Is Abbott lifting the state wide mask mandate today?

66,553 Views | 703 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Captain Pablo
Prexys Moon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

We have 200 years of legal precedent backed by the Supreme Court for state measures to combat public health issues. We have countless instance of the types of quarantines we have witness throughout U.S. History and even Texas history. Courts were re-affirming these state powers as recently as the 2014 Ebola Outbreak.

We shouldn't invent an alternate and fictitious history and then use that fantasy land for political debate. The rules have nearly always been the same. The legitimacy of their application is probably a more fertile topic for discussion.

when have we had businesses closed down by executive order? with no end date given?
Get Off My Lawn
t - cam said:

Good news!!! All school personnel will become immediately eligible for available vaccines. That was something they needed to do if lifting mandates.
WRONG. We shouldn't be wasting the first vaccines on healthy working age folks who spend most of their day enclosed with non-spreaders. The old and sick teachers should be in line with the other old and sick folks. There's nothing inherently dangerous about the a classroom or extraordinary risky about what teachers do.
96ags
AG
2PacShakur said:

My previous comment was deleted but the responses in this thread just iterate the point I was making. We're not as pro-life as we may think we are when people turn a simple mask into a burden like Sisyphus with his rock. I thought all lives mattered, but apparently we can dismiss a few so we won't be inconvenienced with a mask.
Do you drive?
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

But lets all reflect on how far we have moved away from freedom and the values that the United States was founded on. Today we had the governor of a conservative , southern state tell the citizens that "you may now operate your business at 100 percent". We all cheered and rejoiced....as if that was a perfectly legitimate thing to be taken away in the first place.
We have 200 years of legal precedent backed by the Supreme Court for state measures to combat public health issues. We have countless instance of the types of quarantines we have witness throughout U.S. History and even Texas history. Courts were re-affirming these state powers as recently as the 2014 Ebola Outbreak.

We shouldn't invent an alternate and fictitious history and then use that fantasy land for political debate. The rules have nearly always been the same. The legitimacy of their application is probably a more fertile topic for discussion.

Nor should we invent alternative fictitious data and use that fantasy land for political debate. The rules have not always been the same, hence the supreme court ruling one way and then over ruling itself.
Windy City Ag
AG
Mask ordinances, business closures, and other compulsory public health measures were widely used during 1918.

There are plenty of other court cases before and after where similar measures were contested but ultimately upheld.

https://www.americanbar.org/news/abanews/publications/youraba/2020/youraba-april-2020/law-guides-legal-approach-to-pandemic/

Quote:

The power to quarantine and take even more stringent measures in the name of public health has belonged largely to the states for nearly 200 years. In 1824, the Supreme Court drew a clear line in Gibbons v. Ogden between the state and federal governments when it came to regulating activities within and between states. In a unanimous ruling, then-Chief Justice John Marshall cited the 10th Amendment in saying that police powers are largely reserved to states for activities within their borders.

Those police powers, he explained, include the ability to impose isolation and quarantine conditions. Marshall wrote that quarantine laws "form a portion of that immense mass of legislation which embraces everything within the territory of a state not surrendered to the general government."

In 1902, the Supreme Court directly addressed a state's power to quarantine an entire geographical area. In Compagnie Francaise de Navigation a Vapeur v. Louisiana State Board of Health, the justices upheld a Louisiana Supreme Court decision that the state could enact and enforce quarantine laws unless Congress had decided to preempt them. Thus Louisiana could exclude healthy persons from an infested area populated with persons with a contagious or infectious disease (the Port of New Orleans), and that this power applied as well to persons seeking to enter the infected place, whether they came from within the state or not. The decision in Compagnie Francaise remains unchanged, and numerous courts have cited it as authority for state quarantines as recently as the Ebola outbreak.

To me, the question is not the intention of the founding fathers but whether the backdrop justified the measures applied.

I don't think lockdowns work but that doesn't change the legal right to impose them.
Windy City Ag
AG
Another interesting read on the New Orleans quarantines of 1898.

https://dailyjournalonline.com/community/farmington-press/coronavirus-quarantine-fights-not-a-first-for-u-s/article_4c30f695-aeea-5532-916c-4821670d27b8.html

The article hits on your point about the business closures.
t - cam
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

t - cam said:

Good news!!! All school personnel will become immediately eligible for available vaccines. That was something they needed to do if lifting mandates.
WRONG. We shouldn't be wasting the first vaccines on healthy working age folks who spend most of their day enclosed with non-spreaders. The old and sick teachers should be in line with the other old and sick folks. There's nothing inherently dangerous about the a classroom or extraordinary risky about what teachers do.

