***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,764,071 Views | 34702 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by bearkatag15
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
.880 OPS at the moment

Twins looking to sweep the A's tonight
Project Gemini
AG
tjack16 said:

Goal needs to shift from playoffs to get Dubon an inning at catcher in a blowout and an inning pitched
One of these could have been taken care of yesterday pretty easily.
1876er
AG
W said:

in addition to the Mariners (42-31) playing good baseball lately...

so have the Twins (39-32) in the 3rd wildcard spot

probably going to take at least 88 wins for the playoffs...division or wildcard

the Astros need sweeps

You're still holding out hope this team makes the playoffs?
Farmer1906
AG

Chas or Jake? What can we get?
Mr.Ackar07
tjack16 said:

Goal needs to shift from playoffs to get Dubon an inning at catcher in a blowout and an inning pitched

He'd be the 6th player to do so if he could accomplish it all in 1 games. Hasn't been done since 2017.
linkdude
AG
timing is everything... the Cubs swept us, of course
Hornbeck
AG
Let's be honest. He had a hell of a time hitting the ball period this season, and wasn't that great most of last season.
W
AG
the question is whether the front office holds out hope
BadAggie
AG
Trade deadline is July 30, so have time before buy/sell decision(s) are made.

BadAggie
AG
What's up with JV is significant, any kind of 2nd half surge for a playoff spot would need JV in the rotation, imo.

Loss of Javier is huge, but Brown is really coming on and Blanco's rise a gift.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
BadAggie said:

There will be very few sellers this year that have anything valuable to give. We could really boost the farm system by driving up the asking price (someone will pay) and shorten the rebuild window by selling this year.
cc10106
Mullins will probably heat up against us next weekend.
Marvin
AG
Mrs. Marvin and I are on the road to Omaha. We look forward to watching some winning baseball tomorrow night.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
W
AG
speaking of the Cubs...

I forget that they signed Dansby Swanson to a mega-contract

throw it on the pile with all the other ones

currently delivering a .640 OPS

and he's signed thru 2029 at $28 MM per
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Marvin said:

Mrs. Marvin and I are on the road to Omaha. We look forward to watching some winning baseball tomorrow night.
I hope we turn it around slightly at least be watchable the second half.

But I think we'd be prudent to sell to facilitate a quick/immedite rebuild.
1. Sign (or trade) Tucker
2. Sell Framber
3. Sell Pressley
4. Sell Chaz
Hornbeck
AG
Who's going to pay for Pressly?

Tuck has value. Hate to see another AL team with him, though.

With Chaz, what are you going to get? AA or middling AAA player?

Agree about Framber as well.

I'd add rent Breggy for prospects…
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Hornbeck said:

Who's going to pay for Pressly?

Tuck has value. Hate to see another AL team with him, though.

With Chaz, what are you going to get? AA or middling AAA player?

Agree about Framber as well.

I'd add rent Breggy for prospects…

Bregman I sadly agree unless he will accept a lowball but even that could be offered in the off season.

Presley has value to someone looking for a closer…just not looking for a set up man. Getting youth back for Chaz is something. It's all part of a restock.

The biggest values without major risks to next year are Bregman, Framber and Tucker. As I mentioned before I'd rather make those trades while resigning Tucker
Frok
AG
Breggy would be a rental, I don't think you are likely going to get a high prospect for him. Would the compensation pick be more valuable?
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
I can confirm Houston has reached out to Washington about Hunter Harvey
Harry Dunne
EastCoastAgNc said:

BadAggie said:

There will be very few sellers this year that have anything valuable to give. We could really boost the farm system by driving up the asking price (someone will pay) and shorten the rebuild window by selling this year.
In order to even have a "rebuild window" you have to believe in the people managing the rebuild. Which I do not.

But I do understand that they're not going anywhere anytime soon and we need to let them crap themselves some more before that changes.
MaxPower
texasaggie2015 said:

I can confirm Houston has reached out to Washington about Hunter Harvey
Harvey is fine, would need to see what they give up. One caution flag is he's thrown more innings and almost as many games as Abreu so fatigue may be a concern.
agproducer
AG
One thing I've been thinking about is injuries.

