HOW TO - watching Aggie Baseball on your TV

138,153 Views | 244 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by greg.w.h
Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lots of folks have been asking about how to stream the Fightin Texas Aggie baseball games on their TV. There are basically two parts to it. The first, is to get access to the programming over the internet. The second part is streaming that programming to your TV.

First: Gain Access to the ESPN feed you need from your computer/tablet/phone.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. You need to have a cable provider that has an agreement to get BOTH WatchESPN content, and SEC Network + content. This is different than normal SEC content on watchESPN. AFAIK, all the big ones, now support it, including Time Warner, Dish, DirecTV, etc.
2. You will need to make an online account with your cable provider, and know your credentials.
3. Use your browser to go to: www.watchespn.com
4. Once prompted, select your cable provider from the list, and then enter the password you set up for your cable provider.
5. Now you should be authenticated.
6. Locate the Live Events area, and select the A&M baseball game you are after. It will normally have a little SEC+ icon next to it.
7. If your cable provider has the right relationship with ESPN, you will now see the video window open up to the game. This is good news, you can watch the whole game right there, if you want, on your PC or phone, etc.

Second: Watch your signal on your TV
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. This depends on how you want to go about it. You need something connected to your TV, which many of us connect via HDMI. (AFAIK, you can connect wirelessly over your home internet with Roku, Chromecast (for about $25). You can also use AppleTV, DVI to HDMI cable from certain laptops, and a lot of other internet connected devices. I haven't tried it from our Xbox 1, but I may soon.
2. Either get your device onto your network, or connect your cable to your TV.
3. Now get back on your computer/tablet/phone and access the WatchESPN feed, using the instructions in the first part.
4. Select that feed and cast it to your TV, if using chromecast. If using a direct cable from a laptop, use the Fn+F8 keys to send the video signal to your TV.

I am sure each setup is slightly different, so post your questions, and one of us can help you out. I hope this helps someone. If your TV was purchased in the last 15 years, and you have an internet connection, this is probably do-able, provided your cable provider has the right agreement in place. Don't get discouraged.

NOTE: After I wrote this, I found an alternate description for the first section on the 12th man site, here:
http://www.12thman.com/sports/2015/3/23/GEN_20140101236.aspx
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Stone44
AG
Many thanks, this old Ag needed the help.
trouble
AG
Definitely just ask. If BoerneGator can be taught to use a Chromecast, anyone can.
Sean98
AG
quote:
Definitely just ask. If BoerneGator can be taught to use a Chromecast, anyone can.

Because 1 blue star wasn't enough
greg.w.h
AG
It's specifically worth noting that the Sling TV offering with the Sports Extras package for $25 per month plus taxes/fees includes SEC WatchESPN access. It's probably the trendsetter for legal, inexpensive ESPN access. The best internet access will exceed 15 Mbps to allow best quality images while using other apps at the same time.

But even then, your mileage may vary depending on whether your ISP chooses to support or undermine Sling from a networking perspective since for Directv and Dish/Sling customers (Dish owns Sling TV) the watchespn is over the top vis-a-vis a cable company-provided internet service. The design of WatcESPN uses credentials only to authorize service, though, so as long as the provider itself offers WatchESPN--and even for the unlocked ESPN3 access most cable providers can offer SOME WatchESPN content--it is tough to strike narrowly at some WatchESPN users without hitting others.

https://www.sling.com
Aggieangler93
AG
I'd be interested to see what all folks use.

I have:
DirecTV and chromecast
histag10
AG
I have dish, but I just use a HDMI and connect my computer to my tv for the streamed games.
Aggieangler93
AG
So slingbox gets the SEC+ content too?
trouble
AG
I have suddenlink and Chromecast.
Bondag
AG
Uverse and Apple TV.
PatriotAg02
AG
Directv and Roku
greg.w.h
AG
quote:
So soingbox gets the SEC+ content too?

The specific package is Sling TV base plus Sports Extra. Dish bought Sling and extended the brand. I do not believe the box comes with a Sling TV sub. And all of the Sling TV content is offered via apps, usually brand apps. It is not DVRable AFAIK.

