Multiple NCAA assistant coaches arrested in corruption scheme

53,784 Views | 518 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

I still haven't seen anything that's convincing me that this is changing anything long term.

As you pointed out, as long as there is this artificial dam trying to prevent these talented kids from receiving the $ that they're worth, there will be people trying to get around it.
JJxvi
AG
The only real solution IMO, is to end the ban on personal endorsements. It wont be fair from a competitive balance standpoint, but I dont think it would be inherently unfair long term either. Outright paying a salary instead of scholarships is just a way into madness.
mhayden
We've got a ****ton of money -- why do we want it to be fair?
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Lol not true at all. There's quite a few dumbasses here that would be the village idiot over there.
Serious Lee
consider the source, but im sure this isnt what alot of us wanted to hear:

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2017/9/27/16377252/texas-and-the-ncaa-basketball-scandal-rick-pitino-is-sooooo-screwed

Quote:

trying to triangulate a general opinion of the basketball program from people who don't have a vested interest in pumping up the Longhorns or feeding me a line of BS. The vast majority of them express the same sentiment: Texas plays a pretty clean game. The prevailing opinion is that Shaka Smart and his staff are making an honest effort to recruit the right way.
Quote:

they made their point that the Texas coaching staff isn't likely at risk of being ensnared in the current NCAA scandal. One person went so far as to say Shaka was happy to stay at VCU, and chose Texas in part because he felt it was one of the few schools where he could be successful without engaging in the shadier side of basketball recruiting
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2017/9/27/16377252/texas-and-the-ncaa-basketball-scandal-rick-pitino-is-sooooo-screwed

Quote:

...and chose Texas in part because he felt it was one of the few schools where he could be successful without engaging in the shadier side of basketball recruiting

LOL...sure!
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

I still haven't seen anything that's convincing me that this is changing anything long term.

WAY too early to assert this. We're only 2 days in to even a lot of people knowing about it. I dare say there are college basketball fans that still don't know. I don't read sports media or watch ESPN. I wouldn't know much at all about this had I not been on here.
91AggieLawyer
AG
So right now, is it worse to be associated with Adidas or to have been in the running for the recruits at the center of this stuff?
Guitarsoup
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

So right now, is it worse to be associated with Adidas or to have been in the running for the recruits at the center of this stuff?
Way worse to be going after recruits that are known to have taken payments.

A&M offered none of the eight guys in the probe. Texas offered several and had Crystal Balls going their way on two or three. Texas also just landed a top 5 recruiting class with a top 3 player during an 11-20 season.

I like where we are at better.
Pumpkinhead
AG

Coaches too busy dealing with other stuff right now...
2008and1
AG

Seems he knew...
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Coaches too busy dealing with other stuff right now

Yeah, like hiring lawyers. I better get off Texags!
Guitarsoup
AG
hurleyag
AG
Did he retweet himself in the last one?
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
hurleyag said:

Did he retweet himself in the last one?

Looks like it...emphasis!?
Guitarsoup
AG
Olds on social media
bobinator
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

WAY too early to assert this. We're only 2 days in to even a lot of people knowing about it. I dare say there are college basketball fans that still don't know. I don't read sports media or watch ESPN. I wouldn't know much at all about this had I not been on here.
Well that's why I said "still haven't."

A lot of people though are already writing that this is going to change the landscape of college hoops and all sorts of crazy things. I'm just saying that I haven't seen anything that makes me thing this is actually a huge deal that's going to create seismic changes in college hoops yet.

Could happen, just haven't seen anything that crazy yet.
bobinator
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

Quote:

trying to triangulate a general opinion of the basketball program from people who don't have a vested interest in pumping up the Longhorns or feeding me a line of BS. The vast majority of them express the same sentiment: Texas plays a pretty clean game. The prevailing opinion is that Shaka Smart and his staff are making an honest effort to recruit the right way.
Quote:

they made their point that the Texas coaching staff isn't likely at risk of being ensnared in the current NCAA scandal. One person went so far as to say Shaka was happy to stay at VCU, and chose Texas in part because he felt it was one of the few schools where he could be successful without engaging in the shadier side of basketball recruiting

I don't know why everyone is so gung-ho on Texas getting caught up on all this. I could maybe see it if it goes back far enough to involve their Grassroots Canada stuff, but Shaka Smart's staff doesn't seem to have done anything too crazy.

I kind of have the same line of thinking on Baylor. Unless this rolls back 7-8 years, I don't think they're going to get them for anything too crazy.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Well that's why I said "still haven't."

That's like saying you haven't seen any evidence a football team can score prior to them even getting their first possession.
bobinator
AG
No, it's saying that I'm not too convinced that this is that big of a deal while the national media seem to think it's going to reshape college basketball as we know it.

