Is Abbott lifting the state wide mask mandate today?

66,542 Views | 703 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Captain Pablo
t - cam
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
beerad12man said:

t - cam said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Okay. But where are the studies that show masks are effective with daily use by the general population?

The cdc and others have estimated mask compliance is at least 85%. Where are the results?

Google provides plenty of studies and articles that claim they help. I'm sure I can find the inverse just as easily.
For me the idea of a masks working is mostly from common sense. If I sneeze or cough, I don't have to bend my mind very much to visualize how a face covering would keep my germs to my self, at least to some extent.
You didn't answer his question.

The mask mandates have zero data to show they work with community spread. Ie, actually helping prevent the hospitals from being overwhelmed, which is what this was supposed to be about.

I'm not going to play the wild goose chase game as I know I won't be able post information you agree with. Again, you can find studies online that support this idea.

GAC06
AG
No one can spot on case graphs where mask mandates were implemented or repealed. You largely can't tell the difference between case graphs of restrictive vs open states. About the only common theme was seasonality. Masks are a feel-good measure to make people feel they're helping.
beerad12man
AG
Found them. Read the same ones you have. For months on this subject, actually.

None account for human behavior and common sense real world. Making the public policy of enforcing them all but useless, and the data online you can google to quickly show that.

Now, just that a covering over your face could potentially block viral particles. Well duh. I didn't need articles to know that. If that's enough for you to change your culture, go for it. It isn't for me. I want verifiable data that they make a noticeable difference in communal spread. I haven't seen it.
t - cam
AG
beerad12man said:

Found them. Read the same ones you have. For months on this subject, actually.

None account for human behavior and common sense real world. Making the public policy of enforcing them all but useless, and the data online you can google to quickly show that.

Now, just that a covering over your face could potentially block viral particles. Well duh. I didn't need articles to know that. If that's enough for you to change your culture, go for it. It isn't for me. I want verifiable data that they make a noticeable difference in communal spread. I haven't seen it.

Yeah, I don't want to engage in trying to convince you otherwise. I go back and forth on what is right over this ordeal almost daily. Just highlighting how I view it.

agforlife97
AG
t - cam said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Okay. But where are the studies that show masks are effective with daily use by the general population?

The cdc and others have estimated mask compliance is at least 85%. Where are the results?

Google provides plenty of studies and articles that claim they help. I'm sure I can find the inverse just as easily.
For me the idea of a masks working is mostly from common sense. If I sneeze or cough, I don't have to bend my mind very much to visualize how a face covering would keep my germs to my self, at least to some extent.
But can asymptomatic people even spread covid? That question doesn't even seem to have been answered. The answer appears to be no for other viruses.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

cecil, I agree with you, but if you think our Supreme Court is going to rule that the government is over-extending its power during a pandemic by health mandates then I think you are probably going to be disappointed. There will be an outlier or two (Thomas, Alito, maybe Barrett, need to see more of her rulings) but in general we have too many on the court that are willing to cede freedoms to government, especially in cases of emergency like this.

Perhaps, but I think this SCOTUS may support limits, especially open ended time ones.

And I do expect some red state legislatures to remove the power from executives, which they can absolutely do.
aTm2004
AG
t - cam said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I was at an event last night where I had to wear a mask, and each time I breathed out, I saw my breath due to the cold. All the mask did was redirect where the air went, but it still filled the area around me.
I Am A Critic
aTm2004 said:

t - cam said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I was at an event last night where I had to wear a mask, and each time I breathed out, I saw my breath due to the cold. All the mask did was redirect where the air went, but it still filled the area around me.

And a portion of the vapor you exhaled was contained by the mask. That's why they're worn.
Teslag
AG
I Am A Critic said:

aTm2004 said:

t - cam said:

Agthatbuilds said:

And a portion of the vapor you exhaled was contained by the mask. That's why they're worn.