Some people will complain about anything. I've been told on this thread that all high risk people are already taken care of.

Mozart Paintings
AG
wbt5845 said:

JP_Losman said:

Sweet. Where did you see that announcement?

My source inside the organization

This sounds a lot cooler than saying a guy who works for the Rangers that posts on the Rangers thread said so.
Fitch
AG
If you've ever met Scott McCllelland, he is a remarkable person and corporate leader. Posting this link here because, per usual, he was able to more succinctly capture in words the general temperament of yesterday and today. Video at the top of the linked page.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/heb-mask-mandate-scott-mcclelland-abbott-15998627.php
ETFan
Everyone I know knows someone who has died from covid, typically high risk. Everyone I know still knows someone who is high risk who hasn't been vaccinated yet, but are in the process of doing so. The administration of vaccines has really picked up, we're rocking and rolling. Our clinic expanded our hours to work through the weekends to get this thing pushed out. We're so close, but instead of hanging on a few more weeks to get this thing out to everyone who wants it we've gotta get political and make an irrational ball spiking move.

Oh well I guess.
aTm2004
AG
ETFan said:

Everyone I know knows someone who has died from covid, typically high risk. Everyone I know still knows someone who is high risk who hasn't been vaccinated yet, but are in the process of doing so. The administration of vaccines has really picked up, we're rocking and rolling. Our clinic expanded our hours to work through the weekends to get this thing pushed out. We're so close, but instead of hanging on a few more weeks to get this thing out to everyone who wants it we've gotta get political and make an irrational ball spiking move.

Oh well I guess.

I'm sure those same people knows someone who has lost their job or business as well.
96ags
AG
ETFan said:

Oh well I guess.

Just two more weeks would have done it, right? So damn predictable.
Dad
AG
ETFan said:

Oh well I guess.

He didn't ban masks. Covid is not spreading in HEB anyway, masks or not.

It spreads in places like homes where people have not been wearing masks all along. It spreads at a dinner table where people have not been wearing masks to eat at home or in restaurants.
beerad12man
AG
I'll just never quite get why some of you hate freedom and personal choice so much
Rubble
AG
ETFan said:

Oh well I guess.

I don't know anyone who has died of COVID. I know of several people whom I've met at some point in my life that died from other things that were possibly caused by COVID, however. Not one person that I know or am connected through another person has died strictly from COVID. You're wording is of death of COVID is misconstrued, in my opinion.

I can also count on both hands with a couple of fingers left the number of people I personally know who've tested positive of COVID.

Maybe I'm lucky, or naive, but then again, I've been stuck at home with my kids for a year with no babysitters to let us get a break. Next week we'll get that break when my parents will come babysit because they've had both of their shots.

**** this ***** I'm ready to move on
Rubble
AG
Dad said:

ETFan said:

Oh well I guess.

He didn't ban masks. Covid is not spreading in HEB anyway, masks or not.

It spreads in places like homes where people have not been wearing masks all along. It spreads at a dinner table where people have not been wearing masks to eat at home or in restaurants.

Wait, do you mean the places we spend most of our time? Holy ****, novel thinking here. Sure wish libs would be rational about real life...

Dad, I 100% agree with you.
t - cam
AG
beerad12man said:

I'll just never quite get why some of you hate freedom and personal choice so much

The good news is you have the freedom to have a completely different opinion than others. That is the actual basis for founding our country.

TexasAggie008
AG
All of the bs will take care of itself as long as hospitalizations and deaths continue to plummet....which should be a certainty given that the vast majority of historical deaths/hosp cases consisted of people who happen to be in vax group 1a/1b - who are.....stay with me now - getting vaccinated by the day

So as long as the vaxs generally work as advertised - there really isn't any math left that could result in spikes in anything other than cases - cases that would be spreading amongst non 1a/1b (low risk) people who can thankfully no longer pass it on to now vaccinated "grandma"
Gilligan
AG
7 days to go.
88planoAg
AG
Re teachers and masks....my kid is in HS band. In the beginning back in August they only practiced outside or spread out inside for marching season. This has morphed quietly into full band practice inside every band period and twice a week after school. Inside the band hall. The kids carefully put their masks on before and after practice. But they have nothing covering the ends of instruments and play for 1.5 hours every other day. Have been since January.

No large outbreak. No large quarantine. It doesn't make sense to me that this is an anomaly. No, this is because the virus doesn't spread among HS kids - what other explanation can there be?

