***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,684,735 Views | 33266 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by Twisted Helix
Baseball Is Life
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Beef01 said:

Silent For Too Long said:

Never a doubt.

The Espada hate in here has gotten as bad as the Dusty hate. It makes this thread unreadable at times.

Then don't read it, problem solved.

The organization has gone from 7-straight ALCS appearances to "very possibly won't make the playoffs" and the rookie manager is factoring into that.

So, I find it far more bothersome to see someone simping for a guy who absolutely has no business having this job.

**Example : They won tonight, but he very possibly harmed your depth by putting a young pitcher in an unnecessary situation and he got hurt. Then he plays games with his bullpen and forces more tread off of Abreu's tires. These decisions don't just happen in a vacuum, they have consequences.

I wish they would fire Espada tonight. However, the problem really is much deeper than him. If I gave you four sticks, a bundle of string, a rock and some kindling -- could you create a fire? The select few can, but most can't. Espada is a rookie, in over his head, trying to save his arms during a big lead.

Look, we would all be talking crap if he wasted pitching with our injuries and the lead we had. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I am a broken record, but.. This is all starts with Crane and then Dana. Now, fire Espada as well.
AggiEE
_veeyah_ said:

The Beef01 said:

Just the essence of bullpen mismanagement…I'm done after this; doesn't matter how it goes, this was a manager who saw a HR and just said "meh, it's only 1" and then allows them to do it again…and again…and finally decides to pull his struggling minor leaguer to put in his struggling major leaguer.

Guy is so far beneath competent and people can ***** about Crane and Abreu, etc…hiring this lipstick-wearing clown is the biggest red flag.

Still need better bullpen arms than what we have, yet our front office did absolutely nothing during the offseason.

Crane spent $95M on one guy when we should have spent maybe half that on multiple "good enough" relievers
BadAggie
AG
Hey, Astros won

Yeah but

Would you rather they had lost?
Ag_07
AG
The BP depth was always a big question mark. And tonight was a bullpen depth game. Just as it should be up by that much that late.
The Beef01
AG
Beat40 said:

The Beef01 said:

Beat40 said:

The Beef01 said:

_veeyah_ said:

The Beef01 said:

Just the essence of bullpen mismanagement…I'm done after this; doesn't matter how it goes, this was a manager who saw a HR and just said "meh, it's only 1" and then allows them to do it again…and again…and finally decides to pull his struggling minor leaguer to put in his struggling major leaguer.

Guy is so far beneath competent and people can ***** about Crane and Abreu, etc…hiring this lipstick-wearing clown is the biggest red flag.

Still need better bullpen arms than what we have, yet our front office did absolutely nothing during the offseason.

All he had to do tonight was use arms which actually belong on a ML roster and it never gets to this point. His use of Hernandez was defensible until he brought him back out after giving up the HR in the 7th.

He also never should've brought Bloss out for the 4th given the way the 3rd went, his pitch limit and the short/quick bottom of the 3rd. He did it and Bloss is now hurt…when the guy paid to be positive on-air by the club can barely hide his WTF?!?! reaction, that's how you know you made a stupid decision.

Who the **** should he have brought in? Honestly. Tell me who the **** he should have brought in.

Do you not realize Seth, Tayler, Abreu, Pressly, and Hader have been overused as **** so far this season? Abreu Presslly, and Hader came off 2 games in a row too!!

Damn man, starting pitcher gets hurt and Dubin gives two ****ing innings. Up 14 to ****ing 3 and you want him to bring in Seth, Tayler, Abreu, Pressly, or Hader when it's 14-6 in the 7th.

At some point you idiots have to stop blaming Joe and blame the ****ing organization isn't putting MLB talent on this ****ing roster.

It's ok man, I think you're a dumb **** too, so you can know it's mutual.

I took the idiot part out because it's not helpful.

But seriously. Who the hell should he have brought in at 14-6 in the 7th with the current bullpen usage?

That is a seriously question I want you to answer.

