HOW TO - watching Aggie Baseball on your TV

141,501 Views | 244 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by greg.w.h
ktc00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just cut the cord this past week. Had directv along with netflix, prime etc. Went with youtubetv. Was able to log in to the espn+ app with our youtubetv credentials and watch the game today. So far so good and happy we dropped dish.
Aggieangler93
AG
Tons of issues this weekend with YouTube TV and getting ESPN app to authenticate. My phone would authenticate but app on any other devices would not.

Edit....I emailed ESPN about this, and they indicated that they are aware of issues with folks using this combination being unable to authenticate. Evidently, they don't care much to resolve it.

This is what is not presently working:
ESPN app for Amazon Fire Stick authenticating with Youtube TV as provider

The authentication screen tries to load about 5 or 6 times, and then just re-directs back to the "Choose your provider" interface.

Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
greg.w.h
AG
ktc00 said:

Just cut the cord this past week. Had directv along with netflix, prime etc. Went with youtubetv. Was able to log in to the espn+ app with our youtubetv credentials and watch the game today. So far so good and happy we dropped dish.
One note: as far as I am aware the ESPN+ content still requires a separate sub. The SECN content of course is activated by authentication through the media provider as is the stream ESPN content, the traditional ESPN3 content, and the SECN and ACCN offerings. ESPN+ has highlighted Big 12 content and lots of intriguing non P5 content. No...we aren't paying for that sub. Did trial it for a Manziel CFL game.
Aggieangler93
AG
greg.w.h said:

ktc00 said:

One note: as far as I am aware the ESPN+ content still requires a separate sub. The SECN content of course is activated by authentication through the media provider as is the stream ESPN content, the traditional ESPN3 content, and the SECN and ACCN offerings. ESPN+ has highlighted Big 12 content and lots of intriguing non P5 content. No...we aren't paying for that sub. Did trial it for a Manziel CFL game.
This is correct. ESPN+ is a separate charge all on it's own.
greg.w.h
AG
A new twist is the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ package. You should be able to register both a media provider and the combo package id. In my experience that combo of replaces your personal espn website id. So far the Hulu profiles and Disney+ profiles are created distinctly and not linked. So far the ESPN+ linked account does not offer separate profiles.

We do not have Hulu Live so rely only Charter/Spectrum for live content other than ESPN+ content. We happen to be in a Spectrum Community and the Spectrum login id (in Texas) enables the live content.

I know this can be confusing. But it confirms the earlier post regarding ESPN+ being distinct from most of the cable/satellite content UNLESS you have all-in-one programming via Hulu Live.
greg.w.h
AG
Interesting note from Suddenlink customer and poster on a basketball post:

rhp said:

Trying to find out why on Suddenlink you can't get SEC+ I came across a tech forum that helped. If you logged into Altice One instead of Suddenlink it worked. Hope it will work from now on.

I'm not a Suddenlink customer but might be a workaround.
texasaggie04
AG
Can anybody give a quick update of recent events with Disney+ and its effect? If I subscribe to the Disney, Hulu, ESPN package will I be able to stream the season? Or do I also need to purchase cable TV which I refuse to do?

Edit: I know there's some info above... But I'm lost in it.
greg.w.h
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Can anybody give a quick update of recent events with Disney+ and its effect? If I subscribe to the Disney, Hulu, ESPN package will I be able to stream the season? Or do I also need to purchase cable TV which I refuse to do?

The casts of home baseball games for all SEC contests likely will require SECN licensing and cable/sat/over-the-top streaming media login credentials for SECN+ for those not viewable on linear channels.

For baseball I am not aware of a plan to put baseball games on ESPN+ like that announced for one ooc football game and two men's basketball games announced concurrent with awarding the OTA broadcast rights to ESPN/ABC replacing CBS.

What can happen is away contests at non-SEC venues could be put on ESPN+ if the opposing team's media rights support that. The women's BB game v. UALR this fall was that kind of broadcast.

