Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Fish Camp Disgraces Bonfire Memorial!!!

284,163 Views | 1007 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by mAgnoliAg
Phog06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What a bunch of fools/morons! Just low class.
chosin
AG
quote:
You've bumped yours if you think the school is going to take action against someone for acting stupid at a memorial.

Reading comprehension, broseph. I didn't say they would - just that they could - when you stated they couldn't.
Mr. Tyler Durden
On they bright side a least this makes what JFF did look like not such a big deal.
ramO
AG
Common sense never gets kicked into gear anymore.
Jeffersons Ghost
The general board thread on this moved me back to angry again.
ramO
AG
Poor misguided aby
meggy09
AG
They'll all get charged with conduct unbecoming of a student, one semester deferred probation and have to attend an Ethics and Decision Making workshop from SCRS. Book it.
Jeffersons Ghost
quote:
Book it.

What odds are you giving us on that booking?
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
quote:
(they) had no intention of dishonoring the bonfire memorial.

OK,I'll bite. What was their intention?
murphyag
AG
I doubt those idiots feel bad. If they had any substance of character they would not have taken the pictures in the first place. They need to immediately be dismissed from their counselor duties. I am sure there are some well deserving alternates ready to step in. Hell,I will take vacation and volunteer my services as a counselor if need be.
jml2012
AG
quote:
I am just surprised they didn't also take a picture of them all wearing hats in the MSC, or goofing around on the grass in front of it. Maybe that was the plan for the group pictures after Fish Camp was over.

Or pulling a Harvey Updyke on the century tree.
mstead12
AG
Kbtx reporting on it at 10 tonight.
https://twitter.com/ClayFalls
meggy09
AG
quote:
quote:
Book it.

What odds are you giving us on that booking?

Booking.yeah!

100:1 for it, easy. Doubt their exact punishment is made public, but any university action will probably result in what I said. Possibly some sort of community service associated with the memorial or direct apologies to the families to tailor it to the situation though.
FtnTXAg03
AG
For what it's worth...

I don't blow my cover often, but this is a personal matter requiring the greatest attention. I am deeply involved with Bonfire today, and it is in the hearts' of the Aggies that I am proud to know that I find the assurance that we can grow from this. As a Former Student, a former participant, a Dead Grey Pot, a current supporter, and a passionate advocate, I am not only drawn to participate in this, but I feel that it is my responsibility to do so. Not through actions of my own, but through empowering and advocating for the current students who make these values part of them. These students exist, and their pride and conviction and sense of legacy is impressive.

Today's actions at the Bonfire Memorial may well be marked as a moment of great consequence. We may look back and see this as a moment where Old Army had enough, and returned the hurt they felt with so much venom and spite as to damage what relationship and influence with current students they had.

Or we may look back on this moment as a time where values, and spirit, and passion won out. When institutional pride trumped personal pride. When advancement was achieved through a sense of legacy, and the lifelong commitment that we all made to each other, to every Aggie past, present, and Future.

I cannot promise to be effective. But I can promise to try. In whatever capacity I may enjoy, I will do my part.

Gig 'em, Aggies.

Dion C. McInnis, '03

---
Gallery on fb, twitter
Jeffersons Ghost
I'd like to lay down the maximum amount you can cover when you lose. Nothing close to that will happen.
munch96
AG
If the counselors did not know any better, then the issues go further back to previous fish camp sessions. What else is fish camp
not teaching about A&M?
aggieinflorida01
A friend posted a link to this thread on FB. After reading through half of the pages, some of the Texags responses are just as disgusting and in bad taste as the fish camp pictures at Bonfire memorial. Stop criticizing for a moment, be an Aggie, and help this misguided group. Tearing down the very ones that are supposed to build up the class of '17 is not the answer.
SACR
AG

Sorry, but that apology isn't anywhere close to enough.

These people really need to be dismissed as counselors. Maybe then it will sink in that this wasn't just "a mistake", but a horrific idea with consequences.

These counselors are supposed to be leaders. Part of leadership is making good decisions, and they have already shown a remarkable lack of ability in this area. You don't want poor leaders like these teaching freshmen.

You pull a stupid stunt like this in the real world, and you're out of a job.

quote:
While I was not present when the photographs were taken, I know the students involved are devastated by the hurt that this has caused to the families and friends of those fallen Aggies and all other members of the Aggie family.

