Reaching capacity in the upper RGV

40,358 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PJYoung
BowSowy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RGV AG said:

The other thing, and I mentioned this on another thread, is that after the stimulus checks and PPP money hit, folks flocked to Mexico to take advantage of the Peso weakening.
Off topic, I know. But this bit of irony just made me laugh. Nothing better to stimulate your economy than send people money and have them go spend it in another country.
Charpie
AG
Looks like Franklin Graham is setting up field hospitals down there.
cityagboy
AG
Charpie said:

That's good! He's still a numbnut
RGV AG
AG
BowSowy said:

RGV AG said:

The other thing, and I mentioned this on another thread, is that after the stimulus checks and PPP money hit, folks flocked to Mexico to take advantage of the Peso weakening.
Off topic, I know. But this bit of irony just made me laugh. Nothing better to stimulate your economy than send people money and have them go spend it in another country.
Yeah, for sure. That is what I thought too. The ones who told me about this were the customs agents at the bridge, as the traffic at the bridges picked up quite a bit as soon as the mailed out checks started coming in to folks.

Also, a lot of people ended up taking their kids to family in Mexico for safe keeping when school let out, as they didn't have kid care in the US, I know several cases where this took place.

The south Texas area, no matter what many people think, has a bunch of interaction of families across the border and with the growth of the Mexican population in Texas, from across the state. Much more than it was in the 80's and 90's.
Goodbull_19
AG
cone said:

the mass death event has started

we opened up too soon
My question in the "we opened up too soon" line of reason... What else should we have done? To me, it seems as if what is happening now was destined to happen whenever we opened up. I could see that a more gradual approach would be more optimal, but it seems to be that is behavior focused more than policy. At the end of the day, what would delaying opening really do? Just that no opening would mean more of a slow burn than a fast and hot fire? Don't mean to be argumentative, I really would love to hear what I am missing here.
PJYoung
AG
The little 24 hour emergency clinic by our house had 33 positives in one day this weekend.

That blows me away. This virus is everywhere down here right now.

Hospitalizations might be leveling off - too soon to say for certain.
RGV AG
AG
I tell you one thing, the "Covid in the RGV 2020" situation proves that the virus ain't hindered by heat, that is for sure.

Hospitalizations went down yesterday by a slight bit, not something you will hear in the news. The one contact that I have at one of the hospitals, that will give me the gospel truth as he sees it, told me over the weekend that hospitalizations are up for sure, but that they are turning them over, discharging them in improved conditions, faster than in March in April in regard to Covid.

He has reiterrated that the virus hits some extremely hard and others hardly at all.
deadbq03
AG
Goodbull_19 said:

cone said:

we opened up too soon
My question in the "we opened up too soon" line of reason... What else should we have done? To me, it seems as if what is happening now was destined to happen whenever we opened up. I could see that a more gradual approach would be more optimal, but it seems to be that is behavior focused more than policy. At the end of the day, what would delaying opening really do? Just that no opening would mean more of a slow burn than a fast and hot fire? Don't mean to be argumentative, I really would love to hear what I am missing here.
The difference with a slow burn is that hospitals don't get maxed out and can provide better care, not only to Covid patients but also regular non-Covid ICU cases. It's why public health experts nearly unanimously want to flatten the curve.
Goodbull_19
AG
deadbq03 said:

Goodbull_19 said:

cone said:

we opened up too soon
The difference with a slow burn is that hospitals don't get maxed out and can provide better care, not only to Covid patients but also regular non-Covid ICU cases. It's why public health experts nearly unanimously want to flatten the curve.

Okay totally with you on a slow burn! Sometimes to me it just sounds like people are under some sort of impression that we can stop infections entirely (lower the tots area under the curve instead of just flattening) , and I just don't see how that can happen without basically tearing apart society.
PJYoung
AG
Charpie said:

Nope

Charpie
AG
Such BS

Btw, when I'm at a keyboard, I'll transcribe what my father in law experienced getting tested in Willacy County
PJYoung
AG
Duncan Idaho
Remember last year when we deployed the Gaurd for typical summer flu season?
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Goodbull_19 said:

deadbq03 said:

Goodbull_19 said:

cone said:

we opened up too soon

Okay totally with you on a slow burn! Sometimes to me it just sounds like people are under some sort of impression that we can stop infections entirely (lower the tots area under the curve instead of just flattening) , and I just don't see how that can happen without basically tearing apart society.
I totally agree with this line of thinking, but just one minor nuance correction, keeping the curve flat will likely also lower the area under it because either a vaccine comes out before we hit heard immunity and some some people never get it that would have, or we hit heard immunity and with a lower active case load when that happens you will overshoot heard immunity by a lesser amount. these are not the goals of "flatten the curve", and shouldn't be, just some tangential benefits worth considering.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
And as we get better at treatment,the chance of survival increases.
PJYoung
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Remember last year when we deployed the Guard for typical summer flu season?

Charpie
AG
My father in law took the gentleman that works with him to the free testing site in Willacy County earlier this week. This is what he observed

• No one in the facility was wearing masks other than a few patients.
  • The workers in the facility weren't wearing masks either.
  • They had 30 to 40 people in each area, with no social distancing going on.
  • When it was time to get tested, they sent them outside to produce flegm. So all these people are purposely coughing on each other.