Schools should be fine. I am tired of living behind a mask and ignoring things that don't match what the media and *some* scientists tell us is true. I am tired of the demonization of people who see with their own eyes how this is spread/not spread. I've had covid, I have antibodies. My parents and MIL have been fully vaccinated. There is no need for us to wear masks anymore. I hear the scientists say 'but wait, no studies yet' - but if we wait for scientific certainty we will be waiting for years.
P.U.T.U
AG
Daughter got it from her teacher where adults have a strict mask mandate. Cloth mask do not work, I have already posted about the science behind it
cecil77
AG
Quote:

but if we wait for scientific certainty we will be waiting for years.

ahh.. irony. If scientific certainty had been in play mask wearing would never have been mandated, or even recommended.
beerad12man
AG
88planoAg said:

Re teachers and masks....my kid is in HS band. In the beginning back in August they only practiced outside or spread out inside for marching season. This has morphed quietly into full band practice inside every band period and twice a week after school. Inside the band hall. The kids carefully put their masks on before and after practice. But they have nothing covering the ends of instruments and play for 1.5 hours every other day. Have been since January.

No large outbreak. No large quarantine. It doesn't make sense to me that this is an anomaly. No, this is because the virus doesn't spread among HS kids - what other explanation can there be?

Schools should be fine. I am tired of living behind a mask and ignoring things that don't match what the media and *some* scientists tell us is true. I am tired of the demonization of people who see with their own eyes how this is spread/not spread. I've had covid, I have antibodies. My parents and MIL have been fully vaccinated. There is no need for us to wear masks anymore. I hear the scientists say 'but wait, no studies yet' - but if we wait for scientific certainty we will be waiting for years.
You'll be waiting the rest of your life to hear from scientists on what is safe or not, what you can and can't do, etc. Some of us just can't live behind the life of a scientist. There's a certain aspect that makes us feel alive when we are in control and take a little chance here and there.

If we treated everything like we do covid, this would be the case. No one would ever live again.
Fitch
AG
Keegan99 said:

Marissa99 said:

I'm with you on this. I truly feel like we're rounding the corner.

I actually would have been on board if Abbott had outlined a plan to re-open in line with guidance from health officials. Now that more people are getting vaccinated, I would've been on board with hearing a plan that was more thoughtful instead of what seemed like a hastily made decision.

I truly think we would've been in a position to potentially fully re-open in June especially with scaled up vaccinations. But now, I'm not so sure...

Abbott had guidance from health officials. They just weren't the health officials with opinions you happen to agree with.
https://www.expressnews.com/news/legislature/article/As-he-lifted-Texas-mask-order-Gov-Abbott-15997923.php

Quote:

Gov. Greg Abbott did not consult Dr. John Hellerstedt, the commissioner of the Department of State Health Services, before deciding to end the statewide mask mandate, Hellerstedt told state representatives on Wednesday.

"I did not have a personal conversation with him prior to the decision," Hellerstedt testified during a hearing before the state House's committee on public health.
It now appears that the governor consulted only one of his four COVID health advisers on rescinding the mask mandate before making the announcement Tuesday afternoon in Lubbock. That team, named at the start of the pandemic, includes Hellerstedt and three public health experts two of whom told the Dallas Morning News on Tuesday that they had not been involved in the decision.

Only one adviser, Dr. John Zerwas, said he agreed with the policy change as Texas' COVID numbers improve. Zerwas is a vice chancellor for health affairs at the University of Texas System and a former GOP state representative.

Renae Eze, a spokeswoman for the governor, said Abbott "speaks regularly with Dr. Hellerstedt and Dr. Zerwas, along with others in the medical community, regarding yesterday's announcement."

"All were in agreement that Texans should continue following medical advice and safe standards on preventing COVID-19 to protect themselves and their loved ones, just like they do on other medical issues," Eze said in an email. "As the governor mentioned yesterday, COVID-19 has not suddenly disappeared. Removing state mandates does not end personal responsibility or the importance of caring for family members, friends, and your community."

The two other members of Abbott's health advisory team are Dr. Peter Hudson, an assistant professor of internal medicine and infectious diseases at Dell Medical School at the University of Texas at Austin; and Mark McClellan, the director of the Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy at Duke University. Both told the News they were not consulted.

In his Wednesday testimony, Hellerstedt stressed that individuals can and should still make the personal decision to wear a mask. He also encouraged school districts to continue requiring masks on campus.