Devastated? Hardly. I'm sure the families of the fallen were devastated when they heard about or saw these pictures, but I doubt these counselors were anywhere close to devastated. Those smiling faces are not the faces of people experiencing emotional devastation. If these people cared enough to actually be devastated by their actions, they would have already known the meaning of the Memorial, and sought elsewhere for a group picture.

quote:
We continually strive to improve the education our members and incoming freshmen receive about the rich traditions and history that we hold dear at Texas A&M University. I assure you that my fellow directors and I will take active steps in using this moment as a point of education, not only for those involved in the incident, but for the entire organization.

Ok, I really question this. How the HELL do you select people as Fish Camp counselors who know so little about the traditions of A&M that they don't know what the Bonfire Memorial is? How tone deaf do you have to be to not realize this was a bad idea?

Either these people knew about the Memorial, and decided to take these pictures anyway, in which case they were intentionally being disrespectful, or they were ignorant of this tradition, in which case they are too stupid to be counselors. Either way, this is unacceptable.

You want to make this "a point of education". This isn't a teaching opportunity. This is an example opportunity. Make an example out of these people.

Remove them of their position as counselors. Maybe when they see the true consequences of their actions, they will be 'devastated'.
joebobsa
AG
Damn - did not read this thread earlier until now. Self-absorbed and not infused with Ag spirit
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
A friend posted a link to this thread on FB. After reading through half of the pages, some of the Texags responses are just as disgusting and in bad taste as the fish camp pictures at Bonfire memorial. Stop criticizing for a moment, be an Aggie, and help this misguided group. Tearing down the very ones that are supposed to build up the class of '17 is not the answer.

That's complete and utter bull ****. The only ags that have in bad taste are those morons in those pictures. We have every right to be insulted by their actions and voice our displeasure.
Sandman98
AG
This thread should be deleted. It won't be just the perpetrators that are embarrassed when this thread gets some legs.
SACR
AG
quote:
I don't blow my cover often, but this is a personal matter requiring the greatest attention. I am deeply involved with Bonfire today, and it is in the hearts' of the Aggies that I am proud to know that I find the assurance that we can grow from this. As a Former Student, a former participant, a Dead Grey Pot, a current supporter, and a passionate advocate, I am not only drawn to participate in this, but I feel that it is my responsibility to do so. Not through actions of my own, but through empowering and advocating for the current students who make these values part of them. These students exist, and their pride and conviction and sense of legacy is impressive.

Today's actions at the Bonfire Memorial may well be marked as a moment of great consequence. We may look back and see this as a moment where Old Army had enough, and returned the hurt they felt with so much venom and spite as to damage what relationship and influence with current students they had.

Or we may look back on this moment as a time where values, and spirit, and passion won out. When institutional pride trumped personal pride. When advancement was achieved through a sense of legacy, and the lifelong commitment that we all made to each other, to every Aggie past, present, and Future.

I cannot promise to be effective. But I can promise to try. In whatever capacity I may enjoy, I will do my part.

Gig 'em, Aggies.

Dion C. McInnis, '03

That is a lot of self-important pomposity to say absolutely nothing.

Are you in politics?
Oscar Diggs
AG
In order to teach Aggie traditions and values, I would think you should be required to know Aggie traditions and values.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
Tearing down the very ones that are supposed to build up the class of '17 is not the answer.

They are clearly the wrong people for the job.
SACR
AG
quote:
quote:

Tearing down the very ones that are supposed to build up the class of '17 is not the answer.

This
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
quote:
quote:

Exactly!
FtnTXAg03
AG
SACR, I understood where this message might come across in that way. It was worth the risk.

My point is, I consider myself lucky to be in a position as a Former Student to help students help each other. To help, to participate. Not to rail and run down.

If that's pompous, so be it. But if just one motivated Former Student reads that and says "Hey, I can actually do something too" than it's well worth it.
Jeffersons Ghost
Seems fish camp has fallen a long way since the days of Alex Cabanas
HeadGames
AG
quote:

quote:

exactly, this guy gets it.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
Seems fish camp has fallen a long way since the days of Alex Cabanas

No sh*t, I was just thinking about Alex. Maybe he would volunteer to sit in a room with the current leadership and discuss.

CiboloAg
Sorry, only got thru 1st 4 pages but didn't see answer: is there confirmation that these are fish camp counselors?
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
quote:
Sorry, only got thru 1st 4 pages but didn't see answer: is there confirmation that these are fish camp counselors?

Read the thread.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
is there confirmation that these are fish camp counselors?

Yes. FC chair issued a statement.
bcasey03
AG
Class of '03 checking in. I remember that morning very well.

This is upsetting to say the least.
Jeffersons Ghost
Cibolo - yes

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.