as well as the capital campaign. Further still, I will let the TMF know that they can expect a new lawsuit for displaced season ticket holders who were forced out of perfectly safe seats (they've literally been there for decades) into a death trap waiting to happen. If anyone feels similarly, let me know and we can go class-action.

Why do you believe that there is definitely a problem?

Good luck with all of your "demands."
Hoss
AG
quote:
Have we received any official answers on this issue yet? All of my tickets are in the SEZ, and even though I wasn't bothered at all last year, this internet thread is enough to make me fully believe that there is definitely a problem. I will be asking for club level West side seats next year if this is not fixed; otherwise I'll be DEMANDING a full refund of season ticket payments for this upcoming year and last, as well as the capital campaign. Further still, I will let the TMF know that they can expect a new lawsuit for displaced season ticket holders who were forced out of perfectly safe seats (they've literally been there for decades) into a death trap waiting to happen. If anyone feels similarly, let me know and we can go class-action.

I think you may overestimate your value to the university, so good luck with that.

It's hilarious when you say "even though I wasn't bothered at all last year" and then follow it with you're going to demand a refund for last year. Ha! Like I said, good luck with that.
WILDMAN95
AG
quote:
quote:

I think you may overestimate your value to the university, so good luck with that.

It's hilarious when you say "even though I wasn't bothered at all last year" and then follow it with you're going to demand a refund for last year. Ha! Like I said, good luck with that.
Hook / Line / Sinker.
Hoss
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hook / Line / Sinker.

Well shoot. I was hoping he actually was that full of himself. I was amused. I'll go back to lurking.
D. Turner
AG
This type of motion can be an annoyance and be perfectly safe.
Foxo
AG
quote:
Great, just great. Now our stadium sucks to.
First the grass and now the whole damn stadium.

"FYI - "Bro" was a common term to call your acquaintances before you were born."

What happened to Bubba?
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
This thread is the only thing that deserves to beat AppleCock in the tshirt contest
Ags06Win
AG
If you haven't experienced the south end zone... Don't!

It DOES NOT seem safe... I am a die-hard Aggie. Aggie Band Legacy from before WW2, and another future Aggie, hopefully, Class of 2036!

University should issue statement regarding the vertical movement. Second deck vs. LSU was significantly moving and did not seem safe at all. Maybe it is, but university should conduct tests, and issues findings prior to August.
LPMFTAC_2015
AG
TexasRebel
AG
Yep... Just threw it up there with whatever tape & wire was available. Probably ought to test the outcome...
SquawkITag
AG
The immediate and cheap "fix" is to stop playing that dumbass Sandstorm song....WE aint SC.
jpr1998
You wouldn't notice the shakiness if you were actually cheering/jumping/yelling olds
Class of 65
AG
Civil engineers work for the state since corporations and engineering companies don't need them .
MagnumLoad
A couple of boom lifts (55XA) were parked on the concourse under the SEZ second deck on 2/5, with the outriggers deployed. Some netting was hanging down from under the field edge of the SEZ second deck. I don't know why, or even if this is related to this subject.
Saint Arnold
AG
FWIW Kyle has been moving for years...

Steel support structures offer flexibility and always move to some extent, its just that most of the time you'll likely not notice it. Large structures have to allow for some movement for heat/cold flexing, high winds, and going from 0 to the weight of 100k fans. Skyscrapers move quite a bit, but if they were so stiff as not to move at all, you'd have severe cracking and something would give. I wouldn't worry about it. If it unnerves, then maybe shore it up to make people feel better (or less seasick). That was the case at UCF a few years ago at "the Trampoline".
aggiepaintrain
AG
there's 8 more seats in the SEZ now for you guys to fight over.
MagnumLoad
No structure is infinitely stiff. Therefore force (load) on the structure produces deflection, with the magnitude dependent on the structure stiffness. The vertical movement at the leading edge of the SEZ second deck, as noted in multiple posts on this thread, is perceived to be excessive. I believe that the movement of the press box during the war hymn is primarily horizontal. The SEZ second deck vertical movement during Sandstorm may be acceptable, BUT NEEDS TO BE CONFIRMED.

