***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,724,103 Views | 34043 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marvin said:

superaggie73 said:

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise and got to go to a game on Saturday at T Mobile. Saw the Mariners make Texas look like a AAA team. Anyways, after talking to fans there, they are really good people. Not obnoxious at all like the Rangers. In fact, I told most that I spoke with that they look really good this year and they should win the division. Most all of them said they always think that and then they collapse and leave everyone heartbroken. They are just waiting for us to swoop in and over take them.

After sitting through 18 innings of verbal abuse and physical threats several years ago in the playoffs, I would vehemently disagree with you assessment of Seattle fans being really good people. They are foul-mouthed trash and deserve their team to collapse like last year. And no disrespect if you feel differently, but their women need to learn the benefits of a razor.

Rant over.

I'd imagine you're both right. Talking to fans when they're playing a different team will never compare to an interaction with fans during a series especially in the playoffs.
MaxPower
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Frok said:

Breggy would be a rental, I don't think you are likely going to get a high prospect for him. Would the compensation pick be more valuable?
Bigger question is do you want to risk he accepts the QO?
Yes he's played well enough that I'd be perfectly fine giving him one. He's been on fire and is now basically league average as a hitter while playing an excellent 3B.

As for the compensation, because we are over the CBT threshold, it's after the 4th round, which is better than nothing but not great. You take the prospect if you can get a decent one.
Beau Holder
AG
superaggie73 said:

Marvin said:

superaggie73 said:

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise and got to go to a game on Saturday at T Mobile. Saw the Mariners make Texas look like a AAA team. Anyways, after talking to fans there, they are really good people. Not obnoxious at all like the Rangers. In fact, I told most that I spoke with that they look really good this year and they should win the division. Most all of them said they always think that and then they collapse and leave everyone heartbroken. They are just waiting for us to swoop in and over take them.

After sitting through 18 innings of verbal abuse and physical threats several years ago in the playoffs, I would vehemently disagree with you assessment of Seattle fans being really good people. They are foul-mouthed trash and deserve their team to collapse like last year. And no disrespect if you feel differently, but their women need to learn the benefits of a razor.

Rant over.

Lol…maybe a different crowd when they play a crappy team in the middle of June. I was also surprised how crappy their food options were and how slow the lines were. However the street vendors outside the stadium were much better.

They've got a Din Tai Fung inside the stadium and the garlic fries or whatever it is, both of which beat the very average food options at MMP.
W
AG
the Q.O. is expected to be $21 MM

so the Astros would not be saving much in payroll if Bregman accepts

however...if JV doesn't reach 140 innings...there will be more payroll relief
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Frok said:

Breggy would be a rental, I don't think you are likely going to get a high prospect for him. Would the compensation pick be more valuable?
Bigger question is do you want to risk he accepts the QO?
I don't think that will be a concern if he continues anywhere close to how he's played the last month or more.

Since May 13th he has a 151 wRC+.

Clearly trending up.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
W said:

Breggy is a Scott Boras client. I think it's safe to assume that Scott Boras would rather die than allow one of his clients to take a QO. I don't think we have to worry about that.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

17 M in relief. But what does 17 M get in in terms of SP?

Not a ton. Probably not an equivalent unless we commit multiple years.
cc10106
Yeah no way Bregman pulls a Colby Rasmus and accepts the Q.O., though in this case it would be welcomed.

W
AG
the Astros need payroll flexibility anywhere they can get it

JV will be 42 next year
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

the Astros need payroll flexibility anywhere they can get it

JV will be 42 next year
Sure everyone wants flexibility. But quality SP innings are more important. For 17 M a year, JV might be a good value or at least a fair market price.
MaxPower
Even if JV exercises his option, he is tradeable. It would make more sense in the offseason anyway given the money involved and no trade clause.
tjack16
AG
I'd give Bregman the QO. If he accepts, great it's a 1 year deal while somebody in the minors develops. If he doesn't, then you get a draft pick which you also need
jkag89
Project Gemini said:

tjack16 said:

Goal needs to shift from playoffs to get Dubon an inning at catcher in a blowout and an inning pitched
One of these could have been taken care of yesterday pretty easily.
If the season really goes south, all nine positions in one game.
Mathguy64
AG
There's no doubt he gets a QO. It would be silly not to. The question is has he played himself (or at least starting to play himself) this last month into a multi year offer?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16
AG
So this past and current week of scheduling is odd

6 game west coast road trip (travel day Thursday)
3 games at home (travel day Monday)
3 games on road in Chicago
5 games at home (off day in the middle)

Very weird scheduling by MLB but at least there's off days mixed in
Beat40
tjack16 said:

The nice thing about off days is it allows for the use of Hader more when winning late in games. He can close out a 4-lead game, Pressly get the next day in the 9th, and Hader again when you have a day off after a 3-game series.

