Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Fish Camp Disgraces Bonfire Memorial!!!

284,162 Views | 1007 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by mAgnoliAg
FightingAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
No real harm or foul just not a great idea.

quote:
I have no words as I sit here in tears...My daughter class of 14 is incredibly upset and sitting in the back office of her job in tears as well.

Those who were impacted by the tragedy, i can guarantee you, are feeling a good bit of harm right now.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
Also, the explicit sexual commentary about the girls in the photos are not at all appropriate. One of the core values of Texas A&M is respect. Yeah, these students disrespected the Bonfire Memorial BUT we don't live an eye-for-an-eye culture anymore. Show some decency, folks.

Shes dressed AND acting like a ***** in pictures she knew could be public. The fact that she didnt have these deleted speaks volumes. Shes seen them.

Maybe its time she learns that in the grown up world, you get called out for such behavior.

And your friend is an ass.

smcguire61
To clarify, I am NOT one of the students pictured. I refrained from joining the Fish Camp system because it's so very cliquey and I don't think it's the best way to introduce freshmen to traditions. Also, I'm not excusing these people from doing what they did. It's disrespectful and not behavior I expect from my classmates. I'm saying, we don't need to jump down their throats like we're doing. This situation does need to be remedied but the way you're suggesting it be done is ridiculous.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
quote:
I'm sure this was obviously not meant to offend anybody but I do agree this was bad taste.
I'm sure they're great Aggies but maybe don't have the same appreciation for the word "memorial" as others.

The issue isn't that it was or was not intentional, it's about the fact that in the hours spent planning and taking the pictures, not a single one of them stopped and said this might not be a great idea. How so many of them could think this is appropriate is incredible.
FTA011
AG
quote:
I have no words as I sit here in tears...My daughter class of 14 is incredibly upset and sitting in the back office of her job in tears as well. We can tell that one of the portals used for these tasteless photos belongs to a family member. A young man we watched grow up. A young man that lost his life showing his love and dedication for his school. We spent many hours praying and waiting by the phone and refreshing the internet site to to see he would be found alive. These students need to be held accountable. Leadership positions of any kind should be revoked. In addition, I propose that they meet face to face with family members who lost a loved one in the bonfire collapse.

This should be sent to every single person involved in this ridiculous photoshoot
The Collective
AG
Someone said one of those photographed was a dead zip...
KSigAg12
AG
If someone is seriously going to call one of these kids "redass" then "redass" as a term is now a joke and needs to die.

Bowtie needs to drop the hammer.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
quote:
will they?

One would have to assume that after pissing off so many people on here and with members saying they've been calling the office, that they will be indeed.

To what extent, I have no idea, but I'll assume in the least some apology is going to be made by the group, if it even is the group.
No Spin Ag
pathetic and those involved should be ashamed
BCO07
AG
one of my biggest problems with this is that these are the people chosen to teach new students about A&M.

my biggest problem is that they have lost sight of this:
quote:
I have no words as I sit here in tears...My daughter class of 14 is incredibly upset and sitting in the back office of her job in tears as well. We can tell that one of the portals used for these tasteless photos belongs to a family member. A young man we watched grow up. A young man that lost his life showing his love and dedication for his school. We spent many hours praying and waiting by the phone and refreshing the internet site to to see he would be found alive. These students need to be held accountable. Leadership positions of any kind should be revoked. In addition, I propose that they meet face to face with family members who lost a loved one in the bonfire collapse.

tag8
AG
Seriously? Forbidding them from getting their ring? That's ridiculous.

Yes, they made a MISTAKE, and I am sure they know of it now. There is no way anyone in that camp feels good about the pictures they took after this. But the way some of ya'll are acting, you would think they graffiti-ed, shat on, and bulldozed the place.

The right punishment will be enforced.
Jeffersons Ghost
If this is a fish camp their entire camp should be disbanded. They can distribute the fish among the other camps.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
quote:

Imagine if you were the parent who lost his child and that specific portal is dedicated to you child. I think you'd be VERY hurt to see these idiots step on and make inappropriate poses on the Memorial.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
quote:

Yes, they made a MISTAKE, and I am sure they know of it now. There is no way anyone in that camp feels good about the pictures they took after this. But the way some of ya'll are acting, you would think they graffiti-ed, shat on, and bulldozed the place.

ThatGuy05
Sau_m_off said:

quote:

From someone who built four offcampus Bonfires, was in an all-male dorm, whose Class of '03 and before residents went out to Cut with us--you can rest assured that this bothers some of us to the core of our beings. I'm already getting the crew rounded up, and we're not going to let this rest. You have my sincere condolences and thanks for being honest enough to post this. I know this must be heart-wrenching. Not to belittle your sacrifices and pain in anyway, but to bring you some positive news, my buddy John C. who was hurt terribly that night has begun to walk under his own power again.

With love,

That Guy
RAB '05
TJaggie14
Guitarsoup
AG
Don't lose sight of this.

quote:

SECivil Ag-11
AG
quote:
In addition, I propose that they meet face to face with family members who lost a loved one in the bonfire collapse.

