Guardians of the Galaxy discussion

66,864 Views | 544 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TCTTS
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The film hits a chord across all age groups. My whole family really enjoyed it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$41M estimated for the weekend. If it holds, that's a hair above Cap 2's second weekend and a comfortable margin over the rest (Transformers, X-Men, etc.)

Up to this point it's about neck and neck with Transformers for the highest gross of 2014.

http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=weekend&id=2014openers.htm
AliasMan02
AG
Looks to be "gaining" on T4 as far as pace goes. That's what the difference in word of mouth will get you.
Saxsoon
TCTTS
PooDoo
AG
quote:
I saw it last night with 10 people from ages 12 to 55. We all loved it. The only thing we didn't like was Howard the Duck's cameo.

Agreed x1000

Add to this I heard a Marvel exec refer to the post credit clips as "giving the audience a Yummy"... Vomit

Groot & Rocket stole the show and it was enjoyable but some of the scenes were just meh.
Seven Psycho Ags
I liked the post-credits scene. The clips don't always have to be groundbreaking or introduce a new movie. Hell, in this case the clip did more than the Avengers because it introduced a new character.
Saxsoon
AG
Loved the Howard the Duck reveal
swimmerbabe11
So much squee.

I can't wait to watch it again
AliasMan02
AG
Watched it again today. Just very fun, especially the second half of the movie. The "getting the gang together" stuff was a little rushed, but that's just how it had to be. The comedy really kept it going through that rough narrative patch.
mid90
AG
NSIAP

did anyone else have flash backs to star fox 64 when the ships linked up and formed a shield around ronin's mothership? The design of those things looked like something straight out of the game.
Saxsoon
AG
No but now I did
CoachLB
I saw it in 3D Fri. I enjoyed every minute of it. The humor is what made it for me and my wife. But the action, characters etc, it was all very well done.
swimmerbabe11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkthSq0Pjko&feature=youtu.be

I want to make these!!
ElephantRider
AG
Saw it today and thought it was great.
agenjake
I liked the nod to Missile Command where they trying to shoot down the ships before hitting the surface.
Quad Dog
AG
Except for the beginning, which hit too close to home and was a bit of a bummer, this was a perfect summer movie. It was fun, funny, had some heart, and good action.
This definitely followed the Marvel movie tropes of a MacGuffin, ending with evacuating a city, and crashing something into that city. Wonder how long they run with that formula.
quote:
did anyone else have flash backs to star fox 64 when the ships linked up and formed a shield around ronin's mothership? The design of those things looked like something straight out of the game.

Reminded me more of The Last Starfighter.
Saxsoon
AG
I thought that was a nod to that game
PooDoo
AG
Wasn't he wearing a Last Starfighter T-Shirt when he was abducted?
G Martin 87
AG
No, it was a camp t-shirt.
gigemags-99
AG
Loved this movie. The music was fantastic!
B/CS Dreaming
AG
PSA: the mom dies in the first five minutes of cancer in front of her son. Given that I have a friend fighting breast cancer as she raises two elementary-aged sons, this was a total blindside. Ruined the movie for me. That's what I get for not knowing the backstory on this Marvel series, I guess.
redd38
AG
quote:
PSA: the mom dies in the first five minutes of cancer in front of her son. Given that I have a friend fighting breast cancer as she raises two elementary-aged sons, this was a total blindside. Ruined the movie for me. That's what I get for not knowing the backstory on this Marvel series, I guess.

so I guess you didn't like Up either, since you probably know some old people too
The Debt
The movie was ruined because it connected to you. That logic gives me cancer.
G Martin 87
AG
What a bunch of a-holes.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Seriously Debt, can you be anymore of a *****?
Ambres
AG
I can see that .. I was worried about bringing my son to it at first because his mom and I almost died and he has this fear that he will be left alone (7 year old).. turned out he loved the movie.

He now seen it twice.
TresPuertas
AG
Random, but I SWORE that right when they walk into the collectors place I saw a Predator like creature in one of the displays. Did anyone else notice this????

I'm going to see this again to prove this. ( and because the movie is ****ing awesome)

[This message has been edited by Trespuertas (edited 8/15/2014 9:30a).]
wangus12
AG
The Debt
quote:
Seriously Debt, can you be anymore of a *****?

Yes I can. But I stand by my statement.

The number one separator between a good movie and a bad movie isnt budget. It is making you (the audience) care about the characters on screen. The only way you achieve this is by demonstrating that the character has an emotional connection with the audience.

Everyone was heartbroken in the opening scene with Peter, not just people who went through it. The filmmakers werent rubbing salt in your wounds, they were showing great tragedy for Peter.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I don't think B/CS was saying the opening of GotG made it a bad movie, I just think he's saying it made the movie a depressing experience for him, which is totally understandable.
benMath08
AG
quote:
Atypical empathic responses have been associated with autism spectrum disorders; particular personality disorders such as psychopathy, borderline, narcissistic, and schizoid personality disorders; conduct disorder;[77] schizophrenia; bipolar disorder;[34] and depersonalization.

Debt, might want to go see a doctor.

[This message has been edited by benMath08 (edited 8/15/2014 12:24p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
All I know is when Star Lord saw his mom at the end when he was holding the cube or whatever, I got a little misty eyed.
The Debt
quote:
quote:
Atypical empathic responses have been associated with autism spectrum disorders; particular personality disorders such as psychopathy, borderline, narcissistic, and schizoid personality disorders; conduct disorder;[77] schizophrenia; bipolar disorder;[34] and depersonalization.

Debt, might want to go see a doctor.

[This message has been edited by benMath08 (edited 8/15/2014 12:24p).]

The key word there is atypical. I am empathetic to those who lost their mothers. I am not empathetic to those who shut down because they shared an emotional tragedy with fictional character that fights aliens. THAT person needs a doctor. Clearly they haven't gotten over that tragedy.

I, for one, blame marvel for not putting counselors at the door for those that can't cope. I'm gonna sue the makers of My Girl...
Bruce Almighty
AG
There's a time and place and that's what you don't get. A poster said he had a hard time with the movie because of a personal experience with cancer and you decided to mock for it. Your post served absolutely no purpose other than to make fun of someone that is currently suffering through a friend with cancer because they had a hard time seeing it in the movie. I went through the same thing when I saw The Green Mile after my mom passed away from cancer. Does that logic give you cancer as well? Sometimes its best to keep thoughts to yourself, even on the Internet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.