Bubble Watch

130,262 Views | 1067 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SABUILDERAG
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am one of the most optimistic on here - but I think finishing the SEC regular season with a 7-1 or 8-0 mark to finish 15-3 or 16-2 (all achievable the way we are playing now and with our favorable home schedule - hosting the three or even four other top teams) - even winning the SEC Regular Season Title (which will take a couple of Alabama losses before their losing to us at Reed on final game of the regular season) gets us up to a 5 seed at best due to our nonconference performance.

It'll take THAT plus a run to the SECT finals (like last year) and possibly winning the whole thing to get us into "privileged" or "protected" NCAAT seed territory at 3 or 4.
Proposition Joe
Said it last week and it still holds - it's pretty crazy that with the way we are playing and the way our schedule works out (Tenn and Alabama at Reed, no return trip), that while you can make a decent case we might miss the tournament, you can also make a less strong but still perfectly sane case that we could win the conference regular season.

It's still a bit of a longshot, but if Alabama takes a loss in the next 10 days... which is roughly a 65-75% likelihood, and we go unscathed the next 10 days (~20-25% likelihood), then last 2 weeks of the season we're playing for a conference title.
fightintxag13
AG
I thought I might've been a little too generous at 3, but I do feel confident it gets us to a 4 or 5.
NyAggie
AG
I'm predicting us to finish 14-4

I think we win the next 3 to get to 11-2

then we lose at mizzou (I just think they will have a lights out shooting day at home against us)

then we beat either tennessee or bama, plus win at ole miss and at miss st

my second scenario has us beating both tennessee and bama at home but losing at miss st for 14-4

my third scenario is 13-5 with either tennessee or bama as a win, and at miss st as a loss

greg.w.h
AG
I don't think any predictions have much merit. Showing up at Reed is more valuable than all the predictions as we saw against Georgia.

I do appreciate the current students, former students and locals that made that happen as it is the most effective way to influence the team to play their best.
bobinator
AG
greg.w.h said:

I don't think any predictions have much merit. Showing up at Reed is more valuable than all the predictions as we saw against Georgia
Statements like this are why I know it's some kind of chatbot.
Pumpkinhead
AG
NyAggie said:

I'm predicting us to finish 14-4

I think we win the next 3 to get to 11-2

then we lose at mizzou (I just think they will have a lights out shooting day at home against us)

then we beat either tennessee or bama, plus win at ole miss and at miss st

my second scenario has us beating both tennessee and bama at home but losing at miss st for 14-4

my third scenario is 13-5 with either tennessee or bama as a win, and at miss st as a loss
I think we match up well with the Vols and would give us right now 50-50 chance to win (maybe even slight favor to win) on our home court. I think Tenn is a better team but I honestly don't think the gap between how they are playing and we currently are is very big.

However, I don't like our chances with Bama at all. Don't like the matchup and they are clearly more talented. My main hope would be relying on us shooting hot that day while they are somewhat disinterested just going through the motions (i.e., as they were in their @OU game a week ago). I'd be at like...25% confidence of winning that game right now even at home. Bama is a legit, elite level national title contender.
PJYoung
AG
I think we all know we're ending up at 12-6.

fightintxag13
AG
Absolutely agree. Tennessee's offense is too inconsistent, and I think we're playing as good of defense as they are, if not slightly better. Home crowd pushes that one in our favor. I don't see them making it to the Final Four due to their offensive struggles.

