Guardians of the Galaxy discussion

66,862 Views | 544 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now you're just being a dick for no good reason. People lose loved ones to cancer, there's no reason to mock them for having trouble seeing it in movies, regardless of the genre.
The Debt
There is "no good reason" for someone to offer up personal struggles to a internet forum. Further, there is "no good reason" to complain about a movie because it touches intimate human scenes.

Thats like someone complaining about My Girl because a childhood friend died. Im sorry your hurting about your personal experience, but the vast majority of movie goers applaud the film. It is universally loved. Your opinion about the film is not rooted in objective assessment.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I don't think B/CS was saying the opening of GotG made it a bad movie, I just think he's saying it made the movie a depressing experience for him, which is totally understandable.

What this guy said.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
There is "no good reason" for someone to offer up personal struggles to a internet forum. Further, there is "no good reason" to complain about a movie because it touches intimate human scenes.

There's also no good reason to mock somebody that is going through a personal experience with cancer because you think differently than that person.
The Debt
To be clear, the mocking is directed at anyone who rejects the premise that films should depict events that connect to people emotionally. Perhaps Jewish film goers should have avoided Schindlers List.

Maybe films should come with a warning. "This film deals with the death of a child's mother, the death of a husband family, the death of police officers, the death of a tree, such deaths include but are not limited to explosions, gun fire, vehicle crashes, and cancer. If you or anyone you know are offended by these occurrences stay home. These plot devices are very central to the film and we are proud to explain them beforehand. "
boboguitar
AG
Anyone else's imagine of the debt as a balding middle-aged 250+ lb fat guy whose been picked on his whole life for and an anonymous Internet forum is the only way he feels superior?
The Debt
Lol. A lot of fat middle-aged people on TAs will take offense to that. Since I'm neither Idk how I'm suppose to take that.

Does my posting make me look fat?
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
To be clear, the mocking is directed at anyone who rejects the premise that films should depict events that connect to people emotionally. Perhaps Jewish film goers should have avoided Schindlers List

And where exactly was this said on the thread?
FriendlyAg
For the record, as someone who has lost loved ones to cancer, I completely agree with the debt. The whole point of the scene is so that you can see that the main character is just like you and me. We go through terrible pain, all of us, that's why we can understand and appreciate his want to be human. To remember the loved ones and the lost ones.

A good story is not all daisies and roses. You have to have friction.

My grandmother hated les miserables because there is sex, betrayal, killing, suicide, and so on. What makes that story beautiful is that the characters struggled and overcame.

I would sympathize with the debt, if you can't handle a fictional representation of something that most people go through at one point in time and MOST PEOPLE understand why it was there, then the issue is not the media, it's internal.

Just my two cents
Bruce Almighty
AG
Nobody is saying those scenes shouldn't be in movies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
^That.

I feel like there is a fundamental misunderstanding of the issue here.
Bunk Moreland
Well this thread turned into a big pile of ****.

The last 2 pages are like reading the first 2 pages of a thread on the mybcs board

[This message has been edited by Bunk moreland (edited 8/15/2014 9:41p).]
PatAg
AG
He's being kind of a d about it, but not a total d, however he isn't wrong.
AliasMan02
AG
MODS, will you please clean up this thread? Had a good thing going, here.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Just got back from seeing GOTG for the first time and found the end of this thread .... yikes.

Guess I'll tell my dog how funny I thought the Ranger Rick joke was.

The Debt - count yourself lucky that life has presented you no tragedies so far that you do not have any negative memories associated with scenes of grief, pain or suffering in works of fiction. The rest of us, lamentably, are only human.
Pro Ag
AG
Quote: Ruined the movie for me.

The original guy said it ruined the movie. While Debt was a bit crass, his point is valid. Most good movies can make you feel. If you don't want to be hit in the feelings, don't go to the movies.

[This message has been edited by Pro ag (edited 8/16/2014 3:32a).]
FL_Ag1998
AG
^Agree with this. And as far as this sentiment, and letting the opening scene "ruin the movie" for you...

quote:
count yourself lucky that life has presented you no tragedies so far that you do not have any negative memories associated with scenes of grief, pain or suffering in works of fiction. The rest of us, lamentably, are only human

look, cancer can be a touchy issue exactly because it has affected so many people. Fourteen years ago I sat on the end of a bed and watched my father breathe his last breath, then die from cancer. The opening scene and later scenes revolving around Quill's mother touched me, but didn't come close to ruining the movie for me. And I dare say, even if I watched this movie two weeks after my father died I would still feel the same.

I shed a few tears watching "The Descendants" because it was similar to how we said goodbye to my father. But that's what good movies do, they connect emotionally and that's WHY we watch them (as others have stated). The Debt may have been a little smart-ass in his posts, but the poster of the now-controversial statement was being a little dramatic with his reaction to the scene (or at least in his description of it on here).
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:

The original guy said it ruined the movie. While Debt was a bit crass, his point is valid. Most good movies can make you feel. If you don't want to be hit in the feelings, don't go to the movies.

Or how about, you accept the guys opinion and not call him out on it.

The beginning of UP is sad enough for me to not ever watch it again, but that's not keeping me from movies in general.

Honestly, sounds like most of you have not had deep personal losses yet or you wouldn't be posting bull**** like that.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 8/16/2014 7:20a).]
Phat32
AG
Wtf happened to this thread
Philip J Fry
AG
Bill being bill happened to it.
G Martin 87
AG
Back to the movie:

Post how many times you've seen it, and how many more times you think you'd have to see it in order to reach full satiation of awesomeness.

Seen it twice, and I'd like to see it two more times. That should hold me until the bluray special edition DVD comes out.
TajMaballer
AG
3 times. I've seen it in 3D IMAX, then 2D and then finally regular 3D and enjoyed the hell out of all 3 viewings! Will buy the DVD/Blu Ray to see the special features behind everything.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Post how many times you've seen it, and how many more times you think you'd have to see it in order to reach full satiation of awesomeness.

Twice...and planning to see it again this weekend.
AliasMan02
AG
Seen it twice, which is probably it for me, but it will be a "buy" for sure.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
3 times
PooDoo
AG
quote:

He said it ruined the movie for HIM. Never said it was a bad movie.

No need to blast the dude for adding his opinion to the discussion.
Saxsoon
AG
I wouldn't say the debt is being 100% a dick
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:

I'm gonna be pissed if Marvel doesn't get this released as a toy very soon.
Sea Pony 07
AG
I really want a dancing Groot.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'm not sure I believe anyone is 100% a dick.

I saw it in 3D last night, first viewing. I'm going to take my dad (who is 66) in the near future because I know he'll friggin love it.

I never thought I'd see a movie and be thinking the next day, "I'm not sure what I liked better, Bradley Cooper as the raccoon or Dave Bautista."
swimmerbabe11
quote:
I wouldn't say the debt is being 100% a dick

I really don't know that anyone is 100% a dick
swimmerbabe11
Also, I want that toy. really bad.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
I really don't know that anyone is 100% a dick

Swimmer wins!
The Debt
quote:
The Debt - count yourself lucky that life has presented you no tragedies so far that you do not have any negative memories associated with scenes of grief, pain or suffering in works of fiction.
How would you know that I live such a charmed life? Trust me, I have my set of s--t to deal with. I just choose not to be an emotional wreck when confronted with it.

This thread represents the continued pussification of a once strong, resilient people.
mattvswild
AG
Oh hey, I finally got around to seeing GotG! I managed to avoid all spoilers and info, now I want to talk about it and I know just the place to go - TexAgs!

<opens GotG thread, goes to last page>

AAAAAAAAND I'm done.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.