In the case of the vertical movement at the leading edge of the SEZ second deck, the force (load) during Sandstorm with fans jumping is comprised of two components. As you may recall, F=ma. The two components of a in this case are g (constant gravitational acceleration) and Ad (dynamic acceleration due to the movement). Ad is dependent on the frequency of movement and the amplitude or velocity of the cyclical movement. During part of the dynamic motion, Ad is in the same direction as g, and therefore additive. Maximum Ad would occur under maximum displacement (a lot of fans jumping in synch). Maximum Ad can be determined by theoretical analysis, or testing under small load at the subject frequency then extrapolating to full dynamic loading.

F= m(g + Ad). This is simplified and does not address some additional load from stopping the downward velocity of fans at the bottom of the jump (impact).

As an alternative, we could not play music that encourages jumping, and/or put up a sign to not jump in the SEZ.
TXAGFAN
AG
I will say kudos to you greedy folks who maxed out your season tix and now regret it since with no Johnny and go hum seasons it seems to not be as good of an idea. This is an excellent reason to get the 12th man to let you out of your contract with them.
MagnumLoad
No, it's not. If the movement is excessive, the problem will be fixed I believe. Texas A&M and the Kyle Field redevelopment committee are not going to take chances with our safety.

Edited to add that the above is my opinion. However, I would be shocked if the structure was not fully checked for the subject loading and fixed if need be, given the numerous documented complaints and concerns.

Edited again to note that I have renewed and paid for seats in the SEZ second deck.
SJAG75
Northgate actually Northeast?
oysterbayAG
AG
Magnum,
It seems strange that after all this time , the disposition of this is being kept so secret . Could it be that the
Architect / Engineer & Contractor are embarrassed , and don't want to damage their reputations , and it is quietly being corrected in sequence with the remainder of the Project ?
fooz
quote:
The immediate and cheap "fix" is to stop playing that dumbass Sandstorm song....WE aint SC.

Underrated post.
D. Turner
AG
Press box sway studied previously. This has to be Kyle Field. See below.

Numerous papers on structure movement in sports stadiums in link below. One of them references instrumentation used by Walter P. Moore on an existing stadium. Was this Kyle Field? Note the word "hymn" and side sway.

"Document type: Conference Proceeding Paper
Part of: Forensic Engineering (2006)
Abstract: Individuals sitting in the press box and suite levels of a college football stadium had noted significant structural vibrations during games, specifically when the home crowd sings their sports hymn. Synchronized side sway of tens of thousands of spectators during the chanting of the sports hymn appeared to be the prime reason of the vibrations. This reinforced concrete stadium has gone through several stages of expansions and renovations over the years. Walter P. Moore and Associates, Inc. (WPM) instrumented the various section of the stadium with accelerometers to evaluate the levels of vibrations during three games of a recent season.

Our testing revealed that the lateral vibration levels in the press box and suite levels to be strongly perceptible, mostly occurring around 1.4 Hz. "

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?rlz=1Y3JHSK_enUS616US616&espv=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&lr&q=related:mawFhJYv9xz8GM:scholar.google.com/

TexasRebel
AG
Do you know anything about harmonics?

Or for that matter, civil engineering?
JJxvi
AG
I've listed to Blues Traveler...
agmrpink
AG
quote:
Walter P. Moore and Associates, Inc. (WPM) instrumented the various section of the stadium with accelerometers to evaluate the levels of vibrations during three games of a recent season. Our testing revealed .....

WHAT DID THE TESTING REVEAL??!!??!!!?
agcivengineer
AG
Fwiw...I visited the SEZ 2nd deck on saturday as I was scouting out my future seats. Yes, I am thinking seriously about selecting the front row, center or slightly to the side. I inspected the concrete for any cracks and did not observe a single crack or any distress. If in fact the movement was excessive, I would expect some cracks in the concrete, but there were none..
D. Turner
AG
"... that the lateral vibration levels in the press box and suite levels to be strongly perceptible, mostly occurring around 1.4 Hz. "
Aggie1
AG
A lot of people sure pay a lot of $$ for a ride at 6-Flags, Disneyworld, etc., etc.... This "ride" is "free" along with the compounded exhilarating experience of watching Texas Aggie Football at Kyle Field...
aggiepaintrain
AG
"Supposed to be fixed"
-my sources
phatbeast
AG
All engineers are charlatans.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.