Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Fish Camp Disgraces Bonfire Memorial!!!

284,137 Views | 1007 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by mAgnoliAg
BradC34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So... What are the odds somebody in the pictures has posted in this thread?
AggieEE
AG
Quick, someone use some face recognition software & hack the ID card office's image database. Then we can systematically find the perps and...who knows...

But seriously, if one wanted to, could they?
Mr Nice Guy
AG
Fish Camp does some things very well, tradition is not one of them. However, before we trash the whole organization, remember that this was just one camp that made a mistake.
TefIon Don
AG
F-cking idiot fish camp counselors (redundant)
AggieEE
AG
quote:
So... What are the odds somebody in the pictures has posted in this thread?

This can be calculated.
pmoney10
AG
bkcoody12,
Are you c/o 16?
dimeboxaggie
AG
quote:
Urge to kill, rising.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
quote:
pretty sure no-one said this was T-Camp

I was writing T Camp and thinking Fish Camp, I wasn't implicating T Camp and had since edited my post. Apologies. Wasn't paying attention
TexAg_Will
AG
Ridiculous.
smcguire61
This is kind of ridiculous no matter which way we cut it. Memorials mean a great deal to me, regardless of what they stand for, because I've lost people to wars and tragedies. Using Bonfire Memorial as a backdrop for humor is disrespectful to the losses that the memorial represents. There are so many different places across campus that can be used as an appropriate, respectful place to take pictures. That being said, I know one of the people pictured. We spent a great deal of time together over the past semester. He's a really stand-up redass guy. Like it's been iterated so many times already, there was probably NO thought behind the placement of these pictures. That being said, we need to back the **** off just a little bit. Yes, my classmates made a mistake. But the hate I see on this forum is not Aggies being true to each other as Aggies can be. This is Ol' Army getting miffed that a handful of New Army folks screwed up and not being understanding of the situation. Also, the explicit sexual commentary about the girls in the photos are not at all appropriate. One of the core values of Texas A&M is respect. Yeah, these students disrespected the Bonfire Memorial BUT we don't live an eye-for-an-eye culture anymore. Show some decency, folks.
AggieChemE09
destryb123
In their defense, they're just ignorant freshman. I know I didn't know the first thing about Bonfire or the Stack Collapse until the first week of FOW. Once they learn what it means, I have no doubt they'll understand how disrespectful taking those kinds of pictures was. Ignorance is no excuses, but definitive respect lays within the mind of the acting party.
pmoney10
AG
Lots of rookies posting... This is very interesting.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
quote:
In their defense, they're just ignorant freshman

They wouldn't be freshmen anymore. They'd be upcoming sophomores. They've been at A&M for a full year. They should know what that Memorial means. And not all counselors are upcoming sophomores. I'm sure some are about to be juniors even. At least one person should have said something about it. I'm sorry, but this is not a valid excuse.

[This message has been edited by SECivil Ag-11 (edited 6/27/2013 2:55p).]
inebriated_duck
Sentinel
AG
quote:
In their defense, they're just ignorant freshman. I know I didn't know the first thing about Bonfire or the Stack Collapse until the first week of FOW. Once they learn what it means, I have no doubt they'll understand how disrespectful taking those kinds of pictures was. Ignorance is no excuses, but definitive respect lays within the mind of the acting party.

Wrong. The Co-Chairs aren't freshmen. They should know better.
Original Toad Boy
That guy in that last pic looks like a major ******.
DuckHunter203
AG
quote:
This is kind of ridiculous no matter which way we cut it. Memorials mean a great deal to me, regardless of what they stand for, because I've lost people to wars and tragedies. Using Bonfire Memorial as a backdrop for humor is disrespectful to the losses that the memorial represents. There are so many different places across campus that can be used as an appropriate, respectful place to take pictures. That being said, I know one of the people pictured. We spent a great deal of time together over the past semester. He's a really stand-up redass guy. Like it's been iterated so many times already, there was probably NO thought behind the placement of these pictures. That being said, we need to back the **** off just a little bit. Yes, my classmates made a mistake. But the hate I see on this forum is not Aggies being true to each other as Aggies can be. This is Ol' Army getting miffed that a handful of New Army folks screwed up and not being understanding of the situation. Also, the explicit sexual commentary about the girls in the photos are not at all appropriate. One of the core values of Texas A&M is respect. Yeah, these students disrespected the Bonfire Memorial BUT we don't live an eye-for-an-eye culture anymore. Show some decency, folks.

