Countdown to Aggie Baseball 2025

69,361 Views | 760 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by aggiewilliford
ensign_beedrill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

STATE HIGHWAY NO. 178
Minute Order #111116, dated 10/25/2007; DesLtr 4-2007, dated 12/19/2007
From IH 10 in El Paso, westward approximately 3.0 miles to the Texas/New Mexico State Line. (El Paso County)
https://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/SH/SH0178.htm

Check out that welcome to Texas sign in the background.
aggiewilliford
dabo man said:

Texas County Courthouses:
178 Nueces County, Corpus Christi, Texas

Am I going to jail or a bad la quinta...this courthouse is awful. The old one is beautiful.
Rongagin71
AG
I was working just a block from it when the new Nueces Courthouse was built.
They were excited that the walls contained coquina shells which gave a pink, rough appearance that probably wasn't worth the cost although I did like how it worked in the small water park attached to the courthouse.
trouble
AG
It looks like a hospital
Sea Pony 07
AG
I always kinda thought the old court house should have been remodeled as housing or offices.
aggiewilliford
Texas Historical Marker 177
LamarCalder House
Richmond, Texas

The land originally belonged to Jane Herbert Wilkinson Long, until it was passed on to Mirabeau B. Lamar, who built the Lamar Plantation. Lamar lived in another house which was later destroyed.

A new house was built between 1859-1861. It was designed in the Greek Revival architectural style. Lamar never lived in the house, as it was completed after his death, but his widow Henrietta Maffitt did. Their daughter Loretto Evalina and her husband, S. D. Calder, the son of public official Robert J. Calder, lived in the house with their four children until they sold it in 1900. The house was owned by the Hendee family from 1908 to 1996. It later belonged to Felix Tijerina's son.

The house has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since March 30, 2005.

aggiewilliford
You Had One Job 177

greg.w.h
AG
They clock on the radar gun in quarter mph fractions… no decimals…

Like this: 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8…and so forth. The trooper has to memorize using flash cards which are higher than 3/4 and this infracting when the mid of the speed is non-zero…
dabo man
AG
177 Nolan County, Sweetwater, Texas

greg.w.h
AG
Aww…Dad pastored there for for several years from last half of third grade for me through end of first semester of sixth. I can't say I recall going to that building. I wasn't old enough to go there for speeding tickets…

I saw a note on one site that the old courthouse was registered with the Texas historical building registry on 1975. I think the new courthouse was completed after we were leaving in early 1973…online notes say 1977. It was refurbished in 2013.

Old look: (their site doesn't use encryption…but safe to click.)

That site has two previous courthouses in fact:

http://www.254texascourthouses.net/064-nolan-county.html

Rongagin71
AG
greg.w.h said:

Like this: 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8…and so forth. The trooper has to memorize using flash cards which are higher than 3/4 and this infracting when the mid of the speed is non-zero…
It makes more sense to give the officers a little credit to use common sense, like if someone is going 1/4 mph over the limit, who cares? Usually, in Texas, one won't get a ticket unless 5mph over.
Did you notice the "beware of signs" sign in the background?
RED AG 98
AG
aggiewilliford said:

dabo man said:

178 Nueces County, Corpus Christi, Texas

Am I going to jail or a bad la quinta...this courthouse is awful. The old one is beautiful.
Can't be a La Quinta because I don't see a Denny's
Mr.Ackar07
Rongagin71 said:

greg.w.h said:

It makes more sense to give the officers a little credit to use common sense, like if someone is going 1/4 mph over the limit, who cares? Usually, in Texas, one won't get a ticket unless 5mph over.
That "speed limit sign" is also mounted on a wooden stake.
greg.w.h
AG
Rongagin71 said:

greg.w.h said:

I had an extensive conversation with a good friend who was California Highway Patrol (memorialized as CHiPs on the Erik Estrada led TV show) officer when I was in the late teens where he explained with terms like "should stop, must stop, should cite."