THIS
Post removed:
by user
Bitter Old Man
AG
quote:
This is Ol' Army getting miffed that a handful of New Army folks screwed up and not being understanding of the situation.

Wrong kid, this is people angry that these idiots took cutsey pictures (presumably for Fish Camp, an org that should know better) on top of what amounts to the headstones of our friends. These werent men who died in combat a world away 75 years ago. These were friends of ours who died in the very place these kids are standing. One of the kids in this picture is a "keeper of the spirit."
KSigAg12
AG
Look, you can say what I said about the rings as going to far, but I'm not backing off of it. They probably will get them, but they do not, in any way shape or form, deserve to wear them. The academic achievement required to get the ring, to me, is only a part of the equation. You have to appreciate our school, love it and love what it means to be an Aggie. These kids do NOT get it. Sorry I'm not sorry.

[This message has been edited by KSigAg12 (edited 6/27/2013 3:09p).]
Original Toad Boy
quote:

sorry for your loss.
tiger08
That's what i don't understand. The Bonfire Memorial isn't just some other memorial on campus. It is extremely personal and intimate. No more than inches away from those peoples' faces is a picture of someone who died, their signature, and rememberances of that person. Its not just a name on a plague. Each portal is a microcosim of that persons life. How can you smile and joke around when your head is literally inches away from the picture of a person who lost their life. While that girl was propping her foot up on the side of the memorial, how could she ignore the picture of a dead aggie or a quote about this person's life.

Learn some respect children. And yes, I used children purposefully.

[This message has been edited by tiger08 (edited 6/27/2013 3:11p).]
Malachi Constant
AG
quote:
quote:

This should be sent to every single person involved in this ridiculous photoshoot
Sentinel
AG
Instead of sitting here and complaining let's send 'em a message.

http://www.facebook.com/FishCampTAMU
http://twitter.com/FishCampTAMU
http://fishcamp.tamu.edu/node/6
JuliusCaesarAggie
I say let'em crash

-----------------------------------------------------------
ThatGuy05
agrunner12 said:

quote:

Absolutely they should not be allowed to get their rings. The symbolism of the ring's crest includes five stars, one of which symbolizes "integrity of character". These people have none, just like Lindsey Stone, the lady here:

It's without class, and shows low character. I'd be ashamed if people like this wore the Aggie Ring. Some of us actually take pride in what it stands for, the symbolism on it, and the traditions and values upon which it is based. It's not just a hollow gold circle to some of us.
Sandman98
AG

[This message has been edited by Sandman98 (edited 6/27/2013 3:12p).]
FightingAggie
AG
I can't stop by Bonfire Memorial without my eyes welling up, much less crack a smile or something when I'm by one of the portals. I can't imagine what it would take to just grin and make poses like that in those same positions.
Brock Sampson
AG
Aside from my joking earlier about the girl letting it all hang out, the pictures are an embarrassment to current students. Way to represent us all
LawAg05
AG
Taking away rings? Something they worked and paid for over the course of years because they took a non-nude photo?

I agree it was inappropriate, in poor taste, and disrespectful but they will get punished accordingly. Taking away rings is going off the deep end.
liveandlearn
Did any of you stop to think this isn't a Fish Camp as a whole thing? This was one camp's poor choice. The other 39 are not to blame. No, it wasn't a respectful choice to take pictures at such a solemn memorial but there is no reason to blame all of Fish Camp. If we're going to say Fish Camp is a horrible organization because of a handful of people's poor decision, we might as well judge A&M as a university based on Johnny Manziel's actions since he's such a huge face for the university should we not? Don't judge the whole organization based on one camp. It is still a great organization and a fantastic way for freshmen to be welcomed into the Aggie family. One poor choice shouldn't change that.
iParty
AG
Never underestimate the power of dumbass.

ArmyAg13
"I have no words as I sit here in tears...My daughter class of 14 is incredibly upset and sitting in the back office of her job in tears as well. We can tell that one of the portals used for these tasteless photos belongs to a family member. A young man we watched grow up. A young man that lost his life showing his love and dedication for his school. We spent many hours praying and waiting by the phone and refreshing the internet site to to see he would be found alive. These students need to be held accountable. Leadership positions of any kind should be revoked. In addition, I propose that they meet face to face with family members who lost a loved one in the bonfire collapse."

This should be emailed to the chairs of fish camp to show the outcome of these foolish actions
ArmyAg13
"I have no words as I sit here in tears...My daughter class of 14 is incredibly upset and sitting in the back office of her job in tears as well. We can tell that one of the portals used for these tasteless photos belongs to a family member. A young man we watched grow up. A young man that lost his life showing his love and dedication for his school. We spent many hours praying and waiting by the phone and refreshing the internet site to to see he would be found alive. These students need to be held accountable. Leadership positions of any kind should be revoked. In addition, I propose that they meet face to face with family members who lost a loved one in the bonfire collapse."

This should be emailed to the chairs of fish camp to show the outcome of these foolish actions

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.