Multiple NCAA assistant coaches arrested in corruption scheme

52,633 Views | 518 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
amercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rick lasted about 15 seconds after this broke
DTP02
AG
amercer said:

That's actually longer than he reportedly lasted on the dining room table of the Italian restaurant.
boboguitar
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Damnit adidas, wtf. Bring some recruits our way.
boboguitar
AG
amercer said:

There are pills for such a condition.
boboguitar
AG
Louisville Press Conference
birdman
Pitino and other head coaches might not get involved and get a piece of $50k bribes. It's chump change to them. I don't think he touches it.

However, they do have a contract and receive money from shoe companies. Pretty simple to tie that shoe contract to the bribery scheme.

You can also tie Pitino's big contract to the bribery scheme. That's what allowed him to get great recruits, go to Final Fours, etc - thus earning $7 million per year.

I don't think the head coaches will get hit as hard as assistants and shoe middlemen. But no way are they scot free.
Olsen
AG
Looks like neither Pitino nor Jurich were fired. They were placed on administrative leave (Pitino no pay, Jurich pay).
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Pitino "effectively" fired whatever that means.

WildcatAg
AG
Please, Please, Please, Please, Please let this be true
Quote:

BREAKING NEWS: Rick Pitino OUT at #Louisville. Tom Crean could emerge as interim head coach candidate.

EKG1996
AG
Are the players involved going to be allowed to play this season? Such as Brian Bowen?
boboguitar
AG
EKG1996 said:

Are the players involved going to be allowed to play this season? Such as Brian Bowen?
Nope, the president said they were suspended for now until after the investigation is finished.
Wizard
No matter how much of a corrupt degenerate Petino is, I still find him likeable for some reason.
Wizard
Still hoping the sips and Baylol are caught up in this and we come out smelling like a rose.
BenFiasco14
AG
boboguitar said:

EKG1996 said:

Nope, the president said they were suspended for now until after the investigation is finished.
swc93
AG

Quote:

I still find him likeable for some reason.
Repost this as the Devil and your username would check out.
McInnis80
I wonder if this is going to bring down the AAU system? When you have publicly traded companies such as Nike, Under Armour and Addias involved heavily with AAU teams, which is involved the agents, I would think that the shoe companies would be worried.

How much of the money that finances these elite AAU teams come from the shoe companies?
Bunk Moreland

Welcome to the party Nike
boboguitar
AG
Damn youre quick. Was just coming here to post that.
superunknown
AG
Wikipedia already has Tom Crean as interim HC of "University 6" and that is incredibly amusing to me.
LawHall88
AG
Another decommit:

boboguitar
AG
Nvm, fake
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Geez man, you managed to mention politics and football, just go for the trifecta and ***** for Sumlin to be fired. lol
BenFiasco14
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Guess they should've stuck with making hijabs instead of shoes
LawHall88
AG
And another:

Pumpkinhead
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Oregon, NIKE's flagship school, has recruited really really well.
Pumpkinhead
AG

amercer
AG
DTP02 said:

amercer said:

That's actually longer than he reportedly lasted on the dining room table of the Italian restaurant.

Pumpkinhead
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
Tucson article concerned that Arizona's 2018 recruiting class could now go up in smoke, among other things.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/bruce-pascoe-what-book-richardson-s-case-could-mean-for/article_ea0a9580-a2ff-11e7-bd27-5ba59dd5b18b.html

Apparently one of their current 2018 commits is almost certainly not going to be playing for Zona now:

Quote:

Jahvon Quinerly is unlikely to play for Arizona, and may not play college ball at all. Quinerly appears to be the player given money from agents through Richardson and if the NCAA finds he took it, Quinerly could be suspended for part or all of his freshman season (though it may be more likely at this point he doesn't play college ball at all, and just plays professionally overseas before joining the 2019 NBA Draft).
aezmvp
Pumpkinhead said:

Dear. God.
bobinator
AG
I'll be honest, this seems like a lot of taxpayer money spent to investigate something that isn't really costing anyone in the public anything.

I know they can make this a federal thing because of the bribery and now they're trying to say that causing an athlete to be ineligible can be a federal offense, but I'm not really sure it should be.

The question to me is who are the victims here. I know that for legal purposes they're trying to frame this as fraud with the schools themselves as the victims because they receive federal funding, but the athletic departments don't really. Certainly not ones like Louisville or Oklahoma State.

The schools are not the victims, they allowed this to happen. The government and the taxpayers aren't victims because there's no federal funding going to these sort of programs. The players themselves are maybe victims in the sense that this funding scheme excludes them, but that's not what this is about.

As nice as it would be to see the whole "amateurism" system come crashing down, I'm not sure that it's a great way to spend taxpayer money.

Goose
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

When asked how he knew BBB was clean in all this, Lavar Ball proudly responded by saying, "We make the schools pay full retail for our **** just like e'rybody else!"
DTP02
AG
bobinator said:

I'll be honest, this seems like a lot of taxpayer money spent to investigate something that isn't really costing anyone in the public anything.

I know they can make this a federal thing because of the bribery and now they're trying to say that causing an athlete to be ineligible can be a federal offense, but I'm not really sure it should be.

The question to me is who are the victims here. I know that for legal purposes they're trying to frame this as fraud with the schools themselves as the victims because they receive federal funding, but the athletic departments don't really. Certainly not ones like Louisville or Oklahoma State.

The schools are not the victims, they allowed this to happen. The government and the taxpayers aren't victims because there's no federal funding going to these sort of programs. The players themselves are maybe victims in the sense that this funding scheme excludes them, but that's not what this is about.

As nice as it would be to see the whole "amateurism" system come crashing down, I'm not sure that it's a great way to spend taxpayer money.

I agree that in the post-9/11 world I'm not sure I really want the FBI prioritizing this investigation, but they did kind of stumble into it via the securities fraud investigation and just followed the strings. I'd more bothered by a misallocation of investigative resources if they set out initially to break this thing open.
JJxvi
AG
It could be argued that the undoubtedly squeaky clean, federally funded institutions like Texas A&M, that play by all the rules, both NCAA and the law of land, are who gets harmed and defrauded since they aren't able to compete on a level playing field with the rest who use their illegal corruption and inducements.
bobinator
AG
DTP02 said:

bobinator said:

I agree that in the post-9/11 world I'm not sure I really want the FBI prioritizing this investigation, but they did kind of stumble into it via the securities fraud investigation and just followed the strings. I'd more bothered by a misallocation of investigative resources if they set out initially to break this thing open.

Agreed, but they're definitely allocating resources to it now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.