HOW TO - watching Aggie Baseball on your TV

141,485 Views | 244 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by greg.w.h
ensign_beedrill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
They do. I think he's just using an antenna.
Right. I just have antenna. Thinking about Sling for sports though. At least during baseball season.
Aggie09Derek
AG
So weird. I've never had an issue streaming anything through my xbox and now it's just showing the stuff that is live on their networks but none of the extra stuff (SEC +).

I can stream through computer but I really like going through my xbox and watching on the big screen.
histag10
AG
Do you have a laptop or desktop?

You should be able to just connect your computer to your TV with hdmi
Aggie09Derek
AG
Yes I can do that....I just want the issue fixed for future games.

A friend texted me it must be an Xbox issue because it's doing the exact thing for him and he has Direct TV and I have uverse.
histag10
AG
ensign_beedrill
AG
quote:
To anyone using Sling: do you get SEC+ in the WatchESPN app? Not just regular SEC, but SEC+, where most of our games are going to be. I can't seem to find any information about it on Sling's website.
I signed up for a free week of Sling yesterday and was indeed able to watch the SECN+ game via WatchESPN. In case anyone was curious.
JADE
AG
I have Suddenlink, Roku and a wireless router. If I don't use Roku for a few days, it makes me reauthenticate to watch. Anyway to avoid this? It's a little annoying because the only way I've been able to do it is deactivate on Roku, reactivate on Roku to get the new code, then logon to es.pn/roku with a PC/tablet and enter the code to activate. Any advice to avoid this process?
trouble
AG
Nope. It's a suddenlink issue. Happens to me on my phone anytime I'm watching away from home.
greg.w.h
AG
I attempted to use my xbone for an evening to test availability of SEC+ content. At first I couldn't find any and then signed out and signed back in and it worked. But then I also got periodic errors that stopped the stream and essentially required reauthentication (Uverse as underlying ISP). So went back to the Appletv.

In the fwiw category, I haven't tried mirroring directly to my tv but have mirrored both iPhone and MacBook Pro to Appletv. I do not care for the loss of control of either screen to mirroring which is what led me to splurge on excess Appletvs. Especially with the third gen Appletv at $69 (or modestly less on sale) that supports 1080p, mirroring is a bit more inconvenient.

EDIT: Guess I should add...the ESPN app on the XBone is organized differently than on the Appletv and frankly is somewhat easier to find things on. On Appletv as often as not I end up looking by channel on the channels tab.

The other issue is that when they shunt games to WatchESPN while another game is concluding on one of their over cable broadcasts, they often set up a separate feed on the live tv page rather than starting the actual broadcast on the expected channel list. Very annoying though less likely to affect baseball as often.
Bondag
AG
Apple TV for $65

For those watching this thread Apple TV is $65 dollars on Groupon today. I have not had an issue with ESPN, Netflix or mirroring Texags on these.
Bondag
AG
Refurbished Chromecast for $16.
Aggieangler93
AG
quote:
quote:
To anyone using Sling: do you get SEC+ in the WatchESPN app? Not just regular SEC, but SEC+, where most of our games are going to be. I can't seem to find any information about it on Sling's website.
I signed up for a free week of Sling yesterday and was indeed able to watch the SECN+ game via WatchESPN. In case anyone was curious.
Thanks for this info. I have been considering cutting the cable for a while, and the live sports streams were also something I wanted to not miss out on. I watch a lot of MLB baseball, and a lot of Aggie baseball. If I was sure I could get those through sling, and pick up my odd Discovery channel favorites on their website, I would probably do so. I think 90% of what my kids watch, is on netflix anyway.

What does the Sling service run a month? Do you have to have their hardware like a slingbox? Also, is there a setup that supports a DVR device in the mix?
histag10
AG
$20/month. Need a stream thing like roku, chromecast, etc from what I can gather.