He said to my husband afterwards, "Well, if I didn't have Covid when I went in there, I most certainly have been exposed to it now."

So whomever is running that testing site in Willacy County, **** you, you incompetent imbeciles.
RGV AG
AG
Basically what is happening across the US and in particular in the RGV is that the fear of this disease is going to destroy the wealth and well being that took generations to produce. The cancelling of schools, the shuttering of businesses, the handing out of everything from money to school lunches, the decrease in property values are going to haunt the US for decades and in particular poor ass areas like the RGV are gonna get hammered.

The politicians and some of the medical folks, many who are making big coin in this, are going to harm civil society in a big manner, all under the guise of "protection".

From todays McAllen monitor, there are 48 death notices, very high. Some stats about those deaths:
  • Average age: 68.74 years old
  • Percent of deaths under 50 years old 22%

The average life expectancy is 78 years old, the RGV tends to run under that due to the local health issues. I have heard it is about 4 years less in odd conversations.

So for a day, when all kinds of politicos and citizens panicked, the average death age was 6 years less than what is typically seen. There is no comfort in any death, and bless those souls that perished and their families, my heart goes out to them. There is nothing easy or good about this. But logically what we are seeing is that like many diseases the primary victims are older and sicker. My goodness, as terrible as that may be, it is the way of the world in all species.

I don't believe for a moment that the "lock down" in March and April prevented this type of outbreak, what I believe is that the virus was not as present in the local area and that many that were sick toughed it out a home and or didn't know that they had it.

This country is going to feed upon itself and then not be able to dig out from the financial ruin.
PJYoung
AG
In Hidalgo County:

RGV AG
AG
PJ:

Thanks for posting that, I really only look at old mainstream news sources.

The numbers that Hidalgo County is posting further bears out what I believe. I am not saying it is right or wrong just what I believe, in that this virus is going to attack the weakest and most susceptible and that is where deaths are gonna happen, in the majority.

15% of the deaths are below 50. That is terrible and tragic. But it is not worth, again my opinion, drastically harming the financial, mental, and societal, well being of a broad populace.
Aust Ag
AG
PJYoung said:

In Hidalgo County:

That's some number for the 0-19 age group....and I'm sure they won't open up schools there either.
Charpie
AG
They aren't.
RGV AG
AG
Oh hell no they aren't opening schools, they are looking for every reason to keep them closed.

No city parks, no city facilities, nada. And they never opened from the big lockdown. Rest of the State opened up and kids could go out and play and such. But hell to the no in the RGV. This has been handled terribly down here.
PJYoung
AG
Aust Ag said:

PJYoung said:

In Hidalgo County:

That's some number for the 0-19 age group....and I'm sure they won't open up schools there either.

I wouldn't want to be an older teacher or professor right now, thats for sure.
Squadron7
AG
PJYoung said:

Aust Ag said:

PJYoung said:

In Hidalgo County:

I wouldn't want to be an older teacher or professor right now, thats for sure.

School is for educating the young. It isn't a jobs program for teachers.
Charpie
AG
Because there are so many teachers out there just lined up to take those older teachers jobs
RGV AG
AG
There sure will be after so many folks lose their jobs. On a personal level I know three upper end professionals that recently got the axe after continued employment since college.

Pay enough and the law of supply and demand kicks in.
Squadron7
AG
Charpie said:

Because there are so many teachers out there just lined up to take those older teachers jobs

At least we won't be paying full fare for teachers while pretending that online teaching has value for any but a small fraction of students.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
You lose me at "let the old Americans die to preserve my fortune".
GAC06
AG
Is it because no one said that?
SirLurksALot
Thomas Ford 91 said:

Yeah I'm sure the millions currently unemployed have fortunes to be worries about.

You lose me at forcing suffering on millions for a plan to prolong the life of our sickest elderly by a few months or years. A plan which isn't even guaranteed to work.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
GAC06 said:

Is it because no one said that?

That's all RGV Ag is saying, just with more words. If I wasn't on a phone in bed, I'd break it down for you. Maybe tomorrow.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
SirLurksALot said:

Thomas Ford 91 said:

Yeah I'm sure the millions currently unemployed have fortunes to be worries about.

You lose me at forcing suffering on millions for a plan to prolong the life of our sickest elderly by a few months or years. A plan which isn't even guaranteed to work.

Nice raise. I'll push all in that old lives matter.
RGV AG
AG
Really? I am pretty shocked that you came up with that from what I posted. To infer that crass and simplistic view is erroneous based on my pointing out facts.

The realities, the stark and factually proven reality, are that this is going to be a virus that takes a large toll on the older and the infirm.

The manner in which the government, and many lemmings that believe in the government, at all levels , is going about dealing with this issue in a scatter shot "one size fits all" manner will not work. It is partially the reason that we are seeing what we are currently seeing. To dispute the economic damage being done to all segments of society is blindly naive.

When it is proven that "locking down" the country protects the elderly in a manner that doesnt affect the rest of society in a detrimental manner I will be glad to eat crow on my stance.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
If you want to suggest you weren't going full Dan Patrick in your post above, the best defense is to edit your post before I get up tomorrow.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.