Reaching capacity in the upper RGV

40,394 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PJYoung
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is what is wrong with Twitter... People post crap like this and everyone eats it all up and never fact checks anything. By time it has spread to the masses, the damage is irreversible.

Why would a video like this not be on EVERY news outlet in the country, were it true? Wake up, people...
Gordo14
ttha_aggie_09 said:

This is what is wrong with Twitter... People post crap like this and everyone eats it all up and never fact checks anything. By time it has spread to the masses, the damage is irreversible.

Why would a video like this not be on EVERY news outlet in the country, were it true? Wake up, people...

That goes both ways... Lots of people pretending this is still not a big deal because of what they read on twitter. **** that's where my friend's friend tested positive for coronavirus and didn't even take the test comes from. Furthermore, the video could be too recent to have hit the news cycle and people will still find a way to attempt to discredit it.

While the video may or may not be from McAllen, the truth is the healthcare system in RGV is stretched to the brink. Does it really matter if that video is of McAllen's hospital? The visuals would only force you to accept what you already know is true. It doesn't change the fact conditions are dire there.
AggieBiker
AG
Gordo14 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

That goes both ways... Lots of people pretending this is still not a big deal because of what they read on twitter. **** that's where my friend's friend tested positive for coronavirus and didn't even take the test comes from. Furthermore, the video could be too recent to have hit the news cycle and people will still find a way to attempt to discredit it.

While the video may or may not be from McAllen, the truth is the healthcare system in RGV is stretched to the brink. Does it really matter if that video is of McAllen's hospital? The visuals would only force you to accept what you already know is true. It doesn't change the fact conditions are dire there.
No, truth only matters if it fits your desired narrative. I guess in this case it didn't for you.
J. Walter Weatherman
Gordo14 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Wow. Yes of course it matters if the video is from McCallen's hospital. Or else it's, you know, a complete and total fabrication.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Gordo14 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Yes, it absolutely matters where the video came from. Is that a serious question?

Remember the videos from Italy that the news was trying to pass off as NYC? Why haven't we seen those type of videos here?

I understand the hospital system is heavily taxed, particularly in the valley. I am not here as a COVID denier. I want answers and I want the truth. I am not trying to discredit anything that isn't truthful. I look at the COVID data almost every single day as it is reported and combine that with what is being reported. It is extremely hard to get the truth when everyone is spewing rumors all over social media and none of the information is vetted (both ways).
cone
AG
yeah it does kind of matter where the video is from
SirLurksALot
Gordo14 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Conditions are bad temporarily, but the region will recover quicker and with less lasting effects from the virus than they will from the self inflicted damage of the restrictions that have been put in place.

The quicker everyone catches the disease and gets over it the quicker we can return to normal. I'd much rather hospitals be temporarily over capacity than to have restrictions in place for months or years until a vaccine is readily available.
Charpie
AG
Enough with the dramatics about the video. That's not the point and this isn't 16!
Charpie
AG
I'm sorry. I'd rather have my friends parents alive. I'd rather have my brother in law and cousins in law healthy and not super sick like they are now. This thread is about what's going on in the RGV, not for you to say what you want.
ancientag67
Don't know about the video, but DHR has some serious issues. Hope they are investigated and soon.
Charpie
AG
ancientag67 said:

Don't know about the video, but DHR has some serious issues. Hope they are investigated and soon.

They are the absolute worst. I wouldn't send my worst enemy there.
RGV AG
AG
Charpie said:

ancientag67 said:

They are the absolute worst. I wouldn't send my worst enemy there.

Back on the thread for a bit, but won't talk about Covid. I would rather die of aggravated anal herpes that have my toenails cut at that Renaissance place.

They treated my dying mother terribly and treated us like cattle there, luckily I knew someone way up in the deal and they were able to intervene a little and it got bearable. We pulled my mom outta there as fast as we could.

That hospital is the reason that there can no longer be any others like it, doctor owned and billing the government. Puro valle tranza.
Charpie
AG
Same. My father died there. It was awful. When I threaten to sue based off of the treatment he got, they conveniently wrote off our 160K bill. That place is the absolute worst
PJYoung
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Link?

Same Twitter thread about DHR in McAllen but in one easier to read link:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1284950366744989696.html

I would love to see them face repercussions but I won't hold my breath.
Duncan Idaho
Jesus ****. I couldn't make it through that
Flexbone
Charpie said:

I'm sorry. I'd rather have my friends parents alive. I'd rather have my brother in law and cousins in law healthy and not super sick like they are now. This thread is about what's going on in the RGV, not for you to say what you want.
If they got sick from it now, they were going to later as well.
Charpie
AG
So will the rest of us? What an odd retort.
Charpie
AG
49 deaths in Hidalgo County. 15 dead in Cameron County
Keegan99
AG

This is awful.
Charpie
AG
Wait until the case reports from Cameron County catch up. They are three weeks behind.
reb,
AG
dashboard for hidalgo county https://hidalgocountytx-covid19.bitbucket.io/

its really annoying having to hunt down each and every one of these things
Not a Bot
AG
Charpie said:

Wait until the case reports from Cameron County catch up. They are three weeks behind.

