Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Fish Camp Disgraces Bonfire Memorial!!!

283,213 Views | 1007 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by mAgnoliAg
mcag83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
this thread needs to be locked...for the sake of all involved.

Bunk isn't speaking bunk....lock it
bam02
AG
Embarrassment.
AB2
AG
Incorrect aggiegirl. This wasn't an honest mistake. This was heinous and unacceptable for someone charged with telling the Aggie story.

They can enjoy their Aggie ring, same as me, but don't pretend to be part of my "Aggie Family" if you do crap like that. We'll just stay distant cousins and leave it at that.
pinche gringo
AG
Guys, I've been monitoring this thread for the last 6 hours or so trying to figure out my thoughts on all of this. I'm a former yellow pot and I was there that night. I will never forget how it felt calling my parents to tell them I was alive and ok. Going through that hell was truly life-changing (I don't use that term lightly) for many of us. I mean, it literally forced me to look deeply at who I was, what I was doing with my life, what was really important, and what I'm going to do with the opportunities that I still have. I spent hours upon hours thinking about and praying for my friends that were killed and injured and for their families, thanking God more of us didn't suffer a similar fate, and thinking about the complex chain of events (some of which I was not happy about at the time they happened) that kept me out of harm's way. I've never been in the military but I've got some friends that have, and I've heard similar things from soldiers who have been in some really brutal combat situations. I don't like using the term "getting over it" in this case because there are scars deep inside me that will probably never totally heal, but I've moved on with life and, although it had such a deep and lasting impact on me I rarely think about that night and the following aftermath anymore.

And then I take a look at TexAgs and see this. I am rarely caught at a loss for words, but I STILL don't know what to say. I wouldn't put it past some punk from tu or tech to pose for those pictures, but my fellow Ags? This just doesn't compute. This is probably the most un-Aggie thing i've ever seen, outside of blatant criminal activity. I guess what is so troubling about it is that none of these students even stopped to question the appropriateness of taking these types of pictures on a memorial, much less, a memorial to fallen Aggies that were only a little older than themselves! I'm no doctor, but that tells me there is something badly maligned in their psyche.

Everyone involved needs to be held accountable. I don't know about punishment or what would even be appropriate, but they definitely need to be removed from any position(s) of leadership immediately. These students are in college to learn, and I really hope that someone takes the time to teach them why this was so inappropriate, since their parents apparently failed to.

Speaking of, I could not imagine being a parent, especially an Aggie parent, and seeing this from my kid.

Sorry for the long post.
OrygunAg
AG
Ridiculous. Glad someone is doing something about it.
Sentinel
AG
You can't fix stupid.
agproducer
AG
spadilly-

yep, it had to be done. not all ags read texags, so others needed to be plugged in. you are also getting some outrage from non-Ags. acting like that on a memorial is a big deal. it's just so crazy that with our school so steeped in tradition and with so many memorials, that fish camp counselors thought this was ok.
SACR
AG
Expelling them is going too far. Removing them from their current position as student leaders is appropriate, though.
AgBQ-00
AG
Here is the thing Aggiegirl, It is specifically their and your job to understand what it is to be an Aggie and to respect our history and traditions. They failed. Time to find people who can do the job.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Aggie girl, if all you see is mild disrespect, then you missed the point. It goes so far beyond disrespect that words almost do not exist to describe that Aggies could desecrate
something that anyone who had any connection to this event considers HALLOWED, sacred, holy?

That is why I wonder at the training the organization provides. Shouldn't leaders of this group KNOW that this spot is just that--hallowed and sacred.

Posing in sexual poses is not really respectful anywhere on campus, but posing like that in such a spot is not some mild "disrespect" and they are "sorry" issue.

