Guardians of the Galaxy discussion

66,839 Views | 544 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Surprisingly, John Carter didn't lose money. $284M against its $250M budget.
techno-ag
AG
John Carter could have been better. Loved the books as a kid.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
John Carter did bad because no one could understand what it was about from the trailer. Go read the thread on here about it. there might have been 1 person that didn't like it. It could have been better but it was still good. Disney Marketing ruined it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I thought it was a good movie.
The Debt
quote:
John Carter did bad because no one could understand what it was about from the trailer. Go read the thread on here about it. there might have been 1 person that didn't like it. It could have been better but it was still good. Disney Marketing ruined it.

From what I understood, following the events of Friday Night Lights runningback Tim Riggins goes through a traumatic experience, like a parent dying, and he gets wisked away to Mars where he fights aliens from the I-formation. Is that close?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Another guy that enjoyed John Carter.
Sex Panther
AG
John Carter was awful. Not even McNulty could save it.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Guardians, for me, was easily the best Marvel comics movie so far. Most of the others (besides avengers and iron man 1) kind of just blend together into decent action movies that I don't remember too well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
techno-ag
AG
Maybe John Carter should be made into a comic / graphic novel first, then they'd make it into a good movie.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
My Marvel List (not that anyone cares)

1) GOTG
2) The Avengers
3) Captain America 2 (really loved it)
4) Ironman
5) Captain America
6) Thor
7) Ironman 2
8) Thor 2
9) Ironman 3
10) H.R. Hulknstuff
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
My Marvel List (not that anyone cares)

1) GOTG
2) The Avengers
3) Captain America 2 (really loved it)
4) Ironman
5) Captain America
6) Thor
7) Ironman 2
8) Thor 2
9) Ironman 3
10) H.R. Hulknstuff

No Spider-Man??
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
No Spider-Man??

Spider Man isn't Marvel studios. He's talking about the official MCU films.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Spider-Man would rank below all of those; I hated Spider-Man other than Jonah J. Jameson.
fig96
AG
I need to see Winter Soldier again, but it may be #1 for me. GOTG is a close second though.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
John Carter did bad because no one could understand what it was about from the trailer.

Not to get too off-topic, but I read a recent theory lately that actually made a lot of sense about the marketing of John Carter. Basically, some expert was weighing in on Twitter (this whole thing was being retweeted, so I can't remember who it was, exactly) saying that Disney president Bob Iger may have actually tanked the marketing on purpose.

John Carter came out right around the time Disney was about to either start negotiating with - or in the middle of negotiations with - Lucas for the Star Wars rights. And it's possible Iger didn't want there to be any perceived distractions that could lead to Lucas getting cold feet. In other words, Iger didn't want Lucas to think they'd also be devoting attention to this other huge sci-fi space franchise as well, especially one that helped serve as Lucas' original inspiration. So Iger put forth the minimal effort necessary to promote John Carter, let it bomb, thereby assuring Lucas that Star Wars would be an absolute obsession for Disney. Nothing similar would get in its way.

Who knows if it's true, but the effort put forth by Disney to make that movie - and then to just sweep it under the rug almost immediately upon release, right around the time of negotiations with Lucas - sure does seem to check out. Especially given the fact that studios almost always try to salvage would-be franchises if they don't perform as well as expected initially, especially if there's any kind of overseas audience whatsoever (like sequels being greenlit for Pacific Rim and Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, despite both movies under-performing). You'd think, without having Star Wars as its aim, Disney would have tried a lot harder to not only market John Carter better, but get the franchise on the right track with a sequel.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/20/2014 12:36a).]
wangus12
AG
I enjoyed John Carter.
jeffk
AG
A Hansel & Gretel series?
ElephantRider
AG
I thought I was going to hate John Carter from the marketing, but actually really enjoyed it
swimmerbabe11
Jeremy Renner probably couldn't do a Hansel/Gretel series for a few years could he?

Wouldn't they be better served concentrating on Hawkeye if they want to keep him employed?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Jeremy Renner probably couldn't do a Hansel/Gretel series for a few years could he?

Wouldn't they be better served concentrating on Hawkeye if they want to keep him employed?

Movie cost 50 to make, made 55... BUT did an extra 175 overseas. Foreign audiences are a big reason that some of this garbage is viable.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
shoulda let Owen Wilson play Hansel.
Sex Panther
AG
Foreigners are stupid
TCTTS
AG
quote:

Disney didn't make Hansel & Gretel. It was Paramount.
swimmerbabe11
Gotcha.

Suddenly I'm really embarrassed to admit that I enjoyed Hansel & Gretel. I watched it at home on Netflix, but it was good with some popcorn, cocoa, and cuddly dogs on a rainy night. Not a theatre flick, but entertaining enough.
Ganondorf
AG
I liked it too. Watched it on Netflix and didn't think it was horrible but it wasn't an award winner either.
israeliag
AG
quote:
shoulda let Owen Wilson play Hansel.

512Ag
AG
swimmerbabe11
Poor Groot.

I feel terrible for laughing at that!
el aggie
AG
Dancing Groot Toy
Ganondorf
AG
I hate the big head toy phenomenon.
R0GUE
AG
The worst part is it doesn't actually dance. I want a battery operated one that dances. If Billy the Big a Mouth Bass can dance, surely they can make a dancing Groot.
toucan82
^^
church
CGSC Lobotomy
quote:
I hated Spider-Man other than Jonah J. Jameson.

I don't think anyone but J.K. Simmons can play that role. In fact, he VOICES it in pretty much every form of media now.
AliasMan02
AG
Guardians will cross $300 million this weekend.

It's also been #1 for 27 of its 39 days in the theater.
The Debt
quote:
The worst part is it doesn't actually dance. I want a battery operated one that dances. If Billy the Big a Mouth Bass can dance, surely they can make a dancing Groot.

We were able to get dancing beer cans in the early 90s. I think they should be able to make a mini groot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.