Is Abbott lifting the state wide mask mandate today?

65,734 Views | 703 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Captain Pablo
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
larry culpepper said:

aTm2004 said:

Salute The Marines said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

I was finally going to go to the grocery store for the first time in a year. Now not so sure. Will have to see if others grant me social distance and at least the store people continue to mask. I have had both shots, but they are only 95 percent effective. I am high risk.

Covid is endemic now. If this is how you feel then you probably will never feel safe anyway.

Also, putting "only" in front of the 95% is just sad.

When will government cure death?
You don't sound as intelligent or witty as you think you do.
BTW, neither do you.
In talking with sources connected to Meyer's family on Sunday, there was laughter about the persistence of the Texas pursuit.
Teslag
AG
larry culpepper said:

At the very least we should have made sure grocery store and restaurant workers were vaccinated prior to lifting the mask requirements. They are exposed to so many people every day and now they will be maskless and they wont have vaccine access, at least not yet.

Chances are they have already been exposed.

Most grocery store workers are either lolfats or teens. The former already qualified for the vaccine and the later has nothing to worry about.
tysker
AG
larry culpepper said:

At the very least we should have made sure grocery store and restaurant workers were vaccinated prior to lifting the mask requirements. They are exposed to so many people every day and now they will be maskless and they wont have vaccine access, at least not yet.
Some of us suggested as much but the olds and fats got priority over people that work for a living
Cassius
larry culpepper said:

LMAO
Cassius
larry culpepper said:

aTm2004 said:

Salute The Marines said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

I was finally going to go to the grocery store for the first time in a year. Now not so sure. Will have to see if others grant me social distance and at least the store people continue to mask. I have had both shots, but they are only 95 percent effective. I am high risk.

Covid is endemic now. If this is how you feel then you probably will never feel safe anyway.

Also, putting "only" in front of the 95% is just sad.

When will government cure death?
You don't sound as intelligent or witty as you think you do.

Irony
aginlakeway
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

ONLY 95 percent? It's closer to 100% as far as preventing serious illness.

You probably did riskier things before covid ...

You're living in fear instead of living. You're going to be OK. Get on with living.

"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Cassius
Fitch said:

Doubt it.

Vaccine supply about to surge though.

Edit: Welp - that's par for the course and why I don't bet on Aggie sports...
Cassius
AgsMyDude said:

beerad12man said:

AgsMyDude said:

JBenn06 said:

Are the masks gone?

No masks, 100% open effective next Wed.

Seems a bit early IMO.
6 months too late
1 month too early

Based on nothing!
Keegan99
AG
larry culpepper said:

Can you point to any data that indicates these workers were at elevated risk? Or that mask mandates effectively mitigated that risk?

Also, private establishments are free to have mask policies. The government is not prohibiting these employees from wearing masks.

Finally, any individual can purchase an N95. That would be an effective protective measure, unlike cloth masks.
dubi
AG
Aston94 said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

I don't mean to sound petty, but you are really letting fear overcome you. The vaccine is 95% effective against getting the virus, but near 100% effective in preventing serious illness. If you want to wear a mask I understand, but you should not live in fear of covid any longer.

Not one vaccinated person was hospitalized during the trial.

So even if you got it, the disease course would be mild.

Get out and resume your life!
Get Off My Lawn
PJYoung said:

billydean05 said:

aggiebymarriage88 said:

I would think most businesses will still require masks for a bit longer
Definitely not mine.
Yeah it's a fine line here in the RGV. Most people know somebody who either died or nearly died from covid. We were hit hard in the summer. I don't wanna piss off my employees by taking down our signs too soon but I certainly don't think the non N95s protect us even 50%.

EDIT: I love that Abbott opened things back up. The hopitalization rate and vaccinations support it 100%.
Easy answer: "Management respectfully requests that employees wear a mask to mitigate potential viral spread, and to respect your coworkers who may have different personal risks profiles."

A cloth mask is little more than theater in the face of a CBRN threat and intruding on some employees to accommodate the irrational fear of a few employees isn't leadership. And if you do have employees for whom the absence of masks is a problem: then they probably shouldn't be in public in the first place ("protected" by little more than a false sense of security).
MarylandAG
Interesting discussion, I'm curious...

if a privately owned store or restaurant REQUIRES you to wear a mask, does the non-masked crowd, respect that and say, okay no problem I will just take my business somewhere else

or

do they take a F you attitude and still going into the establishment?

Not interested in if masks are effective or not, simply curious about the mind set of folks. I get the "Stay home and wear 10 masks but I don't have to" mentality. I want to know if you take the same mentality of someone owning a private business and REQUIRING something, if you ridicule them or respectfully say no problem you have a right to require it I will go elsewhere.

basically you have the masked and non-masked crowd, each sticks to themselves and everyone should be cool right? This will be interesting.
mazag08
AG
Take my business elsewhere. Maybe temporarily. Maybe permanently. Depends on the business and their level of idiocy.
Gilligan
AG
mazag08 said:

Take my business elsewhere. Maybe temporarily. Maybe permanently. Depends on the business and their level of idiocy.

This is the answer!
MarylandAG
Maza, I think that is the right approach. Basically to each their own. Just don't ridicule the other party for the decision they make. It's a person choice and life isn't a vacuum, everybody has unique set of circumstances.
Teslag
AG
If it's just a sign I'm going in maskless and claiming some fake medical issue if they ask. If they press and ask me to leave I'll leave.

Basically a lot of businesses with masks mandates aren't enforcing them anyway so you might as well ignore it. It's going to be a free for all now anyway and they won't want the headache.
Capitol Ag
AG
Aston94 said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

I don't mean to sound petty, but you are really letting fear overcome you. The vaccine is 95% effective against getting the virus, but near 100% effective in preventing serious illness. If you want to wear a mask I understand, but you should not live in fear of covid any longer.