Also - don't take my rant as I'm as "Joe is the guy" guy. I'm very much on the fence. But it's also right to be fair and acknowledge Joe has been ****ed by this organization.

He should've had Montero in there to start the 8th…the fact that it was 14-6 and allowed to become 14-8 with the same pitcher in the game is the issue. Hernandez shouldn't have come out for the 8th after he was getting absolutely crushed in the 7th.

He was left in there to give up a 2nd homer to Henderson; that's a major mistake that Espada didn't have Montero ready to go there.

Montero has struggled lately and bringing him into a 10-run game is significantly different than bringing him into a 6-run game against a team that is 5-9 with a BB over the previous 10 batters.

Let's say Montero comes in and gives up 3 runs…ok, now it's 14-7 and you're going to the 9th with a 7-run lead and don't have to burn Abreu.

I hear what you're saying, but Espada is part of the ****ing that the organization has been doing. I hate it for him, but he just isn't cut out for this job.

Baseball Is Life
AggiEE said:

_veeyah_ said:

The Beef01 said:

Crane spent $95M on one guy when we should have spent maybe half that on multiple "good enough" relievers

CRANE IS THE PROBLEM! Nobody wants to address that. Does our manager suck? Yes, because he is green, but he isn't THE problem. Crane is the problem, followed by Dana
Silent For Too Long
Looking at this team and seeing the injuries suffered, and early struggles of proven stars, and *****ing about the coaching staff everyday is a dog **** take.

Plane and simple. It's dog ***** Miller coached a bunch of nobodies into the best BP in baseball in '22. Cintron has had a top 5 offense basically every year.

They didn't magically forget how to coach. This team's problems have very little to do with coaching.
Beat40
Baseball Is Life said:

The Beef01 said:

Never a doubt.

The Espada hate in here has gotten as bad as the Dusty hate. It makes this thread unreadable at times.

Then don't read it, problem solved.

The organization has gone from 7-straight ALCS appearances to "very possibly won't make the playoffs" and the rookie manager is factoring into that.

So, I find it far more bothersome to see someone simping for a guy who absolutely has no business having this job.

**Example : They won tonight, but he very possibly harmed your depth by putting a young pitcher in an unnecessary situation and he got hurt. Then he plays games with his bullpen and forces more tread off of Abreu's tires. These decisions don't just happen in a vacuum, they have consequences.

I wish they would fire Espada tonight. However, the problem really is much deeper than him. If I gave you four sticks, a bundle of string, a rock and some kindling -- could you create a fire? The select few can, but most can't. Espada is a rookie, in over his head, trying to save his arms during a big lead.

Look, we would all be talking crap if he wasted pitching with our injuries and the lead we had. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I am a broken record, but.. This is all starts with Crane and then Dana. Now, fire Espada as well.

The problem is he was supposedly given four sticks, lighter fluid, and matches. Turns out, the lighter fluid (the all-stars) was completely empty this first month and the matches were soggy.

So, instead of judging him on that, you're judging him on the very few who can turn four sticks, a bundle of string, a rock, and some kindling into a fire when that's not the situation everyone in the world thought he had, which most likely includes yourself if you're honest.
iBrad
AG
I don't have any issue with Espada trying to get through the rest of that game with a scrub on the mound to preserve an overworked bullpen.
BadAggie
AG
Baseball Is Life said:

AggiEE said:

_veeyah_ said:

The Beef01 said:

CRANE IS THE PROBLEM! Nobody wants to address that. Does our manager suck? Yes, because he is green, but he isn't THE problem. Crane is the problem, followed by Dana

Ok, tell him to sell the team
JDUB08AG
AG
Holy fs. Just saw the score and box score.
Baseball Is Life
I don't give a crap what Dana can read. Loperfido being sent down and ****ed over, is only one his ****-ups. Crane isn't going to fire himself, so bring back Click and let him hire the next manager. ****, how did we only offer him a one year contract after the dominance, Jerry Jones Jr?
Hornbeck
AG
Whew
texasaggie2015
AG
Joe Espada hasn't done anything to make me a fan.