Another CHP officer mentioned pulling over a guy in a a brand new mustang doing 114 on an empty highway and merely warning him. But, yeah…that looks more like cart path than a road…
tamc93
AG
I have used uncommon "speed limit" signs on private roads/driveways before (e.g. 17 MPH), but never fractional. It was intentional to make drivers think about it since it is not common.
jkag89
Quote:

That "speed limit sign" is also mounted on a wooden stake.
Yep. While funny, I doubt the validity of more than a few of these "You had One Job" posts.
ensign_beedrill
AG

SH 177 was canceled in 1940 and changed to SS 93.
Quote:

STATE HIGHWAY LOOP NO. 177
Adm. Auth., dated 2-21-58; Adm. Ltr. 005-1978, dated 05/15/1978
From FM 350, southward and southeastward through Moscow to US 59. (Polk County)
https://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/SL/SL0177.htm

greg.w.h
AG
SH Loop 177 from 350 south to 59 shows neatly on mapping tools west/sw of Moscow. Take a look.
greg.w.h
AG
This was helpful as a resource: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_Texas_state_highways
aggiewilliford
Texas Historical Marker 176

The Jules Leffland House at 302 E. Convent in Victoria, Texas, United States, was built in 1900. It was a home of local architect Jules Leffland. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.

aggiewilliford
You Had One 176

Sea Pony 07
AG
I kind of feel proud of myself that I was able to solve that without a calculator
dabo man
AG
176 Newton County, Newton, Texas

aggiewilliford
Sea Pony 07 said:

I kind of feel proud of myself that I was able to solve that without a calculator

ensign_beedrill
AG

Quote:

STATE HIGHWAY NO. 176
Minute Order 090669, dated 08/29/1990; Adm. Ltr. 003-1990, dated 12/18/1990
From the Texas/New Mexico State Line eastward via Andrews to IH 20 at Big Spring, a distance of approximately 94.0 miles. (Andrews, Martin, and Howard Counties)
https://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/SH/SH0176.htm

ensign_beedrill
AG
Sea Pony 07 said:

Yes but did you also convert to MPH without one?
tamc93
AG
Still pissed that they forced the metric system on us.

That was the only question I missed since I did not have a metric system survey book with me. Had to convert it and reconvert to their answer and I probably left them a note accordingly.
StinkyPinky
AG
Just seemed like only yesterday we broke the 200 mark. I like how this pace is going. Especially when football starts things will go exponentially faster! Bring on the season!
greg.w.h
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

Sea Pony 07 said:

Yes but did you also convert to MPH without one?
convert 4*4*4 by this way. ((4*4)/1.6 km/mi))*4=10*4=40

Living in Indonesia for several years as a teen installed rule of thumb converters in my brain…
ensign_beedrill
AG
I'm unsure of what you're trying to say. State Highway Loop 177 is indeed what is pictured.
dabo man
AG
From life experience, I happen to know that 1 km = 0.621 miles. Useful to know what a speed limit 110 sign means when you're driving in Alberta!

The irony would be if the sign, which apparently is intended to make a road safer by making drivers think about their speed, instead caused a crash because of someone doing math in his head instead of paying attention to his driving.
aggiewilliford
Texas Historical Marker 175

LeviMoses House is a historic residential building in Dallas, Texas, U.S.. It was designed by architect H. A. Overbeck with elements of Italianate, Renaissance revival, and Prairie School styles. It is one of the few residences of the Edgewood Addition (1912) that is surviving on Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard (formerly Forest Avenue), the principal streetcar route across the South Dallas neighborhood. The Edgewood Addition was home to many prominent Jewish families who built their homes near Temple Emanu-El (which is no longer existing in that location). The original owner of the house was Charles G. Levi and then his son-in-law Jacob Moses who succeeded him.

aggiewilliford
You Had One Job 175

Rongagin71
AG
YES REGERTS
dabo man
AG
175 Navarro County, Corsicana, Texas

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.