***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,764,080 Views | 34702 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by bearkatag15
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yup. And we can move off one of them when we get hot and pick up someone like Alonso, Walker or Vlad.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

He started hot but he was horrendous in Boston. I would stick with what we have and be looking at the trade market if it's me.
Not me. I would 100% go get him and platoon him with Singleton.

Check the vs LHP #s

If you take Cooper's .377 xwOBA vs LHP and add it to Singleton's .352 xwOBA vs RHP then you have ~.360 xwOBA hitter at 1B the majority of the time. That would rank 8th in baseball for 1B just behind guys like Pasquantino & Naylor.

Then use the prospect capital to get arms.

What do you have to lose?
The more I think about this, the more obvious it is. We can go from near the bottom of baseball to top 10 by using league minimum guys. That perfectly counteracts the wasted money on Abreu. Unless we're 99% sure we're going to get Alonso we'd be stupid not to. And even then Alonso is 13th in xwOBA. This combo would be better based on expected data.

Bump since this is relevant again.
wmitchell
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Yup. And we can move off one of them when we get hot and pick up someone like Alonso, Walker or Vlad.
cc10106

(good stuff though)
Mathguy64
AG
Whatever they do they can't wait two weeks. They don't have any more margin of error. Every wasted AB matters.
W
AG
and the soft schedule is coming to an end soon

better feast on the White Sox and Rockies over the next 10 days
Johnsy3
AG
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

And if they're .500 at the ASB, I expect them to 100% be buyers at the deadline.
As they should be. As of now, .500 is 4 games out of the postseason. The Twins are on a heater (they'll cool) and the Royals are slipping up (could continue) so it may be fewer games than that.

Fangraphs is predicting 84-78 for the Royals and the final WC spot.
I believe in the Twins more than the Royals. Their SP has way underperformed. If those guys get going they could wind up winning that division. That said, the Royals schedule is soft from now til the end of July.

There are a few other teams ahead of us so it won't just be those two clubs. The Sox are a solid team that should get Casas back soon. The Jays are also similar to us with underperforming talent. If Springer and Bichette get going they could be trouble as well.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Johnsy3 said:

someone will pick him up
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower said:

Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

And if they're .500 at the ASB, I expect them to 100% be buyers at the deadline.
As they should be. As of now, .500 is 4 games out of the postseason. The Twins are on a heater (they'll cool) and the Royals are slipping up (could continue) so it may be fewer games than that.

Fangraphs is predicting 84-78 for the Royals and the final WC spot.
I believe in the Twins more than the Royals. Their SP has way underperformed. If those guys get going they could wind up winning that division. That said, the Royals schedule is soft from now til the end of July.

There are a few other teams ahead of us so it won't just be those two clubs. The Sox are a solid team that should get Casas back soon. The Jays are also similar to us with underperforming talent. If Springer and Bichette get going they could be trouble as well.

True. I don't believe in the Sox or Jays very much.

Hardest remaining schedule
1. TB
2. CLE
4. TOR
5. BOS
18. TEX
21. MIN
24. KC
27. HOU
29. SEA
texasaggie2015
AG
FWIW- I believe Toronto has started telling teams they will likely sell.
spadilly
S

Off days…

spadilly
S
…but Gig 'em, Aggie baseball!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Mathguy64 said:

There's no doubt he gets a QO. It would be silly not to. The question is has he played himself (or at least starting to play himself) this last month into a multi year offer?

The debate came from when I mentioned trading him. Someone mentioned if the return would be better than the compensation draft pick.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Anyone ever been to CWS game? I'll be in town for work and may have a night I can catch a game. Tickets are cheap!
Ag_07
AG
Just a month or so ago no one wanted to even think about giving Bregs a QO because of the thought that he may accept it.
Beau Holder
AG
I went with TA when A&M made it in 2011, haven't been back since but want to. It's an incredible experience for anyone who enjoys baseball.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Best guess, what would Alonso or Guerrero Jr take? Theyre rentals, would Chaz with some control work? Maybe someone you extra?
cc10106
Ag_07 said:

Just a month or so ago no one wanted to even think about giving Bregs a QO because of the thought that he may accept it.
He's proven himself enough in the past for me to expect this turnaround. Plus the 3B market is thin if i recall correctly. I still don't expect him to get whatever number was being thrown around early on.
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

FWIW- I believe Toronto has started telling teams they will likely sell.

Give me Vlad Jr please
Ag_07
AG
I generally don't like the idea of trading prospects for rentals but I'm not sure we have the ammo to acquire anything but rentals.

Gonna have to see how things shake out because I really don't like the thought of giving up prospects for a rental 1Bman then he walks and come next season we're still looking for a 1Bman.
cc10106
Since Dana mentioned not trading prospects for rentals last week i'm gonna assume that may happen.
tjack16
AG
Vlad isn't a rental. He's got another year after this
Ag_07
AG
tjack16 said:

Is giving up Pressly and Chas for Vlad too much?
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

tjack16 said:

Is giving up Pressly and Chas for Vlad too much

I think it would be worth it if the blue jays said yes but I'd imagine they would want a prospect over Pressly.
Ag_07
AG
They lost Romano early on and he's not back and Yimi Garcia went down with elbow soreness this weekend.
texasaggie2015
AG
The Astros were in on Romano before he went down actually
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

tjack16 said:

Not enough.
MaxPower
Ag_07 said:

tjack16 said:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Shapiro's office when he gets that offer….
tjack16
AG
MaxPower said:

Ag_07 said:

tjack16 said:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Shapiro's office when he gets that offer….

Yeah it'll take Chas, Pressly and a prospect probably. Or just Chas and two prospects with no Pressly
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I am fairly confident Presley wouldn't waive his no trade to go to a team that is openly selling
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Wonder if Press could be a piece or the piece (not sure his price) to get Alonso in order for them to flip him further.
All I do is Nguyen
Saw someone ask on X earlier today "if you could add any former Astros to this team who would it be?"

My answer was Nolan Ryan or The Big Unit
tjack16
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Saw someone ask on X earlier today "if you could add any former Astros to this team who would it be?"

2019 Gerrit Cole or 2019 Alex Bregman
Farmer1906
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

This guys suck now. Way too old. I'll take a Cole.
First Page Last Page
Page 877 of 992

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.