FriscoKid
AG
quote:
It would be false to say that there isn't anything wrong with these photos. But there is also something wrong with the response of our fellow Aggies. Being a Fish Camp counselor, I do believe this was a mistake and should have not been done because it is disrespectful. Yet, considering the people in this photo are fellow Aggies, myself and many other members of Fish Camp apologize on their behalf and understand that their behavior was not to create potential harm. It wasn't thought through, it was disrespectful, yet we still will not down grade our fellow Aggies for something that they understand was a mistake. Action should be taken, but is it right to talk down to the organization as a whole? Mistakes are made by everyone, some worse than others, but as Aggies we have learned respect and have learned to uphold our values. We call ourselves a family, yet if you scroll through some of the comments on this page it is horrid to read some of the things people have to say. If you want others to uphold their values, then you should definitely uphold your own.

I believe this is legit...

Posting here will not help you. Just say that you are sorry and walk away. Do not pass GO and do not say "i'm sorry but..."

Bonfire is something that you will not ever understand like those of us that were a part of it.
TXAggieMom11
I am not an Aggie, just an Aggie mom that loves Texas A&M as much as my Aggie does. I have been to the memorial several times over the course of my sons time in Aggieland, I cried every time. It is a reverent place and I could not imagine taking pictures there or even wanting to.

With that said, my Aggie was only 10 in 1999 but I remember that day so well. A few weeks later I found out that one of the 12 had been in charge of the pool area at a scout camp my son attended. I then a few years later found I was working with that young mans father. He was very upset when he heard my son was planning on going to A&M. To put it mildly, he tried to talk me out of allowing my son to go to A&M. This man HATES Texas A&M and everyone that has ever attended the school or thinks about attending. He blames A&M for the loss of his son. I have always hoped he would soften and realize his son died doing something he loved and was driven to do because of his love for A&M. I fear that these pictures will harden his heart even more towards Texas A&M.

An apology is the least these FC people should do. I mean that as the bare minimum too.

Editing to add that a memorial is supposed to help people heal. The acts of these students just ripped big holes in the hearts of a lot of people.

[This message has been edited by TXAggieMom11 (edited 6/27/2013 11:22p).]
YellowPot_97
AG
WTF

I don't even know what to say. That was the worst night of my life. I've never been able to step foot inside the memorial, too emotional. Now these "people" are using the memorial as a prop?!?!?!? Everyone involved with this needs to be publicly shamed and humiliated.

disgusting filth
E
AG
I'm just glad she used the proper "through"
always gig em
AG
new army sucks. how any person could think this was a good idea is pathetic.

ITS A FREAKIN MEMORIAL YOU DIP****S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

low class, low class.

Pierce County Ag
AG
quote:
Speaking of, I could not imagine being a parent, especially an Aggie parent, and seeing this from my kid.

Yeah...like your daughter with her ass hanging out of her jorts, telling everybody on Twitter to get a life because they're insulted at the pics... I posted earlier that they shouldn't be expelled. Maybe there's one or two exceptions...

[This message has been edited by Pierce County Ag (edited 6/27/2013 11:15p).]
WaffleHouseAg
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
It would be false to say that there isn't anything wrong with these photos. But there is also something wrong with the response of our fellow Aggies. Being a Fish Camp counselor, I do believe this was a mistake and should have not been done because it is disrespectful. Yet, considering the people in this photo are fellow Aggies, myself and many other members of Fish Camp apologize on their behalf and understand that their behavior was not to create potential harm. It wasn't thought through, it was disrespectful, yet we still will not down grade our fellow Aggies for something that they understand was a mistake. Action should be taken, but is it right to talk down to the organization as a whole? Mistakes are made by everyone, some worse than others, but as Aggies we have learned respect and have learned to uphold our values. We call ourselves a family, yet if you scroll through some of the comments on this page it is horrid to read some of the things people have to say. If you want others to uphold their values, then you should definitely uphold your own.

So which one of those students are you?

