Guardians of the Galaxy discussion

66,841 Views | 544 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TCTTS
Karrde
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That was pretty awesome.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Nice. And the hysterical laugh sounded like Vizzini from The Princess Bride right before he dies.
Sex Panther
AG
I wonder how much Vin Diesel is going to get paid for saying "I am Groot" over and over.
jeffk
AG
More than I've ever made in my life.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Some early twitter reviews:

quote:
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is a blast. A crazy fun space opera that makes you care about a walking tree.

quote:
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY opens up the Marvel universe in a great way. Movie is awesome & extremely funny. Congrats @JamesGunn. You did it.

quote:
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is another big win for Marvel! Every single character steals every scene.

quote:
Guardians of the Galaxy is incredible. INCREDIBLE. OH GOD.

quote:
I really liked GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. The characters work so well together. Gunn nails space opera.

More:

AliasMan02
AG
So pumped.
MrPlow2010
AG
A lot of people are wondering if this movie will be another hit for Marvel or not but I have no doubt this is going to good. Chris Pratt is awesome and I'm ready for him to be the star in more movies.
TajMaballer
AG
Friday can't get here soon enough! I don't know if anybody listens to the "This Week In Marvel" podcast, but they talked about the crowd reaction to a special 17 minute clip. The crowd ate it up apparently. Rocket Racoon was the stand out for the clip.

They do talk talk about spoilers for comics. So if you want to avoid those then steer clear!

[This message has been edited by TajMaballer (edited 7/19/2014 2:38a).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Friday can't get here soon enough!

Just FYI, it's TWO weeks away.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
Just FYI, it's TWO weeks away.

Damn my bad. I think I am so excited, I just wanted to skip this week and go to next! Thanks though
TCTTS
AG
Consolidated most of the recent character posters, links to TV spots, a featurette, both clips, and additional reactions (and links to more) from last night in a post at my blog, if anyone's interested...

Guardians of the Galaxy Hype Machine in Fell Effect
jlb2957
AG
I'm just loving the feeling i'm getting from these trailers. Whoever is responsible for these trailers was not paid enough and needs to be hired by everyone for trailers, they are just too good.

I will be there opening weekend to watch this and I don't think there is another movie this year I want to be great as much as this one.
TCTTS
AG
Looks like I'm actually going to be in College Station for a wedding opening weekend. I've been to the Cinemark a gazillion times since it opened, but I've never been to Premiere Cinema. Which is my best bet for Guardians? The relatively "new"/bigger theater toward the back of Cinemark is decent, but it looks like Premiere has an IMAX? Is is legit IMAX, or LieMax? Either way, I assume it's bigger/better than the big theater at Cinemark?

Any 3D preference between the two theaters? I saw the trailer in 3D the other day and it was some of the best 3D I've ever seen. A lot of those Twitter reactions mention the 3D being pretty amazing as well.
AliasMan02
AG
Thanks for the 3D note. I usually skip the 3D unless it's getting huge buzz, so looks like I'll be in for this.
TCTTS
AG
Same here. I hate 3D, but saw Transformers in LieMAX 3D for whatever reason, and the Guardians trailer played in 3D beforehand. I was seriously shocked how good the 3D looked. One of the only times it felt like it actually added to the experience.
AliasMan02
AG
Looking into my Thursday night opening tickets at the super-deluxe theater right now.
wangus12
AG
Anybody see the sneak preview on the tele last night. It was at 930pm during a showing of Fast Five. Basically had the full jail processing scene. This movie is gonna be a lot of fun.
Buck Compton
AG
TCTTS, I am going to be in College Station as well that weekend, so looking forward to hearing any responses you get. Really want to go see this that night.

Just came here to post that, wangus. Great extended preview of that scene was on USA last night. On my phone so couldn't find the video of it, but I'm sure it's out there.
Aggie94
AG
TCTTS -

I live in CS and I've been to the IMAX once - I think it was for Thor 2. I can't speak to the "LieMax" question - not enough experience with IMAX overall - but it's definitely the biggest screen B/CS has. I have no complaints about it. I have had issues with Premiere on other occasions b/c of sound issues and dirty screens.

I dislike 3D, though I tend to go to the midnight showings of the Marvel movies and thus can't often avoid them.
TCTTS
AG
Nice. Good to hear. If I have the time, I'll probably go with the Premiere IMAX. Have always wanted to check out that theater, anyway.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Saw "Riddick" and "Gravity" at the Premiere IMAX. I will agree that it is a very nice screen. "Gravity" should be showing there in a constant rotation because it was made for that type of experience.

Both of those were obviously in 3D, which I try to avoid. If I want a great experience that is non-3D, I prefer the XD screen at Cinemark. Somehow I doubt that the XD screen will have a 2D showing of "Guardians", though.
Saxsoon
AG
I would choose cinemark over premier every time
TCTTS
AG
Ha, you guys are making the choice so tough!
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I only go to Premiere. The Cinemark theater has really uncomfortable seats and I don't like their concessions, so it's really pretty much personal preference. Everything else I think is a wash, with the exception that Premiere has the IMAX.
TCTTS
AG
Cool. For me, I think IMAX trumps everything else.
Scotty Flamingo
Surprisingly a lot of critics on twitter are saying Dave Bautista steals the show as Drax.
Sex Panther
AG
Whole cast is on Kimmel tonight.
Saxsoon
AG
Unless it is real IMAX, isn't LIEMax the exact same as your RPX, XD, etc knockoffs?

For me personally, the CineMark in College Station is still one of the better theaters I have been in. Miss it quite a bit actually though it could be nostalgia since it was that theater that I really started going to the theaters a lot.

[This message has been edited by Marsuvees (edited 7/22/2014 10:11a).]

[This message has been edited by Marsuvees (edited 7/22/2014 10:11a).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Whole cast is on Kimmel tonight.

The way Chris Pratt interacts with this little girl is amazing. He's there to be entertaining just for her. On the opposite end of the spectrum is Vin Diesel, who makes it all about himself, and hardly acknowledges the girl. As if I wasn't in his corner 100% already, Pratt seriously wins me over more and more with each interview/appearance he makes...

http://youtu.be/OnSu4bccYl8
The Debt
quote:
I only go to Premiere. The Cinemark theater has really uncomfortable seats and I don't like their concessions, so it's really pretty much personal preference. Everything else I think is a wash, with the exception that Premiere has the IMAX.

someone actually buys concessions at a theater?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I never buy food or drink at the movies. But the wife and kids have to have popcorn. Have to. And they are generally finished with it all before the previews are done.

I'll sneak in candy for the kids, though. Not buying it there.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I haven't bought food in a theater in years. I do sneak it in though.
OnlyForNow
AG
99 cent sour patch kids at Walmart etc >>>>> 3.50-4.00 sour patch kids at the theater. What a flipping rip off.
jeffk
AG
If I buy food at the theatre, it's only popcorn.
BigRobSA
Yep, I buy popcorn. And, I'll buy the bucket that gets cheaper refills throughout the year at the first movie of the year I go to. It's like $3.50 a fill up.

The prices are ridiculous, otherwise.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.