Not anymore they're not.
Beat40
I Am A Critic said:

aTm2004 said:

t - cam said:

Agthatbuilds said:

And yet if a portion is still hanging around in the air, those droplets can still be inhaled by someone else.

That's why the question is truly how effective they are. You're not even taking into account particle size, which if I'm remembering correctly from the beginning of all of this, the particle size for COVID-19 is much smaller than what a cloth mask can block, so the cloth mask was only 50% effective at blocking that particle size.

50% still leads to spread.

So, I think cloth masks absolutely can help reduce risk of spread and possibly slow down spread, but logically, cloth masks don't stop spread.
aTm2004
AG
Knucklesammich said:

aTm2004 said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

I was finally going to go to the grocery store for the first time in a year. Now not so sure. Will have to see if others grant me social distance and at least the store people continue to mask. I have had both shots, but they are only 95 percent effective. I am high risk.

As my dad said last year when he invited us over...what kind of life can you live if you don't live?

My mom and dad got their second shots three or so weeks ago. My mom put a star in the calendar for the two week mark after that second shot. She texted us all and said masks and social distance rules no longer applied at their house.

My son stayed at her house that night. It was the happiest I think I had ever seen her.

They're both 75. He has bone cancer and she has mild COPD from 25+ years of smoking.

Everyone makes their own choices of course, but the fact that the vaccines are virtually 100% at preventing severe COVID met their requirements for living.

Fear can be healthy, it keeps us from doing stupid things, but fear run un-checked is dangerous as it keeps us from doing healthy things...we are tribal/social we need that interaction.
So, let me make sure I understand what you're saying...your parents are not only in the highest risk age group, but they also have medical issues that compound that, so y'all made the decision to do what y'all felt was best? That's exactly how it should work. We do not need the government to mandate others do anything special in order to help your parents. Others do not need to change their lifestyle or be forced to do something in order to help your parents. It's a cold take, but that's reality. The precautions they need/should take are much different than a healthy 28 year old, or the young family who wants to fly somewhere for vacation without fear of getting thrown off the plane because their 2 year old won't wear a mask. Those precautions are on you, not me or anyone else.

And in all honesty, if I'm in my mid-70's, there's not a chance in hell I'd hole myself up for one of my few remaining years on earth. My dad's attitude is right. He's 66 and estimates he may have about 5 good years left before he's making frequent trips to the doctor or will have issues getting around, and he'll tell you flat out that he'd prefer to die at 68 living his life vs 70 and holing up trying to add time.
t - cam
AG
Good news!!! All school personnel will become immediately eligible for available vaccines. That was something they needed to do if lifting mandates.

t - cam
AG
aTm2004 said:

Knucklesammich said:

aTm2004 said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

I was finally going to go to the grocery store for the first time in a year. Now not so sure. Will have to see if others grant me social distance and at least the store people continue to mask. I have had both shots, but they are only 95 percent effective. I am high risk.

As my dad said last year when he invited us over...what kind of life can you live if you don't live?

My mom and dad got their second shots three or so weeks ago. My mom put a star in the calendar for the two week mark after that second shot. She texted us all and said masks and social distance rules no longer applied at their house.

My son stayed at her house that night. It was the happiest I think I had ever seen her.

They're both 75. He has bone cancer and she has mild COPD from 25+ years of smoking.

Everyone makes their own choices of course, but the fact that the vaccines are virtually 100% at preventing severe COVID met their requirements for living.

Fear can be healthy, it keeps us from doing stupid things, but fear run un-checked is dangerous as it keeps us from doing healthy things...we are tribal/social we need that interaction.
So, let me make sure I understand what you're saying...your parents are not only in the highest risk age group, but they also have medical issues that compound that, so y'all made the decision to do what y'all felt was best? That's exactly how it should work. We do not need the government to mandate others do anything special in order to help your parents. Others do not need to change their lifestyle or be forced to do something in order to help your parents. It's a cold take, but that's reality. The precautions they need/should take are much different than a healthy 28 year old, or the young family who wants to fly somewhere for vacation without fear of getting thrown off the plane because their 2 year old won't wear a mask. Those precautions are on you, not me or anyone else.

