Guardians of the Galaxy discussion

66,829 Views | 544 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TCTTS
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
^ I watched it in 2D, and regretted not seeing it in 3D. The opening sequence of StarLord playing kick-ball with those reptiles would have been worth it alone.

[This message has been edited by israeliag (edited 8/4/2014 8:59p).]
Seven Psycho Ags
The director personally oversaw the conversion to 3D. So this wasn't your typical conversion rush job and it showed.
Bunk Moreland
Saw in 2D. Loved it. Will go see in IMAX 3D within the next week.
wangus12
AG
The opening credit sequence was one of the best I've seen in a very long time. I've been rocking out to the song since last Thursday
Saxsoon
AG
What are you doing . . . I am distracting you turdblossom
Kujo30
AG
I am Groot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
The opening credit sequence was one of the best I've seen in a very long time. I've been rocking out to the song since last Thursday

+1. As soon as I got home I starred the song on Spotify.
Sex Panther
AG
Chris Pratt is my favorite person ever

http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/08/heres-chris-pratt-rapping-eminems-forgot-about-dre-before-completely-dissing-orlando-bloom/
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
Chris Pratt is my favorite person ever

http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/08/heres-chris-pratt-rapping-eminems-forgot-about-dre-before-completely-dissing-orlando-bloom/

Yeah we need to talk to staff about having a Chris Pratt forum ASAP..
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Star Lord is probably the most charismatic character Marvel has put on screen, save for maybe Tony Stark.

That said, I wouldn't put him on Han Solo's level yet.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
So insanely curious how this is going to do at the box office. It'll make money, no doubt, but will general audiences show up?

I am too. I thought it would easily kill it, but now I'm not so sure... It's got Diesel and Cooper going for it, but in voice roles... And the rest of the cast are hardly huge A-listers.

I want Chris Pratt to be a star because I like the guy so much. And while it seems the internet loves him, it's easy to forget that hardly anyone watches Parks and Rec, and he's definitely not a huge draw yet.

Marvel's got the mojo working, but this will be their first real test. It may be just too weird and unknown for the casual fans to show up. It could be Marvel's version of Scott Pilgrim. That is, huge critical and fanboy approval, but just no interest from the majority of everyday moviegoers.

How do you feel now, SP? I think they nailed it. Saw it in IMAX 3D and didn't feel ripped off.
SapperAg
AG
quote:
What are you doing . . . I am distracting you turdblossom

That may have been one of the best climatic confrontation scenes I've seen in a long time. The look on the villain's face as his grand moment was stripped to farce by a dancing loon was priceless.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just under $12 million on Monday. This movie will break $300 mill, calling it now.
Trident 88
AG
I saw it last night with 10 people from ages 12 to 55. We all loved it. The only thing we didn't like was Howard the Duck's cameo.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I'm a child of the 80's and loved Howard the Duck when it came out. That being said, the end credits scene was a major letdown, felt completely out of place, and was the only disappointment of the movie.
BigRobSA
quote:

That being said, the end credits scene was a major letdown, felt completely out of place, and was the only disappointment of the movie.

My sentiments exactly.

I stayed, dancing around because I had to pee like a race horse, because of all of the hype around "the scene".

When I saw it, I mumbled to myself "Really?! THAT was hyped about?". And I noticed it looked nothing like the actual HtD movie character. Since I never even knew it was a comic book character, I didn't know it wouldn't look "normal".
boboguitar
AG
Chris Pratt synced to the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAoZDKlbzTc
The Debt
Its not easy making an audience care about a character. All too often the filmmaker presents you with the recognizable protagonist and you just watch as their adventure unfolds. Marvel has done a good job in storytelling 101, from Steve Rogers' being the wimpy underdog to the envied pro-military-snarky-cutup losing it all, you get a good sense of the character within the first scene.

I took my 13yo nephew to this, who doesnt have the best relationship with his mom, and he balled in both the opening scene and the letter scene. Filmmakers have been caught in the trap of substituting story for effects. If they both sell, and one is hard because thinking, we are left with the Michael Bays of the industry.

[This message has been edited by The Debt (edited 8/6/2014 10:39a).]
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
How do you feel now, SP? I think they nailed it. Saw it in IMAX 3D and didn't feel ripped off.

Thought it was awesome. Such an incredibly entertaining movie. And obviously it's not only going to be a critical and fanboy hit, but is on its way to being a huge commercial success as well. Absolute homerun by Marvel.
Phat32
AliasMan02
AG
Made $12million domestic on a freakin' Tuesday.