I use Uverse for both media and Internet and Appletv in four rooms (Appletv "4" n the main media room...it's merely ok while the previous Appletv at $69 remains a good Apple ecosystem junkie product.).

We're in a 45 Mbps neighborhood that might get upgraded to 300. A co-worker has SlingTV at my recommendation and currently has 75 Mbps Verizon Fios which is about to transition to Frontier. Both north of Dallas suburbs.
Aggie09Derek
AG
I've never had an issue with my ESPN app, but today it was only showing the stuff actually on TV and not all the extra stuff. I can watch from my phone/computer fine, but through the xbox its not showing our game or other extended programming stuff.

any ideas?
Jack Thauer
AG
Sling TV and Roku 2
AlphaBean
AG
Xbox and watchespn
BurnetAggie99
Aggieangler93
AG
Can you confirm that you are using the same login from the Xbox to espn, as you are from your other device to ESPN?
tam2002
AG
Have Roku and just use a buddy's direct tv login
AgBQ80
AG
DirectTV and Appletv
AGTX
AG
FYI anyone who uses chromecast and a Vizio tv (for sure this happens on Vizio. Other too maybe.) if the volume somewhat randomly fades to silent, turn off the "Volume Leveling" feature.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Pretty sure.
AlphaBean
AG
That's happened to me before. Had to completely sign out of watchespn and restart the Xbox.
ShawnTxAg
AG
Ipad, watchespn app, iPad hdmi adapter and you have baseball on the big screen!!
L8HIT
AG
Uverse + Amazon Fire TV
94chem
Can't I just play it on my phone and mirror the t.v.? Or does that degrade the signal too much?
Aggieangler93
AG
Only way to find out, is to try it. I am not sure my TV has that capability, or I would. If not, there are lots of options under $40 to get your signal from your phone to your TV. We're lucky with all the technological advancements in the last few years that allow so many different ways of getting the signal to your TV, from the internet.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
94chem
I watched the basketball game this way the other night. I just didn't know if there was a better way. When I mirror to the t.v., I don't know if the resolution of the portable device affects the t.v. picture or not, e.g. would a Galaxy S6 work better than a Galaxy S3?
histag10
AG
This seems like a decent place to ask since it seems a lot of you have cut the cable.

How easy is it to go from cable/satellite to a streaming service? Is it worth it to buy a dvr? Do you also use an antenna for local channels?

Has anyone tried this in a semi remote area?
ensign_beedrill
AG
To anyone using Sling: do you get SEC+ in the WatchESPN app? Not just regular SEC, but SEC+, where most of our games are going to be. I can't seem to find any information about it on Sling's website.
ensign_beedrill
AG
I've been living without cable for about eight years. I'm not a heavy TV watcher in the first place, though, so it wasn't a huge sacrifice. I have a cheap antenna and can catch lots of local channels. The picture is great. (I live in Houston, though... not remote.) I do not have a DVR; if there's any show I want to watch, I can usually find it on the network's site. If the network does not have the show available for free on their site, I just write it off. I can get DVD season sets from the library and binge on a season. Better than waiting each week for a new episode anyway.

The only thing I truly miss from this setup is live sports.
histag10
AG
Good to know, thanks.

Can't you stream live sports from whatever it is that you use?
ensign_beedrill
AG
I can get sports on my antenna, but only those on ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and the like. No ESPN or cable-only networks. I get really excited when the Aggies are playing on one of the broadcast networks.

I watched a lot of the World Cup in Spanish on Univision.
histag10
AG
Ah, I thought espn and a few of its channels came with sling.

Letting go of sports will be hard for me.

I'm paying roughly 230 a month for dish and internet. Just looking to bring that down. It's down from the near 300 I was paying when I had directv (our local cable company is really outrageous too).
trouble
AG
They do. I think he's just using an antenna.
histag10
AG
Ah, thanks! That will be much easier then. Now to continue to convince my huaband. We already have prime, so I can pick up some stuff on that.

Still a ways away from the end of our contract, but the person who sold us on dish flat out lied about a lot of the stuff, so we have been told we would be let out without a fee if we wanted.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.