But he's been put in a brutal spot and the organization has done him no favors. Any anger directed at him should be directed at Jim Crane first and foremost.

Also, did we lose or something? This thread is a toxic mess.
The Beef01
AG

Looking at this team and seeing the injuries suffered, and early struggles of proven stars, and *****ing about the coaching staff everyday is a dog **** take.

Plane and simple. It's dog ***** Miller coached a bunch of nobodies into the best BP in baseball in '22. Cintron has had a top 5 offense basically every year.

They didn't magically forget how to coach. This team's problems have very little to do with coaching.

Here's your list of days lost to injury for the '24 season, speaking of dog **** takes.

Baseball Is Life
BadAggie said:

Baseball Is Life said:

AggiEE said:

_veeyah_ said:

The Beef01 said:

I am drinking, so disregard most everything I say. However, as much crap as I am talking, I still even have a soft spot for Jim. He is much better than Drayton, but the success got to his head and he thought anyone could do this, like Jerry. I have hope that Crane can learn.

Edit - and by learn, I mean learning not to meddle!
texasaggie2015
AG
How is Dana Brown a problem? That makes absolutely zero sense.

He discovered Taylor Scott. He insisted that Blanco join the rotation when most everyone was against it. He signed a good veteran backup catcher. It's early, but he's seemingly drafted very well. He's played a huge role in the development of some of these young pitchers who are coming around.

Any move he wants to make basically has to be approved by Crane. He runs the show. He signed Hader and made the JV trade happen.

Dana Brown is largely unproven to this point, but he has done some good and hopefully Crane can back up and let him do his thing so we can get a good read on him.
iBrad
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

How is Dana Brown the problem? That makes absolutely zero sense.

A lot of these posts tonight make no sense. We just beat one of the best teams, and hottest teams, in baseball while starting a kid we pulled up from AA. You wouldn't know it based on these posts, though.
The Beef01
AG
iBrad said:

I don't have any issue with Espada trying to get through the rest of that game with a scrub on the mound to preserve an overworked bullpen.

I didn't have an issue with him trying it and was perfectly fine with it after Hernandez got out of the 7th. However, sending him back out there was a mistake (yes, hindsight is 20/20) and allowing him to give up a pair of 2-run homers and the 2nd being the 2nd he surrendered to the same player; this is a problem.

When you have a team like the Orioles, you simply cannot let them run through their lineup and pick up steam like that. By that point, when he brought Montero in, it was too late to stop them and they turned it into a game when it shouldn't have been.
The Beef01
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

He discovered Taylor Scott. He insisted that Blanco join the rotation when most everyone was against it. He signed a good veteran backup catcher. It's early, but he's seemingly drafted very well. He's played a huge role in the development of some of these young pitchers who are coming around.

Any move he wants to make basically has to be approved by Crane. He runs the show. He signed Hader and made the JV trade happen.

Dana Brown is largely unproven to this point, but he has done some good and hopefully Crane can back up and let him do his thing so we can get a good read on him.

Agreed! I think if he gets some breathing room and a few years, he'll get through these struggles and will rebuild the farm to where the organization doesn't skip much of a beat.

I get the same vibe right now with Brown/Crane that I got with Casserio/McNair before Easterby was walked out of the building. I don't think that Bagwell is nearly as toxic as Easterby was, but he clearly isn't doing the organization any favors by being in Crane's ear.
Baseball Is Life
texasaggie2015 said:

Dana peddles BS, but I guess that is somewhat part of his job. Also, if he had any stones, and wasn't a "Yes Man," he might actually be worthy. I know he a farm system guru, but he isn't a boss. If he was a boss, he would have shut down a lot of the crap we are seeing.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

So this past and current week of scheduling is odd

6 game west coast road trip (travel day Thursday)
3 games at home (travel day Monday)
3 games on road in Chicago
5 games at home (off day in the middle)

Very weird scheduling by MLB but at least there's off days mixed in
Pathway to .500 by the ASB

@White Sox (3) 2-1
Orioles (3) 1-2
Rockies (2) 2-0
@Mets (3) 2-1
--end of month--
@Blue Jays (4) 3-1
@Twins (3) 1-2
Marlins (3) 2-1
Rangers (3) 2-1

15-9

48-48 Overall

Only 1 short sweep and losing 2 series. Doesn't seem super unreasonable.

