Multiple NCAA assistant coaches arrested in corruption scheme

52,351 Views | 518 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Well this is going to get dirty.
Bunk Moreland
Apparently centering around brand(s) working with assistants to pressure and bribe athletes into wearing certain brands. Adidas seems to be at the center of it.
Bunk Moreland

Representatives of Adidas also arrested.
hurleyag
AG
Emanuel Richardson of Arizona
Tony Bland of USC
Bunk Moreland
hopefully no current or former A&M assistants are puckering their buttholes over this.

Looks like schools representing all 3 major brands are being implicated, plus someone who works at Adidas.
Bunk Moreland

Bunk Moreland
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998746/download

Brutal evidence against Person. Worked with a cooperating witness to accept $50k as a bribe to steer players towards who the witness was representing.
Bunk Moreland
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998751/download

Complaint against Adidas executive Jim Gatto
DeangeloVickers
AG
Im shocked it's only 4...I wouldve thought 50
boboguitar
AG
Hop, not all coaches have been named yet, how worried should we be? We are an adidas school as well and we had stansbury...
_lefraud_
AG
Just wait until they start talking.
wacarnolds
AG

Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

100K AND free hookers.

But according to Pitino, he knows nothing about any of this.
wacarnolds
AG
boboguitar said:

Hop, not all coaches have been named yet, how worried should we be? We are an adidas school as well and we had stansbury...

Staff, blink once if you have information indicating our coaches committed a federal crime
mdanyc03
AG
boboguitar said:

What does being an Adidas school have to do with anything? All three shoe companies have been implicated.
safety guy
AG
This may be the beginning of the end of college basketball as we know it. Can see the nba step in with an expanded d league in the near future to set up a system like mlb. They have been resistant but if money dries up for the college kids, someone has to step up.
mhayden
University-7 is almost certainly Univ. of Miami.
Pumpkinhead
AG

Quote:

This may be the beginning of the end of college basketball as we know it. Can see the nba step in with an expanded d league in the near future to set up a system like mlb. They have been resistant but if money dries up for the college kids, someone has to step up.

When they pull back the curtain like this, more and more I'm wondering if NBA Player Development Academies as Mark Cuban has been pushing is eventually just the way things should go. Where NBA teams are managing the development of and own the rights of elite basketball youths.

Yes, that would hurt college basketball because the overall talent level we would be watching in college wouldn't be as high. College hoops would be more like baseball where top-tier players generally not bother with college but just go straight to the NBA. But maybe that would be for the best.

As you mentioned, the block right now to going in this direction is not all 30 NBA teams appear to be willing to pay for operating their NBA Development League/Academy. But that might certainly be where the situation eventually ends up at.

https://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2015/01/05/nba-youth-academy-alternative-aau-ncaa-basketball-development/

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/9/21/16341796/nba-aau-fc-dallas-player-development
WildcatAg
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

"We got lucky on this one," Pitino told Terry Meiners of News Radio 840. "I had an AAU director call me and ask me if I'd be interested in a player (Bowen). I saw him against another great player from Indiana. I said 'Yeah, I'd be really interested.' They had to come in unofficially, pay for their hotel, pay for their meals. We spent zero dollars recruiting a five-star athlete who I loved when I say him play. In my 40 years of coaching this is the luckiest I've been."
Wearamaskaggie
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/72kart/fbi_arrests_several_ncaa_asst_coaches_in/

Running list of coaches and officials caught up in the scandal here.
EKG1996
AG
Rule needs to be go straight to NBA or spend three years in college.

mdanyc03
AG
EKG1996 said:

What does that solve?
Pumpkinhead
AG
WildcatAg said:

Pumpkinhead said:

"We got lucky on this one," Pitino told Terry Meiners of News Radio 840. "I had an AAU director call me and ask me if I'd be interested in a player (Bowen). I saw him against another great player from Indiana. I said 'Yeah, I'd be really interested.' They had to come in unofficially, pay for their hotel, pay for their meals. We spent zero dollars recruiting a five-star athlete who I loved when I say him play. In my 40 years of coaching this is the luckiest I've been."
'We spent zero dollars' recruiting Bowen was merely Pitino's way of saying that a booster paid the 100K.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Just the amount of money

How much is a good player worth to an assistant coach?!?!? If you are winning your salary goes higher...what's easier////getting a really good player or coaching your decent players up.
GE
AG
mdanyc03 said:

EKG1996 said:

What does that solve?
Defers the benefit that agents and companies can get from paying the players and somewhat disincentivizes it.. Also increases my entertainment.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Ryno01 said:

How much is a good player worth to an assistant coach?!?!?
We no longer have to guess answers to such questions. 50K if you are Auburn assistant Chuck Person. 100K if a 5-star will go to Louisville.
Agvinh98
AG
Where are you finding the descriptions of the schools?
mhayden
The linked files above have them.
Agvinh98
AG
Thanks. Was hoping there was a single place that had them listed so I didn't have to wade through all that.
tysker
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Quote:

When they pull back the curtain like this, more and more I'm wondering if NBA Player Development Academies as Mark Cuban has been pushing is eventually just the way things should go. Where NBA teams are managing the development of and own the rights of elite basketball youths.

Yes, that would hurt college basketball because the overall talent level we would be watching in college wouldn't be as high. College hoops would be more like baseball where top-tier players generally not bother with college but just go straight to the NBA. But maybe that would be for the best.
Basically like professional soccer.
JJxvi
AG
University-1 complaint against Chuck Person = Auburn. Chuck Person is alleged to have taken bribes from agents to steer Auburn players to the agent's firm.

mhayden
And all of you idiots wanted Bruce Pearl. mhayden hopes no one searches his posting history and sees that he wasn't against hiring Bruce Pearl
JJxvi
AG
University-6 = Lousiville, and University 7=Miami.

From the complaint against Jim Gatto, adidas exec. Adidas paying for players to go to those schools, presumably as part of continuing sponsor apparel relationship to continue from AAU-College-Preofessional levels with those players.
CrottyKid
AG
Follow @joesonka. He is all over it.
Also, press conference startals now.
JJxvi
AG
University-2 = South Carolina

University-3 = Oklahoma State

University-4 = Arizona

University-5 = Southern Cal

From the complaint against Lamont Evans, Emanuel Richardson, Anthony Bland, Christian Dawkins, and Munish Sood for similar shenanigans regarding influencing players in return for money, and paying players.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.