Multiple NCAA assistant coaches arrested in corruption scheme

52,511 Views | 518 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
Clavell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Boxes and bags of shredded documents?
Ol Jock 99
AG
EastSideAg2002 said:

I wonder if baylol will come out in this mess. Then they could change their school motto to:
"Rape, murder, arson laundering, rape."
"You said rape twice"
"Well, we really like rape at Baylor"
Guitarsoup
AG
Pitino walking in

Four minutes later, walking out.

themissinglink
AG
Interesting podcast. If you listen at about the 32nd minute, they talk about that the reason Turgeon took the Maryland job is because he knew Under Armor would "help him".

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/podcast-a-long-conversation-about-the-fbi-investigation-rocking-college-basketball/
bobinator
AG
Under Armor didn't help him much or they'd have gotten the Harrison Twins.

The real question in all of this is how high and how many people will roll on other people vs whether or not a few people take the fall for the whole system.

I'd think you could probably bring down just about every major basketball program to some degree if enough people were hell bent on staying out of jail.
swc93
AG
Pitino would bring it down if he gets indicted. Kicking and screaming that he was only doing it to compete with everyone else in the corrupt system; blame the system not me...
JJxvi
AG
Unless Pitino was in charge of creating the whole conspiracy (doubtful), taking money for himself (doubtful), or paying out the money himself (doubtful), then I doubt he really has serious legal issues.
bobinator
AG
I could maybe see that if he does get indicted, but I doubt that happens. He'll land a cushy job in the NBA, maybe a few people do a bit of jailtime, and the world will keep on spinning.

Everyone loves freaking out any time something happens, and admittedly this is probably the most extreme case so far, but I still don't see all the dots that this is going to drastically shift college basketball yet. Maybe it will, but I'm not seeing it yet.

Everyone thought UNC was going down when they're basically operating a diploma mill and yet...?
swc93
AG
Feds involved with UNC investigation? Thought it was just NCAA.
Pumpkinhead
AG
JJxvi said:

Unless Pitino was in charge of creating the whole conspiracy (doubtful), taking money for himself (doubtful), or paying out the money himself (doubtful), then I doubt he really has serious legal issues.
Pitino is/was making 7.8 million per year. Highest paid college basketball coach. I doubt he risked taking relatively small kickbacks that would get him in serious legal trouble. You never know cause you see people do dumb stuff all the time. But probably not.

He is going to get fired though and he had $19 million dollars left on his contract that UofL probably won't be willing to pay. So this situation, although no risk of jail time, is going to cost him millions of dollars.
jml2621
swc93 said:

Not to my knowledge, although they should be because Pell Grant $$ is involved.
JJxvi
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

JJxvi said:

Pitino is/was making 7.8 million per year. Highest paid college basketball coach. I doubt he risked taking relatively small kickbacks that would get him in serious legal trouble. You never know cause you see people do dumb stuff all the time. But probably not.

He is going to get fired though and he had $19 million dollars left on his contract that UofL probably won't be willing to pay. So this situation, although no risk of jail time, is going to cost him millions of dollars.
I agree. He's got employment issues and NCAA issues for sure. Just doubtful about legal ones.
cjo03
AG
themissinglink said:

because he knew Under Armor would "help him".

See Guitarsoup... the "rival" was UA. Nike is clean as a whistle!
swc93
AG
Maybe he needed cash to pay off another waitress
jml2621
CactusThomas said:

claym711 said:

I would take Perino in a heart beat

Random, but OK.

Are we taking 15 sec worth?

bobinator
AG
swc93 said:

Edit, the Justice Department doesn't appear to actually be involved, though a former Justice Department official is who issues the Wainstein Report.

I assumed because it was an academic scandal that the feds were at least moderately involved, but I can't seem to find a direct connection.
Guitarsoup
AG
Adidas hired Tom Jurich's daughter just before Louisville signed Adidas.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/36464932/adidas-hired-tom-jurichs-daughter-months-before-160-million-deal-with-university-of-louisville
Guitarsoup
AG
cjo03 said:

themissinglink said:

The other schools Player 11 was talking to were Nike schools. Texas in particular.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Adidas hired Tom Jurich's daughter just before Louisville signed Adidas.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/36464932/adidas-hired-tom-jurichs-daughter-months-before-160-million-deal-with-university-of-louisville

This stuff is gonna run deep. I mean I would be shocked if NCAA investigators don't have free Adidas when they take the job.
Guitarsoup
AG
Interesting because Jurich can't fire Pitino according to his contract.

Topher17
AG
Guitarsoup said:

cjo03 said:

themissinglink said:

The other schools Player 11 was talking to were Nike schools. Texas in particular.
I will be interested to see if this investigation goes beyond Adidas and Adidas schools. It is already apparent there are other apparel companies and schools involved, but I'll be interested to see if the Feds actually have anything on them/go after them too.

So far it seems we may be in the clear on this. I hope that remains the case as more comes out and this goes deeper.
Clavell
AG
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/reports-rick-pitino-fired-louisville-following-fbi-investigation/

He gone

Quote:

Rick Pitino has officially been fired by the University of Louisville in connection to an FBI investigation.
Quote:

It appears the investigation was the last straw for Pitino with the university. He has officially been fired as of Wednesday. Louisville AD Tom Jurich was also fired Wednesday.
Bunk Moreland

Yum is the sponsor of Louisville's practice facility
bobinator
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Yum is the sponsor of Louisville's practice facility

You're saying Yum! brands could be involved? if Taco Bell was paying guys to go to Boise, this would be the best scandal ever.
boboguitar
AG
Pitino is gone

Bunk Moreland
haha, just wanted to make sure people understand it was the practice facility, not Yum! corporate.
Guitarsoup
AG
cjo03 said:

themissinglink said:

Barkley using Nike to try to get Dirk to go to Auburn.
mazzag
AG
Louisville PC at 1 ET on espn
miller0926
AG
cjo03
AG
Guitarsoup said:

cjo03 said:

themissinglink said:

Barkley using Nike to try to get Dirk to go to Auburn.

but Nike said go home Chuck, you're drunk!

funny video.. "dude you're 7 feet tall you can't join the army... what you gonna hide behind??"
Guitarsoup
AG
Not so fast my friend.

DTP02
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Not so fast my friend.

Just a technicality I think because the regents have to meet to officially fire him. More accurate to say he's been suspended until we can meet and fire him.
Serious Lee
or they just dont like people upstaging their press conference
Bunk Moreland
could also just be semantics re: the process for firing both. Maybe they've both been put on immediate leave while UL investigates, but that is just buying time to officially and legally fire them.
Guitarsoup
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.