*****Aggies vs. Indiana-Austin Regional Sunday*****

208,211 Views | 1934 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieBand2004
Aggie_Jeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought this year should have been better but they have good pieces back. Need Dox to nail down that Friday night ace role, need some power to develop and have a better outfield.
aginlakeway
AG
Time for my traditional summer texags sebatical. Have a safe summer everyone.
Cy_Tolliver
That CWS team was such an anomaly. Got a weak regional then lucked out with a 4 seed super. Once at Omaha, we saw pretty quickly the team didn't belong there.

This is a regional sport. It makes little sense that we actually are performing worse than we do in basketball or football now in terms of relative position.
Sean98
AG
Beau Holder said:

Half the lineup seemingly hit .250 and the All-American just had a "good" season, rarely great. The rotation basically had one-and-a-half good pitchers interchangeably. Bullpen got it together but late.

Disappointing after returning a lot from a CWS team. Where do we go from here?
There are a lot of returning parts to like, but I could have said the same last year. Does Helman return? I'm guessing Kilkenny does after his 0-5 finish. Is Conlon healthy?

If we go Dox, Kilkenny, Lacy on the weekend next year with a lineup of (1) Deloach, (2) Helman, (3) Shoemake, (4) Cookie, (5) Lefty, (6) Foster, (7) Bedford, (8) Janca, (9) Wingate and we see some normal level of improvement then I feel pretty good.

If Blake, Haller, Walters, Morris makes big strides, and then a handful of the fish produce then I like our chances. Roa, Saenz, Miner, Cole... lots of parts to like in the pen as well.

But you can't have Janca kicking balls and hitting .230 (and .180 for the first half). You have to have Cookie/Lefty find some power and Shew needs more than about 15 XBH.
Tavares19
AG
I did not think it was possible to throw 8 scoreless innings, have 17 hits, and still lose in a 9 inning game
coldmoose
Profoundly sad to see it end this way.

There still is Track and Field. But don't know if Coach Henry will have enough qualifiers this year to get the top spot(s).
HTownAg98
Tavares19 said:

I did not think it was possible to throw 8 scoreless innings, have 17 hits, and still lose in a 9 inning game

Go watch game seven of the 2017 World Series. Similar type game, but the Dodgers didn't score runs to chip away.
W
AG
yep, that's the concerning thing.

most of the returning players for 2018 did not improve on their 2017 numbers (like they were expected).

will be interesting to see if Helman or Hoffman are back for 2019. Will depend on their draft position and bonus offered
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
Average Joe said:

Foxo said:

Average Joe said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

No way to have a pitcher warm quick enough to stop it

Sure there is. You send two to the pen to get warm. One gets warm fast and one normal. Then you use mound visits to stall. At most 3-4 batters hit if they are swinging early.
You realize that Sherrod gave up 3 of those runs.

I do, but it shouldn't take you 7 batters to figure out Chafin doesn't have it. The announcers and fans figured it out after two.

Not to mention you have your catcher make visits to stall. You visit to stall. There are plenty of ways to slow down the game and not let 7 batters bad before you figure it out.

Childress did go out after 2 batters and sent the pen then.:: what else should he have done... only other thing would be to fake injuries, run the catcher out every pitch
Mike Elko
AG
Good season, but sucks it ended in Austin this way. After Friday, I thought we'd be playing Sunday night. Dammit. Killer and Chafin didn't give us much of a chance the past two games. Disappointing.
MROD92
Thanks to all the regulars on here, I'm looking forward to the countdown to next season. Lance, AggieWilliford, Captain America, et al, enjoy the fellowship
trouble
AG
**** you
HiddenAg2
Not sure how this can be considered a "good" season. A&M was 1 loss away from missing the tourney altogether and played a very weak non-conference schedule to run up the win total. We had a losing record in SEC play by 4 games in the regular season. We just went 1-2 in a regional. This was a disappointing season based on expectations. Next year will be big for Rob's future at A&M.
MidTnAg
AG
Please do not converse with despicable individuals.
It only impowers their fragile ego.
AggieFrog
AG
HiddenAg2 said:

Not sure how this can be considered a "good" season. A&M was 1 loss away from missing the tourney altogether and played a very weak non-conference schedule to run up the win total. We had a losing record in SEC play by 4 games in the regular season. We just went 1-2 in a regional. This was a disappointing season based on expectations. Next year will be big for Rob's future at A&M.

