Reaching capacity in the upper RGV

40,378 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PJYoung
OldArmyBrent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgsMyDude said:

20 patient tent going up in Weslaco

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/07/04/tent-opens-er-facility-weslaco-adds-20-beds-staff-covid-19-patients/
This like all those field hospitals that were set up and never used the first time? And why are they blocking the ambulance entrance? Seems ridiculous.
AgsMyDude
AG
20 patient tent donated by the FD isn't exactly the same as a multimillion dollar field hospital.
Charpie
AG
My husbands uncle is in one of those ICU beds in. He's not likely to make it.

I love Uncle Dan. My mother in law already lost a brother in April. I can't imagine losing both of them in the same year
OldArmyBrent
AG
Loaned by the fire department, not donated. Confusing why they have something like that if it's not useful to them, but I digress. But yes, it's just like the multimillion dollar field hospital. If it doesn't get used, it's the same thing - just a waste of time, money, and effort. Time and effort could have been spent on other things that made outcomes better. Separately, if it somehow causes ambulances not to be able to access the emergency room as easily, it's causing more pain and worse outcomes. If the ambulance doesn't actually need the entrance, why are we spending any money or effort on that special entrance? #logicbomb
OldArmyBrent
AG
Who are you talking about? Did you respond to the wrong post? Because none of this makes sense as a response.
et98
AG
When did he rag on healthcare workers?
mazzag
AG
What is "pretell".
et98
AG
AggieYankee1 said:

Pretell what are the other things they should spend money on in your wise estimation?

Or maybe like Boy Scouts - It pays to be prepared.

It always shocks me whenever people just mindlessly rag on the health care workers and then turn around and scream be proud of America! Or else!

These people are doing the best they can in the worst of circumstances - they need a pat on the back a raise and some food - not to mention the grocery store workers and favor runners keeping the country from eating each other in the meat section.

Give them all a bonus and a break on their taxes. They are essential workers - time to treat them like it. Not some 30 year old Brat who gets daddy's credit card and Audi and calls themselves a 'boot strapper'
Perhaps you answered your own question?
Bobcat06
AG
AggieYankee1 said:

Pretell what are the other things they should spend money on in your wise estimation?

Not setting up the giant tent in the ambulance loading zone
Birdbear
AG
Seems to be many factors working against the Hispanic population with this thing. The Dallas stats are pretty wild:

Proposition Joe
The fact that some of you see 1 or 2 pictures in a news article and immediately assume the hospital isnt smart enough to know where to place something so as not to impede ambulance flow makes it obvious many of you think you are a whole lot smarter than you really are.

Outside of the doctors and nurses posting on this forum, id wager every single person involved in the placement of that structure knows a helluva lot more about where it should be than you do.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
So sorry to read that...yet so many think there is nothing to this...until it touches someone they love. If people would JUST wear the dang masks and social distance so many would stay healthy.
P.U.T.U
AG
Besides environmental factors (working blue collar jobs close to one another, multifamily homes) is there other reasons why the Hispanic population is getting so hard in comparison?
AgsMyDude
AG
OldArmyBrent said:

Loaned by the fire department, not donated. Confusing why they have something like that if it's not useful to them, but I digress. But yes, it's just like the multimillion dollar field hospital. If it doesn't get used, it's the same thing - just a waste of time, money, and effort. Time and effort could have been spent on other things that made outcomes better. Separately, if it somehow causes ambulances not to be able to access the emergency room as easily, it's causing more pain and worse outcomes. If the ambulance doesn't actually need the entrance, why are we spending any money or effort on that special entrance? #logicbomb

Loaned vs donated? You know exactly what I meant .... gtho with that. But, no, it's nothing like the multimillion dollar field hospital because the scales of " just a waste of time, money, and effort" aren't even close.

You keep pointing out the location over and over. Maybe they are moving it, maybe that entrance hasn't even been open for ambulances for months, etc. Pretty funny assertion they'll just be closing off their only ambulance entry location for this honestly.
PJYoung
AG

Charpie
AG
That makes my heart so happy!

PJ, you and your family take care of yourself! You too, RGVAG
PJYoung
AG
Add the lower valley now

Charpie
Charpie
AG
RGV AG
AG
Charpie said:

You too, RGVAG

Thank you and back atcha. But always remember, mala hierba nunca muere.
Charpie
BowSowy
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

So sorry to read that...yet so many think there is nothing to this...until it touches someone they love. If people would JUST wear the dang masks and social distance so many would stay healthy.
The vast majority of people are wearing masks, since it's now mandated by the state.
cityagboy
AG
BowSowy said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

The vast majority of people are wearing masks, since it's now mandated by the state.
was in Williamson County visiting my parents yesterday and I would say only slightly more than half of people had masks on. I ran some errands for them; picked up food at a restaurant, went to Walmart and a pharmacy for prescriptions.

But in Austin it's almost everyone.

Also agree it's much higher now than before the mandate
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I have a friend who will be a delegate at the Republican convention at Houston who refuses even now to wear a mask. She is almost daring them to try to give her a ticket. I hope she stays healthy through all the exposure at the convention. but her militant stance on this has but a real strain on our friendship.

It the mask directive helps, it will be a week at least before we see the numbers slow down.
Charpie
AG
SouthTex99
AG
Is that a result of the Bert Ogden arena testing? Cause if its not its going to continue to explode upwards with 5,000 free tests a day.
Charpie
AG
Could be. But didn't that testing center just open? And I know that Cameron County is sending folks to Bert Ogden.

Bert Ogden..I'm so old I remember when he would be the one who came out in the commercials.
SouthTex99
AG
Yes it just started yesterday. I doubt it includes those positives. We're going to see some 2,000-3,000 daily reports in the near future. Far more than anything we've seen to date.
Charpie
AG
I'm so very sorry. There are so many times I miss home. This isn't one of those times.

Please take care of yourself.
Forum Troll
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

I have a friend who will be a delegate at the Republican convention at Houston who refuses even now to wear a mask. She is almost daring them to try to give her a ticket. I hope she stays healthy through all the exposure at the convention. but her militant stance on this has but a real strain on our friendship.

It the mask directive helps, it will be a week at least before we see the numbers slow down.
Turner canceled it today.
PJYoung
AG
We've had 4 people die in their 20s and 5 in their 30s so far in Hidalgo County.

PJYoung
AG
Not the valley but...

cone
AG
the mass death event has started

we opened up too soon
Charpie
AG
They added 10 more to the death count tonight in Hidalgo County
RGV AG
AG
As bad or as trying as thenl situation might appear, the thing about the RGV that has to be remembered or considered is that it really is part of an MSA that is a little bigger than San Antonio.

The communication, even during these times of the supposed "closed border", between the Mexican side and the US is very large by numbers and trade. Just through Pharr every day except Sunday about 2000 trucks cross a day, that means 2,000 Mexican truck drivers come over every day, and they get diesel, eat a taco, talk to the customs, FDA, and DOT guys.

All the produce warehouses have folks from Mexico working in them and the Mexican agriculture folks are inspecting food exports going into Mexico. By some estimates there are between 6,000 to 10,000 people living on the US side that cross into Mexico and back everyday for work.

Rio Grande City has US and Mexican customs all together on the US side, co-mingling and working together.

So while the numbers are sad and concerning, the denominator is actually much higher for Hidalgo and Cameron counties and Starr is even higher. The numbers that are being seen should be expected given the true population figures and the demographic of the area. Something like this is what I expected in March or April, but instead the numbers were very low, and part of that was due to the ridiculously low number of tests being run on both the American and Mexican side.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.