HOW TO - watching Aggie Baseball on your TV

141,503 Views | 244 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by greg.w.h
woodometer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have only seen Directv advertise this feature
Rocky Rider
AG
DirectTV customer with Roku this year. Unbelievably sweet!

I have a DSL connection from Century Link and I'm watching Texas Aggie baseball in HD on the big screen. I mentioned DSL because I didn't expect results this good. I should point out that my modem is located next to my A/V Receiver so I ran an ethernet cable from the Century Link modem to the Roku and then HDMI cable from the Roku to the A/V Receiver (Denon 720) (or run it to your TV if you don't route A/V through a Receiver). No wifi bandwidth to contend with and really good performance.

PSA: if you get the WatchESPN error code 066:'(...service did not return account information...)' and WatchESPN doesn't play live TV, simply deactivate live TV in the Roku WatchESPN app (there's an option on the WatchESPN app menu below all of the games that are listed) then go back into WatchESPN and select the game that you want to watch live. You'll be given a code and a web site to enter the code and you're back in business. I was apprehensive about 'deactivating' live TV but no worries now.

Picadillo
I watch until the 8th inning. Then I turn it off and grab a bottle of scotch.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
For some reason I cannot stream in HD on the DirecTv app or on my Apple TV. Apple TV starts to stream in HD, but then drops to SD almost immediately. The DTV stream is even noticeably poorer quality. Both are connected to my U-verse wifi router.

Maybe my internet connection isn't fast enough to stream HD?
Bondag
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

For some reason I cannot stream in HD on the DirecTv app or on my Apple TV. Apple TV starts to stream in HD, but then drops to SD almost immediately. The DTV stream is even noticeably poorer quality. Both are connected to my U-verse wifi router.

Maybe my internet connection isn't fast enough to stream HD?
Uverse won't admit it, but they have an issue with watch espn. I can stream anything but watch espn without issue. I switch to my cell hotspot and get clear picture again
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Gotcha!

I notice that my iPhone is the same SD as my ATV over my wifi. However, when I turn off wifi on my iphone and use 4G, the picture is much better. This explains why. Unfortunately, this doesn't help me trying to watch on a TV. I've noticed that other apps stream just fine in HD on my ATV.

I thought it was because I have the basic U-Verse download speed of 6Mbps.

Hopefully this issue will be fixed soon.
greg.w.h
AG
Have 48Mbps U-verse in McKinney and a rather long conversation with the installer when it was put in.

For me, I pay out of the 48 with up to 2 Mbps for each SD settop box stream and 1.5 Mbps set aside for the phone. The draw goes to 5-7 Mbps for each HD settop box stream.

So you could test making sure all of the settop boxes are not steaming (typically no green light on the power switch) and see if that helps. I do not have the HD to SD demotion every time though frankly the quality of U-verse Internet is nothing to brag about. So occasionally it demotes to SD and stays stuck on occasion. A reboot of all of the network devices often unsticks the SD. For me they includes their residential gateway, my primary router that adds a NAT layer, and the ATV. All down together then one at a time back up. Hope that helps.
baseball_ag
AG
I was seeing the same issue with uverse gigpower (1Gb connection). I tried disabling ipv6 on the uverse router and the picture cleared up. I only tested it for a couple hours last night, but it was a noticeable improvement.
Aggieangler93
AG
Any further testing on this? I am seeing the same issue with Gigapower and WatchESPN over DirecTV.
greg.w.h
AG
The advice on disabling IPv6 is a good starting place for Uverse. As of December 2016 they had techs claiming their IPv6 wasn't ready for end consumer use though some technophiles work around the limitations.

Directv does not have an internet offering so I'm guessing you mean they are the media provider you sign into innorder to authenticate with WatchESPN. I've frankly never seen a difference based on authentication or "login" provider over I think three or four providers. Including logging in on other providers' networks.
Aggieangler93
AG
Lately, I have ended up going back to the chromecast option more, as the WatchESPN app over DirecTV sucks concerning the signal maintain-ability for some reason.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
gigemags-99
AG
KidDoc
AG
Thanks for this thread- I'm using Dish with a basic package + regional action pack ($12/month) and chromecast.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggieangler93
AG
Has anyone tried the WatchESPN app over DirecTV this season on Gigapower? It sucked so bad I forgot about it last year. I am hoping it works better this year.

