Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Fish Camp Disgraces Bonfire Memorial!!!

283,242 Views | 1007 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by mAgnoliAg
KSigAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Taking stupid pictures at a memorial while standing on the images of dead Aggies is going off the deep end.
Sentinel
AG
quote:
Did any of you stop to think this isn't a Fish Camp as a whole thing? This was one camp's poor choice. The other 39 are not to blame. No, it wasn't a respectful choice to take pictures at such a solemn memorial but there is no reason to blame all of Fish Camp. If we're going to say Fish Camp is a horrible organization because of a handful of people's poor decision, we might as well judge A&M as a university based on Johnny Manziel's actions since he's such a huge face for the university should we not? Don't judge the whole organization based on one camp. It is still a great organization and a fantastic way for freshmen to be welcomed into the Aggie family. One poor choice shouldn't change that.

You know how I know you're in Fish Camp?
buildingchampions
AG
quote:

I have no words as I sit here in tears...My daughter class of 14 is incredibly upset and sitting in the back office of her job in tears as well. We can tell that one of the portals used for these tasteless photos belongs to a family member. A young man we watched grow up. A young man that lost his life showing his love and dedication for his school. We spent many hours praying and waiting by the phone and refreshing the internet site to to see he would be found alive. These students need to be held accountable. Leadership positions of any kind should be revoked. In addition, I propose that they meet face to face with family members who lost a loved one in the bonfire collapse.
Sandman98
AG
quote:
. If we're going to say Fish Camp is a horrible organization because of a handful of people's poor decision, we might as well judge A&M as a university based on Johnny Manziel's actions since he's such a huge face for the university should we not?

It seems you're new here.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
quote:
Taking away rings? Something they worked and paid for over the course of years because they took a non-nude photo?

I agree it was inappropriate, in poor taste, and disrespectful but they will get punished accordingly. Taking away rings is going off the deep end.
The Collective
AG
I don't think they should be disallowed rings or anything of that nature, but I would certainly be ok with Loftin / university leadership personally making their lives uncomfortable, whether that be sitting out fish camp or meeting some of those impacted that day. This is just a reminder of how easy it is to forget and not fully understand something - even if it's hitting you in the f'ing face.
KSigAg12
AG
Not saying Fish Camp as a whole, but many of them have lost sight of things. And these kids definitely have. And yeah, if that were my organization, I'd say the same things I'm saying now.
redd38
AG
quote:
Don't judge the whole organization based on one camp

My judgment of Fish Camp came way before this incident. It's not like this is a single mark on an otherwise outstanding record. This is just more evidence of lack of institutional control.
GigemNick
AG
quote:
Did any of you stop to think this isn't a Fish Camp as a whole thing? This was one camp's poor choice. The other 39 are not to blame. No, it wasn't a respectful choice to take pictures at such a solemn memorial but there is no reason to blame all of Fish Camp. If we're going to say Fish Camp is a horrible organization because of a handful of people's poor decision, we might as well judge A&M as a university based on Johnny Manziel's actions since he's such a huge face for the university should we not? Don't judge the whole organization based on one camp. It is still a great organization and a fantastic way for freshmen to be welcomed into the Aggie family. One poor choice shouldn't change that.

Whether you want to think it or not, those fish camp leaders are representative of fish camp as a whole.
liveandlearn
Yes it was incredibly tasteless of this camp but it is not the organization's fault.
annie88
AG
Loftin and office are aware of it and will handle.
Mr. Lahey
AG
quote:
My judgment of Fish Camp came way before this incident. It's not like this is a single mark on an otherwise outstanding record.

[This message has been edited by OEagg11 (edited 6/27/2013 3:20p).]
buildingchampions
AG
quote:
Taking away rings? Something they worked and paid for over the course of years because they took a non-nude photo?

Why is this relevant?
SECivil Ag-11
AG
quote:
Loftin and office are aware of it and will handle.

Confirmation?
chipotle
Nude photos don't deserve rings
sawthemoffxx
Hopefully Loftin sends them back to the big 12. Fish camp just isnt SEC material.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Yes it was incredibly tasteless of this camp but it is not the organization's fault.