Tracking similar to Man of Steel.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Saw it for a second time last night. It was about 2/3rds full...on a Wednesday night!
Phat32
AG
Word of mouth will be really good
Saxsoon
AG
I work with a bunch of 40-50 yr olds and most of them plan on seeing this. It is crazy how word of mouth is doing for this movie.
Saxsoon
AG
And while a lot of them will get the references, it is still a strange strange movie when you watch the trailers. I thought they would turn some people off
GiveEmHellBill
AG
For fans of Bob's Burgers, I'll just leave this here...

fig96
AG
Awesome Bill.
NC2001
AG
Watched it in 3D this afternoon with the wife. We both enjoyed this movie and agree that it is the best Marvel movie to date. She started downloading the songs from the movie while we were heading out. Great soundtrack, awesome movie from start to finish.
Philip J Fry
AG
Watched it again tonight. Enjoyed it even more with the second viewing.

The wife says she thought she caught a Firefly reference this time. Says it looked like the cartoon that was sending subliminal messages to River. Can anyone confirm?
Ambres
AG
Man I don't see how GoTG2 can be as good as the first. This was the perfect summer movie (Should have been a 4th of July release).

Things to figure out: Who is Peter Quill father and why did he leave his son at the hands of the Youdu? How can they defeat Thanos if they basically got owned by Ronin? (Note: in the comics .. Drat could easily go toe to toe with Ronin). Finally, which Guardian will they add in the sequel (mentioned by the director that another character will be added from the comics.. hoping it is Adam Warlock or Capt Marvel).
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
Watched it again tonight. Enjoyed it even more with the second viewing.

The wife says she thought she caught a Firefly reference this time. Says it looked like the cartoon that was sending subliminal messages to River. Can anyone confirm?

"Honey, we need to go see Guardians again. For research purposes."
"Let's go!"
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I know who Peter Quills father is from the comics which if that is the same I'm super excited for what they could do with GOTG 2
G Martin 87
AG
Didn't see a Fruity Oaty Bar commercial. But I may need to do more research. I did see an Alf trading card in the Milano, though.
Philip J Fry
AG
FWIW, Captain Mal had a voice over cameo as one of the prisoners.

As far as the fruity oaty bar commercial, she thinks she saw it in the scenes leading up to the collector, but wasn't sure.
fig96
AG
Yup, he was the guy who got his nostrils cleaned out by Groot in the prison. There's a slight resemblance as well.

This is a bit long but I thought worth posting, an open letter from James Gunn on Facebook. I'm liking this guy more and more:

quote:
Thanks to all of you who saw (and are seeing) Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend, from the bottom of my heart. The Guardians are a group of oddballs, outcasts, and geeks. The movie is for anyone who ever felt cast aside, left out, or different. It's for all of us who don't belong. This movie belongs to you. And, today, I think we're doing okay.

I am of course happy with all the film has accomplished box-office-wise. But what touches me the most is that the film I told the folks at Marvel I wanted to make two years ago is the film that you're seeing in theaters today - it's that so many of you seem to be directly EXPERIENCING the film I INTENDED. The cast, the producers, the crew, and I felt like we were making something special while we were making it. But it is very rare that a director's INTENTIONS in creating a film, or a scene, or a character, or a line of dialogue are, seemingly, specifically what is experienced by an audience (not to mention critics!), and that seems to be what has happened here. You have allowed a talking raccoon - for a moment, a minute, or a day - to make you a little more human. And for that, I am profoundly grateful.

If I relied on myself to implement these intentions, the film would be a shambling mess. But instead, I had a wonderful cast, genius producers, an incredibly brave studio, sublimely talented visual effects artists, great editors, and the best damn crew of mostly-British *******s to actually implement these intentions for me. Where I had a good idea they would, through alchemy, transform it into a great one. Many of you involved are friends of mine on Facebook. Many of you will read this somewhere else. I love you all.

You may remember me posting here a couple weeks ago how sad I was to be finishing up the film, that I was having trouble letting go of Rocket, and that I was going to miss him. But seeing him (and Groot, and the rest of the team) embraced by the world like they have been, to be UNDERSTOOD, makes it a wonderful letting go. It's like giving a foster pet up for adoption to the most wonderful parents in the world.

And, of course, I'm not really saying goodbye as, while many of you have been enjoying the film, I've spent this weekend hard at work on the sequel. I couldn't help myself! The results are nice but it's really the creative process I love and that keeps me going. I'm on fire with this thing! The Guardians have so many hardships and heartaches and triumphs ahead of them, and I can't wait to share them with all of you.

Onto week two...

Love, James

[This message has been edited by fig96 (edited 8/10/2014 12:32a).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.