Multiple NCAA assistant coaches arrested in corruption scheme

52,848 Views | 518 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
eb93 said:

Why is everyone insinuating Stansbury is dirty?
I don't know if anything has ever been substantiated, but there have always been rumors around him.

His first year at Western Kentucky and he pulled a top 10 player and ended with a top 10 class, beating out North Carolina. At WESTERN KENTUCKY.

I'm not saying he is dirty, because I don't have any knowledge of that at all and I have never heard of a specific allegation about him. I don't think he has ever had an NCAA infraction.

But people have said that stuff about him for a long time. The 'message board rumors' about him go back well over a decade. And a top 10 class beating out UNC at WK is pretty incredible.
mazzag
AG
Is western Kentucky an Adidas school?
CactusThomas
AG
LA Gear, I believe.
Bunk Moreland
mazzag said:

Went from Russell athletic to Nike this past summer
mazzag
AG
St and A&M are adidas schools and if a top 10 class gets western Kentucky Nike the connection would be an agent linked to the shoe company.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Another 2018 decommit due to the assistant coach arrests. A 6'-6" 4-star wing (ranked #71 nationally on 247 composite)

Then a couple of hours later:

Pumpkinhead
AG
So, what are the betting odds that Pearl more or less says 'I'm shocked, just shocked to find out this was going on'?

West Point Aggie
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

So, what are the betting odds that Pearl more or less says 'I'm shocked, just shocked that this was going on'?

You mean as shocked as Pitino was?
Pumpkinhead
AG
The Feds conducted a raid on this sports agent on Tuesday

Now today:

Spurs 2017 NBA draft pick also dropping that raided sports agent

cjo03
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

mazzag said:

Went from Russell athletic to Nike this past summer

when do bball recruiting classes get ranked?

western Kentucky announced Nike partnership back in April. I'll pretend they lured Nike fanboy recruits after that. without bribes.

I've never followed bball recruiting... until it started blowing up my business wire.
Pumpkinhead
AG
eb93
AG
Who knew Bobby Petrino would be the less embarrassing major program coach at Louisville?
West Point Aggie
AG
eb93 said:

Who knew Bobby Petrino would be the less embarrassing major program coach at Louisville?

Petrino was just a cooter-chaser...hell of a coach, bit of a sleaze ball...Pitino is in an entirely different level
mazzag
AG
Kinda hard to top paying a mistress to have an abortion.
DeangeloVickers
AG
mikesyracuse1
mazzag said:

They just switched to Nike this summer.

Mikesyracuse1
EastSideAg2002
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20847512/nike-elite-youth-basketball-league-served-subpoena-sources
wacarnolds
AG
West Point Aggie said:

eb93 said:

Petrino was just a cooter-chaser...hell of a coach, bit of a sleaze ball...Pitino is in an entirely different level

Petrino's embarrassing resume was lengthy prior to him boning the athletic department staffer
JJxvi
AG
Myles Turner says he went to Texas and they are "squeaky clean" and he's not worried at all that his agents office got raided and he's going nowhere. So I guess you can all stop hoping for Texas to get hit y'all.
bobinator
AG
JJxvi said:

Myles Turner says he went to Texas and they are "squeaky clean" and he's not worried at all that his agents office got raided and he's going nowhere. So I guess you can all stop hoping for Texas to get hit y'all.
I think if Texas ever had any real shady deals going on, it would have been back during the Durant/grassroots canada pipeline days. That's not to say there hasn't been any run-of-the-mill standard stuff going on since, but that was the only time that I ever got the impression Texas was going above and beyond.

Programs that usually get caught at this stuff are programs who are trying to get into the game and aren't very good at it yet. Programs that have been playing it a long time are usually so well covered and have such a system set up that there's almost no way I could see them getting their head coach. An exception here is obviously Louisville, who seems to have lost their mind over the last decade when it comes to this stuff.