No dvr, but you can watch for 3 days after air (correct?)
greg.w.h
AG
quote:
$20/month. Need a stream thing like roku, chromecast, etc from what I can gather.

My understanding is to see SEC Network content, you need the Sports Extra package which is $5 per month extra over the base $20 (not including fees and/or taxes.) I think the 3 days is about right for availability of previously live streamed content. HOWEVER: I have searched FAQs and other information sources and do not see a stated limit on availability of replay content. Which means ESPN might not be committed to any specific timeframe.
Deez86
APPLE TV it's fast and easy !!
aezmvp
quote:
quote:

My understanding is to see SEC Network content, you need the Sports Extra package which is $5 per month extra over the base $20 (not including fees and/or taxes.) I think the 3 days is about right for availability of previously live streamed content. HOWEVER: I have searched FAQs and other information sources and do not see a stated limit on availability of replay content. Which means ESPN might not be committed to any specific timeframe.

This is correct although out of market replays tend to ago up same or next day. Sling is $25 for one set top with the ESPN extras. The only issue is that its only one screen. Meaning if you want to watch TV and you're on sling, then someone else cant be on Sling at the same time. However if you are cord cutting you will probably have netflix/amazon/hulu/HBO Now. If you have kids who want the Disney content cutting is somewhat more difficult. I understand you can get multiple Slings though and go say $45 and have two, one with sports and go that way.
histag10
AG
I think Disney/cartoon network and a few others are a $5 add on package as well
Horn Saw
AG
I the Aggie baseball games on my Roku box. Works good. I watch the Aggie basketball games.
Horn Saw
AG
quote:
I watch the Aggie baseball games on my Roku box. Works good. I watch the Aggie basketball games.
BoerneGator
AG
How is it possible to record the game using chromecast? Or is it?
AGTX
AG
If you are just trying to watch the game later, you can watch games up to a week later on the watch ESPN app.
AGSmith
AG
I think you might need an Xbox Live Gold subscription to watch the SECN+ games live. I can see the upcoming games (usually a week out), but I can't get any of them to show live or replay.
Aggie09Derek
AG
I have a subscription
BoerneGator
AG
Is the quality of picture a function of signal strength? Last two games have not been in HD.
trouble
AG
Yes
BoerneGator
AG
Wonder why it varies?
trouble
AG
It's your provider.
BoerneGator
AG
But I've had HD for previous games (last year).
trouble
AG
But speed can vary. I'd call and talk to them.
BoerneGator
AG
Will do. Thx.
BoerneGator
AG
I'm using Chromecast off my phone, and just switched from wifi to phone tower with no change in service quality. Makes me wonder.
BoerneGator
AG
I get HD on my iPad, but not the TV.
Aggieangler93
AG
It sounds like if you have HD signal to your phone, and you aren't getting HD on the TV, something is up with your wireless network internal speed.

1. Try to bounce your router.
2. Do you own the router? If not, call your provider and ask them if they can do a diagnostic on it, over the wire.
3. If you own it, and have had recent lightning storms, you may have an issue there. They are very sensitive to lightning.
4. How far is your phone from your router when trying to stream chromecast from your phone? Maybe your signal strength is weak. You could try starting the stream, and putting your phone close to the router.
5. How far is the TV you're casting to from the router? Signal from the wireless router could be weak.

These are just my ideas to try. If you have a tablet also, I have noticed that my tablet will cast games for hours and hours without an interruption, whereas my phone will drop the chromecast signal every once in a while.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
BoerneGator
AG
Thanks for the suggestions. The router is mine, and it's 12' from the TV, but in the next room. The set up is the same as last season, and I didn't have the issue, thus the confusion. My phone or iPad are 15' from the router. Think I previously always have casted from my iPad, but I'm watching a replays rom the iPad now, and the HD comes and goes, although I have HD on the iPad.
skoal_man12
AG
I use Xbox 1 and Apple TV to watch Sec + on our big screen tv's

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.