"Should you wear a mask? The answer is absolutely yes," Hellerstedt said. "Does the governor want people to wear a mask and take their own responsibility to do it? The answer, I believe, is yes. The difference is, is government going to make people wear a mask? And that's where I believe the governor has stated his position yesterday."
Keegan99
AG
So, like I said, he consulted with health officials. Thanks for the confirmation.
t - cam
AG
Fitch said:

Keegan99 said:

Marissa99 said:

I'm with you on this. I truly feel like we're rounding the corner.

I actually would have been on board if Abbott had outlined a plan to re-open in line with guidance from health officials. Now that more people are getting vaccinated, I would've been on board with hearing a plan that was more thoughtful instead of what seemed like a hastily made decision.

I truly think we would've been in a position to potentially fully re-open in June especially with scaled up vaccinations. But now, I'm not so sure...

Abbott had guidance from health officials. They just weren't the health officials with opinions you happen to agree with.
https://www.expressnews.com/news/legislature/article/As-he-lifted-Texas-mask-order-Gov-Abbott-15997923.php

Quote:

Gov. Greg Abbott did not consult Dr. John Hellerstedt, the commissioner of the Department of State Health Services, before deciding to end the statewide mask mandate, Hellerstedt told state representatives on Wednesday.

"I did not have a personal conversation with him prior to the decision," Hellerstedt testified during a hearing before the state House's committee on public health.
It now appears that the governor consulted only one of his four COVID health advisers on rescinding the mask mandate before making the announcement Tuesday afternoon in Lubbock. That team, named at the start of the pandemic, includes Hellerstedt and three public health experts two of whom told the Dallas Morning News on Tuesday that they had not been involved in the decision.

Only one adviser, Dr. John Zerwas, said he agreed with the policy change as Texas' COVID numbers improve. Zerwas is a vice chancellor for health affairs at the University of Texas System and a former GOP state representative.

Renae Eze, a spokeswoman for the governor, said Abbott "speaks regularly with Dr. Hellerstedt and Dr. Zerwas, along with others in the medical community, regarding yesterday's announcement."

"All were in agreement that Texans should continue following medical advice and safe standards on preventing COVID-19 to protect themselves and their loved ones, just like they do on other medical issues," Eze said in an email. "As the governor mentioned yesterday, COVID-19 has not suddenly disappeared. Removing state mandates does not end personal responsibility or the importance of caring for family members, friends, and your community."

The two other members of Abbott's health advisory team are Dr. Peter Hudson, an assistant professor of internal medicine and infectious diseases at Dell Medical School at the University of Texas at Austin; and Mark McClellan, the director of the Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy at Duke University. Both told the News they were not consulted.

In his Wednesday testimony, Hellerstedt stressed that individuals can and should still make the personal decision to wear a mask. He also encouraged school districts to continue requiring masks on campus.

"Should you wear a mask? The answer is absolutely yes," Hellerstedt said. "Does the governor want people to wear a mask and take their own responsibility to do it? The answer, I believe, is yes. The difference is, is government going to make people wear a mask? And that's where I believe the governor has stated his position yesterday."

What was the point of even putting the group together in the first place?
My problem is if he believed that mandates were ever necessary than he did not give sufficient evidence for why they aren't now. I honestly am ok with removing the mandates and advising myself but it just seems like he needed a political boost after the botched winter storm. I know many of you are happy the mandates have been lifted which is cool because you never wanted them. I think he would have gotten the same level of good will from his voter base had he come out and laid out a plan that said something like once we feel comfortable that the vaccine is made available to the highest risk population we will start rolling back our mandates.

Gilligan
AG
Makes you wonder what the mods are looking for to delete posts?

...or what is setting Karen / Brad off to flag a post. Not that it takes much.

Had a post deleted from within two hours ago.
agsalaska
AG
Rubble said:

ETFan said:

Oh well I guess.

I don't know anyone who has died of COVID. I know of several people whom I've met at some point in my life that died from other things that were possibly caused by COVID, however. Not one person that I know or am connected through another person has died strictly from COVID. You're wording is of death of COVID is misconstrued, in my opinion.

I can also count on both hands with a couple of fingers left the number of people I personally know who've tested positive of COVID.

Maybe I'm lucky, or naive, but then again, I've been stuck at home with my kids for a year with no babysitters to let us get a break. Next week we'll get that break when my parents will come babysit because they've had both of their shots.

**** this ***** I'm ready to move on

I find that argument silly. My mother died three months after she caught Covid. The day she died she was covid negative, but she would most likely be sitting in her chair talking on the phone right now if she never caught Covid.

Of all the arguments out there, that one is the most irritating and pointless.