Right on track. If we win one more vs Baltimore we're ahead of schedule.
texasaggie2015
AG
He is the farthest thing from a yes man. You couldn't be more wrong about that. He's notorious for his temper.

And what he says to the media has zero effect on if the team wins or loses.
Baseball Is Life
texasaggie2015 said:

He is the farthest thing from a yes man. You couldn't be more wrong about that. He's notorious for his temper.

I hope you are right. You are a lot more connected than me, so I can't argue.
W
AG
Astros are 5-2 in the Abreu-less era
W
AG
Astros are 9-4 when Loperfido starts

how about that
bearkatag15
AG
W said:

Astros are 9-4 when Loperfido starts

how about that
What is the record when Loperfido starts and Abreu didn't (or wasn't on the team)
Baseball Is Life
texasaggie2015 said:

He should show some fire and reality in the interviews he does. Then, maybe, people would start to respect him. He looks like Karine Jean Pierre or Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf at this point.

"We are going to run off a streak at some point"

This is what he should have said:

"Look, we have have a ton of injuries, but have sucked. We had to see what our massive investment in Abreu was going to do. We are sorry that we're underperforming. We are going to play the best players, arbitration/service be damned, and hopefully make a true run moving forward. If we don't, I'll address the issues."

texasaggie2015
AG
I really don't understand why you guys get so upset about this. Look around the league in every sport. It's always the same thing.

The dude has done a great job adding talent to the farm system but he's a problem because he doesn't say the team sucks into a microphone.

We just beat the best team in baseball and we're riding a little hot streak. Why can't we just be happy about that?
Baseball Is Life
texasaggie2015 said:

I really don't understand why you guys get so upset about this. Look around the league in every sport. It's always the same thing.

The dude has done a great job adding talent to the farm system but he's a problem because he doesn't say the team sucks into a microphone.

We just beat the best team in baseball and we're riding a little hot streak. Why can't we just be happy about that?

100% props to you. You called the Abreu bat number, almost to the dot. I have always respected and appreciated your opinions and insights.

A GM should be optimistic, but always realistic. Blow a little smoke up our butts, while addressing the problem.

texasaggie2015
AG
What he says into microphones and what he says behind the scenes are two completely different things.

He could recite Taylor Swift lyrics every time he speaks to the media for all I care. As long as he's doing what we need him to do.
Baseball Is Life
texasaggie2015 said:

What he says into microphones and what he says behind the scenes are two completely different things.

He could recite Taylor Swift lyrics every time he speaks to the media for all I care. As long as he's doing what we need him to do.

I had a long reply, but I got redirected to some spam site. The ad partners here have been the only site giving me trouble for the last few days.

Anyways, lets keep winning. Thanks for your insight and I hope all of you have a blessed weekend.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Baseball Is Life said:

BadAggie said:

Baseball Is Life said:

AggiEE said:

_veeyah_ said:

The Beef01 said:

I am drinking, so disregard most everything I say. However, as much crap as I am talking, I still even have a soft spot for Jim. He is much better than Drayton, but the success got to his head and he thought anyone could do this, like Jerry. I have hope that Crane can learn.

Edit - and by learn, I mean learning not to meddle!

Honest question I guess, do you only post on here when drinking, then use that as a crutch for poor takes? This is the first time you've posted that mid rant as an explanation/excuse
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07
AG
We're just snatching up warm bodies.
First Page Last Page
Page 915 of 951

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.