Is Abbott lifting the state wide mask mandate today?

66,541 Views | 703 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Captain Pablo
tysker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You trying to argue size doesn't matter?
Capitol Ag
AG
amercer said:

Masks absolutely work. But you have to actually follow the rules. That means wearing them whenever you are around people not from your own family. Outside, inside, over your mouth AND nose every time.

The only thing that's clear from the past year is that basically no one followed the rules. It didn't matter if they were pro lockdown or against, or pro mask or against, the rules were always for someone else. At this point TX and FL are just acknowledging reality.

I agree that masks can be beneficial. Especially from the viral load perspective. Outside, one is pretty safe unless in close proximity for an extended period of time. It's really hard to transmit the virus outside. One other thing you forgot, people should be replacing their masks more often throughout the day which almost no one does. I agree, TX and FL are acknowledging reality.
Duncan Idaho
The was the best. Snl skit in a long long time. Perfectly on target.
Gilligan
AG

I can't help myself sometimes...

Agthatbuilds
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7680614/

Quote:

According to the current knowledge, the virus SARS-CoV-2 has a diameter of 60 nm to 140 nm [nanometers (billionth of a meter)] [16], [17], while medical and non-medical facemasks' thread diameter ranges from 55 m to 440 m [micrometers (one millionth of a meter), which is more than 1000 times larger [25]. Due to the difference in sizes between SARS-CoV-2 diameter and facemasks thread diameter (the virus is 1000 times smaller), SARS-CoV-2 can easily pass through any facemask [25]. In addition, the efficiency filtration rate of facemasks is poor, ranging from 0.7% in non-surgical, cotton-gauze woven mask to 26% in cotton sweeter material [2]. With respect to surgical and N95 medical facemasks, the efficiency filtration rate falls to 15% and 58%, respectively when even small gap between the mask and the face exists [25].

Quote:

A randomized controlled trial (RCT) of 246 participants [123 (50%) symptomatic)] who were allocated to either wearing or not wearing surgical facemask, assessing viruses transmission including coronavirus [26]. The results of this study showed that among symptomatic individuals (those with fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose ect) there was no difference between wearing and not wearing facemask for coronavirus droplets transmission of particles of >5 m. Among asymptomatic individuals, there was no droplets or aerosols coronavirus detected from any participant with or without the mask, suggesting that asymptomatic individuals do not transmit or infect other people

Quote:

A meta-analysis among health care workers found that compared to no masks, surgical mask and N95 respirators were not effective against transmission of viral infections or influenza-like illness based on six RCTs [28]. Using separate analysis of 23 observational studies, this meta-analysis found no protective effect of medical mask or N95 respirators against SARS virus [28]. A recent systematic review of 39 studies including 33,867 participants in community settings (self-report illness), found no difference between N95 respirators versus surgical masks and surgical mask versus no masks in the risk for developing influenza or influenza-like illness, suggesting their ineffectiveness of blocking viral transmissions in community settings

Big masks really made out

Gilligan
AG
So you're saying my previous post is 100% accurate!
PJYoung
AG
Wakesurfer817
Agthatbuilds said:

Quote:

A randomized controlled trial (RCT) of 246 participants [123 (50%) symptomatic)] who were allocated to either wearing or not wearing surgical facemask, assessing viruses transmission including coronavirus [26]. The results of this study showed that among symptomatic individuals (those with fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose ect) there was no difference between wearing and not wearing facemask for coronavirus droplets transmission of particles of >5 m. Among asymptomatic individuals, there was no droplets or aerosols coronavirus detected from any participant with or without the mask, suggesting that asymptomatic individuals do not transmit or infect other people

This is interesting. The author seems to arrive upon a conclusion drawn from a small piece of a cited study. Here's a summary from the authors of the actual study (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2?fbclid=IwAR0Q3-WhHv1F9dmZSr2iLNQ-F6ioAIfOYAch7PPtHib9EsuVyhs-mYZlXcg)

"We identified seasonal human coronaviruses, influenza viruses and rhinoviruses in exhaled breath and coughs of children and adults with acute respiratory illness. Surgical face masks significantly reduced detection of influenza virus RNA in respiratory droplets and coronavirus RNA in aerosols, with a trend toward reduced detection of coronavirus RNA in respiratory droplets. Our results indicate that surgical face masks could prevent transmission of human coronaviruses and influenza viruses from symptomatic individuals."

