Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Vertical dynamic deflection of south 2nd deck.

189,557 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by The Collective
aggieaviator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Damn I knew I should have sprung for those West side seats.
I don't know. Dying at Kyle Field is noble. Im sure they will erect a kickass statue of the event.
Smilin Jack Ross
AG
Do we actually have an engineering department anymore?
oysterbayAG
AG
We have the Dwight Look College of Engineering with over 10,000 students. Someone should walk over to the Department of Civil Engineering and ask some of the Professors and Graduate Students if anyone is involved in this etc.
Ogre09
AG
quote:
quote:
Just looked through this thread. I love all the engineers agreeing there is a concern, and all the lay people saying "I'm not an engineer, but I saw a building move once. So it's probably OK"

I actually think the OP was getting the public spun up over nothing.

Got any data to back that up, or just going off your gut?
TexasRebel
AG
Sounds like a good question for the OP.
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
I don't know. Dying at Kyle Field is noble. Im sure they will erect a kickass statue of the event.
I have south end zone tickets so I'm just going to leave this here in case something happens when they crank Sandstorm a little too loudly...

If you do make a statue of me, PLEASE don't make my face look like the faces on those new statues on the east side!
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:
I have south end zone tickets so I'm just going to leave this here in case something happens when they crank Sandstorm a little too loudly...

If you do make a statue of me, PLEASE don't make my face look like the faces on those new statues on the east side!

SEZ 2nd deck waterbed moving seats here as well. If I go...I don't want a picture...just put my name on a plaque with a quote that reads:

quote:
Overall, he was kind of an ******* at times. But damnit, he was OUR *******!
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
Sent a detailed letter on 12/5 to 12th Man president, Sam Torn, Sharp, and the interim president. A detailed forced response analysis is needed to confirm that IMO, using a substantial portion of fans jumping in synch to the music in question as the forcing function. The analysis could be empirical also.
Sounds like a job for the incoming Class of Freshman. Fish Camp starts in the SEZ!
mpaggie06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

SEZ 2nd deck waterbed moving seats here as well. If I go...I don't want a picture...just put my name on a plaque with a quote that reads:

quote:
Overall, he was kind of an ******* at times. But damnit, he was OUR *******!

We must have seats pretty close to each other, Bunk. I don't think you're aiming big enough, though. If I go out in Kyle2.0, all I want is "mpaggie06 SEZ Memorial Stadium at Kyle Field, presented by Shiner Bock/Bluebell Icecream/American Momentum Bank" and guarantees that they will never bevel any logos near the stadium again.

They can put our plaques on the back of the chairs at The Silk Stocking.
Frok
AG
quote:
Damn I knew I should have sprung for those West side seats.
Haha.
MagnumLoad
The documented concern of many fans sitting in the SEZ 2nd deck, including engineers who are not usually startled or concerned about "normal" structural movement, is sufficient data to warrant additional analysis of the second deck structure for the subject loading and resultant movement.

As I previously stated, I am confident the subject movement will be thoroughly analyzed and investigated, and remediation measures taken if needed. Anything less would be negligent and astonishing actually, particularly given the exposure.

The last communication I received was that we are waiting on a written report from the engineers. The responsible parties are obviously on this, and I have to believe safety will ultimately not be compromised.
TexasRebel
AG
Will be?

...or already has been.
JaySugar
MagnumLoad,
thanks for staying on top of this.
I surely don't want to see a bad accident at Kyle because of bad construction.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Are we still talking about this?
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
You obviously don't have 2nd Deck SEZ seats if you think this has been discussed too much!

howdy2u
AG
quote:

Kinda, but it is starting to go full zoo. I'm surprised it stayed on topic this long.
fireinthehole
It's important actually.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Will be?

...or already has been.

This. Which is why I think it's much to do about nothing.
joebobsa
AG
There is definitely an issue. It has been tested, and in advance of results I predict that remediation will take place. Simple placement of structural support to mitigate what's going on will happen. And it will be done prior to the 1st game. Includes columns.
Fitch
AG
I predict something similar. But it may come back that the only change is an added placard.

I guess we'll see in time.
MagnumLoad
"Think" is way different than "know" Phil. It is important, critical actually, that we know, which is and was the point. Carry on.
Philip J Fry
AG
Which is precisely why I said think. I don't know any of the analytical details (nor do you), but based on their past history of stadium construction, I think it's much do to over nothing.
Fitch
AG
I "think" the structure is engineered just fine. But people have comfort thresholds that are different than what structurally sound means on paper.

There can be no issue in the steel, but if people feel unsafe the owners of the stadium have an issue.
TexasRebel
AG
Bracing it to limit motion to make you comfortable is how disasters happen.

Field changes are dangerous. See the Hyatt disaster.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:

Absolutely...any changes better be thoroughly analyzed before they are implemented.
cannonfodder02
AG
I wish Clucky was around to give us some sketches to help clarify what we are talking about here. Think it would really help.
cannonfodder02
AG
quote:
quote:

Absolutely...any changes better be thoroughly analyzed before they are implemented.
Holy hell...

MagnumLoad
The dynamic loading in question is not specified in the building codes. Thus "on paper" may not come close enough to reality. I trust it will be fixed if need be, and without any disaster. The code only says something about any unusual dynamic or impact loading should be considered, thus engineering judgement is critical but not found in texts.

BTW, the Hyaytt field changes were not made to limit movement for comfort. The field changes were not engineered, but rather made by the contractor for expediency. Not a good comparison. Any modifications in this case will be engineered in all probability.
SpiderM85
AG
I am all in with Magnum!
TexasRebel
AG
You're assuming a problem where there is not one.

A distributed load of 200 #/sq ft isn't much. Double that for a person jumping and it still doesn't come close to a bridge full of 80,000# semis on small contact patches.
MagnumLoad
The above example has nothing whatsoever to do with dynamic response, which is both amplitude and frequency dependent. I'm weary and out.
Philip J Fry
AG
Rebel's example is simply that you shouldn't rush into fixing a job without completely vetting it. At least, that's what I think he's saying. How many Hz do you stiffen it (if it needs to be)? It will just do the same thing next time there's a faster paced song to jump/bounce to if you don't raise it high enough.
TexasRebel
AG
Really... A vehicle moving across a bridge doesn't create an alternating wave as it crosses the nodes of the truss? Seams in the deck don't make cars bounce In rhythm dependent on speed?

Do you even think?
Corps_Ag12
AG
quote:
BTW, the Hyaytt field changes were not made to limit movement for comfort. The field changes were not engineered, but rather made by the contractor for expediency.

False.

The changes were made by the contractor yes, but the changes to the design were also approved by the engineering team in the review of the shop drawings. The engineering team lost their licenses to be engineers due to gross negligence.

It was not a "field change".
TexasRebel
AG
It was a field change as it was a change in design driven by practical application. It was not analyzed as it should have been due to time constraints (trying to open before a certain event)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.