Guardians of the Galaxy discussion

66,759 Views | 544 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm adequately versed in most Marvel lore, but admit to knowing basically nothing about the Guardians. Reading wikis and such, I'm starting to get the sense that we may be seeing a Star-Lord movie with the Guardians as a supporting cast. He seems to be the prime Phase 3 Avengers character to take out of that franchise. This pleases me because I'm afraid that Rocket Raccoon, the Movie! may jump the shark.

So, on that note, this Guardians/Star-Lord movie is basically Marvel flipping the bird to DC and their crappy attempt at a big-screen Green Lantern, right? Human space-cop with a supporting cast of weird aliens on his team?

Anybody well-enough versed in this franchise to break down expectations?
bearamedic99
AG
i'm curious too
Gradin
AG
I am happy with their casting so far.
Sex Panther
AG
I think it's kind of strange considering that nobody has ever heard of them, and the characters seem too weird for mainstream consumption. But Marvel is on fire so maybe it will work. I could see it being a bomb for them though.

I think Chris Pratt is asbolutely awesome though, and I'm pumped for him to get such a high profile role. So for that alone, I am definitely in.

Who else has been cast so far?

[This message has been edited by Sex Panther (edited 3/20/2013 11:24a).]
Sex Panther
AG
uh-oh... IMDB says they have a WWE wrestler cast.
Gradin
AG
The WWE wrestler guy is the same actor who was the huge golden muscle guy in Man with the Iron Fists movie.
AliasMan02
AG
Wrestler is playing Drax, who from my limited knowledge won't exactly require a lot of range or vulnerability.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Hope so, because casting a wrestler in a movie usually means it's going to suck. Besides The Rock, I can't think of a single movie that stared a wrestler that is good.
Duncan Idaho
The running man was awesome

predator was awesome

THe princess bride was awesome

Conan the destroryer was awesome
Bruce Almighty
AG
Forgot about Ventura and Andre the Giant, though I wouldn't say The Running Man or Conan were awesome. Both were okay IMO.
T Bow
I'm actually really excited for this movie. I'm sure Thanos is going to play a pivotal role in this movie.

And Batista as Drax the Destroyer is awesome.
Aggie94
AG
I'm actually looking forward to Rocket Raccoon the most. I've still got the character's limited series from back in 1985:

(/no, I didn't date in high school. Why do you ask?)

I'm thrilled that RR will be a part of the movie. And I do think it's a GIANT "f.u." toward Warner Brothers and DC considering the abortion that was Green Lantern.

Marvel has made it clear they know what they're doing at this point. I trust 'em.

Gradin
AG
http://www.themarysue.com/zoe-saldana-guardians-of-the-galaxy/

Zoe Saldana in talks to be Gamora

Also some of other cool concept art and stuff found here with a cool video about Phase 2:

http://io9.com/is-this-the-first-image-of-captain-americas-new-nemesi-465693007

[This message has been edited by Gradin (edited 4/3/2013 3:30p).]
Gradin
AG
http://nerdreactor.com/2013/04/16/guardians-of-the-galaxy-cast-michael-rooker/

Michael Rooker now cast.
maverick2076
Batista hasn't wrestled in a few years now.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

I had this magazine-length black & white comic from waaayyyy back around '78. It was awesome. It even had curse words. Great, epic story and fantastic John Byrne artwork. Written by Chris Claremont, who was the brilliant writer behind the X-Men during it's golden years of the 70's and 80's.

When I heard about this movie, I had to track this issue down on ebay. It was just as cool as I remembered.

Personally, I'm psyched that Marvel is taking a huge risk on this project. Honestly, there is no reason for them to stick their necks out with this for any reason other than they think it's cool and hopefully we will too.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I was watching a few minutes of "The Nerdist" a few weeks ago and Chris Hardwick was talking with Michael Rooker. Rooker was saying how he really, really, really wanted to be cast in this movie. He worked with director James Gunn in the movie "Slither" and was still friends with him.

Well, it's official: Michael Rooker is a "Guardian" named Yondu.

Gradin
AG
http://screenrant.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-rocket-raccoon-david-tennant/

A rumor of David Tennant being the voice of Rocket Raccoon?
AliasMan02
AG
Cast keeps expanding. Just read the first three issues of the new Guardians book, and it's pretty fun. Check it out.
Saxsoon
AG
Karen gillan from doctor who is in it now as well I believe
bdenby
AG
Rowdy Burns
MrPlow2010
AG
Comic Con footage of Guardians of the Galaxy.
It probably wont be up for long. Looks interesting.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/heres-your-first-look-from-the-set-of-guardians-of-the-galaxy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elnp_Pnqars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFZkywxq8ww
TCTTS
AG
I know nothing about this property other than what I've learned through casting, but this footage looks like it'll be a TON of fun. GOTG is slowly but surely creeping up my 2014 most anticipated list.
Sex Panther
AG
When I first heard about this I thought it was incredibly stupid. Now I'm on board if anything just because I like Chris Pratt so much.

So we still don't know who's the voice of the raccoon?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
When I first heard about this I thought it was incredibly stupid. Now I'm on board if anything just because I like Chris Pratt so much.

So we still don't know who's the voice of the raccoon?

Same here. I really do think this role could take Pratt's movie career to the next level. Only thing I'm concerned about is that they're only halfway done filming (still 40 or so days left), and Parks & Rec has been filming for a couple of weeks now, I think. So it's looking like no Andy Dwyer for quite a few episodes.

As for the raccoon, they're apparently going after some really big names, so we'll see. James Gunn recently said an announcement is right around the corner...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/12/2013 1:18p).]
Sex Panther
AG
They should get Billy West to do it in Captain Zapp Branigan's voice.
Gradin
AG
there is some footage up on Facebook at the moment:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=700291566654085

Looks awesome so far
Gradin
AG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLibdSKQQpE

New link for now
MrPlow2010
AG
the star lord helmet looks sweet
AliasMan02
AG
This is Rocket Racoon, who definitely has some potential.

GiveEmHellBill
AG

A raccoon firing a machine gun standing on the shoulder of a sentient tree voiced by Vin Diesel.

Officially my most anticipated movie in ever.

[edit]They talk is that Marvel is trying really hard to get someone HUGE (big A-List Movie Star) to be the voice of Rocket Raccoon. Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp were two of the names thrown out. Personally, I'd rather see Michael Keaton doing his Beetlejuice-type voice. It would be hilarious plus Keaton deserves a comeback.

[This message has been edited by GiveEmHellBill (edited 8/13/2013 10:07a).]
GiveEmHellBill
AG

Yep, they pretty much nailed it...
powerbelly
AG
This had me sold with Raccoon firing machine gun.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I never knew much about GoG other than they would sometimes show up in those big Marvel montages, but it might be cool to see a Marvel movie where I'm not judging every moment of the film against my memories of reading the comics 20 years ago.
Aggie94
AG
Best tweet I've seen about GotG:

"DC/WB is all like 'Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!' and Marvel/Disney is all like 'Here's a raccoon with a machine gun.'"

--@brettwhite

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.