Reaching capacity in the upper RGV

40,375 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PJYoung
AgsMyDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cone said:

the mass death event has started

we opened up too soon

We set measures for reopening safely and ignored just about all them until it was too late
Proposition Joe
Well we had some general guidelines on how/when to safely re-open, but ultimately decided to LEEEEEEEEROY JEEEEEENKINS it because chips and salsa.
cone
AG
we need to shut down again

it's the only way to prevent the mass death

the RGV needs to shut down
agsalaska
AG
So I am sold out on the social distancing thing preventing this disease from killing massive amounts of people. I would be real curious what is causing these kinds of episodes in Texas.

Seriously, everywhere I go I stay the **** away from people and they stay the **** away from me. I am assuming that has broken down in the Valley. Is that a correct assumption? Is it all coming from family units? If it is that is terrible.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
SouthTex99
AG
I think there are 3 camps of people in the RGV on COVID. I suspect it's the same elsewhere.

Camp 1 - Like you describe...stay away from me and you feel the same. We mutually agree to stay the heck away from each other. This is my camp...so far so good.

Camp 2 - These people do the right thing most of the time, but they might live in a multi-generational household (grandma/grandpa live with the family). They have large family gatherings on weekends (cousins/uncles/aunts) and the possibility that this is a bad idea never enters their mind. Lots of this in the RGV.

Camp 3 - These people do not own a mask, know about COVID, talk about COVID, laugh about COVID as they hop from destination to destination and even they are amazed they haven't contracted it yet. Heck some have contracted COVID and they are back to their old ways.

So for the RGV, I think we have a large number of people in "Camp 2"...maybe more than a normal share. We had a pretty safe run (relative) from March - May so maybe we let down our guard in June and here we are.
AgsMyDude
AG
I think that's pretty accurate outside of just RGV. Encompasses a good portion of TX really.
culdeus
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Well we had some general guidelines on how/when to safely re-open, but ultimately decided to LEEEEEEEEROY JEEEEEENKINS it because chips and salsa.

Tbf enchiladas suck even 5 minutes off the pass.
Charpie
AG
Damn now I want enchiladas
PJYoung
AG
Whataburger went to online ordering only here. No drive thru, no dine in.
Charpie
AG
PJYoung said:

Whataburger went to online ordering only here. No drive thru, no dine in.
That's some serious stuff.
AgsMyDude
AG
https://www.kiiitv.com/mobile/article/news/local/corpus-christi-officials-report-the-covid-19-related-death-of-six-week-old-infant/503-2124a1d4-1af2-46c4-b44e-7cecb3661457

6 week old gone in Corpus
agsalaska
AG
Two words.

Viral load.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Charpie
AG
Chatting with a reporter from the Valley. She says that they are at a point where they are considering sending patients to New York
PJYoung
AG
Duncan Idaho
Imagine the ripple effect when it takes 4-5 hours for an ambulance to make a turnaround
AgsMyDude
AG
AgsMyDude said:

https://www.kiiitv.com/mobile/article/news/local/corpus-christi-officials-report-the-covid-19-related-death-of-six-week-old-infant/503-2124a1d4-1af2-46c4-b44e-7cecb3661457

Article has been updated and updated now says it was SIDS
Squadron7
AG
cone said:

No. We know who it kills. Those at risk Or around those at risk need to act accordingly.
cone
AG
they clearly aren't tho
Onceaggie2.0
AgsMyDude said:

AgsMyDude said:

wow they ruled it initially a covid death?
Squadron7
AG
cone said:

they clearly aren't tho

Shutting down won't change that.
PJYoung
AG
Squadron7 said:

cone said:

No. We know who it kills. Those at risk Or around those at risk need to act accordingly.

When the hospitals are full it kills more than that.
cone
AG
should have kept it closed
SirLurksALot
PJYoung said:

Squadron7 said:

cone said:

It's still not enough to justify a lockdown.
AggieYankee1
SirLurksALot said:

PJYoung said:

Squadron7 said:

cone said:

What does in your mind? 200,000 dead? In 6 months - 300,000 - 1/2 million.

The prediction was to have 3000 dead in Texas by September first - now it is looking close to 10,000 more with people not getting care.

The only reason there will be another shut down is the pure arrogance, selfishness and stupidity of people.

This time rather than COVID just happening - now people are doing this to themselves.

