Guardians of the Galaxy discussion

66,836 Views | 544 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TCTTS
Pro Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Same here Alias. I am surprised how empty it is, that said there are plenty of showings tonight at the theater I am at.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think most people think it comes out tomorrow. If it wasn't for TexAgs I'd have no idea there were showings tonight.
Pro Ag
AG
About 50 more people showed up since my previous post.

Also found out that my FIL and BIL didn't get tickets because their theater was close to sold out (smaller than DFW).
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Seems like the type that will pick up steam weeks 2 and 3 as the buzz gets out (assuming it's as good as eeryone thinks)
wangus12
AG
****ing awesome movie. Absolutely loved it. Best soundtrack ever
AliasMan02
AG
Great
Sex Panther
AG
Should we start an official movie thread? Or just continue with this one?
The Debt
quote:
Same here Alias. I am surprised how empty it is, that said there are plenty of showings tonight at the theater I am at.

Where I am it's sold out for a 945 showing. One thing I've noticed is how little ads I've seen for this compared to CA2 or thor2.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
One thing I've noticed is how little ads I've seen for this compared to CA2 or thor2.

Really? I feel like I've seen way more marketing for this than any other Marvel movies.
The Debt
The ads you see might be targeted at hopeless man-childs.
Sex Panther
AG
Oh Bill, you rascal...
Madmarttigan
AG
How many cut scenes at the end should I be aware of?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
How many cut scenes at the end should I be aware of?

Do. Not. Leave.
tallgrant
Awesome movie. That's exactly what I want when I go to the theater!
dave94
AG
I was at the Northpark 7:00 showing in Dallas also. Had such a GREAT time watching this. That's what a summer movie should be!
Ag Since 83
AG
Good summer movie
Pro Ag
AG
Quote: If what is out there is true, then that is the single greatest post credit ever

Wish I hadn't read that. It was fun but I was expecting more due to the above statements.

Very good movie, loved Peter's references (Ranger Rick, Giving Tree, etc). My wife really enjoyed it and said it exceeded her expectations. I believe that means it will do well because she doesn't care as much about comic book movies as I do.

I will warn those that might normally take your younger kids to a movie like this that you may want to screen it first (innuendo, mild language, etc). It really captured the comic vibe and I loved it, just saying the PG-13 rating wasn't just action violence like some other Marvel movies.
AliasMan02
AG
SPOILERS THREAD, ACTIVATE!

http://forums.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2503933&forum_id=13
The Devil

[This message has been edited by The Devil (edited 7/31/2014 10:39p).]
Aggie_Journalist
AG
A good comedy, but not a great space opera. More in the spoilers thread...
Scotty Flamingo
What a treat that movie was
Bruce Almighty
AG
I thought this was a very good movie. I was surprised by the retro feel of everything as it felt like this could have been released in the 1980s. It had that retro post Star Wars vide. Replace puppetry with CGI and you have a modern day take on 80s classics like Farscape (with better humor). It didn't really feel like a comic book movie but more like a Men in Black type which is refreshing with a Marvel release. I guess if I had to nitpick, there were a couple of eye rolling moments where I thought the jokes didn't work and this felt more like a parody movie at times which kept if from having that true epic feel that the great comic book films have. But this is probably my favorite Marvel cinematic universe release since the original Iron Man. I give it a solid A.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
It didn't really feel like a comic book movie but more like a Men in Black type

Men in Black was a comic book movie...
Bruce Almighty
AG
Yes
Sex Panther
AG
Just another daily reminder why Chris Pratt is awesome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTP0pE-eTKM
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
Just another daily reminder why Chris Pratt is awesome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTP0pE-eTKM

It's like we should just start another thread for him!
Sex Panther
AG
No his own forum, next to JFF and the Cleveland Browns ones.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Worth 3D and/or IMAX 3D?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Actually, doesn't matter. Options are 3D for $17, RPX for $18, and IMAX 3D for $19.

IMAX it is.
Scotty Flamingo
quote:
Worth 3D and/or IMAX 3D?

I am Groot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Friday AM Update: Could Guardians of the Galaxy open to $100 million this weekend? Based on late Thursday earnings, this is actually within the realm of possibilities.

The 10th movie from Marvel Studios earned a stunning $11.2 million from Thursday night showings beginning at 7 p.m. That's the biggest Thursday night debut so far this year ahead of Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($10.2 million). It's also way ahead of June's Transformers: Age of Extinction ($8.75 million), which is the only movie to open over $100 million this year.

If Guardians of the Galaxy follows the same pattern as either of those movies—or of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Godzilla and X-Men: Days of Future Past—it will score the biggest opening weekend of the year.
Bruce Almighty
AG
That's amazing for an August release. People usually starting suffering from summer movie fatigue.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's amazing for a comic book property that most people had not even heard of before this movie.

For comparison, opening weekends of other movies based on much more widely known source material:

Amazing Spider-Man 2: $91 million
X-Men Days of Future Past: $90 million
The Hobbit: $84 million
Fantastic Four: $56 million
Green Lantern: $53 million

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 8/1/2014 1:48p).]
Nonregdrummer09
AG
My non-spoiler feelings on the movie:

Kooch 3:16
AG
I'm blown away by this movie. So good even considering the huge amount of characters to digest. Just really, really good.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.