Others might have more info.
Summer Breeze
AG
We have YouTubeTV and the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ package, and I can't seem to get logged into the game on my tv. Any ideas?
greg.w.h
AG
Summer Breeze said:

We have YouTubeTV and the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ package, and I can't seem to get logged into the game on my tv. Any ideas?
Use YouTube TV for your provider to view the game. You have to have a package that includes SECN as a linear channel.
greg.w.h
AG
To sign in to ESPN+ we use our Disney+ credentials.
curry97
AG
I can watch it on my phone, and Roku tv in bedroom but can't on my Samsung tv in living room for some reason. At least I can watch it somewhere.
greg.w.h
AG
curry97 said:

I can watch it on my phone, and Roku tv in bedroom but can't on my Samsung tv in living room for some reason. At least I can watch it somewhere.
SmartTVs often don't get updates after about three years. I recommend Roku or casting to Chromecast or AppleTV.

We are firmly in the Apple ecosystem so we use AppleTV for ESPN content in the main room and master bedroom. It works very well and whatever content I can't play there I usually can cast from my iPhone. But that's my experience. We use Spectrum because the apartment has a package with silver tier without movies and 300 Mbps download for $80 per month and we aren't allowed to connect other equipment/services. It has more limitations than true residential Spectrum but Spectrum entered a consent decree to absorb Time Warner Cable that disallows download caps until 2023 due largely to TWC's Roadrunner solution being free of data caps.
texasaggie04
AG
greg.w.h said:

texasaggie04 said:

The casts of home baseball games for all SEC contests likely will require SECN licensing and cable/sat/over-the-top streaming media login credentials for SECN+ for those not viewable on linear channels.

For baseball I am not aware of a plan to put baseball games on ESPN+ like that announced for one ooc football game and two men's basketball games announced concurrent with awarding the OTA broadcast rights to ESPN/ABC replacing CBS.

What can happen is away contests at non-SEC venues could be put on ESPN+ if the opposing team's media rights support that. The women's BB game v. UALR this fall was that kind of broadcast.

So if I understand correctly, I won't be able to watch the games if I have the Disney, Hulu, ESPN package unless I also subscribe to cable?
Jethro95
AG
Cable or a streaming package that includes the ESPN channels, specifically SEC Network. A lot of people get YouTube TV for this.
greg.w.h
AG
texasaggie04 said:

greg.w.h said:

texasaggie04 said:

So if I understand correctly, I won't be able to watch the games if I have the Disney, Hulu, ESPN package unless I also subscribe to cable?
Thats correct for all SEC home games where we are host or away as far as is am aware. Vidgo is another in the over-the-top, pure streaming category like YouTube TV and Hulu Live TV that is offering intro pricing that is quite favorable.

EDIT: Poster "I already have a dog" checked and Fox Regional Sports Network broadcasts might not be available or might be locally available based on location. Sinclair owns the formerly Fox-owned RSNs and the YES network and is notoriously acrimonious on negotiations with media providers. So I'm not surprised though it's just business.
sburg2007
Anyone unable to sling from espn app to chrome cast? The
Austin Ag
AG
ESPN app for me does not work on my pad or phone. Simply does not display the video and eventually crashes.
greg.w.h
AG
Austin Ag said:

ESPN app for me does not work on my pad or phone. Simply does not display the video and eventually crashes.
Which pad / phone and what model of each?
tlfw378
AG
I have dish and up to today I have been able to watch SEC baseball. Today ESPN+ is wanting $59.99 annual for their content.
BQ_90
AG
tlfw378 said:

I have dish and up to today I have been able to watch SEC baseball. Today ESPN+ is wanting $59.99 annual for their content.
The game was AT SHSU that's why it was on ESPN+, just like the UH game. If you want to watch then you have to pay for espn +
tlfw378
AG
Thanks.
greg.w.h
AG
Home games at SEC venues are usually on SECN+ and may show up on the SECN linear or more rarely one of the ESPN primary linear channels. We know starting in the fall one out of conference home football game and two ooc basketball games will be shown on ESPN+. I have not heard if other sports will also put games in ESPN+.