Bama is a terrible matchup for us even at home.
bobinator
AG
It's kind of a weird dynamic, I think all of these things are true at the same time:

- Tennessee, overall, is just as good as Alabama
- Tennessee wouldn't have to play as much below normal, or us as much above normal, for us to beat them compared to Alabama
- Alabama is more likely to just check out and play terribly
bobinator
AG
We're not only going to go 12-6, we're going to walk exactly down the scenario that Prop Joe has been talking about, the bubble is going to massively shrink, and all of the other bubble teams are going to ball out in their conference tournaments, which this year will be weighed heavily.
NyAggie
AG
bobinator said:

It's kind of a weird dynamic, I think all of these things are true at the same time:

- Tennessee wouldn't have to play as much below normal, or us as much above normal, for us to beat them compared to Alabama
yep

t - cam
AG
bobinator said:

Maybe get a slight break if bama has the league wrapped up by the time we play them.
fightintxag13
AG
bobinator said:

We're not only going to go 12-6, we're going to walk exactly down the scenario that Prop Joe has been talking about, the bubble is going to massively shrink, and all of the other bubble teams are going to ball out in their conference tournaments, which this year will be weighed heavily.
Proposition Joe
I'm telling you... we're going 12-6, dropping the first game of the SEC Tournament, and then watching Joe Lunardi smirking as we're first four out stating "looks like Buzz got what he wished for and the committee weighing the conference tournaments more..."
gougler08
AG
This thread isn't fun today
fightintxag13
AG

I would do this to ole Joe if this scenario plays out...
caleblyn
I am going to take a shot at 14-4

AUB - WIN
@LSU - WIN
ARK - WIN
@MO - LOSS
TENN - LOSS
@MST - WIN
@OM - WIN
ALA - WIN

9 seed
AgLA06
AG
caleblyn said:

I am going to take a shot at 14-4

AUB - WIN
@LSU - WIN
ARK - WIN
@MO - LOSS
TENN - LOSS
@MST - WIN
@OM - WIN
ALA - WIN

9 seed
I wish. Arky is just a bad matchup. They were quicker to the ball and rebounded better. Something opposing teams shouldn't be able to say. And I don't think it was just the travel.

13-5

AUB - WIN
@LSU - WIN
ARK - LOSS
@MO - Win
TENN - LOSS
@MST - WIN
@OM - WIN
ALA - LOSS

greg.w.h
AG
bobinator said:

greg.w.h said:

I don't think any predictions have much merit. Showing up at Reed is more valuable than all the predictions as we saw against Georgia
Statements like this are why I know it's some kind of chatbot.
Ok…you're idiots to go to games. Feel better?
bobinator
AG
We missed 42 two point shots, shooting 34% INSIDE the arc, and had one of our worst free throw shooting nights in a while, and still had it to a 4 point game at the 4 minute mark.

We gave up too many offensive rebounds, but they gave up even more. Despite missing 22 (!!!) more shots than them we still outrebounded them by 6.

I not only think we're gonna beat Arkansas when we play them here, I don't think it's gonna be all that close.
AgLA06
AG
bobinator said:

We missed 42 two point shots, shooting 34% INSIDE the arc, and had one of our worst free throw shooting nights in a while, and still had it to a 4 point game at the 4 minute mark.

We gave up too many offensive rebounds, but they gave up even more. Despite missing 22 (!!!) more shots than them we still outrebounded them by 6.

I not only think we're gonna beat Arkansas when we play them here, I don't think it's gonna be all that close.
That would be nice.

Question is was that us or because of their quickness and length and contested shots. Seemed like every time we drove the lane it was blocked and everything around the rim was heavily contested.
CapCityAg89
AG
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

I am one of the most optimistic on here - but I think finishing the SEC regular season with a 7-1 or 8-0 mark to finish 15-3 or 16-2 (all achievable the way we are playing now and with our favorable home schedule - hosting the three or even four other top teams) - even winning the SEC Regular Season Title (which will take a couple of Alabama losses before their losing to us at Reed on final game of the regular season) gets us up to a 5 seed at best due to our nonconference performance.

It'll take THAT plus a run to the SECT finals (like last year) and possibly winning the whole thing to get us into "privileged" or "protected" NCAAT seed territory at 3 or 4.

Sorry. This is nuts. Absolutely zero way the regular season champ of a power 5 conference is a 5. None. That's at worst a 3 and maybe a 2. Non conference would go totally out the window in that situation.