Offense just needs to give the bullpen a lead going into the 8th.
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Dubon is falling back down to earth in June, after an absolute blistering May.
Pena, Singleton and Meyers are not having a good month, so far

Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Pathway to .500 by the ASB

@White Sox (3) 2-1
Orioles (3) 1-2
Rockies (2) 2-0
@Mets (3) 2-1
--end of month--
@Blue Jays (4) 3-1
@Twins (3) 1-2
Marlins (3) 2-1
Rangers (3) 2-1

15-9

48-48 Overall

Only 1 short sweep and losing 2 series. Doesn't seem super unreasonable.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Pathway to .500 by the ASB

@White Sox (3) 2-1
Orioles (3) 1-2
Rockies (2) 2-0
@Mets (3) 2-1
--end of month--
@Blue Jays (4) 3-1
@Twins (3) 1-2
Marlins (3) 2-1
Rangers (3) 2-1

15-9

48-48 Overall

Only 1 short sweep and losing 2 series. Doesn't seem super unreasonable.
Maintaining that 26-20 pace since Mexico would put us around 13 or 14 wins. It is definitely within grasp to get to .500.
texasaggie2015
AG
And if they're .500 at the ASB, I expect them to 100% be buyers at the deadline.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

And if they're .500 at the ASB, I expect them to 100% be buyers at the deadline.
As they should be. As of now, .500 is 4 games out of the postseason. The Twins are on a heater (they'll cool) and the Royals are slipping up (could continue) so it may be fewer games than that.

Fangraphs is predicting 84-78 for the Royals and the final WC spot.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
They like him and want him to be in AA by the end of the year. Dana likes to move guys through the system fast, which is why I expect Jake Bloss to make his debut at some point this season.
Mr President Elect
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Looks like ~19-11 if you remove Abreu's farewell tour. Singleton's numbers are also a lot better (as of the other day) without Abreu on the roster. Look's like Pena was just on a heater and needs to be moved back down to the bottom of the order. We really need Bregman and Diaz to pick up (both have shown life lately) and our BP to quit competing for who can be most dissappointing and we should be able to compete. We are chasing Seattle, who is only like +14 diff and are 3 games over their EXWL while we are -3. No reason to to throw in the towel yet.
texasaggie2015
AG
Mr President Elect said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Looks like ~19-11 if you remove Abreu's farewell tour. Singleton's numbers are also a lot better (as of the other day) without Abreu on the roster. Look's like Pena was just on a heater and needs to be moved back down to the bottom of the order. We really need Bregman and Diaz to pick up (both have shown life lately) and our BP to quit competing for who can be most dissappointing and we should be able to compete. We are chasing Seattle, who is only like +14 diff and are 3 games over their EXWL while we are -3. No reason to to throw in the towel yet.
This has a lot more to do with Singleton just not being very good than Abreu being on the roster. He got hot for a bit, but what we're seeing now is who he is.
cc10106
Speaking of Bloss, in case this wasn't mentioned previously:

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-double-a-affiliate-throws-no-hitter-jake-bloss-cesar-gomez
Wabs
AG
Good ol Dusty

Mr President Elect
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Mr President Elect said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

This has a lot more to do with Singleton just not being very good than Abreu being on the roster. He got hot for a bit, but what we're seeing now is who he is.
I don't remember the stats from the other day when they showed them, but it was a pretty big difference. He is batting .286 since Abreu's release (very small sample). Not sure how much rope he has left though.
Farmer1906
AG
Jon needs to sit vs LHP. He's not Abreu bad, but he's not far off.
Mathguy64
AG
Jon is below average when facing righties. He shouldn't be allowed to bat against lefties.

Find a cheap everyday platoon player who hits righties.

ETA. Dang it. Farmer beat me to it.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Jon is below average when facing righties. He shouldn't be allowed to bat against lefties.

Find a cheap everyday platoon player who hits righties.

ETA. Dang it. Farmer beat me to it.

There is a cheap on. Cooper just got cut by Boston. Makes too much sense.
Mathguy64
AG
I liked him a couple of years ago when he was at Miami. More than Josh Bell at the time.

Whoever it is doesn't have to be Freddy Freeman. Just cheap and right handed. Because literally anything would be an improvement over Jon hitting LHP or Abreu.
First Page Last Page
Page 876 of 973

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.