Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Vertical dynamic deflection of south 2nd deck.

189,547 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by The Collective
RoyIII_Ag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had forgotten about this thread, but one of my friends experienced this too. He said it was scary how much the stands were shaking, but most of the people he was with were drunk and thought it was fun.

I trust the stadium was engineered properly, but I would be very unnerved if any structure I was in shook the way he and others have described it.
MagnumLoad
Good point about the construction oyster. I also noted that a structural inspection should be made. I am sure this will be properly addressed and fixes made if needed. The responsible parties are aware of it and there is too much out there to ignore. Whatever you may think about their politics, they are good people and I do not believe they are going to take chances with our safety.
oysterbayAG
AG
Thanks Magnum, for all your work on this important issue. Please keep us informed on the details of the responses of the responsible people going forward. As someone once said " Trust But Verify "
ColoAg95
AG
If the motion is strong enough to concern non-structural engineers, then it is not within acceptable limits. Don't give up. Who is the EOR? You should copy the board of engineers on your letter if you are not getting an adequate response.
oysterbayAG
AG
PS : Kyle Field must accommodate all types of physical celebratory movements by our fans. Our fans are everything. I think it would be helpful to send a notification of this concern personally to these responsible people, if they have not been notified yet : Rick Perry, Eric Hyman, Kevin Sumlin, and Dr M. Katherine Banks.
We should be a dog with a bone on this !
LuvMarley
quote:
Even if " movement is within generally accepted limits " , the structure should be beefed up ! Do we want to take any chances whatsoever ? Do we want to continuously scare the fans ? An independent Engineer should be hired to check the Design and issue a written report. Also, it is possible that there is a fault in the construction which should be physically checked. We must make this issue go away for good , whatever the cost !
I could not agree more. My entire living family will be sitting in the SEZ 2nd level. I love me some Aggie football but nothing is worth risking anyone's life.
joebobsa
AG
So what's the latest? I think some testing took place today on this...
aggie_2001_2005
That was just listeater jumping up and down.
JaySugar
I will be in the new south endzone as well. In the middle deck. Definitely wanting to hear that it is being tested for safety.
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
Joebobsa, what did you see that makes you think it was tested today?
Counterpoint
AG
Maybe that's the REAL reason the construction cams were turned off yesterday?

*removes tin foil hat.
Ishmael-Ag
AG
quote:
I can't believe the company who built the structure didn't have several engineers study this design. That's a real black eye for them and the university.
But have they ever attended an A&M game and seen how the fans can act in unison with a substantial amout of weight?

My guess: I highly doubt they even thought of that factor.

OP has a good point.

Just remember that Allens's multimillion $ stadium was flawed too. Some genius designed it as well.
Smithjg
I'm no engineer, though I do love trains. Ran across this article and thought of this thread, it details how Tesla invented a machine that could basically simulate an earthquake and allegedly bring down a tall building. Does his study of vibrations and harmonics have anything to do with the issue this OP is discussing? Just curious. Thanks

http://www.rexresearch.com/teslamos/tmosc.htm
Shawdawg
AG
Magnum- try writing a letter to the Chief Engineer to the City if College Station. The permit is most likely pulled through them.
MarathonAg03
AG
quote:
Magnum- try writing a letter to the Chief Engineer to the City if College Station. The permit is most likely pulled through them.

Probably not.
agcivengineer
AG
I will be picking my seats soon for the 2nd deck of SEZ. I am curious about your opinions of where is the best angle in the section. Is it down the middle of the field, or off to an angle, not taking into account the apparent roller coaster ride you get in the center...
Texaggie7nine
Most movement I ever felt in a staduim was at Byany Denny during the 2012 a&m vs bama game when Cooper caught the long TD pass.
7nine
McJulie-O
AG
Game day actions would be hard to simulate ... how could you anticipate it all?
Frok
AG
I was in a parking garage this past week and every time a car drove past the whole thing would shake. Maybe that's normal for steel supported structures like that?

A Person
AG
Just looked through this thread. I love all the engineers agreeing there is a concern, and all the lay people saying "I'm not an engineer, but I saw a building move once. So it's probably OK"
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Someone needs to stay in a Holiday Inn Express tonight and get us a dang solution tomorrow!
oysterbayAG
AG
The Architect, Populous, has designed many State Of The Art Stadiums : Metlife , McLane @ Baylor , Citi Field Yankee Stadium , Houston Cougar Field etc. and Manhattan Construction has built many for them. Why can't the Architect and Contractor be asked if any other stadiums have this problem. The Facilities Manager of Kyle Field should contact the Managers of all these other Stadiums to find out if this problem is an occurrence elsewhere. For all this money, why should TAMU have to put up with this !!! Also, Manhattan is the Contractor for both President Bush Libraries.
JJxvi
AG
Maybe it isn't really a problem?
oysterbayAG
AG
It may not turn out to be a structural problem that will fail, but the inordinate amount of deflection that scares children is a serious problem that needs to be fixed.
trickplay
This thread makes me laugh. It just keeps on giving!
Falsedawn
AG
quote:
It may not turn out to be a structural problem that will fail, but the inordinate amount of deflection that scares children is a serious problem that needs to be fixed.

Lol, what about the kids tho!!!
TexasRebel
AG
So... When did we stop engineering motion into systems? I'd rather have that moment distributed across a deflecting beam than concentrated at one point.

Plus, a steel truss would be pinned to allow motion where concrete cannot be allowed to move as much due to its brittle nature.

The Tacoma Narrows bridge was designed with wind in mind, and unnaturally high wind speeds showed a flaw in accepted designs at the time. It wasn't that they hadn't considered it, but they hadn't tested long spans with evenly spaced supports.

The Hyatt disaster was not on the engineers. That was the fault of the contractors cutting corners and not getting proper approval for field changes to the design. Now engineers oversee the construction process.

Trusses move. Get over it. It'll actually be a hell of a lot worse if sections bounce alternatively across the supports. The worst case load on a bridge is not a uniform load as you might think. The worse case is when there is no load between two intermediate supports.

If OP was any good with CE, he would have looked to see if there was a sinusoidal deflection.
Shooz in Katy
AG
"My engineering peenus is bigger than your engineering peenus," says the TexasRebel to the OP.
mhayden
Is this like in Ghostbusters 2 when they slime the Statue of Liberty and play "Higher and Higher" and she moves around?

If it's like that I think we're OK - Vigo the Carpathian was destroyed.
sharpdressedman
quote:

... he would have looked to see if there was a sinusoidal deflection.
Cedar fever can be hellish.
r2row23
AG
But did you die!!!
DR OK
Need to restrict musical frequencies that are in conflict with potential natural structural frequencies. No hip hop.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Just looked through this thread. I love all the engineers agreeing there is a concern, and all the lay people saying "I'm not an engineer, but I saw a building move once. So it's probably OK"

I actually think the OP was getting the public spun up over nothing.
aggiepaintrain
AG
the movement does not feel normal and I commented on it after the Lamar game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.