Enjoy the 'denier' caused shut down. We know who to blame, now. Businesses knows who to blame and it ain't Abbott.
SirLurksALot
AggieYankee1 said:

SirLurksALot said:

PJYoung said:

Squadron7 said:

cone said:

What does in your mind? 200,000 dead? In 6 months - 300,000 - 1/2 million.

The prediction was to have 3000 dead in Texas by September first - now it is looking close to 10,000 more with people not getting care.

The only reason there will be another shut down is the pure arrogance, selfishness and stupidity of people.

This time rather than COVID just happening - now people are doing this to themselves.

Enjoy the 'denier' caused shut down. We know who to blame, now. Businesses knows who to blame and it ain't Abbott.

Given the extensive damage caused by the lockdowns vs the minimal impact of the deaths, anything short of 3 million Isn't worth it. It's more important to keep the country running for the 99% of people that will live.
AgsMyDude
AG
FPS_Dough said:

AgsMyDude said:

AgsMyDude said:

wow they ruled it initially a covid death?

Not just initially. It will stay that way.

Quote:

The infant died from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome more than one week after returning home from the hospital. Since the six-week-old infant was diagnosed with COVID-19, his death will count as a coronavirus-related death in Nueces County.
RGV AG
AG
There was no Covid in 2007 when my mother was dying of cancer and spent 3 hours waiting outside a McAllen hospital for a room, as it was full. As were the other two hospitals in McAllen at the same time. There was no media blitz nor constant bemoaning it. She ended up heavily sedated and back at home, we drove her to SA the next day to get a room and treatment.

At that time only Weslaco and Harlingen had hospital rooms and for her needs we took the decision to go to SA.

I don't know about now, but during the winter season when all the snow birds are here the RGV hospitals tend to fill up, obtaining a room is not a given.

The Covid situation is a bad one and hard to grasp, but it is not like it is without precedent in terms of treatment limitations. From all appearances this virus is going to have to "burn through" large numbers of the population to have a decrease. The type of mitigation that was seen in China will not be possible in the US, as that is what it would take to basically reach a standstill. And who truly knows what the real situation in China was and or is.

The US has a highly mobile and interactive society, that is just the nature of the beast and "shutting down" again might truly make the cure worse than the symptom.
AgsMyDude
AG
https://www.krgv.com/news/over-170-valley-doctors-send-letter-to-governor-urging-reinstatement-of-shelter-in-place-mandate/

Charpie
AG
My friend in on that task force. She's been pleading with people to be smart for months.

She's an Ag too
jenn96
AG
Can't the County Judge order a shelter in place?
Fitch
AG
No, Abbott removed those powers under a previous executive order. Local restrictions can't exceed the Governor's E.O.'s.
Fitch
AG
jenn96
AG
Thanks, remembered wrong.
AgsMyDude
AG
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/10/texas-starr-county-covid-19-model-greg-abbott
RGV AG
AG
I am friends with Joel Villareal the mayor of Rio Grande City, we went to opposing HS's and played sports against each other growing up, when we were younger we knew each other well. He married a girl from Rio and ended up there, he is a fine man, smart, capable and has a very rare quality in STX, he is honest. I trust him implicitly. But he is a politician right now and all politics are local.

I work on the Mexican side across from Rio Grande City, I am there everyday and during the initial panic was staying there several days a week. RGC and the Mexican side have a ton of interaction.

There are few bars in RGC, the movie theater never reopened and a bunch of stuff is still closed. There was very little testing being done in the RGV and RGC/Starr county might have had the least. Starr county at one time, and I don't know about now, had the highest per capita incidence of diabetes in the United States. The Tsips had an office there running studies and doing testing in the 90's.

The county is very poor and correctly to the articles point there is very limited health care there. Many people rely on Mexico, but the threat of border closing and restrictions coupled with the Mexican side wilting left a lot of people without access to doctors.

Early on in the Covid deal several BP and customs agents in Starr county tested positive, this was known because they were being tested. Equally, weeks ago something like 25 employees at the RGC hospital, out of about 100, tested positive for antibodies. The virus has been in and around this area, but there was little testing and not as much documenting going on. The drive through tests were very limited in number.

The other thing, and I mentioned this on another thread, is that after the stimulus checks and PPP money hit, folks flocked to Mexico to take advantage of the Peso weakening. No doubt that had a big impact in the spread, in both directions.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.