Blue star for you, sir. When did Aggies start bashing other Aggies? Aren't we supposed to be family? That's what draws so many people here. Family doesn't destroy each other, we correct them for their mistakes, and make sure they don't slip up again.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
There's no excuse for disrespecting a memorial. A 9 year old child would know how to act after reading the plaques.

You don't even need to be an Aggie - I've been to the memorial with UT-Austin grads who knew how to act there.

These kids are just plain trashy.
Wes97
AG
Right. Until there are some apologies made these people deserver no respect. This wasn't somebody dinging your car in a parking lot or accidentally breaking your phone.

This is insulting a memorial to Aggies that died a few feet from where they are standing to make those ludicrous pictures. Amazingly bad form. Totally unacceptable , I don't care how "red ass" you think your friend is the rest of the time.

[This message has been edited by Wes97 (edited 6/27/2013 3:00p).]
Sau_m_auff
AG
I have no words as I sit here in tears...My daughter class of 14 is incredibly upset and sitting in the back office of her job in tears as well. We can tell that one of the portals used for these tasteless photos belongs to a family member. A young man we watched grow up. A young man that lost his life showing his love and dedication for his school. We spent many hours praying and waiting by the phone and refreshing the internet site to to see he would be found alive. These students need to be held accountable. Leadership positions of any kind should be revoked. In addition, I propose that they meet face to face with family members who lost a loved one in the bonfire collapse.
postman56
AG
I'm sure this was obviously not meant to offend anybody but I do agree this was bad taste.
I'm sure they're great Aggies but maybe don't have the same appreciation for the word "memorial" as others.
No real harm or foul just not a great idea.
chipotle
quote:
Also, the explicit sexual commentary about the girls in the photos are not at all appropriate.

Wah Pow! Going on the offensive.
TexAg_Will
AG
Everyone involved in a student organization should know better. A seriously big lapse in judgement.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Simply not using their heads when they did this. Poor choice, and I hope they learn from it.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
quote:

So at least one person in the photos has posted in this thread. Any others?
KSigAg12
AG
So Fish Camp approved this as a good idea?

Ok, Fish Camp does a lot of good for incoming freshman BUT many of them get way to cliquey about just being Fish campers and not just being Aggies. It is fine that you are involved with an organization and those are the people you hang out with. I can relate to that. But these guys take it way too far, and I've always been unnerved by it. But that in many ways is beside the point.

This though... this is disgusting. I was a young kid growing up in an Aggie family, visited the candlelight vigil for the bonfire, prayed by the the stack, and experienced the tu game that weekend. I cried when I found out what happened. I was 9, and I understood it then and I understand now what it means to us. Disrespecting bonfire or the bonfire collapse is a HUGE no no. I hope they don't get their Aggie rings. I seriously don't. They obviously don't appreciate this university the way they should and don't deserve to get jack squat in return.

I am livid.

[This message has been edited by KSigAg12 (edited 6/27/2013 3:00p).]
t_J_e_C_x
AG
quote:
I'm sure this was obviously not meant to offend anybody but I do agree this was bad taste.
I'm sure they're great Aggies but maybe don't have the same appreciation for the word "memorial" as others.

This. We've all made mistakes and, yes this is stupid, but let's not go crucifying these people. They'll pay for their actions, no need to make it worse on them already.

Still this is in bad taste and I agree with everyone this is insensitive, but I highly doubt this was intentional.
George08
bkcoody12
@pmoney10, no I am class of '12, actually.
redd38
AG
quote:
They'll pay for their actions

will they?
wee_ag
AG
Fish-N-Chips

Still waiting for a link/confirmation that this is Fish Camp.
AggieEE
AG
quote:
smcguire61

quote:
That being said, I know one of the people pictured. We spent a great deal of time together over the past semester. He's a really stand-up redass guy.

Gonna call BS on the stand-up redass guy part. Just because you spent a lot of time together doesn't mean you didn't spend your time with an idiot.

quote:
But the hate I see on this forum is not Aggies being true to each other as Aggies can be.

Aggies are true to other Aggies, including fallen ones.

quote:
Also, the explicit sexual commentary about the girls in the photos are not at all appropriate. One of the core values of Texas A&M is respect.

Oh we respect them alright. As much as they respect themselves. And as much as they respect the 12 we lost. I vote totally appropriate. Posing in sexually suggestive pictures invites sexually suggestive responses.
jml2012
AG
Bad Bull
FightingAggie
AG
quote:

quote:
I have no words as I sit here in tears...My daughter class of 14 is incredibly upset and sitting in the back office of her job in tears as well.

Those who were impacted by the tragedy, i can guarantee you, are feeling a good bit of harm right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.