Agreed all around. Not a good season but can't call it bad, either. A solid "meh" season.
75AG
AG
At least the sips didn't knock us out. **** you sips!!!!!! Hahahahahahaha!!!
Raggie21
This was a bad season. Losing half of our series is not meh it's way below expectations here. We should be minimum a decent 2 seed, better than 11th in conference.
Baby Billy
AG
Foxo said:

Proud of the team. Unlike the fans they never gave up. Wait til next year.

Said every year for 12 straight years
tjack16
AG
Well.... at least TCU didn't end our season
AggieFrog
AG
Raggie21 said:

This was a bad season. Losing half of our series is not meh it's way below expectations here. We should be minimum a decent 2 seed, better than 11th in conference.

If we were still in the Big 12 I'd agree, but the SEC is just a whole other level. Will just have to disagree.
dixichkn
AG
75AG said:

Is that really something to laugh about????
STL_aTm
AG
I'm actually relieved. This coach wasn't going to win 2 against Texas and I couldnt stomach Clemens wiping the floor with us again.
Childress's ceiling is occasionally making Omaha and looking outmatched when we get there. The big question is whether or not that's good enough for our administration.
histag10
AG
STL_aTm said:

I'm actually relieved. This coach wasn't going to win 2 against Texas and I couldnt stomach Clemens wiping the floor with us again.
Childress's ceiling is occasionally making Omaha and looking outmatched when we get there. The big question is if that is good enough for our administration?

So nice of you to drop in the last game of the season just to ***** about childress. Its slways appreciated.
67walkon
For Ags there is Always Next Year. Pick a men's sport.
A little hope with Jimbo now.
AggieDad74
Beau Holder said:

APHIS AG said:

Well, at least we did not choke to the sips, that would have been more embarrassing.

The NCAA committee knew A&M better than we did when it came to regional play.

We did choke to the sips. Just saved ourselves the chance to do it more than once.

Now here's a little bit of positivity! By losing to the Hossiers this afternoon preeminently means that tu was only able to split with us this season!
histag10
AG
dixichkn said:

75AG said:

Is that really something to laugh about????

The joke

Your head
Beau Holder
AG
Gig 'em Hoosiers tonight
ham98
STL_aTm said:

Childress's ceiling is occasionally making Omaha and looking outmatched when we get there. The big question is whether or not that's good enough for our administration.
There is no question that it's more than good enough for the current administration.
Amazing Moves
W said:

A&M finishes 2018 with 8 losing weekends (out of 16 played).

that is just not good. Have to improve the talent for 2019
Couldn't agree more. Need to improve the head coach as well. Unfortunately he will continue to do just enough to be considered a good coach. I don't trust him to go any further than what he has previously done. At all.

A&M should take the same attitude with baseball as they did with football. Let him know that this doesn't cut it!! Then go out and get a bad ass.

We should be a titan in this sport. Reloading and going to Omaha frequently. With our facilities, SEC tag, support, and recruiting ground. Instead of just having a friendly neighborhood good team. That wins most games but, loses to those The Ags should ultimately want to be like. Or at the most every 3 years having a great team that falls in the Supers.

It's been 29 years since 89' and this program has done very little more than what they accomplished that season. I support every player before and since but, not the coaches responsible for falling short so many times with superior squads. That happened again this weekend and throughout the year.

We need a championship attitude. This coach does not instill it.
MidTnAg
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Good season, but sucks it ended in Austin this way. After Friday, I thought we'd be playing Sunday night. Dammit. Killer and Chafin didn't give us much of a chance the past two games. Disappointing.
I don't see how any Aggie fan would consider this season a "good" one.
I don't see how any Aggie fan would consider this season as "ok" or "average".

Preseason Prediction with actual finish in parentheses:
1. Arkansas (1T)
2. Texas A&M (6)
3. Mississippi (1T)
4. LSU (3T)
5. Mississippi State (3T)
6. Auburn (3T)
7. Alabama (7)

No matter how you try to spin it, based on our talent level, we obviously had a below average season and underperformed.
histag10
AG
Whose predictions are those? Genuinely curious.
MidTnAg
AG
2018 SEC Baseball Coaches Preseason Poll.

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-releases-baseball-coaches-poll-preseason-sec-rosters
histag10
AG
Thanks
Amazing Moves
Quality post.
Aggie_Jeff
AggieFrog said:

Raggie21 said:

If we were still in the Big 12 I'd agree, but the SEC is just a whole other level. Will just have to disagree.
What are you disagreeing with? Bad season or should be better than 11th in conference?

The season wasn't bad but it certainly wasn't good. This was never a team that picked itself up except in Hoover. It was bad defense one game, bad offense another and then there would be a bad start then the pen would underperform. It was a meh season. We have a lot coming back so my expectations is to host a regional next year. Anything less is not good enough,

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.