I will say that casting from my phone on the watchESPN app has been bulletproof lately, so I always fall back to that.
falcon09
AG
Anyone else unable to watch baseball on the DirecTV app?

The only "Live" options I have are the TV channels that I could tune to (ESPN, ESPN2, SECN, etc).
twk
AG
falcon09 said:

The only "Live" options I have are the TV channels that I could tune to (ESPN, ESPN2, SECN, etc).
Yes, I've had that problem too. Really defeats the purpose of the app to only have games that are on DirecTV channels. What's the point?
Aggieangler93
AG
falcon09 said:

I noticed this too. The Directv app doesn't seem to be able to page through the list of live events correctly, so it only shows 5 or 6 possibilities while the WatchESPN app on my phone (using same DirecTV login), will sometimes like 30 events possible at the same time.

FWIW, I have recently picked up an Amazon Fire Stick and the streaming experience is so much better on it, than anything else I have used. WatchESPN on it, seems almost bulletproof over my fiber connection.
greg.w.h
AG
Navigating the post ESPN+ iPhone "ESPN" App:

The iPhone ESPN app has a "Watch" triangle along the bottom that has these three approaches to finding events:

"Live" (and for the new ESPN+ over-the-top offering variants "Live on ESPN+" and "Upcoming on ESPN+) which has a list of currently broadcasting "events" labeled with the broadcast "platform" (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNews, SECN)

"Sports" which has an icon per sport and some others like "Southeastern Conference" that lists Live then upcoming today, upcoming next day, etc. Under the Live and Upcoming on the umbrella "Baseball" it then has a "Leagues" line with icons for MLB, Liga Mexicano Del Pacifico, NCAA Baseball, World Baseball Cup for further filtering (some also listed on the sports list)

Various categories of videos

and at the bottom of the "Watch" triangle the traditional "Channels" including the broadcast brands AND the streaming brands (ESPN3, SECN+, ACC, LHN, etc.)

All of these have a "Live", "Upcoming Today", "Tomorrow", then future days for seven additional days of events.

If you know what the channel is you get the most complete presentation of upcoming neatly grouped by days. If you know what sport you get a single side-scrolling list of all events across all channels for roughly the next five days.
Dr. Mike 69
AG
Dang, all this technology bs. I just stopped using the slide rule and advanced up to a four function calculator.
Dr. Mike '69
greg.w.h
AG
Dr. Mike 69 said:

Dang, all this technology bs. I just stopped using the slide rule and advanced up to a four function calculator.

Also referred to as a "four banger".

I went to four high schools in four years and was the first class at each to use a calculator. I found a very nice slide rule in the middle of a suburban, high-traffic boulevard with no identification on it and so I have one of those, too. And I learned how to use an abacus from an ethnic Chinese shopkeeper in Indonesia while in my early teens. Probably why I enjoy capturing usage patterns to share.
greg.w.h
AG
This was posted verbatim by OSOB on a football thread. Felt it was worthy of quoting here:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

I tried sling orange ($30/month) with an antenna. Got all the ESPNs, SECN, etc. CBS, NBC, ABC on antenna but no FOX reception here in Austin. FOX is broadcast in UHF I think and my antenna picks up both UHF and VHF but no luck.

So I switched to Hulu TV ($40/month). Includes all locals (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX) so I'll easily be able to switch between games which is nice. Has 50 channels total which is about 20 more than Sling. Also has DVR included which Sling does not. You just can't fast forward through commercials like on cable DVR. The interface is much better than Sling too. You also get regular Hulu streaming service included with no commercials which is really nice if you like their streaming library. They have a 7 day free trial as well so it doesn't hurt to try it before you pay anything.

I didn't like YouTube TV for multiple reasons.

Here's the best channel comparison I've seen

Aggieangler93
AG
Any up to date info from cord cutters on Aggie baseball watching capability?

I am getting really tired of DirecTV.

What are y'all using?
greg.w.h
AG
The article from OldShadeOfBlue was updated in November. I'm about to cord cut Spectrum, so I'm interested, too, if anyone has suggestions.