And in all honesty, if I'm in my mid-70's, there's not a chance in hell I'd hole myself up for one of my few remaining years on earth. My dad's attitude is right. He's 66 and estimates he may have about 5 good years left before he's making frequent trips to the doctor or will have issues getting around, and he'll tell you flat out that he'd prefer to die at 68 living his life vs 70 and holing up trying to add time.

I'd probably feel the same but doubt that would be true of everyone.

jamey
AG
Obviously masks don't stop the spread, nothing does and nobody ever said it does. It reduces spread, just like every other measure from social distancing to vaccines. It reduces the spread.

Furthermore masks can reduce the viral load if infected which has an impact on the severity of illness
Cassius
wbt5845 said:

Fitch said:

Girlfriend watched a starbucks barista get berated this morning after asking a customer to put on a mask, so this will be a fun couple of weeks it looks like.

Heaven forbid someone working customer service would have to interact with a customer.
Cassius
cecil77 said:

And I'm happy about Abbott rescinding something he had no right to do in the first place.

Truly frightening that Gov/county judges/mayors can shut down business and dictate personal behaviors by executive fiat.

I truly hope that over the next several years there are thousands of lawsuits around the country and that eventually the SCOTUS definitively rules the petty tyrants can behave so.

Prexys Moon
AG
I'm as thrilled as anybody about the events of yesterday regarding restrictions and mandates.

But lets all reflect on how far we have moved away from freedom and the values that the United States was founded on. Today we had the governor of a conservative , southern state tell the citizens that "you may now operate your business at 100 percent". We all cheered and rejoiced....as if that was a perfectly legitimate thing to be taken away in the first place.

The founders would shudder at that even being something that could happen. With one stroke of his pen, the Texas governor closed businesses and put kids out of school for 2 and a half months. Our small town has a restaurant on our town square that closed, and is still closed. We know the owners and they were crushed. My barber was crushed by the ongoing "I'll let you know when you can open back up" line from Abbott. For almost a YEAR, we have been waiting for each "announcement" where we learn what freedoms are being given back to us. It's straight out of Hunger Games.

It's like the thief who breaks into your house and steals everything...and comes back a year later with all your stuff and wants you to congratulate him on bringing it all back. Today, the thief brought our stuff back. I'm glad, but I wish I could put the thief in prison.

aTm2004
AG
Fitch said:

Girlfriend watched a starbucks barista get berated this morning after asking a customer to put on a mask, so this will be a fun couple of weeks it looks like.

At least the barista is getting a chance to out her Psychology degree to use.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

FIFY

And a portion of the vapor you exhaled was temporarily contained by the mask.

Any virions entrained in the water droplet don't just disappear. At some point they are expelled through the mask. That's what makes unnecessary wearing (outdoors, by yourself, etc) abject lunacy. All that does is collect virions for later distribution.

There is just NO science. None. Behind general public masking. And now, a year later, there's no statistical evidence either.

wbt5845
AG
Texas Rangers to open season at full capacity!
n_touch
Was the meme with the whole mask theory of taking two months to teach a habit with fear or something like that? Looking for it if someone know where to find it.
agforlife97
AG
jamey said:

Obviously masks don't stop the spread, nothing does and nobody ever said it does. It reduces spread, just like every other measure from social distancing to vaccines. It reduces the spread.