I'm not a big fan of face masks - especially after vaccination. I do think that one has to peel back the onion a bit these days.
ORAggieFan
Yeah, I'm not a face mask fan either and I too was originally fooled by that same "study". But, it's just a hypothesis by some random dude. Doesn't make it wrong, but it's not peer reviewed and he picks and chooses some things to interpret different than the authors.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Yeah, I'm not a face mask fan either and I too was originally fooled by that same "study". But, it's just a hypothesis by some random dude. Doesn't make it wrong, but it's not peer reviewed and he picks and chooses some things to interpret different than the authors.

" But, it's just a hypothesis by some random dude. "

To this point, are there any studies showing they work? I have yet to see one, thus that is also hypothesis.
ORAggieFan
HowdyTexasAggies said:

ORAggieFan said:

" But, it's just a hypothesis by some random dude. "

To this point, are there any studies showing they work? I have yet to see one, thus that is also hypothesis.
There are, but they all have massive holes in them. I'm with you. I just keep seeing that one hypothesis by a random guy advertised as "Stanford Study" of which it's not. It's important to not use fake news when defending a position to not lose credibility. I'm 100% in the masks are ineffective camp.
amercer
AG
The problem isn't that masks don't work, it's that the mask mandates have been 100% ineffective. Small indoor gatherings have been the main driver of spread, but that's the situation where no one is wearing one regardless of what the local restrictions are. You aren't catching Covid at the park, or on the sidewalk, or even at Walmart, but that's where masks get enforced.

This article is very pro mask, but it gets into some of the physiological aspects of it and how the public messaging and mandates probably made things worse.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/04/are-outdoor-mask-mandates-still-necessary/618626/
BiochemAg97
AG
Wakesurfer817 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Quote:

This is interesting. The author seems to arrive upon a conclusion drawn from a small piece of a cited study. Here's a summary from the authors of the actual study (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2?fbclid=IwAR0Q3-WhHv1F9dmZSr2iLNQ-F6ioAIfOYAch7PPtHib9EsuVyhs-mYZlXcg)

"We identified seasonal human coronaviruses, influenza viruses and rhinoviruses in exhaled breath and coughs of children and adults with acute respiratory illness. Surgical face masks significantly reduced detection of influenza virus RNA in respiratory droplets and coronavirus RNA in aerosols, with a trend toward reduced detection of coronavirus RNA in respiratory droplets. Our results indicate that surgical face masks could prevent transmission of human coronaviruses and influenza viruses from symptomatic individuals."

I'm not a big fan of face masks - especially after vaccination. I do think that one has to peel back the onion a bit these days.
>5 meters is pretty far out. Social distancing has been 6ft (~2m). Seems to suggest the droplets/aerosols fall out of the air or are too dilute to matter by 5m.
BiochemAg97
AG
amercer said:

The problem isn't that masks don't work, it's that the mask mandates have been 100% ineffective. Small indoor gatherings have been the main driver of spread, but that's the situation where no one is wearing one regardless of what the local restrictions are. You aren't catching Covid at the park, or on the sidewalk, or even at Walmart, but that's where masks get enforced.

This article is very pro mask, but it gets into some of the physiological aspects of it and how the public messaging and mandates probably made things worse.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/04/are-outdoor-mask-mandates-still-necessary/618626/
Mask mandates also forced people into using all kinds of things to cover their nose/mouth. Huge difference in effectiveness between a properly fitting an N95 and some bandanna type thing covering the nose and mouth.