These aren't true aggies and they certainly haven't earned any grace from us.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 6/27/2013 11:19p).]
Brick Tamland
Harry, fwiw I stopped posting anything about old main and even said when my last post would be. I stepped away from doing that because I realized that as much as our opinions differ, OM and I are both diehard Ags and I respect that. I'll even start a thread about it if that will make you feel better about that.
Ag13
AG
Just to clear something up ... The Jorts girl is not the twitter girl

With that said, the twitter post and the pictures are both still dumb. Just separate people.
DogCompany74
AG
I can not understand what level of human consciousness would any person over the age of six think that these poses were appropriate. Being an Aggie should mean more than standing during a football game and dunking a ring. There is something seriously wrong with a system that would put children like these in positions of leadership and training new fish.

Who will stand up and say this can not be the way our traditions will be treated?
74Ag1
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah...like your daughter with her ass hanging out of her jorts, telling everybody on Twitter to get a life because they're insulted at the pics... I posted earlier that they shouldn't be expelled. Maybe there's one or two exceptions...

[This message has been edited by Pierce County Ag (edited 6/27/2013 11:15p).]

Expell all of em. We don't need em. Let em go to tu, that's the way they would act!

[This message has been edited by 74ag1 (edited 6/27/2013 11:26p).]

[This message has been edited by 74ag1 (edited 6/27/2013 11:27p).]
BradC34
AG
quote:
But there is also something wrong with the response of our fellow Aggies.

Funny... Anytime somebody does something really stupid and TexAgs, Facebook, and/or Twitter calls them on it, the party in question always resorts to the that's-not-how-you-treat-other-Aggies defense.
ThunderFighter06
AG
At this point I'm really not bringing anything new but here are my two cents. One of my biggest regrets from my time at A&M was that I did not get to experience Bonfire the way it was intended. To me it will always be something sacred and mysterious. This group of FC counselors doesn't get it. Yes I was an FC counselor and crew member and both times there were selectees who could not become counselors for various reasons (grades, jobs, etc). I know they would've given anything to have made a positive impact on the incoming fish. The FC counselors in those pictures should be ashamed of themselves because of their mockery of the memorial. If I were in charge I'd have them all replaced because they are not the people that the incoming fish need to be exposed to.
BillOnCapitolHill
Fish Aides
fredfredunderscorefred
It's a memorial! What warped mind thinks its a good idea to take "cute/funny" pictures at a memorial. Any memorial. Sure it's not a gravesite, but isn't desecrating a grave a crime? For a valid reason. And this isn't a building that some could forget/simply not know is a memorial. This is a site with the purpose of being a memorial. Disgusting.

Then to do it at THIS memorial. As an Ag? Terrible. I can at least fathom an understanding of some of the followers in the group not saying something even if they knew better (not that I agree) but to the people that coordinated this---worst punishments possible. And anyone continuing to associate with someone with that type of psyche needs to seriously consider that association. IT'S A MEMORIAL! Not a gottdamn photo booth from the wedding you went to last weekend.

The parents of those should be really embarrassed at the failure to raise someone with more sense. Again--the warped mentality to think its a good idea almost requires the "forgive them they know not what they do". And this alyssamccain chick---how has TexAgs let her go without more ridicule?

for full disclosure, class of '01. Bonfire was greatest tradition I've ever been a part of. Was there. etc. Words I write can't drive the point home more than what posters above have written, but this being a bonfire memorial makes this a lot more personal and meaningful than just any memorial

To family members---hopefully you're able to find some comfort in seeing that most Ags have and want to preserve the utmost respect for your loved ones. To Agmedic...thank you

No it's not just "pictures". Show some freakin respect.
Sentinel
AG
quote:
Fish Aides

Not relevant....
Keegan99
AG
AgMedic02 won the thread.

quote:

If they want to be leaders, they need to learn how to publicly apologize for themselves for a major screwup like this.

Not remain relatively anonymous and have proxies issue apologies.

The Aggie Family will be a LOT more forgiving once those responsible step up and own it in a heartfelt way.
mAgnoliAg
AG
quote:
new army sucks. how any person could think this was a good idea is pathetic.

ITS A FREAKIN MEMORIAL YOU DIP****S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

low class, low class.

Don't include me among others in this action *******. Would you rather me go to a different school because new army is so bad. Some of us in this age group were Ags from birth and you are saying we suck

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.