PR lesson #1... when people in your group **** up, don't run to single them out and defend your group. You aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt right now.
DustysLineup
AG
quote:
Don't judge the whole organization based on one camp

Popular perception is that Fish Camp hasn't really been about the fish in a long time, and now, it appears, it isn't really about being an Aggie. So what is the point? Just join a Fraternity or Sorority.

Unfair perception? Well, do something about it to change the image of the organization for the better.
LawAg05
AG
quote:
Taking stupid pictures at a memorial while standing on the images of dead Aggies is going off the deep end.

Whynot expel them from school?

If someone has done something bad enough to warrant revocation of their ring, then surely this was also bad enough to warrant expulsion, right?
BCO07
AG
quote:

there is a clear lack of leadership and organizational control. this is just another reason that fish camp needs a total overhaul.

this isnt just an issue of one camp. this is an issue of culture and leadership
DustysLineup
AG
quote:
Whynot expel them from school?

If someone has done something bad enough to warrant revocation of their ring, then surely this was also bad enough to warrant expulsion, right?

Nice reductio.

The individuals involved should be removed from their leadership positions and take part in an education program. It's not about being "red ass," it's about being reasonably mature.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Was a counselor at two camps and this has me ticked.

And this isn't like it was an "oops, brain fart" moment. They were there for a while posing on a spot where many Aggies died and are remembered for their lives. You would have thought someone would have spoken up and said "You know, this might not be the best idea." And the CTs involved get twice the blame; ignorance is no excuse there.
KSigAg12
AG
The ring is a symbol of much more than academic achievement.It would almost make as much sense to me as to just bar them from that, or at least until they've proven they've changed their tune due to extensive punishment and perhaps a reeducation program as suggested.

My point is, this deserves an extra special punishment. Again, they'll get their rings. But absolutely will not deserve them.

[This message has been edited by KSigAg12 (edited 6/27/2013 3:30p).]

[This message has been edited by KSigAg12 (edited 6/27/2013 3:31p).]
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
And removal should be bare minimum. If you don't know enough about A&M to respect the Bonfire Memorial, I sure as heck don't want you instilling any of your attitude or knowledge on A&M to the next generation of Aggies.
Pignorant
AG
CLB2008
AG
quote:
If you don't know enough about A&M to respect the Bonfire Memorial, I sure as heck don't want you instilling any of your attitude or knowledge on A&M to the next generation of Aggies.

Mr Nice Guy
AG
Confirmed that it was a Fish Camp. That doesn't mean it was all of FC.

An apology letter to the families seems like a fair reaction to this lapse in judgment.
Guitarsoup
AG
I'm looking forward to the half-assed hollow apology from all these idiots.
Jeffersons Ghost
I can confirm this is a fish camp. Was holding out hoping it was... well I don't know what it could have been.
BCO07
AG
email addresses of advisers

ahowell@stuact.tamu.edu

jprice@stuact.tamu.edu
LawAg05
AG
quote:
My point is, this deserves an extra special punishment. Again, they'll get their rings. But absolutely will not deserve them.

I take it you don't believe expulsion is warranted... Regardless, they will be given "extra special punishment" if the reactions on this thread are any indication. My point, is simply that there doesn't appear to be any malice in their actions. If we are going to talk about making decisions which will greatly affect the rest of their lives such as expulsion or revocation of the symbol everyone identifies with being an aggie, then the fact that no one was injured and there was no apparent malice involved should at least be weighed against the stupidity of the decision.

That being said, they will in all likelihood be punished severely, especially the CT.
FightingAggie
AG
Confirmation that this was an Fish Camp group...anybody want to tell me that this is not on the grounds of Bonfire Memorial?

Pierce County Ag
AG
quote:
He's a really stand-up redass guy.

That's where you and I will have to disagree...
Chicken4life
-_- smh
Sex Panther
AG
Looks like a Mormon Harlem Shake video.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.