Note: I have a number of "masks" that are compliant but likely do nothing more than velocity dissipation on my droplets or deflection to around the mask. I also have several others that are more effective, including a box of surgical masks I also keep in my truck as backup. I choose my mask based on the amount of risk I am avoiding. For example, if I'm going to a restaurant where I am going to walk 6 feet to the table and take the mask off, I'm more likely to choose a thin gaiter style mask.
Charpie
AG
Because bbq is important
ORAggieFan
Since 3/2 announcement:
TX: Cases down 55%
CA: Cases down 52%
amercer
AG
Since 3/2 announcement

~130 million shots in arms
ORAggieFan
amercer said:

Since 3/2 announcement

No doubt that is helping and will continue to help, but those getting the two shot dose that day forward are just now fully vaccinated (we know a single shot really helps though).
Teslag
AG
amercer said:

Since 3/2 announcement

Which means dropping the mandate wasn't wrong.
ORAggieFan
So, any time I mention this my friends in TX (that support masks) try and say that mask usage is unchanged and individuals are choosing to wear them or being forced to by the stores. Is mask usage down?
YouBet
AG
GAC06 said:

Masks were the piece of the puzzle to spread awareness and "let" businesses reopen. They always were theater.
Yep. Not sure why this isn't obvious to everyone.

Great article on why masks don't work and could actually be making things worse. Studies and experts cited in article.

https://www.theblaze.com/op-ed/horowitz-why-masks-dont-work-in-the-real-world?xrs=RebelMouse_fb&ts=1618932924
beerad12man
AG
In my experience yes.

Heb I saw 14 without masks Sunday which was more than any time before

In my gym people wear them less and less.

Same as restaurants. Both useless before and after the ruling.
fig96
AG
Not a noticeable change in suburban Austin, everywhere I've gone is still requiring them.
YouBet
AG
ORAggieFan said:

So, any time I mention this my friends in TX (that support masks) try and say that mask usage is unchanged and individuals are choosing to wear them or being forced to by the stores. Is mask usage down?
Depends on where you are in the state. I'm seeing at least a few more folks not wearing them in Dallas based on my anecdotal visits to Lowe's and a few other places I visit frequently but no masks are still very much in the minority.

On our frequent 7 hr drive to the Texas coast we are seeing way fewer masks whenever we stop and at our destination town.
Bucketrunner
So will it require a mandate to get them off the fearful?
fightingfarmer09
fig96 said:

Not a noticeable change in suburban Austin, everywhere I've gone is still requiring them.

The secret is to walk right by the sign and ignore the person. If they are willing to take my money at the register, then they obviously didn't care about the sign.
amercer
AG
Salute The Marines said:

amercer said:

Since 3/2 announcement

Which means dropping the mandate wasn't wrong.

Never said it was. If they really wanted people to be vaccinated they'd offer a mask for vaccine exchange at every immunization site and burn them for show.
Dad
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

fig96 said:

The secret is to walk right by the sign and ignore the person. If they are willing to take my money at the register, then they obviously didn't care about the sign.

Yeah, Target has signs and zero enforcement. If people only knew that the masks are useless at stopping Covid and the rules aren't enforced we would all be mask free by tomorrow.
fig96
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

fig96 said:

I'm weird and still respecting other people so I just wear one and don't throw a fit about it.
Agthatbuilds
fig96 said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

fig96 said:

I'm weird and still respecting other people so I just wear one and don't throw a fit about it.

I wear a mask because i believe in property rights. If a business asks, i wear one becausr i too want people to respect the rules of my business.

I dont believe a mask is anything other than theater, but i will respect a property owner's request.
GAC06
AG
No need to throw a fit, I'm finding that none of the stores I go to that still have signs up actually care. They're likely protecting themselves from Twitter/Yelp zealots who would come after them for taking the sign down.
beerad12man
AG
Less and less people are caring, especially as more get vaccinated. I haven't been downtown but no business I've been in for the last 2-3 months have cared at all. From my gym, to academy, heb, the golf courses, etc
coolerguy12
AG
fig96 said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

fig96 said:

Sweet virtue signal
fig96
AG
coolerguy12 said:

fig96 said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

fig96 said:

Sweet virtue signal
A lot of people here seem to like to advertise that they're *******s so might as well do the opposite as well.
Fitch
AG
fig96 said:

coolerguy12 said:

fig96 said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

fig96 said:

Sweet virtue signal
A lot of people here seem to like to advertise that they're *******s so might as well do the opposite as well.
Blue star for you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.