Capitol Ag
AG
As I've had a few days to let things sink in, there is something that seems true to me. Whether we rip the band aid off now, in 3 months or next year, at some point the band aid will have to be ripped off. Further, many will not be comfortable regardless of when that band aid come off.

Officially, this was always about hospitals. Officially. But many leaders also have made it about human suffering and eliminating spread and infection. If you're argument is to wait to go 100% and maskless is that we could see a spike still that will overwhelm the healthcare system, you may have a point. But, if your argument is about limiting spread and infection/suffering only, you probably are only going to be happy with us riding out the restrictions and mandates until the virus is totally gone, which may never happen. Obviously many will fall in the middle but my point is that a lot will still favor some level of restriction possibly forever while others never wanted any level of restrictions. The debate will go on in perpetuity I think. I personally am glad we are back to deciding on our own. I am going to mask for now, but talk to me in 2-3 weeks once my 2nd dose from Tuesday is fully operational. I might pull a few "Elliot Ness" moments (the scene at the end when he's asked what will he do now that prohibition is over, "I think I'll have a drink") and enjoy being out without a mask on. I do hate wearing them, and I feel personally that if one is fully vaccinated, they just cannot spread enough viral load to make others sick. I think science will show this to be true. Maybe not every time but yes, I'll be honest, there will be times I just do not wear one.
t - cam
AG
Capitol Ag said:

As I've had a few days to let things sink in, there is something that seems true to me. Whether we rip the band aid off now, in 3 months or next year, at some point the band aid will have to be ripped off. Further, many will not be comfortable regardless of when that band aid come off.

Officially, this was always about hospitals. Officially. But many leaders also have made it about human suffering and eliminating spread and infection. If you're argument is to wait to go 100% and maskless is that we could see a spike still that will overwhelm the healthcare system, you may have a point. But, if your argument is about limiting spread and infection/suffering only, you probably are only going to be happy with us riding out the restrictions and mandates until the virus is totally gone, which may never happen. Obviously many will fall in the middle but my point is that a lot will still favor some level of restriction possibly forever while others never wanted any level of restrictions. The debate will go on in perpetuity I think. I personally am glad we are back to deciding on our own. I am going to mask for now, but talk to me in 2-3 weeks once my 2nd dose from Tuesday is fully operational. I might pull a few "Elliot Ness" moments (the scene at the end when he's asked what will he do now that prohibition is over, "I think I'll have a drink") and enjoy being out without a mask on. I do hate wearing them, and I feel personally that if one is fully vaccinated, they just cannot spread enough viral load to make others sick. I think science will show this to be true. Maybe not every time but yes, I'll be honest, there will be times I just do not wear one.

Very good post.

88planoAg
AG
beerad12man said:

88planoAg said:

You'll be waiting the rest of your life to hear from scientists on what is safe or not, what you can and can't do, etc. Some of us just can't live behind the life of a scientist. There's a certain aspect that makes us feel alive when we are in control and take a little chance here and there.

If we treated everything like we do covid, this would be the case. No one would ever live again.
I agree. I assume you copied my post because you agree with what I said, that we cannot wait for scientific certainty. See bold.
beerad12man
AG
Yes, just adding to it. It won't be years. It would be the rest of your life, waiting to hear back from people on what you can and can't do.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

"Should you wear a mask? The answer is absolutely yes," Hellerstedt said.

This is absolutely unsupported by decades of peer reviewedscientific research and unconfirmed by worldwide data analyses.

My POV is that masking is one of the biggest frauds ever perpetuated upon society.
Fitch
AG
cecil77 said:

Quote:

"Should you wear a mask? The answer is absolutely yes," Hellerstedt said.

This is absolutely unsupported by decades of peer reviewed scientific research and unconfirmed by worldwide data analyses.

My POV is that masking is one of the biggest frauds ever perpetuated upon society.

With respect, the body of medical professionals across the world would disagree.
Keegan99
AG
Plenty disagree. And the consensus as late as January 2020 was that masks are ineffective.

And now that consensus has changed, yet no one can provide evidence that they're effective. We have countless real-world experiments over the last year, and there is no clear-cut evidence that they work. There is plenty of evidence that they don't.

It was to the point that the "scientific community" made tremendous efforts to prevent the publication of the Danish mask study. Why? Because the results did not support mask usage. (So much for the unbiased pursuit of truth,eh? Just fight to silence the research that has outcomes you don't like...)

Then after publication, the LA Times sat down, figured out how to spin it, and ran with this freight train of propaganda.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.