Will be interesting to see if this keeps unraveling during the season.
hurleyag
AG
eb93 said:

Why is everyone insinuating Stansbury is dirty?
Isn't he in on one of the recruits accused of accepting money?
bobinator
AG
Stansbury has been accused of being dirty for about 30 years now. I imagine if you polled all college basketball coaches and asked them to rank the dirtiest coaches in the game, he'd be solidly in the top 5.
wacarnolds
AG
Some thoughts from Huggins

bobinator
AG
Huggins has been running dirty programs his whole career, but more Baylor football dirty than Baylor basketball dirty. I'm not sure he's a great moral compass for college basketball.
Pumpkinhead
AG
The Ringer's podcast on this:

https://www.theringer.com/2017/9/27/16376560/td-up-college-basketball-adidas-fbi-rick-pitino-scandal

A couple of opinions in the podcast that I found interesting:

- They were not surprised it was Adidas that got busted first. Impression was Adidas had been most aggressive and blatant of the shoe companies in terms of trying to funnel as many young players as possible to its brand. Opined that it was a 'throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and hope something sticks' strategy. What they are hoping is that one of the young players they get their hooks into eventually turns out to be the next LeBron, Kobe, Curry, Westbrook, James Harden, etc. and if that happens then the profit off of one superstar NBA player can be huge.

- That a 5-star player funneled to one of these schools by the shoe company by not even be a player that the coach actually wants. But the coach has to go along accepting the player because the shoe company is paying a bunch of money sponsoring the school so is what it is. Talked about a few cases particularly at Kansas that looked suspiciously like that situation when a high profile 5-star went there and then Self just stuck the guy mostly at the end of his bench.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

Huggins has been running dirty programs his whole career, but more Baylor football dirty than Baylor basketball dirty. I'm not sure he's a great moral compass for college basketball.

Agree that Huggins' programs have not exactly been on the up-and-up. Similar to Drew or Briles I guess, although Huggins has the decency to leave God out of it.

Has Huggins had domestic violence issues like Briles?
bobinator
AG
I know he's had players-getting-arrested problems and famously had academic problems. I don't know the specifics of what the players were doing back in his Cincinnati days.
Serious Lee
wacarnolds said:

Has Huggins had domestic violence issues like Briles?
not like briles, but i remember one of their starting guards got drunk and into a fight at a pro baseball game a few weeks before we played them in that preseason tourney. dont think he missed any games either, certainly not ours.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

LA Gear

Seriously? They're still around?

All I buy is running shoes and Ecco. Occasionally Merrell.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Maybe this has been asked here and I missed it, but aren't all the kids that are de-committing sort of painting a HUGE target on themselves? I mean, there may be legit reasons but my first thought is the latest check didn't clear.
CDub06
AG
I don't see it like that at all. Their coaches are getting fired and possible sanctions are looming. Who knows what the fallout is going to be? I'd look for a more stable spot to land too.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I don't think it's painting a target on themselves at all. Especially if you were committed to Louisville.
Deputy Travis Junior
So excited about all of this. There's going to be a bounty of coaching talent hitting the market in 3-4 years when they all get out of jail.
swc93
AG
Think of all the un-tapped talent they can find behind bars that will still have eligibility left.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Interesting read from Sports Illustrated taking the viewpoint that this is a ridiculous overreach by the Federal Government.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/09/29/college-basketball-corruption-scandal

Quote:

The scandal has already likely cost Rick Pitino his job at Louisville, and you can be sure he's only the first of the significant dominoes to fall because this was, you will pardon the expression, a fullcourt press. The FBI got wiretap warrants and bugged the coaches and the shoe company reps. The investigation began when the Feds flipped a shady financial adviser in Pittsburgh who cooperated to keep from spending decades studying institutional dining at one of our finer federal establishments. (The latest reports have Nike in the crosshairs, too, which should surprise approximately nobody.) But, as loud and garish as this announcement was, the whole matter simply reeks of prosecutorial overreach and show-pony justice. It is intriguing to speculate why that might be.

Quote:

What the FBI did, and with our money, too, is to turn into the NCAA's enforcement division and weaponize the ridiculous NCAA rulebook through the federal criminal justice system. Now, paying an athlete can do more than cost you a trip to the Outback Bowl. It can send you to the federal sneezer for a few years. This is a preposterous state of affairs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.