One point worth mentioning is Spectrum/Charter has a consent agreement for their merger with Tine Warner Cable that prevents download data caps through 2023 for Internet service. Can help for negotiating with capped offerings.
SchizoAg
AG
Sling TV, YouTube TV, and Hulu Plus all offer SEC Network. Does anyone know if SEC Network Plus is included?

Edit: According to this page, apparently it is included in all three.
test sig
twk
AG
I haven't read back through the thread, but thought I would add this brand specific news:

Like a lot of folks, I've got a Samsung smart TV, and had not been able to add the ESPN app to the TV's apps. However, that has changed. If you do a search for available apps, ESPN now comes up. You have to download the app, then activate it (get on ESPN on another device to enter the code that pops up on your TV screen), but once you do that, it makes it easy for satellite (and presumably cable) subscribers who have SEC Network access to actually watch the game on their TV without having to hook up another device.
tonytx05
AG
We've been using PlayStation Vue for a few years now. Gets us SEC Network and the ESPN login we need to watch SEC Network+.
GarryowenAg
AG
How do I watch the game tonight while I don't have YouTube TV?
Aggieangler93
AG
SpiDer09 said:

How do I watch the game tonight while I don't have YouTube TV?
Sorry for the late reply, but it may help someone in the future, so I will post it:

I watched it via the Youtube app I downloaded on my Amazon Fire Stick. I do not have a Youtube TV subscription or anything. It was a simple 3 step process with Amazon Fire Stick (already configured for my TV and network):

1. Open Home screen in Fire, and go to apps, and select and download the Youtube app
2. Once download completes, open the Youtube app, which will prompt you to do so, using Silk or Firefox browser. (I picked firefox)
3. Once Youtube opens in the browser you selected, use the on screen magnifying glass icon to search for Dallas Baptist Baseball by keying in the alphabet letters with your fire remote.

You can also watch it, as you would anything else on Youtube via your computer or cell phone, AFAIK.
Aggieangler93
AG
Has anyone experienced this?

We have an Amazon Fire Stick that we watch on, regularly. Last night, when we tried to access SEC+ content, there is a message about that channel not being part of our package. We are logged in with our DirecTV credentials, which I know are valid, and I know we have the channel authorized, because, well see below.

The odd thing, is when I go to the DirecTV ESPN app (via hitting the red button on an ESPN channel), if I can find the game there, I was able to watch it. The problem with that, is that our game tonight, and fairly regularly is not listed on the stupid DirecTV version of the ESPN app.

So it is happening again this evening at the house, and I am at the office, on the internet, watching WatchESPN and seeing the game just fine.

Seems to be an amazon fire problem, I guess, but I bet it is somehow related to the passing and detecting of the DirecTV credentials.

Jimma
I'm watching the game at Kentucky on SEC+ via espn thru Suddenlink and Roku. The picture appears to be jerking. When the game is at Blue Bell my picture quality is excellent. I'm thinking it is the difference in the type of equipment used at each school when they stream the games. I have also noticed a difference while watching other sporting events on SEC+ at other schools. If it is the equipment then maybe the SEC should have a standard for the equipment used by each school to stream their sporting events on SEC+. Keep up the good work 12th Man Productions.
SenorAG
AG
I just downloaded ESPN app on my smart tv and then signed in to my spectrum account.
RebelAG
AG
Does anyone know how to access video coverage of the UH game on 4/16? Will it be on WatchESPN?
HTown Aggie
AG
RebelAG said:

Does anyone know how to access video coverage of the UH game on 4/16? Will it be on WatchESPN?
Try this link. Houston Cougar feed.

Cougars All-Access ($)

MSTC Man
AG
Are any of you Suddenlink subscribers having issues streaming the ESPN app?
When I'm stream I can watch ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPN3 but cannot stream SEC Network or the Longhorn network. I have contact Suddenlink multiple times but they can not find the problem. Are there others out there having this problem? Any suggestions?
Aggieangler93
AG
I have cut the cord and will be using YoutubeTV this year to stream the games. I am hoping I am watching content from Nebraska at the end of the season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.