Furthermore masks can reduce the viral load if infected which has an impact on the severity of illness
Is there unequivocal scientific support for this view? If so, seems odd that this is the first time we've done a mask mandate in the US considering all the pandemics we've been through.
2PacShakur
AG
My previous comment was deleted but the responses in this thread just iterate the point I was making. We're not as pro-life as we may think we are when people turn a simple mask into a burden like Sisyphus with his rock. I thought all lives mattered, but apparently we can dismiss a few so we won't be inconvenienced with a mask.
PatAg
AG
agforlife97 said:

jamey said:

Is there unequivocal scientific support for this view? If so, seems odd that this is the first time we've done a mask mandate in the US considering all the pandemics we've been through.
All the pandemics?
Dad
AG
jamey said:

Then you should wear one. Everyone should do what they want. Get the vaccine or don't. Wear a face diaper in the grocery store or don't. Do neither and take risks and take your chances with Covid if you want.

I got the vaccine which is better than wearing multiple face diapers as far as my risk of dying from Covid or getting Covid in the first place. Now I won't wear masks in the grocery store because it is pointless.
Mr. Lahey
AG
2PacShakur said:

My previous comment was deleted but the responses in this thread just iterate the point I was making. We're not as pro-life as we may think we are when people turn a simple mask into a burden like Sisyphus with his rock. I thought all lives mattered, but apparently we can dismiss a few so we won't be inconvenienced with a mask.

Nice straw man....
Agthatbuilds
t - cam said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Please, point to the study. I'm not saying it doesnt exist. I just havent read one yet.

Every study ive seen says mask can be beneficial, so long as some other factors are followed. Those other factors are: type of mask, fit of mask, cleanliness of mask, use of mask, etc. Absent of those factors being up to par, masks dont do too much and might make it so your are increasing your viral load.

Further, mask compliance has been high per the nyt and cdc and some others. If that fact is indeed accurate, then it should follow that the virus would have been mitigated to some extent.

But that isnt what happened. So, in the end, what did mask do except become a political wedge?
t - cam
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

t - cam said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Please, point to the study. I'm not saying it doesnt exist. I just havent read one yet.

Every study ive seen says mask can be beneficial, so long as some other factors are followed. Those other factors are: type of mask, fit of mask, cleanliness of mask, use of mask, etc. Absent of those factors being up to par, masks dont do too much and might make it so your are increasing your viral load.

Further, mask compliance has been high per the nyt and cdc and some others. If that fact is indeed accurate, then it should follow that the virus would have been mitigated to some extent.

But that isnt what happened. So, in the end, what did mask do except become a political wedge?

Is there proof that the spread wasn't mitigated? You said compliance was pretty high, Which makes it almost impossible to tell how effective it was because we don't know what the spread would have been without it.

agforlife97
AG
PatAg said:

agforlife97 said:

jamey said:

All the pandemics?
There were 3 flu pandemics in the 20th century, the most recent of which was 1968.
Agthatbuilds
One would assume that if mask worked to slow the spread well, we wouldn't have 500000 dead and millions infected or that strict vs more lax states/countries would have had noticeably different statistics.

I cant prove a negative. Maybe you're right and masks kept this thing from being even more impactful. Anecdotally, i dont see it. People do not behave in the way to make masks a worthy tool.
JP_Losman
AG
Sweet. Where did you see that announcement?
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
OEag11 said:

2PacShakur said:

Nice straw man....

And....still a very poor analogy as I already pointed out upon your first time posting.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

But lets all reflect on how far we have moved away from freedom and the values that the United States was founded on. Today we had the governor of a conservative , southern state tell the citizens that "you may now operate your business at 100 percent". We all cheered and rejoiced....as if that was a perfectly legitimate thing to be taken away in the first place.
We have 200 years of legal precedent backed by the Supreme Court for state measures to combat public health issues. We have countless instance of the types of quarantines we have witness throughout U.S. History and even Texas history. Courts were re-affirming these state powers as recently as the 2014 Ebola Outbreak.

We shouldn't invent an alternate and fictitious history and then use that fantasy land for political debate. The rules have nearly always been the same. The legitimacy of their application is probably a more fertile topic for discussion.

wbt5845
AG
JP_Losman said:

Sweet. Where did you see that announcement?

My source inside the organization
Justin2010
AG
t - cam said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Why aren't you coughing or sneezing into your elbow?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.