Seattle has not had any major, major injuries this season to either their everyday players or pitching.

They just lost RP Matt Brash for the season -- so that's pretty big. But -- that's pretty much it. A couple of their other relievers are out until about the ASB.

They did lose Sam Haggerty for the year, but he is primarily a bench piece.

I think at some point, Seattle's SP will wear down a bit. Hopefully, at that point, we get some guys back and can make a run.

tjack16
AG
agproducer said:

Seattle has not had any major, major injuries this season to either their everyday players or pitching.

They just lost RP Matt Brash for the season -- so that's pretty big. But -- that's pretty much it. A couple of their other relievers are out until about the ASB.

I think at some point, Seattle's SP will wear down a bit. Hopefully, at that point, we get some guys back and can make a run.

Seattle falling down the stretch would be great but you're forgetting one thing… we've yet to prove we can build any sustainable positive momentum. We win one series, lose the next consistently.

Until we prove we can get to .500 and stay there, any hopes for us putting a run together are not realistic.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Brash is expected back, I believe.
superaggie73
AG
We just got back from an Alaskan cruise and got to go to a game on Saturday at T Mobile. Saw the Mariners make Texas look like a AAA team. Anyways, after talking to fans there, they are really good people. Not obnoxious at all like the Rangers. In fact, I told most that I spoke with that they look really good this year and they should win the division. Most all of them said they always think that and then they collapse and leave everyone heartbroken. They are just waiting for us to swoop in and over take them.
agproducer
AG
Farmer1906 said:

From the report on CBS I saw -- it said "out for season."

Further research shows he had TJ: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40122063/mariners-matt-brash-done-season-tommy-john-surgery
agproducer
AG
tjack16 said:

agproducer said:

Seattle falling down the stretch would be great but you're forgetting one thing… we've yet to prove we can build any sustainable positive momentum. We win one series, lose the next consistently.

Until we prove we can get to .500 and stay there, any hopes for us putting a run together are not realistic.
That's true. That's why I included, "Hopefully."
MaxPower
Seattle has Woo, who has been banged up, but point taken. Keep in mind they have a great farm so I fully expect they will add an impact bat.
Farmer1906
AG
agproducer said:

Farmer1906 said:

From the report on CBS I saw -- it said "out for season."

Further research shows he had TJ: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40122063/mariners-matt-brash-done-season-tommy-john-surgery

You're right. For some reason I thought he got the bracing only.
Marvin
AG
superaggie73 said:

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise and got to go to a game on Saturday at T Mobile. Saw the Mariners make Texas look like a AAA team. Anyways, after talking to fans there, they are really good people. Not obnoxious at all like the Rangers. In fact, I told most that I spoke with that they look really good this year and they should win the division. Most all of them said they always think that and then they collapse and leave everyone heartbroken. They are just waiting for us to swoop in and over take them.

After sitting through 18 innings of verbal abuse and physical threats several years ago in the playoffs, I would vehemently disagree with you assessment of Seattle fans being really good people. They are foul-mouthed trash and deserve their team to collapse like last year. And no disrespect if you feel differently, but their women need to learn the benefits of a razor.

Rant over.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Frok said:

Breggy would be a rental, I don't think you are likely going to get a high prospect for him. Would the compensation pick be more valuable?
Bigger question is do you want to risk he accepts the QO?
superaggie73
AG
Marvin said:

superaggie73 said:

After sitting through 18 innings of verbal abuse and physical threats several years ago in the playoffs, I would vehemently disagree with you assessment of Seattle fans being really good people. They are foul-mouthed trash and deserve their team to collapse like last year. And no disrespect if you feel differently, but their women need to learn the benefits of a razor.

Rant over.

Lol…maybe a different crowd when they play a crappy team in the middle of June. I was also surprised how crappy their food options were and how slow the lines were. However the street vendors outside the stadium were much better.
First Page Last Page
Page 875 of 992

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.