True in several counties in South Texas. The highest death counts will be reported a few weeks after the actual peak in deaths. They apparently don't have the manpower to manually keep track of all these deaths as they are coming in and everything is piling up.
Charpie
AG
https://www.themonitor.com/2020/07/19/starr-county-form-ethics-committee-responsible-virus-resources/
PJYoung
AG
AgsMyDude
AG
LRGV has the 3rd most hospitalizations of all TX TSA areas.

Only 312 shy of DFW.

PJYoung
AG
PJYoung said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Link?

Same Twitter thread about DHR in McAllen but in one easier to read link:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1284950366744989696.html

I would love to see them face repercussions but I won't hold my breath.

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/07/22/canales-claims-egregious-conditions-local-hospital-still-unproven/

Quote:

Claims of impropriety regarding COVID-19 patients at Doctors Hospital at Renaissance in Edinburg have prompted a local lawmaker to look deeper into the matter, finding the hospital has denied the claims and is pledging to prove it.

The claims stem from a Twitter thread that includes screenshots of text messages from individuals claiming to work at the hospital and photos purportedly taken inside, including photos of individuals that appear to be patients.

The Tweet was circulated widely, reaching tens of thousands of people.

State Rep. Terry Canales says he reached out to DHR about the Tweet. According to Canales, the hospital said the claims were untrue and that they could provide evidence to show that.

"They said that they had seen the Tweet. They said that it was patently false. They assured me that it was not happening and that they were conducting an investigation into who this third party individual making these claims was," he said. "They did clarify to me that they would be responding and that they had, obviously, the ways and means to disprove and discredit and show that this was a false attack. So I'm waiting to see their response, and I have no reason to doubt them."

Asked about the claims Tuesday, DHR Board Chairman Dr. Carlos J. Cardenas declined to comment, but extended an invitation to The Monitor to report on conditions in the hospital in person.

"I'd like you to come and see for yourself," he said.
Charpie
AG
He should go. Go see the main hospital and the one across the street.
soto11
AG
I doubt anyone will seriously investigate Renaissance. They are too well connected on many levels. Or in valley terms - mordida.

They damn near killed my mom, if I hadn't been alerted by an anonymous nurse... Prescribed procedure and billing is their mantra. Whether you need the procedure or not.

I doubt they will face any repercussions, but by God they should. Profiting by abusing the system and those most vulnerable in our valley culture.

As my family says - renaissance doctors took the hypocritic oath instead of the Hippocratic oath.
HotardAg07
AG
The NYTimes had an article about hospitalizations in the US. They had the RGV as the highest hospitalizations per capita in the country right now, and third highest in the entire CV time frame, behind NY and NO at their respective peak.

NYC at it's peak had 144 patients per 100,000 pop in the hospital with 38 in ICU. It had increased 81% in a 2-week stretch.
NO at it's peak had 113/25 and had increased 188% in a two week stretch.
RGV currently at it's peak with 109/27 and has increased 37% in a two week stretch.
Corpus was next with 107/30

The flaw in the rankings is that they do not have local data for many states including Arizona.
Keegan99
AG
The more egregious flaw is that it assumes US hospitalizations are exclusively from the population that lives on the US side of the border.
SouthTex99
AG
I live in the RGV and I know many hospital admin from various hospitals around the Valley. There are a few Mexican nationals in the hospitalization counts but the great majority are local residents. There's no more % of foreign patients than there would be in any large city in the country.
Charpie
AG
Thanks for clearing that up.
Keegan99
AG
There are an estimated 1.5MM+ US citizens that reside in Mexico. Many just on the other side of the Rio Grande.
Charpie
AG
You know Keegan, you do realize that lots of us either currently live on the border, or have lived on the border. There are very few, if any, illegals that stay in the Valley. They literally cross and move on for jobs up north. Their destinations are usually Houston, Dallas or San Antonio. Now I know you continue to bring up Mexico as the reason for this spike. That simply isn't true. We know our people. We know that WE are truly to blame. The Mexicans that are coming over and staying in the Valley are coming to shop, grab their goods, and go home to Mexico.

So just stop with trying to pin this on Mexico. It simply isn't true.
SouthTex99
AG
I think the RGV is guilty of many things that exacerbate the hospitalization and death count. The tri-county area is poor, disproportionately obese, and disproportionately diabetic. I have been told the area is underserved medically, fewer MD's per capita than any area in the country. Hidalgo County by itself is reporting more daily deaths in the last 6 days than Harris County which is 5X the size. The area is tight-knit. You can shut down every business, every school and every govt building but families will gather and they will gather in numbers. It's part of the culture here. I think its a beautiful thing but in a pandemic it's a curse.

So feel free to critique the RGV, there's plenty there to do it. But you don't get to use illegal immigration on this one. These are full fledge Americans that are suffering on a New York scale.

By the way, I'm harsh in criticizing my own RGV home because I love it here. I think this place is what Southern California was in the early 1900's. As the decades go by the RGV will boom and become the next great Texas and great American success story. Young population, great weather, great food, beaches, people and culture. I think USMCA will double down on what NAFTA did for the upper Valley over the last 30 years and the sky is the limit. We need to protect this place.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.