It's more like I've seen two field goals kicked and I'm not ready to say the game is going to be an offensive shootout.
DTP02
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

Quote:

Quote:

I know for a fact that they cheated under Barnes.

"Consider the source" was the key term in that analysis.

However, there are all kinds of cheating, and the booster-driven stuff, which is what I know about, isn't necessarily going to come to light in this investigation--- at any school.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

It's more like I've seen two field goals kicked and I'm not ready to say the game is going to be an offensive shootout.

4 assistant coaches arrested on the same day; one of the premiere programs has both its coach and AD fired; one of the largest shoe and apparel companies in the world (around for 40+ years) that supplies to a lot of universities has a big-wig arrested and indicted. Players getting suspended all over the country. And you call that 2 field goals?

When has anything close to this happened in the college game before? The BC and ASU point shaving scandals involved ONE school and only 1-2 players.

I think you largely know what you're talking about even if I don't always agree, but here, it would be a lot easier to back off your comment than double down on it. But, whatever.

The football analogy is this: the ball is in the air from the opening kickoff. It is no farther along than that.
Goose
AG
I think the big differentiator here is that the FBI is doing the investigating instead of the NCAA. When the NCAA investigates things, they tend to back off before things become way too nasty....Can't have the member institutions taking too big a hit on things. But when the government steps in, they won't be anywhere near as anxious to back off. And once those arrested start talking, there'll be plenty more names for the FBI to start digging into.
bobinator
AG
There's a difference between something being a big deal right now and thinking that it's going to have lasting effects on the way college basketball recruiting operates.

I obviously agree it's a big deal in the moment, you've had one of the biggest coaches in the game, one that's survived scandal after scandal, actually take the fall. That's a big deal. But we already knew Louisville's program was dirty, that's not anything new.

All I'm saying is that I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think this is going to change the way this world operates long term. I was in this world for a while when I was a reporter, and all I'm saying is that nothing that's come out so far makes me think "man, the system is over."

And I readily admit it could happen. Maybe they get enough people rolling on people and it starts implicating so many people that it's clear that this is what everyone is doing and the whole system really does change.
bobinator
AG
I guess my bigger point is that I'm still in wait-and-see mode where a lot of national writers are already saying it might be the end of college hoops amateurism as we know it. (Sports Illustrated, USA Today, ESPN...)

So while I understand why you're saying it's too early to say for sure it won't, I'm just also saying it's too early to say it will.
Pumpkinhead
AG
This is the FBI New York field office leading this basketball corruption case, the field office that handles some of the toughest cases in the nation and has a really high conviction rate. These are the guys that go after terrorists and the mafia. Not sure what their endgame is here, and arresting coaches may very well be simply small fish they are rolling up to take down bigger game, but I am sure they have one.
Guitarsoup
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

This is the FBI New York field office leading this basketball corruption case, the field office that handles some of the toughest cases in the nation and has a really high conviction rate. These are the guys that go after terrorists and the mafia. Not sure what their endgame is here, and arresting coaches may very well be simply small fish they are rolling up to take down bigger game, but I am sure they have one.
It started with someone that was in violation of the Securities laws in New York and branched out from there
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

Prison. There will be people that go to prison over this more than likely. Its one thing in the past where you get caught and you get fired and then go find another job. Doing possible time is very different.
jml2621
free_mhayden said:

We've got a ****ton of money -- why do we want it to be fair?
Steal their oil!!
jml2621
Guitarsoup said:

Pumpkinhead said:

It started with someone that was in violation of the Securities laws in New York and branched out from there

These guys are relentless - they will chase leads down any rabbit hole without intimidation.

But the questions re: End Game and how much of a leash do they have are good ones...and safe to assume the NCAA won't do a lot on their own, as their investigations are stirred by self-reporting and public information. They CAN use whatever information the FBI deems portable...but they won't see the full monty.

We all know this is the tip of the iceberg...

jml2621
MarcAg said:

bobinator said:

Prison. There will be people that go to prison over this more than likely. Its one thing in the past where you get caught and you get fired and then go find another job. Doing possible time is very different.
...and fine the **** out of you. Worse than a Burn Notice.
Dudeman_Ag
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
MarcAg said:

bobinator said:

The Arizona assistant coach who was arrested is facing a maximum sentence of $1.5 million fine and 60 years in prison. It is going to be real hard for these guys to not cut a deal with the Feds and tell them everything they know.

eb93
AG
Why is everyone insinuating Stansbury is dirty?
basic8
eb93 said:

Why is everyone insinuating Stansbury is dirty?
Don't know, but Aggies dodged a bullet on staff a few years before Stansbury. The term "great recruiter" with "great relationships" went off the rails years ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.