Now, I also think there is almost no way we go 8-0 which is what it would take. Bama won't lose more than 2.
bobinator
AG
We took some contested shots, heck we had 13 shots blocked which is awful, but we still missed a ton of easy shots also, and I'd argue getting so many shots blocked was also a result of the fatigue factor. We just weren't as sharp as we normally are on the offensive end (which is saying something because we're never particularly sharp.)
Faustus
CapCityAg89 said:

Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

Sorry. This is nuts. Absolutely zero way the regular season champ of a power 5 conference is a 5. None. That's at worst a 3 and maybe a 2. Non conference would go totally out the window in that situation.

Now, I also think there is almost no way we go 8-0 which is what it would take. Bama won't lose more than 2.
Clemson is currently atop the ACC at 10-3, and was a projected 9 seed before this weekend's loss to Miami.

Oregon won the PAC 12 in 2020/21 season, and was a 7 seed.

https://pac-12.com/mens-basketball/standings?year=2020

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2022-07-20/2021-ncaa-bracket-scores-stats-records-march-madness-mens-tournament

Washington won the PAC 12 in the 2018/19 season, and was a 9 seed.

https://pac-12.com/mens-basketball/standings?year=2018

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-05-06/2019-ncaa-tournament-bracket-scores-stats-records
GrayMatter
AG
bobinator said:

We took some contested shots, heck we had 13 shots blocked which is awful, but we still missed a ton of easy shots also, and I'd argue getting so many shots blocked was also a result of the fatigue factor. We just weren't as sharp as we normally are on the offensive end (which is saying something because we're never particularly sharp.)
24 offensive rebounds our way and 18 turnovers for them tells me all I need to know about how it's gonna go on their trip to Reed Arena.
Complete Idiot
GrayMatter said:

bobinator said:

24 offensive rebounds our way and 18 turnovers for them tells me all I need to know about how it's gonna go on their trip to Reed Arena.
I tend to agree. We took 76 shots!
AG
Not that rankings matter too much, but 45 teams are receiving votes in the AP rankings today. How A&M isn't one of those teams blows my mind.
t-rex
AG
I have been skeptical and concerned about the hill we have to climb, but I'm really surprised here to not even see us in the 'First 4 Out'. Wow, that's concerning. Obviously he isn't on the committee, but not a good data point.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

t - cam
AG
t-rex said:

I have been skeptical and concerned about the hill we have to climb, but I'm really surprised here to not even see us in the 'First 4 Out'. Wow, that's concerning. Obviously he isn't on the committee, but not a good data point.

I didn't even see anywhere that listed the first 4 out.
t-rex
AG
t - cam said:

t-rex said:

I didn't even see anywhere that listed the first 4 out.
on the right hand side of the brackets
caleblyn
AgLA06 said:

bobinator said:

That would be nice.

Question is was that us or because of their quickness and length and contested shots. Seemed like every time we drove the lane it was blocked and everything around the rim was heavily contested.
I disagree. Verses Arkansas, someone can go check, but I am pretty sure that we did not make a FG from about the 10 minute mark until about the 3 minute mark. @ Arky has always been difficult. However, Arky at home is a different story. I agree with bob, we win, and I do believe it will be a hefty win by +15.

I also believe that, @ Missou will be one of our more difficult game remaining. They are more scrappy and quicker than Arky, in my opinion which is very odd that you think we lose to Arky, but beat Missou.
cs69ag
AG
Agree with Bobinator comments re Arky. Additionally Arky has not been good away from home.
Buzz will make the adjustments and we will get in their heads at Reed as their ears will be ringing.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Mizzou is extremely tough to beat at their place. I won't have good vibes going into that one.
CapCityAg89
AG
Fair enough. I should've been more clear: no way a regular season champ for a top 5 basketball conference (Big12, BIG, SEC, BigEast, ACC-ish).

And right now, we're tied for 2nd and not on the bubble. I think the world expects UVA to win the ACC although that conference is WAY down this year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.