As already noted, ESPN+ can separately contract with other schools to put thei home games-especially against schools with larger fan bases-on ESPN+. Remember ESPN agreed to $20 million per member institution including the conference office annually offering 5x was CBS paid. The agreement offers a ton of flexibility in exchange for some sacrifice. ESPN now programs everything we cast on TV. And pays a pretty penny for the privilege.
greg.w.h
AG
tonytx05 did some excellent research on an issue with using a lightning to HDMI adapter on an iPhone specifically the Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter. His experience is you cannot cast through this adapter to a hdmi receiver (aka HD TV). ESPN likely turned the feature off at the ESPN app. There are mixed internet responses on the same approach with Android phones but it seems it may be disabled for the ESPN app on those phones as well.

YMMV
PhatMack19
AG
Anyone else have trouble with the espn app on Firestick? About halfway through the season it quit loading. I've deleted it, cleared everything multiple times and it never works. I spend 30 min each night cussing my TV until I give up.

I can watch on my phone just fine and every other app on the Firestick works great
greg.w.h
AG
Try this:

https://community.spectrum.net/discussion/168592/unable-to-watch-espn-app-on-firestick
Aggieangler93
AG
Nvrmnd
buttonhook
I had SEC + Plus on Comcast cable here Tomball Houston area last year. Not able to get it now. Tells me I am not in the plan or it is not in my region. Trying to get. I watched baseball, basketball, volleyball, and track last year. Stills comes up on my TV shows the games, but says not on plan or region.
greg.w.h
AG
buttonhook said:

I had SEC + Plus on Comcast cable here Tomball Houston area last year. Not able to get it now. Tells me I am not in the plan or it is not in my region. Trying to get. I watched baseball, basketball, volleyball, and track last year. Stills comes up on my TV shows the games, but says not on plan or region.
My first go to for mobile devices is reset cache or just uninstall and reinstall app. Set top boxes and USB devices too.

Definitely for browser viewing clear cache.
SchizoAg
AG
Is Sling TV still the cheapest legal way to watch SECN+, for people who don't already have some TV service?

Their current price is $35 for Orange, plus $11 for Sports Extra, for a total of $46/month.
nickescott85
AG
Any help here would be appreciated...

I have Hulu Live and the Disney/ESPN+ bundle. I logged into the ESPN app put in my Hulu login in the TV provider. I can what ESPN+ games but not SECN+. I could watch last year but could not watch Softball last weekend.

Any thoughts?

Do I need to add ESPN+ to my Hulu Live subscription and cancel my bundle with Disney?
greg.w.h
AG
nickescott85 said:

Any help here would be appreciated...

I have Hulu Live and the Disney/ESPN+ bundle. I logged into the ESPN app put in my Hulu login in the TV provider. I can what ESPN+ games but not SECN+. I could watch last year but could not watch Softball last weekend.

Any thoughts?

Do I need to add ESPN+ to my Hulu Live subscription and cancel my bundle with Disney?
Log in with Disney+ account you created with Hulu bundle AS your ESPN account to get ESPN+ access. Not convenient if more than one family member wants to follow different teams…

Fubo is higher than Sling Orange + Sports extra at 64.99
YouTube TV is same as Fubo at 64.99
Directv stream that includes SECN is $79.99.

jigsaw87
jess09
Buy the Apple TV box for I think $179…you're done there's no fees no subscription ..take your Iphone and mirror it to your Apple TV if you have an IPhone. Watch the games on TV Walla.
greg.w.h
AG
jess09 said:

Buy the Apple TV box for I think $179…you're done there's no fees no subscription ..take your Iphone and mirror it to your Apple TV if you have an IPhone. Watch the games on TV Walla.
Can authenticate on the ESPN app on tvOS as well and free up the phone from casting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.