100% this. This vaccine might be one of the greatest scientific accomplishments of all time. 3rd Gen, you really are safe after 14 days of the 2nd dose. Get out there and have fun. Seriously.

This is what ZDogg MD was stating in the last video. The media and public health need to tell the truth about this vaccine. Instead they've done nothing but make those who are vaccinated doubt the effectiveness. If we want more vaccinated, make sure people know how absolutely effective this is.
tysker
AG
MarylandAG said:

Interesting discussion, I'm curious...

if a privately owned store or restaurant REQUIRES you to wear a mask, does the non-masked crowd, respect that and say, okay no problem I will just take my business somewhere else

or

do they take a F you attitude and still going into the establishment?

Not interested in if masks are effective or not, simply curious about the mind set of folks. I get the "Stay home and wear 10 masks but I don't have to" mentality. I want to know if you take the same mentality of someone owning a private business and REQUIRING something, if you ridicule them or respectfully say no problem you have a right to require it I will go elsewhere.

basically you have the masked and non-masked crowd, each sticks to themselves and everyone should be cool right? This will be interesting.
It depends on the amount of force the owner wants to employ. Places like WalMart don't even stop shoplifters unless they have definitive proof because it's not worth making a mistake and getting your employee harmed. I'm curious to know how they treat the maskless
AggieUSMC
AG
Will county and local governments still have restrictions?
aTm2004
AG
There is a threshold that has to be met before they can enact a mask mandate (can't shut a business down), but they can't fine or jail anyone not complying. Essential, Abbott will let them do it but neutered their ability to enforce it.
barbacoa taco
AG
Keegan99 said:

larry culpepper said:

Can you point to any data that indicates these workers were at elevated risk? Or that mask mandates effectively mitigated that risk?

Also, private establishments are free to have mask policies. The government is not prohibiting these employees from wearing masks.

Finally, any individual can purchase an N95. That would be an effective protective measure, unlike cloth masks.
working in an environment with heavy customer turnover every day. Hundreds of people who have been around hundreds of others. They are at higher risk of transmission. It does help that they wear masks and when store workers have plexiglass barriers, though.

Yes they sure are! I wonder how many people will actually respect establishments that require masks after the mask mandate expires.

I'm not worried about me. I just want this pandemic to be over and dont want recklessness prolonging it.
Keegan99
AG

Quote:

working in an environment with heavy customer turnover every day. Hundreds of people who have been around hundreds of others. They are at higher risk of transmission. It does help that they wear masks and when store workers have plexiglass barriers, though.

Can you provide data to support this claim?

And that mask mandates mitigated the risk?
culdeus
AG
Nobody enforced the restaurant capacity. The mask thing was what? Grocery stores. Bfd.

This changes nothing really but gives our f16 folks something to cheer I guess.

Not a single kid is back in schools for this and you can't go see a sporting event at capacity. Wake me up when those happen.
P.U.T.U
AG
At the end of the day more lives would have been saved by isolating the high risk/elderly and paying for everyone else in the US to lose 10-20 pounds with also getting at least 30 minutes of sunlight a day.
aTm2004
AG
Keegan99 said:

Quote:

Feels aren't quantifiable.
Alta
AG
I'll drop the mask unless a business requires one. If a private business requires a mask then I certainly will wear one or go to a different store that doesn't. Their property so their rules.
barbacoa taco
AG
Keegan99 said:

Quote:

https://oem.bmj.com/content/early/2020/10/11/oemed-2020-106774

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

Being around lots of strangers and in close contact increases risk. This has been known for a long time now.

I'm not some nut who thinks we need to lock down. I just think more people should be vaccinated before we relax. Because I dont want this stupid pandemic lasting into next year.
Gordo14
beerad12man said:

AgsMyDude said:

beerad12man said:

AgsMyDude said:

JBenn06 said:

Are the masks gone?

No masks, 100% open effective next Wed.

Seems a bit early IMO.
6 months too late
1 month too early
You can wear one for the rest of your life if you wish. That's the beauty of it.

Yeah because 1 month is equivalent to the rest of his life. Classic false equivalency.

This is 1 month too early because the vaccine js not widely available yet. Things will be ok, but this was a brash decision likely motivated by the ercot headlines, and I feel sorry for service workers being thrown into this environment. I think a lot of businesses will keep mask mandates for the next month or two, but I'm sure they'll get a ton of "it's my right" badasses who act like selfish ******bags.
JP_Losman
AG
Please site peer reviewed study detailing why this is "one month too early"
beerad12man
AG
Meh, not worth it with you.

Florida did this long before a single vaccine was given. Where is their pain and suffering from being too early? They must be doing significantly worse than places like NYC or California, right?
Aston94
AG
This, I agree with. Really just puts some 18 year old kid working as a greeter at Chili's in the cross hairs.

In talking with sources connected to Meyer's family on Sunday, there was laughter about the persistence of the Texas pursuit.
beerad12man
AG
Woof. I can't detect sarcasm any more
Rex Racer
AG
larry culpepper said:

Jbob04 said:

larry culpepper said:

RealTalk said:

I'm okay with everything opening back up but some of you are childish.
People are gloating about this like it's a football game their team just won. It's weird.

Maybe cause mask nazis have been talking so much **** the past year. Covid is over.
wish you were right. But we aren't out of the woods yet. It's still with us and we havent reached herd immunity.
Here's a news flash. COVID is probably always going to be with us from now on. We're going to have to live with it. May as well start now!
JP_Losman
AG
I think he was using sarcasm
Aston94
AG
Darn, I missed his comment before edit!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.